kenny wayne or Jonny Lang?

PDA

View Full Version : kenny wayne or Jonny Lang?

Stoner Loner
03-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Hey you guys remember the revival of blues in the mid 80s-90s ecspecially in the main stream right?Then you know about the two kids who were amazing at guitar and mainly blues outta the two (Kenny Wayne Shepherd,Jonny Lang) wich do you think was better.
I think Jonny Lang was above Kenny as he sung alot more of his material(wich for the most part wasnt actually his own but improvised to his sound) and was generally better at guitar (imo) he does a really good job on the song "Darker Side".
What are your opinions?

Steve Cropper
03-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Lonnie Johnson. I don't like either of the choices.

Slurgi
03-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Wasn't it Jonny Lang that was kinda forced to do blues so much that he almost began to reject it and started doing more folk music?

Or is that some other guy/something I just imagined?

DoverHockeyPunk
03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
kenny wayne

tommyt
03-22-2006, 08:45 PM
johnny lang

FunkedUp
03-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Personally neither, I think they're everything that's wrong with a lot of so-called 'modern blues' and make horrible, tasteless music

Stoner Loner
03-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Kenny Wayne Shepherd kinda started to split apart from the blues and drifted into a more modern scene.Jonny Took alonger time.Both came out with a new album wiht in the last 2 years.
I agree these arent the blues of the 40s these are re hashed planned to be commercial groups.But i apreciate their talent.

Derigiberble
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Lonnie Johnson. I don't like either of the choices.

whats lonnie got to do with this?

electricblues
03-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Im gonna have to say kenny, to me he sounds so much like SRV(well in most of his older songs) but it sucks he hasnt came out with anything new in awile, i did read an article that he might be realising a single late this year. johnny lang is also good, young talented, watched him on eric claptons guitar fesitval. I dont tihnk he could quite stand up to kenny tho

Ovation Celeb Deluxe

The Master Plan
03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Kenny can't sing don't know about Lang never heard him. I think Kenny Wayne is a great guitarist but poor singer, and his last album just sucked I.M.O. Withe the exception of Belive and Burdens two great songs.

Steve Cropper
03-23-2006, 08:24 PM
whats lonnie got to do with this?

Absolutely nothing I just chose him thats all.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
03-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Both of them went in a completely different direction on there lastest albums, both of which not many liked. I disliked the new KWS a whole lot, but me being a big acoustic/folk/pop fan, I dug the new Jonny Lang nonetheless.

They both can play there instrument very well, but Jonny is really the only one who could sing so good. Jonny didnt write a whole lot of his songs, where Kenny did to some degree.

Overall, I love them both way too much to pick between. And just so you guys know, Kenny has this new CD/DVD package coming out soon, its going to be very cool. Check it out ASAP.

EDIT: Another thing, when your talking '90s blues musicians/Stevie Ray Vaughan-abees, you cant forget about Chris Duarte.

TexasFlooder
03-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Kenny reminds me of a late SRV. Not even close to the same guitar ability, but in the fact that he pays tribute to the creators. I really enjoy a few of Kenny's original songs, but I fear he'll be completley out of the biz' in the next 10 years.

terrencemaddox
03-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Mr. Lang...he just sounds more appealing to my ears.

Gabuydachk
03-26-2006, 02:02 AM
haven't heard much of johnny lang, so i guess it's KWS for me

Derigiberble
03-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Absolutely nothing I just chose him thats all.

Good choice ;)

rod koc
04-23-2006, 10:53 AM
kenny wayne esp. that album trouble is...! and he IS a good singer!

IrishBlues
04-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Kenny Wayne hands down. Saw him live last year, his cover of Voodoo Child was really impressive. If Jonny Lang would play more songs like Darker Side I might have to reconsider.

The Master Plan
04-23-2006, 08:15 PM
kenny wayne esp. that album trouble is...! and he IS a good singer!
If you think it was Kenny singing on his first cd's it wasnt it was his singer Noah Hunt, he sings most of the songs on his newest cd The Place Your In except for Belive and Burdens which I.M.O are the two best songs on the album. Ive listened to two of Lang's songs I cant remember the names, but I liked em and whatve Ive heard is that on one of em' he was 14 hen he recorded it is that true?

rod koc
04-29-2006, 08:11 AM
If you think it was Kenny singing on his first cd's it wasnt
So he wasnt singing on the album trouble is? :confused:

fenderfreak101
04-29-2006, 01:59 PM
his cover of Voodoo Child was really impressive.

I had to leave right as he started that.

