Bogner VS Mesa

PDA

View Full Version : Bogner VS Mesa

Syn Harvest
03-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Allright Quick question as i have some money coming in pretty soon. IM looking for a good metal distortion like a Bogner Uberschall or a Mesa Triaxis i know the Triaxis is much much more versatile but i know the Uber has that dark distortion. does anybody knwo if i will be able to get a bogner esque tone out of the triaxis

THX

mikeh
03-21-2006, 04:47 PM
To be honest i'm hugely biased towards Bogner because of the sheer awesome and inspiring sound you can get out of pretty much all their amps.

Mesa are great too, but you'll just have to think of what you're primarily going to use the amp for.

Freddedonna
03-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Bogner = Boner
You'll get one when you try it. Believe me.

Neon Knight
03-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Bogner = Boner
You'll get one when you try it. Believe me.

wow, what a perfect way of putting it. :liplick:

I love bogner, but i havent tried the mesa so im kind of biased (by default)

my suggestion, try them out.

Tim_Miles
03-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Bogner anyday...but i am also biased towards bogner lol

Spynal
03-21-2006, 05:09 PM
It's a simple equation:

(Bogner = Mesa^3) > Humanity

Syn Harvest
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Allrigth i think we see who the winner in this category is. Ya im just gonna be using it for heavy hi gain distortion rhythm stuff then probably with a tube screamer for leads. and ill probably by a seperate amp for cleans.

Thats a good question how are the cleans on the bogner

Spynal
03-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Pretty goddamn good.

Pansy Frank
03-21-2006, 05:46 PM
whats the cheapest bogner?

xxgenocide98xx
03-21-2006, 05:46 PM
you're ****ing insane. Why the hell would you want an amp for cleans and distortion? the cleans on the uberschall are fine.

On another note- The Triaxis is a beast. I'd easily say it rivals the uberschall. Don't forget you'd need a poweramp as well.

on yet ANOTHER note-

What the hell is with everyone making 500000 amp threads?

JimiMan1535
03-21-2006, 06:02 PM
I hope you're prepared to pay $4000+. If I could find a used or good deal on an Uberschall I'd get one, but for the long run I'd prefer a Triaxis. They are some of the most versatile pieces of equipment you can have, and much cheaper. Plus the uber only has 2 channels, which I don't like.

And yea you're right Genocide, everybody's got amp fever.

Syn Harvest
03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
you're ****ing insane. Why the hell would you want an amp for cleans and distortion? the cleans on the uberschall are fine.

On another note- The Triaxis is a beast. I'd easily say it rivals the uberschall. Don't forget you'd need a poweramp as well.

on yet ANOTHER note-

What the hell is with everyone making 500000 amp threads?

I personally like really nice cleans and i asked that because i know on the triple rec for instance the cleans arent that great so i was wondering if the cleans on the uberschall are good

im making this thred because im probably going to be getting about 17,000 dollars in a week(knock on wood) lucky me. and i know the uberschal and a triaxis with power amp are going to be about the same priceso thats why i put the two together

on a side note The Uberschall plus cab is going to run me 3757 USD Exactly

Neon Knight
03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Pretty goddamn good.

wow i never thought i would see you here :confused:

but your right, the ubershall has quite a decent clean tone which is further enhanced IMO with a hint of analog chorus.

Syn Harvest
03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
ok well bogner it is then. ill post some pics and clips when i get it.

Thx guys :cheers:

corgan33
03-21-2006, 07:20 PM
I've heard bogners on stage before and the Triaxis can get extremely close with the bass shift on the power amp. :D
Gotta love 100+ channels too.

xxgenocide98xx
03-21-2006, 07:28 PM
I've heard bogners on stage before and the Triaxis can get extremely close with the bass shift on the power amp. :D
Gotta love 100+ channels too.

People very often underestimate the asskickery of the Triaxis.

To me the Uberschall is like a cross between a 5150 and a mesa/boogie rectifier, which is pretty close to the tone of a MK-IV or something as well, but alittle bit fatter.

In all honesty you shouldn't go out and purchase amps right away. You should spend as much time as possible trying them out before you buy because its no good to just WASTE a bunch of money on an amp you wont like.

ibanez4life SZ!
03-21-2006, 07:34 PM
^ I agree. When spending this much, you better make sure you love it to death before you buy it. This is serious gear, and without trying it, I really wouldn't spend the money.

nic_2090
03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
I've heard a ton of good things about the Mesa Triaxis. Although, I've heard quite a few Bogners, and they sound amazing. This is the way I'll put it:

If you want/need to have a nice, light overdrive rock tone, then you should probably go for the Mesa, although, the high-gain tones might not be quite as good (although, still amazing).

