gogol bordello

PDA

View Full Version : gogol bordello

gogolbordello
03-18-2006, 02:49 AM
Just wondering if anyone else listens to them. I started listening to them a few days ago, and they make very good, unique, and interesting music.

They're very obscure, don't listen to them if you don't have a very open musical mind. It's basically.. gypsy punk. They're from a southeastern European country, Romania or Ukraine I think.

Anyway, everyone on this site sould listen to Immigrant Punk, Start Wearing Purple, and Sex Spider. 3 of the best songs ever.

die_kenny_die
03-18-2006, 02:57 AM
i only have one song, start wearing purple. but they're awesome just for that one.

kanttouchthis
03-18-2006, 02:58 AM
never heard of them ill try them out

maybe

sargasm
03-18-2006, 03:53 AM
I have Mussolini vs. Stalin on a mix someone made for me.

It's a really cool song. I've been meaning to check out more of their stuff.

phobos
03-18-2006, 04:17 AM
seeing one of their shows (ok...i saw them on Warped Tour) is a rush. so fun. their booth was empty the entire day (i noticed because i was meaning to hit it up). needless to say, right after the end of their set a hoarde of people were there.

pInK_eLePhAnT
03-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Yeah, they're wicked. I've seen them twice, and met the singer and violinist, both who are very foreign but very cool.
Glad to see some other people are finally starting to take notice of them.

Andrewbiles
03-18-2006, 08:22 AM
^ Even heard them get airplay on Radio 1 a couple of weeks ago :eek:

Got 'Gypsy punks' off emusic a few months back and enjoyed it for a short while, but it grew thin quite quickly.

pInK_eLePhAnT
03-18-2006, 09:28 AM
^ Even heard them get airplay on Radio 1 a couple of weeks ago :eek:

Haha yeah, I was quite disturbed when I heard 'start wearing purple' on Radio One! :p:

Iluvpowerchords
03-18-2006, 12:31 PM
I saw them last July with Flogging Molly. When they started their set my friends and I were kinda confused. By the end of their set I'd bought their CD.........and a t Shirt. Ya gotta love Eugene's moustache.

EDIT: Hey, this is my 2,000th post!

sargasm
03-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I've been downloading more of their stuff.

It's awesome.

I'm a little dissapointed now though, because I seem to recall hearing of them coming here not too long ago. I would have gone had I known how awesome they were.

newyorkdolls138
03-19-2006, 05:19 PM
I've been into them for a long time.

I have the new albulm and like 20 various songs from other ones.
the new albulm isn't as good as the previous 3 or 4 either.

KingsOfRonin
03-20-2006, 01:58 PM
They are an odd band. When I first heard one of their songs (Start Wearing Purple), I didn't know whether to take them seriously or to laugh until I peed my pants. I peed my pants, then I listened to somemore of their stuff, and currently.....I think they're awesome. They're on tour with Zox right now. I want to see that show so bad.

whyvern
03-25-2006, 11:27 AM
They're ok... they're not foreign though, they're from New York City... I mean the singer is an immigrant, his moustache kinda reminds me of the Zom Zoms.

JohnnyNapalm
03-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Can someone gmail the album?

LiLFLiP
03-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Slightly off-topic, but the singer, Eugene Hutz, was in Everything is Illuminated with Elijah Wood.

sargasm
03-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Slightly off-topic, but the singer, Eugene Hutz, was in Everything is Illuminated with Elijah Wood.

That was a really good book. I hope the movie doesn't suck.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
03-26-2006, 01:39 AM

Gypsy Punks is on one of the accounts.

vlp_dope
03-26-2006, 02:41 AM

what's that?

alliwant
04-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Gogol Bordello are awesome. Really refreshing.

sumfears
06-12-2006, 06:55 PM
i love "start wearing purple" I heard it on Warped tour '05 and started searching for them.

the unique sound is refreshing

Chaise Boogie
06-12-2006, 07:08 PM
I was in FYE a few months ago and I randomly picked up there cd without ever having heard them. I liked it.

They're very different.

