Finger Speed

PDA

View Full Version : Finger Speed

harkkam
03-21-2006, 10:45 PM
HI guys, Im a total newbie and Im using guitar tabs to learn how to play the guitar and Im really stuck, becuase I just cant seem to get faster, my fingers dont move fast enough and they dont have clean notes or they hit the wrong string. What should I do? I tired streching my fingers and they just dont move fast enough to where I want them. My hands jar and freeze at times. Why?

How can I fix and exercise my fingers to get them to move faster and hold stronger.

bob311
03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
first, slow down, alot. learn everything so slow you can play it perfectly, then just get faster and faster over time.

Schecter88
03-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Practice Practice practice, Id suggest working on some scales, Do you do any currently? I have a begginers guitar lessons for free on the internet, lemme find the link real quick, should give yiou a good basis on where to start. Here's the link http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm?terms=guitar+lessons

harkkam
03-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Im very new I dont know when you mean chords or scales

BlackViper
03-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Slow things down then slowly speed up. Also try doing some chromatic scales.
If you dont know what a chromatic scale is its 1 2 3 4 on each string. ( Im not good at explaining things)

CanadianLoonie
03-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah chromatic scales will help your finger speed greatly. Also play random chords gradually getting faster to get more familiar with them.

Edit:

Chromatic scales are like this:

e|-----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2----------
B|------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------5-4-3-2--
G|-------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
D|---------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------
A|-----------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------
E|-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------------

and then you keep going like that up (in pitch) the fretboard

BlackViper
03-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah chromatic scales will help your finger speed greatly. Also play random chords gradually getting faster to get more familiar with them.

Edit:

Chromatic scales are like this:

e|-----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2----------
B|------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------2-3-4-5--
G|-------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
D|---------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------
A|-----------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------
E|-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------------

and then you keep going like that up (in pitch) the fretboard

That is what I was trying to say when I said 1 2 3 4 on each string. Ecept I dont usualy go 2 3 4 5 going back down. Ill try that from now on.

Logz
03-21-2006, 11:51 PM
make sure your hands arent cold either ;)

Just practice your scales, start slowly, and work up speed. remember, accuracy > speed

try using a metronome

CanadianLoonie
03-22-2006, 12:15 AM
to BlackViper: I actually meant to say 5-4-3-2 instead of 2-3-4-5. I alternate from using my fingers as 1, 2, 3, 4 and 4, 3, 2, 1 in each position. So in first position it would be 1st finger, 2nd finger, 3rd finger, 4th finger. In second position it would be 4th finger, 3rd finger, 2nd finger, 1st finger. Then just keep alternating that. Sorry if that's hard to understand. I edited my chromatic scales post again with the right thing.

Zach_F
03-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Play stuff. Over, and over and over and over and over and over. etc.
One night when I was really bored and in a bad mood. I sat down put the amp on clean and just did that excersise for 3 straight hours while I was thinking. It got to the point where I was doing it without even thinking. Use a metronome if possible. Start it at 100 and work up till you can do 200. (8th notes).

Steve1705
03-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Im very new I dont know when you mean chords or scales

A scale is a progressive amount of notes put together. They're all in the same key.

One sample would be C D E F G A Bb C. I Believe that's the C scale, don't quote me on that as it's been a while since I've memorized any scales.

A chord is putting your fingers on a fret in a way that it comes out with a sound in the key that the chord is named after trying to play.

For instance, a G major is 3 2 0 0 0 3

The first fret, the 3 on the E string, is a G. The other notes compliment it. If you hold it up to a tuner it should register as a G on it.

Johnljones7443
03-22-2006, 10:49 AM
A scale is a progressive amount of notes put together. They're all in the same key.

One sample would be C D E F G A Bb C. I Believe that's the C scale, don't quote me on that as it's been a while since I've memorized any scales.

A chord is putting your fingers on a fret in a way that it comes out with a sound in the key that the chord is named after trying to play.

For instance, a G major is 3 2 0 0 0 3

The first fret, the 3 on the E string, is a G. The other notes compliment it. If you hold it up to a tuner it should register as a G on it.

The C major scale doesn't contain any sharps or flats, so the notes consist of:

C D E F G A B.

To the threadstarter, remember to play on your fingertips if you're having trouble getting your notes to ring clearly.

Perhaps pick up a beginner book to get you started?

Dirk Gently
03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
I suggest that you go and buy a copy of "The New Complete Guitarist." It will explain everything as far as scales and chords go, shows you pictures of proper positioning, all that fun stuff. And trying to play fast when you don't even know the basics will just get you frustrated and posting on internet forums asking why you can't play fast when you don't even know what you're supposed to be doing.