I heard it while walking to my car though, phenomenal.

SSSteve
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
I like them both. But I think Kenny is a far better guitarist.

I've never seen Kenny. But I have seen Jonny. He put on an excellent show - but I was probably more impressed by his singing than his playing. He definitely can play a nice, soulful blues solo - but he sings his ass off. From what I've heard though - his playing is somewhat one-dimensional and his deepest grooves are just not quite as deep as Kenny's.

...however - the fact that Johnny A opened this show likely has a LOT to do with my lesser respect for Jonny Lang's playing. To the guitarists in the crowd, the contrast was striking - and the segue was anti-climactic. To the non-guitarists - Jonny Lang's stage presence and singing probably made the opposite true.

IrishBlues
04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Johnny A. is incredible

SSSteve
04-30-2006, 02:58 PM
...so was Rory Gallagher - albeit incredible in different ways.

homeslicka
05-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Kenny sounded too much like SRV in his guitar playing

smokeebunny
05-02-2006, 10:38 PM
their both great players, but (and i will probably get flamed for this) i think Johnny Lang from a voice aspect tries to sound to black, his playing is alright, i guess i am more of a rock guy though and would have to go with KWS

The Master Plan
05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
So he wasnt singing on the album trouble is? :confused:
No it was his lead singer Noah Hunt, you can hear him sing on Alive off his "The Place Your in " album

fefepoodles
11-11-2007, 02:15 PM
jonny lang

btw. havent found any tabs for darker side =(

nightraven
11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
I love both of them, prefer KWS though even though his solos are mostly direct copies of SRVs. Lang has decent imagination in his songs. But meh, KWS is a better songwriter in general. IDK :p:

Roll251
11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Johnny Lang has a sound that is HIS, and that's all I'm going to say.

SuburbanCowboy
11-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I absolutely can't stand Lang's voice. I would rather masturbate with spicy mustard than hear him sing.

JvL
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Defo Johnny Lang but only on the albums "Lie to me" and "Wander this World"...

A real loss that he dropped the blues and went to gospell :(

kill_busted
11-12-2007, 06:50 PM
johnny lang!! red light! woow

Blurry 505
11-19-2007, 03:35 AM
I would have to say Jonny Lang for his first albums. Keep in mind this guy was 15 when his first one came out and hit it big.

I currently am actually taking lessons from his teacher up here in Minnesota. He was NOT a commercially created band. He was born with a lot of his talent from his family of very very musically inclined musicians. He happened to rise to the scene during the "blues revival" of the 90's. Yes I understand he did not write a lot of his songs, matter of fact hardly any of them, but he did all the guitar playing - straight up.

And for those of you who want a Darker Side tab - good luck! Haha cause my teacher says that was jump into the studio, do it, and walk out. Pretty much a jam in other words. So figure out the key and jam along!

Theres my rant for the night :)

chea_man
11-20-2007, 02:03 PM
kws is the better guitar player.
but i absolutely love jonny langs gospel album.

and i hear rumors of kws finally doing a blues cd again.

Roll251
11-21-2007, 03:10 AM
I absolutely can't stand Lang's voice. I would rather masturbate with spicy mustard than hear him sing.

Haha, but at least you can tell who the person you don't like is when you hear him.

gopherthegreat
11-22-2007, 03:44 PM
i like kenny waynes music better. i hate his newest album, though.

ColdGin
12-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Johnny Lang by far, his playing is a lot more personal, and subsequently, original.

Kenny Wayne drowned himself in the hype of the business. But he's still got plenty of years to redeem and find his own light.

djrue211
12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I would pick Joe Bonamassa over both, but of the two i would have to say KWS. and yes he did come out with a new blues album/DVD called 10 Days Out: Blues From The Blackroads in which he went around and played with guys like Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, Hubert Sumlin and others. It is nice because he doesn't focus on himself with the songs, he lets the real blues masters take their stage.

gopherthegreat
12-10-2007, 07:44 PM
I would pick Joe Bonamassa over both, but of the two i would have to say KWS. and yes he did come out with a new blues album/DVD called 10 Days Out: Blues From The Blackroads in which he went around and played with guys like Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, Hubert Sumlin and others. It is nice because he doesn't focus on himself with the songs, he lets the real blues masters take their stage.
same here. i love him.

Born2Fun
12-13-2007, 06:01 PM
kws is the better guitar player.
but i absolutely love jonny langs gospel album.

Agreed!

BluesRules
12-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Personally neither, I think they're everything that's wrong with a lot of so-called 'modern blues' and make horrible, tasteless music

i think you like other men