If you're ok with nice cleans, and a huge, full, and heavy distortion then the Bogner is a beast. And besides, if you decide that you do want a light overdrive tone, just run an overdrive pedal through the clean channel, and you got it. Also, the amazing high-gain tones that the Bogner give are a pretty good explanation of why it's so expensive.

xxgenocide98xx
03-21-2006, 08:08 PM
^ lol?

As if a bogner is a one trick pony or the mesa triaxis can only do low gain applications

You forget that the triaxis has channels modeled after the rectifier AND the mark-IV, both of which are nut-crushingly heavy.

Ka$h
03-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Syn im guessing you like avenged sevenfold? hence the amp and name? i might be entirely wrong though haha

Syn Harvest
03-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Syn im guessing you like avenged sevenfold? hence the amp and name? i might be entirely wrong though haha

Avenged Sevenfold are ok The name is actually from a video game

I chose the amp because i have tried alot of amps all the marshalls and peaveys. Randalls,Hughes n Kettner, Mesas. they all just dont seem to do it for me. I have unfortunatly never played the bogner or the Triaxis. and ive got a lot of money coming in (knock on wood) and im not gonna buy something if i dont adore it. i wish i had a chance to try some diezels(sp?) and Engl but im in america

The Recto was decent and i liked the JMP-1 nice classic crunch. but im looking for dark High Gain and i know the Bogners have Dark High Gain, but i am also appealed by the Triaxis because it has such a large array of tones it can cover

xxgenocide98xx
03-21-2006, 11:29 PM
You live in tampa.. there has gotta be one of each near you SOMEWHERE.

Guitar Center carry Diezel now..

Syn Harvest
03-21-2006, 11:33 PM
You live in tampa.. there has gotta be one of each near you SOMEWHERE.

Guitar Center carry Diezel now..

What Are You Serious

If they do i love you forever for bestowing this knowledge on to me

ALL HAIL xxgenocide98xx :headbang:

BlinkBlinkBlink
03-22-2006, 04:02 AM
On the topic of Diezels, being an owner myself, i have 2 suggestions for you in terms of where to look. Im going to have to suggest the vh4, seeing as how i bought one for myself. The Herbert would i would also recommend, and i'll explain why in a bit. Both have great tone, but the vh4 has an extra channel that is just another increase in gain, tone is also different from the herbert, in terms of headroom i would suspect. Scroll down to my last paragraph if you dont want to read my story, but if you do, here it is:

I bought the vh4, and enjoyed it for a period of time. However, i did find the amp sounding much, much too dark for my liking. It was also lacking in some ways, but its hard to get my hands on what. I did a lot of tweaking, used an eq, and still could not get the sound i liked. So i returned it, got my money back, and set out to try and find a herbert. I did find one when i was vacationing in New York, and i thought it was absolutely fantastic, much better than the vh4 in my opinion. the tone was just a lot more fuller, and it wasn't as compressed sounding as the vh4. So i bought it on the spot and when i took it back home, i got a diezel 412 cab from my local store, the ONLY one, seeing as how the diezels were hard to get there.

If your too lazy to read that, ill summarize it for you: Vh4 - dark, much like an engl in some ways, with a compressed sound that you could get used to, depending on what amp you come from
Herbert - a lot fuller, a much better clean, and is supposedly built for metal, although it delivers much more

All else fails, you could look into Vht heads or soldano, which would probably still suit your musical tastes, although i've only tried soldano, and that was back when i was quite a big evh fan.
Good luck in finding your amp

Syn Harvest
03-22-2006, 06:49 AM
thx guys Genocide do u have a kink about this diezel at guitar center thing

Dave_Mc
03-22-2006, 09:48 AM
In all honesty you shouldn't go out and purchase amps right away. You should spend as much time as possible trying them out before you buy because its no good to just WASTE a bunch of money on an amp you wont like.