Obie
06-12-2006, 07:36 PM
ive seen them play twice.. holy **** they put on such a good show. they are easily the best group of performers ive ever seen

die_kenny_die
06-13-2006, 01:59 AM
if someone feels like sending me some of their songs, my gmail is ms.1042@gmail.com

pInK_eLePhAnT
06-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Apparently theyre playing with Bedouin Soundclash in Leeds on Halloween this year... that's going to be AMAZING!

broccoli boy
07-07-2006, 06:25 PM
i went to see them last night in london. it was probably the best show i have ever been to.

willtheworld
07-26-2006, 02:30 AM
i love them!!!

mrpie
07-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Lahahahaalaaha!!!!not A Crime!!!

original=punk
08-20-2007, 01:43 AM
i revive you, gogol bordello thread, ARISE!

so i found out them thru some free mag i got a bit ago while banned.

they are actually really ****ing cool. im addicted.

start wearing purple.

StaggHound
08-20-2007, 05:27 AM
Has anyone got their copies of Super Taranta yet? I'm really digging "Wanderlust King" and "American Wedding"

SuperBlob
08-20-2007, 07:11 AM
DDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DADADADA! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! SUPER TARANTATA!

Yeah, American Wedding is awesome. As is Forces of Victory.

havanna
08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
I've heard a few of their songs and I like it so far, what albums would you guys recommend?

StaggHound
08-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, it's tough. Gypsy Punks had some classic songs, but I didn't really like the dub presence, whereas I'm not too sure of some of the guitar work on Super Taranta.

ss311
08-20-2007, 07:04 PM
I have 3 of their albums.

sargasm
08-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I've heard a few of their songs and I like it so far, what albums would you guys recommend?

Voi-La Intruder is my favorite.

ss311
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
I think I agree with Sargasm on that. The song writing is at its best on Voi-La Intruder, despite the fac that Gypsy Punks and Super Taranta have more sing along anthems on them that appeal to the mainstream.

Tom Martin
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
I love Gogol Bordello, and saw them live for the first time at Glastonbury this year. They were fantastic and definitely the highlight of the weekend for me, even though I didn't really know many of their songs at the time. I'm going to see them again in December in Brighton, should be good!

Alix_D
09-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Gypsy Part Of Town is awesome, can't remember how I ended up with a hip hop version mind,.

sargasm
09-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Did I mention that Gogol Bordello are sweeter than sweet?

BrianApocalypse
09-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Gorgol Bordellshit.

I HATE them.

and all gypsies in fact.

lolmnt
09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Did I mention that Gogol Bordello are sweeter than sweet?Yes but its true

Ska Wars
09-06-2007, 08:29 PM
i just got "super taranta" and i've been listening to it non-stop. i think gogol bordello is going to be the first band i really get into in a looong time.

hug a llama
09-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I got Gypsy Punks a few months ago and I'm in love with them.

but someone stole it from me like two days ago :(

BostonLacrosse
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
well i got this free sideone dummy sampler and it had Start Wearing Purple and i havent put those guys down since

original=punk
09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
when i get to the chorus in lets get radical, i just wanna start singing start wearing purple, those songs are very similar sounding

lolmnt
09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Start wearing purple, wearing purple

original=punk
09-07-2007, 07:13 AM
start wearing purple for me now-ha-how-ha-how

lolmnt
09-07-2007, 08:43 AM
I love that song

DanRev
09-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I should really get more into this band. I heard them ages back but never got an album.

Start with super taranta?

ss311
09-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Start with Voi-La Intruder.

original=punk
09-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I love that song

first one i ever heard, hooked right away.

Tom Martin
09-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Purple is a real crowd pleaser live, I remember being at Reading and hearing people singing it for the rest of the weekend. Awesome stuff.

LastCaress88
09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I hate this band. I think the music sucks, I dont like whole foreign gypsy/folk punk or whatever the **** its called thing they have going. Just my opinion though.

BostonLacrosse
09-07-2007, 11:34 PM
first one i ever heard, hooked right away.

but what is it really about?

original=punk
09-07-2007, 11:39 PM
but what is it really about?

