Frank Zappa

PDA

View Full Version : Frank Zappa

hippy12
03-20-2006, 05:54 PM
i listened to his stuff a while ago but now i just started really getting into it. does anyone else like him? what are your favourite songs? and general discussion.

my favourite song is definatly willie the pimp or trouble everyday.

DeathRattle
03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
he was very good. listen to 'jazz from hell'.

spankbass
03-20-2006, 06:02 PM
why does it hurt when I pee

DireStraits
03-20-2006, 06:04 PM
I'd have to go with the whole Joe's Garage album, simply because it's blasphemy to seperate it into different songs... but then again...

"Catholic Girls" guys, "Catholic Girls."

cefasnacht
03-20-2006, 06:11 PM
joe's garage
freak out
hot rats
weasels ripped my flesh

can't pick zappa songs, gotta go with his entire albums

megaganj
03-20-2006, 06:14 PM
its all so good! joes garage, catholic girls, stick it out. classic, classic stuff

Don't get no jizz up on that sofa, sofa

ufossuck
03-20-2006, 06:15 PM
My favourites are "Bobby Brown," "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow," "Willie the Pimp," "Titties and Beer" and "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama."

Punk Poser
03-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Hot Rats and Zoot Allures are my favorite Zappa albums. He's a great musician and composer.

frippogenics
03-20-2006, 07:15 PM
We're Only In It For The Money is one of my favorite albums of all time. I like his experimental stuff with the Mothers Of Invention a lot. I also like his Jazz stuff too, like on Hot Rats. The Arena Rock w/ Potty Humor stage is entertaining, but far surpassed by his earlier stuff.

psychodelia
03-20-2006, 07:29 PM
I want to pick up his stuff with the London Symphony Orchestra, but I didn't have the money last time I went to the cd store.

I like Apostrophe, I think Jack Bruce does the bass solo on it. I always play that one.

Also Inca Roads, Little Umbrellas, Watermelon in Easter Hay, Zoot Allures... I know those are some of the more popular ones, but they're good.

Peaches en Regalia.

Some of his humorous stuff.... blahh there's too much lol.

Gabuydachk
03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
favorite "rock" songs by him:
Black Napkins
Willie The Pimp

I think he was a genius. He was a great musician, a great composer, and a great improvisor. Pure genius.

streetcarp19
03-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, willie the pimp is the sh.it. I will probably be getting all of Hot Rats soon. I really dig the jazz sound he was getting into then.

Rhinosaur Bones
03-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Just Another Band From L.A. and Freak Out are excellent, as is Apostrophe. Billy the Mountain!

jayr123guitar
03-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Heres some good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuFVNmZJCrQ&search=frank%20zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10mKNmfmxeE&search=frank%20zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3gqee7dhcU&search=frank%20zappa

Lacquer_Head
03-23-2006, 11:11 AM
willie the pimp and the live disco boy version pwn!

deadhead313313
04-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Awesome. Probably my favourite artist ever (apart from The Dead).

Anyone going on the Zappa Plays Zappa tour? Its coming to Toronto, and my guitarist got tickets, and I can't go, and hes bragging now. What a bastard

SuburbanCowboy
04-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Try to get your hands on The Lost Episodes. It has a bunch of never-released Zappa songs. Theres even a 12-bar blues song on there. Weird, huh?

Tinsel Town Rebbellion is also an excellent live album.

Dancin' Fool
04-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Awesome. Probably my favourite artist ever (apart from The Dead).

Anyone going on the Zappa Plays Zappa tour? Its coming to Toronto, and my guitarist got tickets, and I can't go, and hes bragging now. What a bastard

Nu uh!
You gotta get 'em. I find the ride. Jeeze, get the tickets.. I think I got a ride. :D :kiss: Oh Zappa. So kind to my ears.

seljer
04-14-2006, 04:58 PM
I added Sheik Yerbouti to my collection of his stuff yesterday. Got to love all that satire :D

BrainDamage
04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
My dad is a huge fan, so I've got plenty of his albums and stuff. I like his music a lot, a lot of his lyrics are hilarious. Not to mention, Frank is a pretty freaking good guitarist.

slinks
04-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I finally added some of his stuff to my collection recently when I got Freak Out! and Hot Rats. It was long overdo, I had enjoyed his music for a while. He was truly a genius composer and has to be considered one of the best guitarists ever. Not to mention he's funny as hell.

FadingRoots
04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
My dad is a huge fan, so I've got plenty of his albums and stuff. I like his music a lot, a lot of his lyrics are hilarious. Not to mention, Frank is a pretty freaking good guitarist.

"pretty freaking good"? the man is a guitar god, on par with any of the best. He may not be as fast as vai, or creative as hendrix, but he could solo for HOURS without break. He's an endurance guitarist. Listen to Willie the Pimp, for crying out loud.

Personally my favorite Zappa material is his live stuff, I love the way he interacts with the other bandmembers and with the audience. Titties and Beer is hilarious live... "LET GO OF YOUR PICKLE!" I'm pretty sure that's off of one of the "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore"s. I also like his psychadelic jazz stuff, and the Freak Out and Hot Rats albums. And "Bobby Brown Goes Down" is one of my favorite songs, like, ever.

Slayer=GOD
04-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Shut up and play yer guitar 3 albums that showed the true greatness of the man