+1

Dave_Mc
03-22-2006, 09:52 AM
On the topic of Diezels, being an owner myself, i have 2 suggestions for you in terms of where to look. Im going to have to suggest the vh4, seeing as how i bought one for myself. The Herbert would i would also recommend, and i'll explain why in a bit. Both have great tone, but the vh4 has an extra channel that is just another increase in gain, tone is also different from the herbert, in terms of headroom i would suspect. Scroll down to my last paragraph if you dont want to read my story, but if you do, here it is:

I bought the vh4, and enjoyed it for a period of time. However, i did find the amp sounding much, much too dark for my liking. It was also lacking in some ways, but its hard to get my hands on what. I did a lot of tweaking, used an eq, and still could not get the sound i liked. So i returned it, got my money back, and set out to try and find a herbert. I did find one when i was vacationing in New York, and i thought it was absolutely fantastic, much better than the vh4 in my opinion. the tone was just a lot more fuller, and it wasn't as compressed sounding as the vh4. So i bought it on the spot and when i took it back home, i got a diezel 412 cab from my local store, the ONLY one, seeing as how the diezels were hard to get there.

If your too lazy to read that, ill summarize it for you: Vh4 - dark, much like an engl in some ways, with a compressed sound that you could get used to, depending on what amp you come from
Herbert - a lot fuller, a much better clean, and is supposedly built for metal, although it delivers much more

All else fails, you could look into Vht heads or soldano, which would probably still suit your musical tastes, although i've only tried soldano, and that was back when i was quite a big evh fan.
Good luck in finding your amp

Didn't you make a thread when you got the VH4 saying how it was the best amp ever? :wtf:

Also, the VH4 sounds nothing like an engl, IMO.

i wish i had a chance to try some diezels(sp?) and Engl but im in america

er, isn't rocksolidamps in florida? Granted, judging by you americans, Florida is probably the size of western europe + Africa (joke), but it's worth a shot... You could try out engl, framus, madison, and splawn there.

Syn Harvest
03-22-2006, 11:35 AM
^ i have never heard of this rocksolid amps do u have a link. also florida aint that big its only about 200 miles across at its widest. then from the south to north its abotu 500 miles

Erock503
03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
;)
http://www.rocksolidamps.com/main.php

Rock Solid Amps
7300 S.W 16th St.
Plantation, Fl 33317

Syn Harvest
03-22-2006, 05:40 PM
;)
http://www.rocksolidamps.com/main.php

Rock Solid Amps
7300 S.W 16th St.
Plantation, Fl 33317

OMG This is near me

Ok now quicl question how does the Framus Dragon Sound in comparison to the Cobra

and how does The ENGL Savage Sound and the ENGL Savage SE

Dave_Mc
03-22-2006, 05:58 PM
^ I haven't tried them, but from what i hear the dragon is more organic, while the cobra is more metal, and has a few more options.

I don't think rocksolid have any savage se's, they've been discontinued.

Listen to the soundclips, they give a reasonable indication.

Also, I recommend downloading some manuals for the engls to familiarise yourself with them before you go: www.engl-amps.com

They're easy if you're familiar with them, but complex if you're not. It's very easy to not have it on the high gain setting, and then wonder why everyone thinks they're so heavy-sounding, lol.

for the savage, you want it on rough, and lead mode, with the gains up high on both crunch2 and lead channels (the gain on crunch 2 affects the gain on lead). You want to try as many amps as you can get your hands on there, though- powerball too- and try the se if you think you can try without having to buy, lol.

:cheers:

Erock503
03-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I haven't gotten to try the Dragon or any ENGL's for tht matter unfortunately, but the Cobra is just supposed to be a souped up higher gain version of the Dragon from what I was told.

Bulletbass man
03-22-2006, 06:04 PM
They're both great. I'd take the mesa for more channels oh. A channel for soloing is always a plus.

Syn Harvest
03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
how would it sound if i used an AB switch and Run an Uberschall and Cobra together would it be smart

Erock503
03-22-2006, 07:33 PM
hehe, I don't know about smart, but definitely fun! That would be a badass setup to play through.

Personally though, if I was going to use 2 high quality amps on an A/B/Y, I would get one to cover cleans->blues->rock, then one of the rip your face off metal amps to cover the rest. That's just what I would do though, it's your loot, so do what's going to get you jazzed to play.

Syn Harvest
03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
^ Ya but if i got it i would layer a metal tone and have one just be deep and chunky and the other have a bit more mids and highs and overlap them

Erock503
03-22-2006, 07:46 PM
sure man, I didn't say it was stupid or anything. I really liked what corgan33 did with his JMP-1 and Triaxis. He just had a thread with both together, and I thought it sounded pretty badass.

Syn Harvest
03-22-2006, 07:49 PM
ill search for it and see if it has what im looking for that sounds like a badass combination too

BlinkBlinkBlink
03-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Didn't you make a thread when you got the VH4 saying how it was the best amp ever? :wtf:

Hehe that might have been someone else....the only time i talked about that was when Ibanez4life was working on the concept of getting a mesa. And about the vh4 engl comparison, i was speaking mainly on the presence, although i may be dearly incorrect in saying so.

power freak
03-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Seconded.