*looks on teh internets*

"Itís a very deep, spiritual song. Itís actually the least serious song Iíve every written. Itís actually one of the very few songs that was written for a girl, which was my girlfriend at the time. When I first moved to New York in í98 I had this, kind of obsessive, crazy psychic gypsy lady who was living right next to us, in our building. And you know how it is some people have this fixation with a certain colour, and purple is one of those colours, and that is the whole archetype of these ladies, she was wearing everything: shoes, stockings, handkerchief, skirt, coat, everything, purple shades she was crazy. And one of my girlfriends, she was getting crazy, getting out of hand I was saying Ďyou might as well start wearing purple now, because thatís exactly whatís gonna happen to youí. One day I just sat down with a guitar and basically just set it down with just an A minor chord and a song rolled out of it. I love it when that happens. Some songs just roll out.." a quite from eugene i beleeve.

or peopel in concentration camps that opposed the nazi's had to wear purple, and maybe they say it as a rejection of us all becoming facist and making just us to be the ones?

i have no idea :(

BostonLacrosse
09-07-2007, 11:46 PM
*looks on teh internets*

"Itís a very deep, spiritual song. Itís actually the least serious song Iíve every written. Itís actually one of the very few songs that was written for a girl, which was my girlfriend at the time. When I first moved to New York in í98 I had this, kind of obsessive, crazy psychic gypsy lady who was living right next to us, in our building. And you know how it is some people have this fixation with a certain colour, and purple is one of those colours, and that is the whole archetype of these ladies, she was wearing everything: shoes, stockings, handkerchief, skirt, coat, everything, purple shades she was crazy. And one of my girlfriends, she was getting crazy, getting out of hand I was saying Ďyou might as well start wearing purple now, because thatís exactly whatís gonna happen to youí. One day I just sat down with a guitar and basically just set it down with just an A minor chord and a song rolled out of it. I love it when that happens. Some songs just roll out.." a quite from eugene i beleeve.

or peopel in concentration camps that opposed the nazi's had to wear purple, and maybe they say it as a rejection of us all becoming facist and making just us to be the ones?

i have no idea :(

well the first explanation made possible sense

i thought it might have something to do with middle eastern culture and purple being a color of the rich so this old dude who wanted to marry this young chick just told her to wear purple to show that he was rich

crazy idea but who knows

original=punk
09-07-2007, 11:51 PM
oh yeah i heard that too. i really odnt care, lol, its a great song.

BostonLacrosse
09-07-2007, 11:54 PM
amen to that

original=punk
09-08-2007, 12:06 AM
peace be with you brotha

filthandfury
09-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I really love GB, I have Gypsy Punks, Super Taranta, and Voi-la Intruder. I also have the mp3 and video of them live at Glasto 07

Greenfinger182
09-11-2007, 09:57 PM
i just got "super taranta" and i've been listening to it non-stop. i think gogol bordello is going to be the first band i really get into in a looong time.
Gypsy Punks is still my favorite album. I was over in Europe when Super Taranta came out and I bought it the day I got back. It's been spinning non-stop ("first time that I read the bible..."...it's starting to get annoying when it sticks in my head) in my stereo, and it's a great CD, but I just didn't get as addicted as I did with Gypsy Punks. Their opening song on this album, Ultimate, is a great song, but it doesn't beat "Sally."

Not to say an opening song decides the entire album. Super Taranta is definitely still a great record. Even so, for first time listeners I would recommend Gypsy Punks.

Did anyone get to see the movie "Everything is Illuminated"? Eugene Hurtz (lead singer of Gogol Bordello) stars in it, along with Elijah Wood. It was a great movie, and at this one part they get off a train and see a polka band. The band is Gogol Bordello, although their name is never directly said.

Shameless plug, Mr. Hurtz. Shameless.

JesusOfSbrbia
09-12-2007, 12:47 AM
I saw them a while ago on the Henry Rollins Show. I guess they're cool.

hug a llama
09-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Gypsy Punks is still my favorite album. I was over in Europe when Super Taranta came out and I bought it the day I got back. It's been spinning non-stop ("first time that I read the bible..."...it's starting to get annoying when it sticks in my head) in my stereo, and it's a great CD, but I just didn't get as addicted as I did with Gypsy Punks. Their opening song on this album, Ultimate, is a great song, but it doesn't beat "Sally."

Not to say an opening song decides the entire album. Super Taranta is definitely still a great record. Even so, for first time listeners I would recommend Gypsy Punks.

