3 Guitars + Metal Band

PDA

View Full Version : 3 Guitars + Metal Band

Trivium
03-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Well we're making a metal band.. not straight up metal, but hardcore, metalcore type stuff (trivium, a7x, shadows fall, killswitch ect..) all bands with two guitarists. We, on the other hand have three.. and I'm wondering how to make it fit w/o it sounding too muddy, or just.. like crap. So here's the deal.. we have me on vocals and lead guitar, another guy on lead guitar, and a guy playing rhythm. I'm thinking that if we work out alot of harmonies, and then have the rhythm playing.. rhythm.. that would work out. And I could sit out of verses since I'll be singing, and just add more onto the chorus, and a few solo's here and there. I think we can make it work, but any advice would be nice, as to what else we could do. So if you got any ideas let me know.

Trivium
03-22-2006, 12:50 AM
We've got practice in 2 days.. any ideas before then would help alot.

stringmagician
03-22-2006, 12:57 AM
of course hawthorn heights isn't quite in this genre, but there mixes are pretty good and they have pretty much the exact same guitar set up as you

Dead God In Me
03-22-2006, 08:04 PM
I used to know a band here called Fallen Savior. Thye were a local band. Simply amazing...they had 3 guitarists aswell they did a butt load of harmonies it just sounded amaizng. It should work out if you guys play the same stuff at different octives or keys

mangablade
03-22-2006, 09:16 PM
well for one: i find the best thing to do is, grab your bassist and your guitarists, and make sure they have all their equip.

then make em all play like a simple riff (repeat A5, C5, D5, C5 4 times each or something), with bass playing root notes (just cuz its simple and ur not writing music).

now mess with the eq until you find a good, non muddy tone. from there, you can work on what each guitar plays.

what i like is when you look at iron maiden, a lot of their songs has tradeoff solo's, like 1 guitar does a solo first, then the other guitar solos, and then thats the bridge, so 2 shorter solos instead of 1 long one. It keeps both guitarists happy, the crowd entertained, and hopefully youre solo's will be shorter, thus not making anyone lose interest or think you solo too much.

also as you said, harmonize. but one thing i dont like is when, for instance, lets say theres 3 guitarists, and ones playing this on the A string:
-0-0-5-3-0-0-5-7~ just for example.
then the 2nd guitarist does the same thing, D string, and the 3rd guitar just pumps out straight eigth note A5 chords or something like that.

that i find gets boring quick and isnt interessting. rather than doing that: have them playing completely different riffs sometimes. not so that its a mess, but so that they go together.

look at "Californication" the verse: the guitar and bass are playing 2 different riffs but they blend SO well. and you might want to keep it simple at first like that, because if youre both playing different 16th note riffs, it could sound too jammed in/muddy etc.

-my 2 cents

maXterbat0r
03-22-2006, 09:33 PM
well, if you're gonna do your own stuff, then yeah you could play tradeoff solos at parts and also have something like playing almost but not quite the same stuff at other parts.

but it's your band, not mine

psychodelia
03-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Make sure the guitars are out of one another's range. Have the bass play in one range, then the two other guitars maybe harmonize, then depending on where they play you either play an octave above or down, perhaps.

You should follow mangablade's advice too, so if you do play in the same range it won't sound bad. I don't have to deal with balancing three guitars, but I imagine you want to balance your sounds with more mids and highs than bass. I know a lot of metal players want the scooped sound, but when the whole band plays if there's too much low end the guitars will probably sound muddy (that's my prediction). And maybe experiment with backing off the distortion a little.