I agree with whoever it was saying you shouldn't spend that much money without checking the options first. For a metal amp check out the Engls, Diezels and stuff that's been mentioned before plus:

-Koch Powertone (I think that's the name of the metal one)
-Rivera Knucklehead (A sort of Recto vibe but way more versatile and with Fender-ish cleans)
-Soldano (Most models would do you fine personally I like the hot rod for heaviness but the choice is yours.)

Mattieoak
03-25-2006, 08:23 AM
didn't steve vai play through bogner for a while, why did he change to carvin??

power freak
03-25-2006, 08:35 AM
didn't steve vai play through bogner for a while, why did he change to carvin??
He played Bogners on ALS (funnily enough the only tone of his I like!) He used carvin since the dawn of time though, I forget exactly why there's a bogner on ALS but I'm guessing it was just something kicking around the studio. Also I don't think bogner sponsor people so maybe he didn't want to risk taking it on tour now he HAS to use carvin due to contract? I don't know I'm just guessing now..

Mattieoak
03-25-2006, 08:49 AM
yeah i preferred his bogner sound on the g3 live dvd with eric johnson

Syn Harvest
03-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Ya so i went and tried a few more amps a bunch actually.

I know a guy at Guitar Center and he owns a Bunch of them.

I tried

Mesa Triaxis, Bogner Uberschall, Bogner XTC, Framus Cobra, Soldano SLO 100, Soldano Avenger, ENGL Powerball, Engl Savage, Hughes n Kettner ???, and a Marshall JMP-1

Lucky me he had most of these lucky bastard. hes like 40 so hes been collecting for awhile.

Now unfortunatly im back to the start I liked almost all of the amps especially the Engl Savage, Bogner Uberschall, The Triaxis, and the JMP-1

But i Have Narrowed it back down to The Uberschall and Triaixs they are my two favorites of all of them even though some of those amps were amazing.

I just wanted to Update You Guys i have all my opinions so i guess its just up to me on what i want. DAMN IT I CANT CHOOSE. lol this is hard

Neon Knight
03-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Seconded.

I agree with whoever it was saying you shouldn't spend that much money without checking the options first. For a metal amp check out the Engls, Diezels and stuff that's been mentioned before plus:

-Rivera Knucklehead (A sort of Recto vibe but way more versatile and with Fender-ish cleans)
-Soldano (Most models would do you fine personally I like the hot rod for heaviness but the choice is yours.)

soldano= :liplick:

I havent tried the hot rod though

hhcave
03-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Uberschall - WOW. Played a Jackson SLH2 through it, no effects.... :o heavier than a goddam tank

Syn Harvest
03-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Uberschall - WOW. Played a Jackson SLH2 through it, no effects.... :o heavier than a goddam tank

Now from my experience i can say its true

Dave_Mc
03-25-2006, 11:33 AM

+1 on the koch- the multitone almost got into metal territory, so I'd figure the powertone warrants a look, lol

the other two are meant to be great too, but i haven't been able to try them

Dave_Mc
03-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Ya so i went and tried a few more amps a bunch actually.

I know a guy at Guitar Center and he owns a Bunch of them.

I tried

Mesa Triaxis, Bogner Uberschall, Bogner XTC, Framus Cobra, Soldano SLO 100, Soldano Avenger, ENGL Powerball, Engl Savage, Hughes n Kettner ???, and a Marshall JMP-1

Lucky me he had most of these lucky bastard. hes like 40 so hes been collecting for awhile.

Now unfortunatly im back to the start I liked almost all of the amps especially the Engl Savage, Bogner Uberschall, The Triaxis, and the JMP-1

But i Have Narrowed it back down to The Uberschall and Triaixs they are my two favorites of all of them even though some of those amps were amazing.

I just wanted to Update You Guys i have all my opinions so i guess its just up to me on what i want. DAMN IT I CANT CHOOSE. lol this is hard

:haha

yeah, that's the problem- at that price, they're all good, lol...

It's great you were able to try all of those, though- at least now you have something to go on...

let us know what you decide to do, or if you want any more advice, lol

Syn Harvest
03-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Ya thx for all the opinions at this rate im probably going to go with the Bogner because the Triaxis is great but the whole rack thing is a hassle having to get a Power conditioner and power amp and rack case id prefer not to have to deal with.

but if i had everything rack mounted it would make transportation easier.

Damn it i thought i had it ****!!!!!!!