Did anyone get to see the movie "Everything is Illuminated"? Eugene Hurtz (lead singer of Gogol Bordello) stars in it, along with Elijah Wood. It was a great movie, and at this one part they get off a train and see a polka band. The band is Gogol Bordello, although their name is never directly said.

Shameless plug, Mr. Hurtz. Shameless.

OH!

I saw the movie, but Eugene shaved his mustache

that's like the whole reason I watch their videos :(

sargasm
09-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I saw Everything is Illuminated before I ever listened to Gogol Bordello.

It wasn't nearly as good as the book.

RockThe40oz
09-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Gogol Bordello is playing in Blacksburg in October. I'm so pumped. It's at a local indie theater, and it's going to be awesome to the max.

sargasm
09-13-2007, 07:01 PM
I need to see Gogol Bordello at lest 54 more times!!!!

DanRev
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Decembers beginning to look like a good month for gigs. Gogol on the 8th at the hammersmith apollo, Subhumans on some date I forget, aswell as UK subs.

I'll be going to Gogol Bordello, though it'll probably be on my own :p:

RockThe40oz
09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I need to see Gogol Bordello at lest 54 more times!!!!

I need to see them at least once more than zero

DigUpHerBones
09-16-2007, 06:22 AM
They're getting a load more airplay and winning live awards now.

Still, need to get tickets to their Manchester show soon.

BrianApocalypse
09-16-2007, 10:23 AM
aswell as UK subs.
:p:

I wouldn't count on it bruv, the subs suck live.

Skiracer110
09-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Just wondering if anyone else listens to them. I started listening to them a few days ago, and they make very good, unique, and interesting music.

They're very obscure, don't listen to them if you don't have a very open musical mind. It's basically.. gypsy punk. They're from a southeastern European country, Romania or Ukraine I think.

Anyway, everyone on this site sould listen to Immigrant Punk, Start Wearing Purple, and Sex Spider. 3 of the best songs ever.

You created your account with the band name as your username in 2006, but you just started listening to them a few days ago? :confused:

RockThe40oz
09-16-2007, 02:06 PM
You created your account with the band name as your username in 2006, but you just started listening to them a few days ago? :confused:

The original post was made March, 2006

Bloodycrass
10-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Ive seen them live yesterday it was one of the best show i've ever seen. Go to see them live if you can it is where they really shine. Way better in shows than cds and everyone know the songs and sing along =P

recklessnick
10-13-2007, 12:50 AM
gypsies suck

mr freezy
10-14-2007, 10:01 AM
What does "gogol bordello" translate as and what langauge is it? I think "Bordello" means brothel but I'm just guessing.

StaggHound
10-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Gogol refers to Nikolai Gogol, the Russian writer.

RizzoWashburn
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok, so I just saw the video for Start Wearing Purple. This was my first exposure to the band and damn, that was both the most amazing and ****ed up things I've seen in a long long time. I am going to buy all of their CD's as soon as possible.

badgerific
01-22-2008, 12:17 PM
i bought gypsy punks last weekend after hearing good things about them on here its my new favourite album i havent been able to stop listning to it.

ive gotta buy the rest of they're albums when im next out and im going to go see them on the 1st of april in bristol i can't wait.

they are a nice change to most of the music today :)

DigUpHerBones
01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
^ Which album?

They're playing here again in March and I think I'm finally going to get tickets before they sell out :). Getting together a load of people to go, so if anyone's in Manchester!

RockThe40oz
01-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Has anybody seen the movie "Wristcutters?"

It's apparently a really bad indie movie, but one of the main characters is based off of Eugene Hutz (his name is even Eugene), and he kills himself on stage of a Gogol Bordello show by pouring beer on his electric guitar :p:

I might seek it out just for that

Iluvpowerchords
01-28-2008, 11:42 PM
When I lived on campus there was a Tatar girl from Russia on my floor.

I introduced her to Gogol Bordello.

She liked.

I now have Eastern European street cred.

crustyreed
01-28-2008, 11:43 PM
wow i listened to start wearing purple, all i could think of was borat.

seannufan
01-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Seeing them March 2nd! Can't wait.

CoBasCis
02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Just got a few of their songs, amazing stuff.

