The Song(s) that changed your view on guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : The Song(s) that changed your view on guitar?

FaultySanity
03-20-2006, 11:56 PM
I remember a guitarworld issue (dec 05, i think) that had "The Album that changed your life" thing on it, were they asked many popular guitarists what album changed their life. I was wondering the same about all you folks, except with the song (or songs) that changed you view on guitar.

For me, it was only recently. Ive been playing guitar for 3 years now and last week i heard the song that blew my mind into its basic elements (thats right...its basic elements). Its called "Searching" by Joe Satriani, and the acually lick im talking about starts at 00:55. Its more than a lick, in my opinion. I feel as if it makes a message out of a guitar. The album its in is called "Is there love in space?" and i think it fits it perfectly. It has the sense of almost a "searching" feel to it. Its such an indescribable feeling when i hear it. Its something that can never be put into words.

Ive always read in magazines in interviews about how an artist or song changed someones life...but i never really felt it until i heard this song.

So anyway, whats a song that really made you re-think your guitar playing?

EndlessGrey
03-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Anything But Mine by Kenny Chesney. Sure, its just a country diddy but I heard it and the fingerpicking sus and major chords and the simple time signatures just spoke to me. the solo made me take. my guitar playing in a new direction. that song makes me feel like im on a mountain.

lucretia_45
03-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Dream Theaters Scenes From A Memory, or Jason Beckers Perpetual Burn
when i heard them i actually started to sit down with a metronome and practiced properly, which has helped a bunch.

XzX_Patrick_XzX
03-21-2006, 12:08 AM
In The Solo Of Cemetary Gates By Pantera When Dime Goes The **** Off.

EZLN libertad
03-21-2006, 12:10 AM
a lot of songs have done it for me
it started with wake up by rage against the machine, that song got me into music
then probably schism by tool, really inspired me
then the glass prison by dream theater, opened my mind up to the possibilities that songs dont have to go intro verse chorus verse chorus solo outro
and currently the drapery falls by opeth, never in my life have i heard something to beautiful and so dissonant within the same song

thetearsibleed
03-21-2006, 12:11 AM
i know its cliche but ill say it, eruption...my dad was a big ass van halen fan in the 80s and i was listening to music one day and he gave me VH1. i picked up a guitar the following week

nirvana4lf
03-21-2006, 12:13 AM
i remember that! i thought that was so ironic because the guy from lamb of god and the guy from fall out boy (who sucks by the way) both had the same album: ...and justice for all by metallica

for me, i think it might be... well theres a lot. really anything by opeth, they really showed me what it means to be metal and progressive and still experiment with other stuff at the same time.

danilo19
03-21-2006, 12:15 AM
The very first, Crazy Train. but pretty much any song by Ozzy with Randy.

Kartman
03-21-2006, 12:17 AM
The kickass guitar work in Incubus's Trouble In 421. That crazy- tapping-funky solo just rips.

HIM%(^
03-21-2006, 12:22 AM
creeping death by metallica. it has everything. it tought me how chord progressions worked because of kirks progressive solo that followed the rythem perfectly. it has fast picking. great solos, everything. it taught me how a great song should go and how to write a phenominal song. it really impacted me signifigantly. the guy above me mentioned ozzy. and ill also go with an ozzy song. no more tears also had a HUGE impact on me. ive never heard so many different moods go through a song. you go from zakks crushing distortion, to his weird slidish confusing riffs. then in the middle you have the beautiful epic piano part. the solo taught me that you dont nesicarily have to play fast, if you play soulful, youll get your point acrose. that solo is one of my alltime most meaninful solos and its beautiful every time i hear it.

n-ocentcriminal
03-21-2006, 12:22 AM
I really enjoyed listening to the haunting melodic tones of Ben Harper's "Woman in You." Not only is it pleasant to jam to, it seems to fully excite the senses and arouse the animalistic desire to boogie. Oh my, oh my! haha

Zero528
03-21-2006, 12:24 AM
One by Metallica I don't think I was playing guitar at the time but i dont remember seeing as it was 5 years ago atleast but I had never heard anyone play a solo like that before and it blew my mind.Cemetery Gates by Pantera showed me how a metal band can go from nice and soft one minute and brutal the next and the solo still blows my mind.And I'm sure theres others but thats all I can think of for now

juniorfr3ak
03-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I got into music when i was 8
I bought FIFA 2000 and Reel Big Fish was on it
yay go loading screens
Ska is still the best

Raginscotsman
03-21-2006, 01:32 AM
The song that changed the way I looked at guitar was 'Dreams Of Children', by The Jam. The guitars on that song always fascinated me, and The Jam slowly took me from metal to post punk/ new wave. Best decision I've ever made.

TimiHendrix33
03-22-2006, 07:34 PM
AC/DC-Back In Black

joshsirjoshules
03-22-2006, 09:41 PM
The song that changed the way I looked at guitar was 'Dreams Of Children', by The Jam. The guitars on that song always fascinated me, and The Jam slowly took me from metal to post punk/ new wave. Best decision I've ever made.

:cheers:

I feel sorry for all of you, there appears to be more than one of me on this site.

