Convincing them that bass is important

PDA

View Full Version : Convincing them that bass is important

Punk Rocker
03-20-2006, 11:15 PM
My bandmates dont think we need a bass player and I strongly disagree. We have a rhytm guitarist(me), a lead, and drummer and they say thats enuf. How can I convince them?
EDIT: Sorry if this should be in bandleading

Cynoxx
03-20-2006, 11:18 PM
That you add support to the whole band, and without support, the sound is weak and it has no feel to it, IMO.

DaddyTwoFoot
03-20-2006, 11:27 PM
By recording yourselves and showing them how damn empty it sounds.

Kartman
03-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Man, no bass? I personally think bass is essential in any band, no matter what genre. Yeah, I agree with you. You need a bassist.

T.J.
03-20-2006, 11:41 PM
show them a recording of something with bass included, then take out the bass of that recording and show that to them after, any moron will notice a difference

JimiSlashPage
03-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Show them songs with strong bass presence.

Junkstuff1
03-21-2006, 01:59 AM
I agree with DaddyTwoFoot and T.J., but I think you should mix the ideas together.

Make a recording (or take one you already have) of one of your songs, then record a bassline with it - make sure it's a good one. Show them both versions.

SilentDeftone
03-21-2006, 03:28 AM
*moved*

-SD :dance:

That_Pink_Queen
03-21-2006, 04:00 AM
Even a bass playing root notes sounds better than no bass at all. Just play a few songs to them, but use the EQ to take out ALL the bass. It will sound like crap :)

maXterbat0r
03-21-2006, 05:30 PM
truly, bass is essential in music, which is why i get irritated when my brother plays guitar, it's whiny and bad-sounding, a pretty good example, but whatever.

also it kicks ass!

psychodelia
03-21-2006, 06:19 PM
It's not a requirement, but it helps a lot with keeping rhythm, as well as helping provide part of the range of sound associated with band. Most musical groups (I am not including soloists or duets or whatever) have high and low sounds to balance.

The White Stripes are a group without bass, but notice that Jack White will sometimes use an octave pedal to get a bass sound out of his guitar, or will play piano, which has more low range. Plus I heard some of their live stuff and it doesn't impress me, as they can't disguise the lack of bass like they do in studio.

rathmusbass
03-23-2006, 04:11 AM
shove a bass down each of their throats and ask them if it is more or less painful then having a bassist, if they say less then send them off to a mental institution because they are insane.

Baba O'Riley
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I agree with DaddyTwoFoot and T.J.

Me too. :cheers:

Try this idea as well. Who are their favourite bands? Their favourite bands probably all (or almost all) have bass players. So you can use that as an argument against them by saying that those bands all have bass players so you guys should too. Also start listing very successful bands that have bass players.

johnny88
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Unless youre the white stripes not having any bass in unexcusable. Listen to the best of Prince and you'll find that half of it is great because it has bass and the other half is unlistenable because its just him singing with a drum machine.

mangablade
03-23-2006, 07:22 PM
and even the white stripes, with no bassist, use an octave pedal ( i think), because they want low end, which is usually much better achieved with a bassist.

cokesodanotdrug
03-23-2006, 08:14 PM
My bandmates dont think we need a bass player and I strongly disagree. We have a rhytm guitarist(me), a lead, and drummer and they say thats enuf. How can I convince them?
EDIT: Sorry if this should be in bandleading
well I think the answer is clear.

you have two options.

A) get a bassist
B) get an octive pedal! :)

Dan Steinman
03-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Stuff really does sound empty without bass--the rhythm sounds empty and sparse, and the harmonies sound thin and unsupported.

If they're like me, though, your bandmates might be afraid of sucky bassists who turn up too loud and only play eighth note root notes. That can kill a song's sound: makes it too thick and bassy and poorly balanced, hurts your ears, drowns everyone else out, and doesn't help rhythmically at all. I like bass with punchiness and a good groove.
Here's to my bass player Aaron :cheers:

rspirate
03-26-2006, 12:20 AM
I don't think anybody mentioned that the Doors didn't have a bassist--their keyboard player had two keyboards/electricorgans (not sure which), one regular and one bass. That definitely worked for them, since the Doors kick ass. But if you can't do that, then you need a bass. Preferably a good bass player (they need to know some music theory so they don't just play root notes the whole time).

Freunleven
03-26-2006, 01:17 AM
You've also got to consider the option of switching from guitar to bass yourself. Given that bassists and drummers are always in demand, if you decide that you've had enough of these guys, you can find another band with relative ease.

Also, if you can just get ahold of (rent, borrow, whatever) a bass and bass amp, try this simple little test: Have two girls, one sitting on a guitar amp, and one on the bass amp. While the band plays, guage the reaction of the two girls. I'm pretty sure that this test will inspire your band to realize the necessity of bass.

:satan:

davidp313
03-26-2006, 11:53 AM
to rspirate, he had a hammond with two octaves of keys at his feet, he played the basslines with his feet. When I saw the "New Doors" they had a bass player though.

Gabuydachk
03-26-2006, 12:27 PM
show them a recording of something with bass included, then take out the bass of that recording and show that to them after, any moron will notice a difference
that's the best idea
they'll really see if they want it or not

Baba O'Riley
03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't think anybody mentioned that the Doors didn't have a bassist--their keyboard player had two keyboards/electricorgans (not sure which), one regular and one bass. That definitely worked for them, since the Doors kick ass. But if you can't do that, then you need a bass. Preferably a good bass player (they need to know some music theory so they don't just play root notes the whole time).

But they always hired a session player for their albums. Which is why you'll hear bass on the studio tracks. Obviously they wouldn't have done that if they didn't think it was needed. Also like davidp313 said, now (who's left of) The Doors tour with a bass player.