BostonLacrosse
02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
they are starting to make their music video for american wedding and are having casting calls

its goin to take place in new york near the queens area...i wish i had a car to get down there and see if i could be in it, cause that would be so punk rock

SuperBlob
02-14-2008, 09:00 AM
they are starting to make their music video for american wedding and are having casting calls

its goin to take place in new york near the queens area...i wish i had a car to get down there and see if i could be in it, cause that would be so punk rock
American Wedding is fantastic song

mr freezy
02-15-2008, 10:22 AM
wow i listened to start wearing purple, all i could think of was borat.
Congrats on ruining that song for me forever. :mad:

RockThe40oz
02-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Congrats on ruining that song for me forever. :mad:
Start wearing purple wearing purple
Start wearing purple very niiiice

sargasm
02-15-2008, 02:47 PM
American Wedding really speaks to me, because nobody knows how to party!

PCbassist
02-15-2008, 03:46 PM
they're amazing! I might go see them in March in Royal Oak, Mi

BostonLacrosse
02-16-2008, 07:15 PM
American Wedding really speaks to me, because nobody knows how to party!

amen to that, if/when i ever get married i want to have the biggest bash imaginable

skeptopotamus
03-06-2008, 02:57 AM
I just saw them in Philly last saturday... one of the best shows I've ever seen. The crowd was fuckin nuts for the whole 2 hours. A 45 minute encore, sorry, that's a second set. BITCHIN!

chopps00
03-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Hell yeah...Gogol is one of my favorite bands...don't judge them on songs you download, this is a band you have to see live...I've seen SOAD, Tool, RATM, RHCP, Mars Volta, Hed P.E., Buckcherry, Korn, and a slew of other shows but nothing like this. Amazing live act. Its a slew of gypsy punk pirates!

dannay
03-06-2008, 01:19 PM
i have both of their albums, its the best stuff ever.
"i would never wanna be young again" is the best song.

Iluvpowerchords
03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I just saw them in Philly last saturday... one of the best shows I've ever seen. The crowd was fuckin nuts for the whole 2 hours. A 45 minute encore, sorry, that's a second set. BITCHIN!

They are unstoppable live.

RockThe40oz
03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Seriously... they could have played for 4 hours and I would have still been jumping around and diving off of ****

seannufan
03-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Saw them on the second. They were amazing! Seriously, if you haven't seen them you're missing out on something big.

newyorkdolls138
03-07-2008, 01:12 AM
My friend saw them play with Valient Thorr.

GOD DAMN

Love_Buzz
03-07-2008, 02:09 AM
*Introduces himself to band by listening to "Start Wearing Purple"*
Wow that's...different. :p:

sargasm
03-07-2008, 02:55 AM
*Introduces himself to band by listening to "Start Wearing Purple"*
Wow that's...different. :p:

The thing about GB is you have to get passed the whole idea of them just being "different" and explore their music, contextualize it and really get a feel for who they are.

Love_Buzz
03-07-2008, 03:01 AM
The thing about GB is you have to get passed the whole idea of them just being "different" and explore their music, contextualize it and really get a feel for who they are.
Well they actually seem good. I just meant that's not what I expected.

Obie
05-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Gorgol Bordellshit.

I HATE them.

and all gypsies in fact.

well all gypsies, including the rest of the world, hate you too.

lavazza
05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
well all gypsies, including the rest of the world, hate you too.

You dig out old threads and donīt understand Brianīs obligatory racism

AestheticGuitar
05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
seeing them next month. hoorah!

faultyy
05-13-2008, 03:58 PM
They were easily the best band that played Glastonbury last year, never seen a glasto crowd (about 80% people just trying to look cool) move so much for so long. Can't believe they havn't booked them again this year

SomeGuyInJersey
05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
60 revolutions is one of their best

sargasm
05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
They were easily the best band that played Glastonbury last year, never seen a glasto crowd (about 80% people just trying to look cool) move so much for so long. Can't believe they havn't booked them again this year

They're easily the best band that plays anywhere ever.

devourthekitten
05-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I made a Gogol Bordello shirt last night!

sargasm
05-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Check the DIY thread for my awesome Gogol Bordello backpatch!

treefiddey
05-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I love everything they've ever done.
I want to see them at acl but it's way too expensive...