Anyways, the whole post punk/new wave movement also changed my view of guitar, with bands such as The Pretenders, New Order/Joy Division, The Jam, The Police, and The Psychedelic Furs. The Beatles obviously did as well, I've got too many influences to list here.

sirpsycho85
03-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Californication for picking up guitar. Some major songs that influenced me are Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Ziggy Stardust, Four on Six, Giant Steps, Minor Swing.

steve vai82
03-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Well I would say One by Metallica really blew me away and showed me what was possible on a guitar. But then about a year ago I started to really get into Steve Vai specifically Tender Surrender just blew me away and he has motivated more than ever to be as good as I possibly can.

duncang
03-25-2006, 05:26 AM
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metallica

I spent an hour last night, just playing that intro, riff and 1st solo.....

I was spellbound.

FrenchyFungus
03-25-2006, 02:15 PM
7 nation army made me pick a guitar up, you can't top that.

flame843
03-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Metallica's "Master of Puppets" blew my mind the first time I heard it. I had no idea that a song could balance aggressive and heavy elements with slow, melodic parts and harmonies. It was also the first really long metal song I'd ever heard.

joe satriani's
03-25-2006, 07:21 PM
The serching likc at 55 seconds is amazing, but on the joe satriani extremist album, in the song the extremist at 1:20 through the solo, thats what made me into what i am now. joe satriani rules, see him at a venue near you. with his new super colossal tour

May i add the song crying also on the extremist album is the first song i ever reallylernt on guitar when i was 9
ive never forgotten it and i never will!

JkHalen
03-25-2006, 10:41 PM
well what can i say? lol 3 songs for Van Halen really inspired me to play guitar which were "Eruption", "Mean streats", and "Panama".

Moody16
03-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Fade to Black by Metallica was the first song i learned to play...continueing on to Nothing Else Matters and then One...I had never listened to metal music before but i liked it...then hearing Stevie Ray Vaughn and his unique style....Hendrix and his wah pedal...then listening to greats like Jeff Beck and Steve Morse is why i picked up a guitar

SickMetal
03-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Metallica was the first one, first thing that I really liked outside of bad numetal bands.

Then I really got into Steve Morse and Eric Johnson. That was nuts.

Gabuydachk
03-26-2006, 12:57 PM
4'33" by John Cage
not a guitar song, but can technically be played on guitar ;)

Iluvpowerchords
03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
4'33" by John Cage
not a guitar song, but can technically be played on guitar ;)

Isn't that the one where you just sit there for a long time and do nothing?

9mmpainpill
03-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Tie:
Orion-Metallica
Machine Gun-Jimi Hendrix
Little Wing-Jimi Hendrix

Orion because of the middle section (I Love It)
Machine Gun because its prolly Jimi's finest guitar performance.
Little Wing......self explanatory

mingles
03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Steve Vai - Passion and warfare made me realize that there is no limit to what you can do with a guitar. Think you've done everything you can with it? pah!

GnRrelease_it
03-27-2006, 10:30 PM
somewhat cliché, but Wish You Were Here quadrupled my appreciation for my acoustic.

mexican_shred
03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Yngwie Malmsteens Rising Force(the whole thign )
Evil Eye was a greta track
Black star ..wow when i heard it i was amazed.
FBTS
ect..

Showed me a great combo of "metal" and classical.

Stratwizard
03-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Hearing Gary Moore's Loner and Santana's Europa were the ones that really made me want to learn how to play guitar. Then, probably some Iron Maiden and Metallica songs.

Then, some Arch Enemy, Opeth, Norther, Children Of Bodom...

Later on, Steve Vai's For The Love Of God, Jason Becker's Altitudes and Racer X's Scarified.

Guitarplaya27
03-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Well i used to only play metal till i listened to Dont Cry by Guns n Roses, it taught me to play some softer songs and get a little away from metal

bc_rich_lovers
04-08-2006, 11:36 AM
What Make Me Change My Perception Is Tha ****ing Of Michael Angello Speed Kills I Almost Cry Lol But I Was Playing Eruption And And Think Its Was Extreme And Someone Chalenge Me To Learn This Song And I Listen Its And Said I Realy Suck Compare To This Guys :(

bc_rich_lovers
04-08-2006, 11:36 AM
WOW THIS SONG IS insane

Snudge
07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Arch Enemy - Ravenous

daniel_nor
07-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Metallica - Master of puppets from the S&M consert made me pick up the gitar again!

wilty00
07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Fade to Black for sure.

Iluvpowerchords
07-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Sister Ray - Velvet underground
Waves of Fear - Lou Reed
Fun House - Stooges
Blank Generation - Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Anghellic
07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
The first Anal **** song I heard, I forget which one exactly. After hearing it, I just stopped trying.

Sabbath69
07-29-2006, 09:07 AM
The First song I ever played (on bass, maybe not guitar but close enough) was Highway to Hell, not the biggest AC/DC fan (Angus is insane good though) because the bass player is horrible and the first time I've ever touched a bass I could play it perfectly. The song that tought me how to do everything I play is Black Sabbath's Into the Void, when I'm doing speed training I play Metallica or Run To the Hills by Iron Maiden (Don't like them much either but their bassist is sick). right now I'm trying to get better by playing Flea but he's way to good for me at this level, I've only been playing for a year and a half.