Van Der Graaf Generator

PDA

View Full Version : Van Der Graaf Generator

streetcarp19
03-22-2006, 04:38 PM
I only have "Pawn Hearts" right now, and man, is it just brilliant. Consists of only three songs, all over ten minutes, and the last one being 23 min. I am probably going to get "Godbluff" next, but i was just wondering what some of the fans on here(if there are any) thought were their best albums and what I should get next.

God, these guys rock.

Andrewbiles
03-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I've never heard a whole album, but they are definately a classic band that people should look into at some point in their life.

streetcarp19
03-23-2006, 12:22 AM
^That's surprising, cause they really are an album oriented band, at least from what I've heard.

And I was curious of the response around hear, cause there is very little guitar work on their album,s and what there is, is done by the mighty Mr. Fripp.

NineInchNails_0
04-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah. They're great. Their best song in definitely Killer. I've got every album with 'em and their all great. Good to say that there are at least one fan in here except for me.

thecool
04-19-2006, 03:31 PM
I love 'em. They have a very original sound that I just can't get enough of. Pawn Hearts and Godbluff are both awesome albums.

VoodooChild15
04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Never heard of them, but that is such a great name.

Supreme WarHawk
11-30-2006, 11:53 PM
they're pretty crazy. good though.

TheHeartbreaker
12-02-2006, 01:21 PM
I am a huge Progressive Rock fan, and have heard songs and watched videos by these guys on the Internet, but have yet to find one of their albums in stores.

I have enjoyed everything I've heard by them, though, and would without question buy one of their albums if I saw one.

lexhibit
12-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Pawn Hearts is the one to start with . Try amazon.com. IT takes a few listens to get used to but is very good, the singer Peter Hammill sounds like a younger Peter Gabriel bit in a higher bizzare whacked out singing style. For old school prog, try out Gentle Giant. Very strange, but very good also.

Supreme WarHawk
12-02-2006, 03:56 PM
^ yeah, I've basically given up trying to find most of the CDs I want in stores. kinda sad. and Gentle Giant is great. very different than Van der Gaaf though.

duncang
12-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Godbluff is great.

TheHeartbreaker
12-02-2006, 07:35 PM
^ yeah, I've basically given up trying to find most of the CDs I want in stores. kinda sad. and Gentle Giant is great. very different than Van der Gaaf though.

That's exactly how I feel.

A lot of stores basically only have Greatest Hits CDs, and the ones that do contain actual albums of have the albums of well-known bands/artists.

It's really depressing. :sad:

lexhibit
12-02-2006, 10:20 PM
That's exactly how I feel.

A lot of stores basically only have Greatest Hits CDs, and the ones that do contain actual albums of have the albums of well-known bands/artists.

It's really depressing. :sad:

I agree, CD stores are becoming a joke, even Borders. I buy everything from amazon used. CD's are usually cheap even for out of print stuff. They do get you with the shipping charges, but I always find what I want on amazon.com, they are partners with Borders now and in the next few years everything will be online, unfortunately the age of the record store is dying, unless you find the rare record shop.

lexhibit
12-02-2006, 10:23 PM
I agree, CD stores are becoming a joke, even Borders. I buy everything from amazon used. CD's are usually cheap even for out of print stuff. They do get you with the shipping charges, but I always find what I want on amazon.com, they are partners with Borders now and in the next few years everything will be online, unfortunately the age of the record store is dying, unless you find the rare record shop.

Not a bad price for an import out of print prog classic.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0009F9O6W/sr=1-2/qid=1165112480/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6695706-5981405?ie=UTF8&s=music

TheHeartbreaker
12-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Hm... Interesting...

Supreme WarHawk
12-08-2006, 01:43 AM
though I haven't heard a ton, my favorite songs are Killer and Man-Erg.

Supreme WarHawk
12-12-2006, 01:37 AM
and good Lord Peter Hammill's voice is amazing.

streetcarp19
01-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Since starting this thread, I have also got Godbluff, and can safely say it is almost as equal to Pawn Hearts. Sleepwalkers is now easily one of my favorites by them.

romencer17
06-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Only have 'H To He, Who Am The Only One", and it is kick ass. The bonus 15 minute jam is incredible, although every song on there is amazing. really need to get some more stuff from these dudes.

TheLlamaMan
06-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Since starting this thread, I have also got Godbluff, and can safely say it is almost as equal to Pawn Hearts. Sleepwalkers is now easily one of my favorites by them.

I must say that Godbluff (along with H to He, Who am the Only One) is my favourite VDGG album. The growing dynamics of "The Undercover Man" and Hammill's expressive vocals in "Scorched Earth" as well as the other tracks really makes it fantastic.

romencer17
03-14-2011, 07:19 PM
soo the new album came out today. No where to be found online, but I did find the other two albums they have made recently and am interested to hear what they are making now. Also, they're playing shows but only in UK and a couple other Europe dates I think.