CowsWithGuns
05-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I have the opportunity to see them play but it's 35 bucks+ train fare+ subway fare. :(

lavazza
05-17-2008, 07:45 AM
I have the opportunity to see them play but it's 35 bucks+ train fare+ subway fare. :(

I just pay that much for a two day festival

mbbmalcolm
05-17-2008, 01:05 PM
i might be seeing them at the virgin mobile festival this summer, but its expensive as hell.

sargasm
05-17-2008, 02:10 PM

I'd say its worth it.

I can't remember how much I played when I saw them at some shitty blues festival, but it was worth it. Plus they played a really long set.

smb
10-09-2008, 08:44 AM
So...anyone going to see them on their current tour? I'm probably going to see them in Southampton.

DigUpHerBones
10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm going up to Glasgow in December for em :)

mbbmalcolm
10-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Going to see them in January.

sargasm
10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Seeing them again in less than a week!

Okeefe Is Legit
10-14-2008, 03:21 AM
They played in my town like a week ago.

I was too poor to go though :(

I saw them at bonnaroo last year and the year before though, so I wasn't completely bummed.

sargasm
10-14-2008, 04:17 AM
Seeing them tonight! Yeahhhhh boiiiii!

BostonLacrosse
10-18-2008, 02:33 PM
so their song "wonderlust king" is on a commercial for some kind of video game. I was watching tv and was like hey this song sounds familiar...holy shit its gogol bordello!

im kinda bummed that they went corporate though

RockThe40oz
10-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I've definitely gotten confirmation from somebody that used to work at the same record store as Eugene that he definitely plays up his Ukrainian accent on stage... He's definitely Ukrainian, but makes a caricature out of it on stage.

Not surprising, though.

skeptopotamus
10-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I've definitely gotten confirmation from somebody that used to work at the same record store as Eugene that he definitely plays up his Ukrainian accent on stage... He's definitely Ukrainian, but makes a caricature out of it on stage.

Not surprising, though.
It gets people dancing, no?

lolmnt
10-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Not surprising, though.Yeah, I always suspected that he did.

RockThe40oz
10-18-2008, 04:15 PM
It gets people dancing, no?

I mean.. the music alone would get me dancing... I don't need him to act extra ukranian in between songs.

It is more fun that way, I guess

Beakwithteeth
10-19-2008, 10:27 PM
I love this band. I need to get some of their music.

HC-MAX
10-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Damn one of the funniest bands i ever see
like them so much!

daytripper75
10-21-2008, 12:35 AM
i downloaded some of their stuff like a year ago, but i never really gave it much of a listen until about a month ago. ive found that i really like them.

ss311
10-25-2008, 06:37 AM
I can confirm that 'Bordello' means brothel.

sargasm
10-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Gogol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gogol
Bordello: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordello

Not much mystery to the name. Although what the two things have in common is beyond me.

lolmnt
10-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I can confirm that 'Bordello' means brothel.That sounds like a story you should share.

and the Bordello is the reason why my dad wouldn't let my younger brother stencil a Gogol Bordello shirt.

ss311
10-25-2008, 05:53 PM
In the army, when something is dirty or not being done properly, 'we' say it is a bordello, or 'of the prostitute'.

Damien_Torrence
10-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Super Taranta is the third best album of 2007!

If you're wondering

1. New Wave-Against Me
2. In Rainbows- Radiohead
3. Super Taranta- Gogol Bordello
4. Feast or Famine- Chuck Ragan
5. New Maps of Hell- Bad Religion

mbbmalcolm
10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Super Taranta is the third best album of 2008!

If you're wondering

1. New Wave-Against Me

Is that according to you, or some other source?

Either way, Super Taranta rapes all the others on that list.

StreetLight3989
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM

If you're wondering

1. New Wave-Against Me
'59 Sound deserves a spot on this list. So does Get Better by Lemuria, Civil War by D4, and probably more that I can't think of at the moment.

mbbmalcolm
10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
'59 Sound deserves a spot on this list. So does Get Better by Lemuria, Civil War by D4, and probably more that I can't think of at the moment.

indeed

sargasm
10-28-2008, 10:32 PM

If you're wondering

1. New Wave-Against Me

And if those are in order, Super Taranta should definitely be at the top.

lolmnt
10-28-2008, 10:37 PM

If you're wondering

1. New Wave-Against Me
5. New Maps of Hell- Bad ReligionThose are all 07 albums.......

DigUpHerBones
12-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Anyone know if they've announced support for the Glasgow gig?

sargasm
12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
They had a local band playing at the show here and I didn't find out who it was until I got there.

