What do you do? (Band Practice)

PDA

View Full Version : What do you do? (Band Practice)

Sweetbabyjezuz
03-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Okay, i'm just wondering, i've never done this before.

If you're meeting up with a drummer/rhythem player for the first time....what do you do?

Does everybody just start playing **** and you come in? lol
Do you just cover a song?
Or do you try and work together for your own song?

Is there some sort of natural progression we should go through

Murph_DeVane
03-18-2006, 04:17 PM
it depends on what you want to get accomplished.
if youre there to write material, start by brainstorming. if youre just having fun, then just come out and start playing

SickMetal
03-18-2006, 04:18 PM
What I did was when we all come together for the first time, if you have similar musical tastes (hopefully you do if you're in the same band), see if you know some of the same songs and play 'em. If not, maybe before you meet up, pick a song that you can agree on and play it together. Playing a cover or two is a good way to start out and learn how to play together. After than you can make up some of your own ****.

That's just what I'd do, there's no rules.

Beat-Monkey
03-18-2006, 04:18 PM
our band had the same problem, we decided to each take it in turns to cover a song, to get used to playing together.

Smokey Amp
03-18-2006, 04:19 PM
You have to let them know that guitar is the most important instrument in the band, so, turn it up to 10 and force them to follow your lead. :)

If they do disagree, just ask the drummer to play an instrumental on drums, he'll soon shut up.

ilovethinlizzy
03-18-2006, 04:24 PM
You have to let them know that guitar is the most important instrument in the band, so, turn it up to 10 and force them to follow your lead. :)

If they do disagree, just ask the drummer to play an instrumental on drums, he'll soon shut up.

HAhahahahahahahaha.............................nice, a little arrogant but nice

stringmagician
03-18-2006, 04:28 PM

do not listen to this man, just ceom together and chill with the other two guys and see if you know any songs in common, otherwise pic an easy song you or the bass player knows and learn it, the drummer can always make a generic beat

jesuschristpose
03-18-2006, 04:29 PM
I always start with 12 bar blues, just to warm everyone up. And then either start working on your covers, or introduce the changes for whatever song you wanna start writing, and jam off it.

Murph_DeVane
03-18-2006, 04:37 PM
**** turning the volume up to ten, i turn it to 11

leaping badger
03-18-2006, 05:38 PM
i recommend covers, agree on some songs to learn, always a good start, but mostly listen to what everyone has to say. Just play what you want and hopefully everyone else will get along and play along. It's great fun once you get started. Depending on how old you are beer can do wonders to settle everyone down (not too much mind you)

CheckOutSerafin
03-19-2006, 12:02 PM
our band had the same problem, we decided to each take it in turns to cover a song, to get used to playing together.
Yeah, we did that.
I wouldnt wanna go strait into writing songs if you're just starting.

r a c e t h e
03-19-2006, 08:45 PM
sit down with your band and CLEARLY go over what you want to do as a band. what you want to play, how far you want to take it etc etc

eckmann88
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
we just jam