I was really happy to find out that it was a band I really like, and hadn't seen in a long time. It was a pleasant surprise.

smb
12-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I saw them last week. A good time was had by all.

DigUpHerBones
12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
:) Fairy nuft. Just cause I saw them with Skindred last time and, well... Skindred!

smb
12-02-2008, 03:06 PM
We avoided the support band - checked their myspace beforehand and they sounded terrible, so stayed in the bar instead. Can't remember their name.

DigUpHerBones
12-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I need to know who they are before I know if I'm avoiding them, though :p:
I'll probably have to miss them anyway since I've got to drive up from Manchester. Ah wells.

Cory Smash
12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm really digging the pants he's wearing in the video for American Wedding.

kayaress one
12-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Gogol Bordello is awesome, I saw them last august and I have both the albums. One of the funnest live shows I've been to. Eugene downed a bottle of wine during the set.

smb
12-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Gogol Bordello is awesome, I saw them last august and I have both the albums. One of the funnest live shows I've been to. Eugene downed a bottle of wine during the set.Both? You're missing some ;)

sargasm
12-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Gogol Bordello is awesome, I saw them last august and I have both the albums. One of the funnest live shows I've been to. Eugene downed a bottle of wine during the set.

He did that last time I saw them too. Dude must go through a lot of wine.

I want to party with him but he's famous now so I'll probably never get the chance.

kayaress one
12-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Both? You're missing some ;)
Yeah I realised how dumb that was as I clicked "submit reply." I meant I have both of the NEWER albums.

Hutz is totally insane though. I love the part of the act where he fills a bucket full of wine and slams his microphone around in it to lay down a beat.

BostonLacrosse
12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
such an amazing show, nothing beats high energy shows with big member bands

DigUpHerBones
12-21-2008, 10:22 AM
beautiful gig :D

vintage x metal
01-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Seeing them tonight at the 9:30 Club in DC. Excited as sheeeeyit =D

werty22
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't like Gogol Bordello.

smb
01-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Have fun vintage...they were great both times I saw them

Their new material is good too.

vintage x metal
01-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks! They were incredible haha; I'm so beat up now though, the crowd was pretty rough. There was so much energy, and I was surprised with the age level of most of the people.

BigFatSandwich
01-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Seeing them tonight at the 9:30 Club in DC. Excited as sheeeeyit =D
HEY I WAS THERE! WOO! haha. I really hope you weren't that drunk girl slamming her way into my friends and me. But yeah, awesome show. The sound was a little bad, though, but it was still a damn good time.

EDIT:
:eek: And is that third eye blind in your sig? Congratulations, you are my new favorite UGer.

mbbmalcolm
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I saw them last night, they were amazing. I keep forgetting how great they are.

vintage x metal
01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
HEY I WAS THERE! WOO! haha. I really hope you weren't that drunk girl slamming her way into my friends and me. But yeah, awesome show. The sound was a little bad, though, but it was still a damn good time.

EDIT:
:eek: And is that third eye blind in your sig? Congratulations, you are my new favorite UGer.
You shouldve told me before hand, man! We could've said hey. Anyway, yeah, the sound wasn't the best up front, but I was only up there for a bit. I wasn't drunk so that probably wasnt me :p: Where in the venue were you?

And haha thanks ;)

BigFatSandwich
01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
You shouldve told me before hand, man! We could've said hey. Anyway, yeah, the sound wasn't the best up front, but I was only up there for a bit. I wasn't drunk so that probably wasnt me :p: Where in the venue were you?

And haha thanks ;)
I would've, but I didn't think to check UG to see if anyone else would be going. Dang. I'll have to do that next time. For most of the show, I was up at the front, to the right of the stage. My friend was short and it was the only place she could stand and be able to actually see anything. Here's a picture I took with my phone:

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/32/l_e123384a7a924a4fb71eff900515110e.jpg

I got a pretty good view of the good looking girl banging the giant drum, though! Haha I even shook her gross, sweaty hand afterwards. Go me!

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/17/l_a22b5571337044e1b06eaf4c703a3ecd.jpg

RockThe40oz
01-04-2009, 03:56 PM
I want to bang Frodo's girlfriend.

skeptopotamus
01-05-2009, 02:39 PM
^I think Elizabeth Sun is hotter.

You should also get Voi-La Intruder and the East Infection EP.

I saw them on saturday in DC. I drove 4 hours to go to that show and it was SO totally fucking worth it.

Funny story, the shortest travel distance I've gone to go to a Gogol show is 4 hours and I've seen them several times.

RockThe40oz
01-05-2009, 04:34 PM
^I think Elizabeth Sun is hotter.

It's more the principle of the matter.

skeptopotamus
01-06-2009, 10:04 PM
It's more the principle of the matter.
Troof.

Marskell
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
http://gogolbordello.com/tour/future/
Gogol Bordello Aussie Tour Announced
KEEN AS FUCK

daytripper75
01-22-2010, 03:37 AM
I realized today that I hadn't listened to them in a while. So I did. Good stuff.

anarkee
01-22-2010, 11:37 AM
I went to see an act last night and ended up talking about Gogol Bordello with one of the road crew, when we were discussing fun live acts. Came home and dragged out "Under world Strike" last night and listened to it again. Great stuff.

Greenfinger182
01-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I haven't listened to these guys for a while. When Underdog World Strike came out I must have listened to it for 3 months straight. Unfortunately, Super Tarantana didn't tickle me quite the same way...I really didn't enjoy it, so I haven't listened to them since then.

johnny_tapia
01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I love Gogol Bordello.

TheReverend724
05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Trans-Continental Hustle is the fucking bees knees. Can't stop listening to it :dance:

axeslash
05-07-2010, 01:48 AM
I was really really really drunk when I listened to it the first time...

...and every subsequent time...

...and I'm really drunk right now...

But that album is damn good.

Greenfinger182
05-07-2010, 09:52 AM
You're a better typer than I whilst drunk.

DigUpHerBones
05-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Transcontiental Hustle is great. And I'm seeing them tomorrow! Third time, this is going to be immense :D

iwannabesedated
05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
They're apparently playing a tour with Primus. I might see them when they come to Columbus.

TheReverend724
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
They're apparently playing a tour with Primus.
*jaw drops*

Magero
05-07-2010, 10:23 PM
That's pretty intense news.

Saw these guys a few months back. Most fun live show I've been to, ever. :haha

DigUpHerBones
05-08-2010, 07:18 PM
They are yeah, you lucky, lucky Americans.

Just saw them tonight. Amazing gig!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately partially ruined by my being immensely tired and it seems having food poisoning. Sat at the side for a lot of it :( :( :(

Lots O' FX
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I want to bang Frodo's girlfriend.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Sean_Astin_as_Samwise_Gamgee.png

Whatever gets you off man...

anarkee
05-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I am praying that they play NYE with Primus at the Filmore. I would seriously be the happiest woman on the planet.

tapefoot
05-25-2010, 04:54 AM
They are touring with Primus in the fall so if their good enough for les their definately good enough for me!

RockThe40oz
05-25-2010, 07:32 AM
The new CD is alright... It's consistent and decent, but doesn't have any really exciting songs.

the glue man
05-26-2010, 12:02 AM
I had a bunch of acid a few months ago and I was gonna take a bunch and drive down to Eugene, Oregon to see them, but I had an anthropology exam the next day and decided that the exam was more important than seeing Gogol whilst tripping balls. What was I thinking?! :(

axeslash
05-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Aw man.

If you're ever going to go to Eugene you need to call me so we can go on ADVENTURES.

the glue man
05-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Are they.... LSD and Gogol Bordello related adventures? If yes then I'm definitely down. I enjoy my LSD and Gogol Bordello.

DigUpHerBones
05-29-2010, 05:48 PM
The new CD is alright... It's consistent and decent, but doesn't have any really exciting songs.

There are some amazing moments in it live though.