drummer+amp=trouble

PDA

View Full Version : drummer+amp=trouble

SiLvEr_StRiNgZ
03-22-2006, 10:14 PM
ok ok im really pissed off at my drummer right now. heres the story....we have a talent show coming up in our auditorium/cafeteria (yes, theres a stage in my schools caf *rolls eyes*) infront of 150-200 people. our drummer says that he wont be heard so he decided to mic his drumset and power it with two 750 watt amp\speakers. the guy at the store told him to just hit the damn things harder but he demands to be loud...now that my 30W practise amp is rendered useless ,,,the question is.. should i rent a half stack to compete with the guy or is there another solution??

AsianPirate
03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
stab him in the face- he's an idiot

bandgeek
03-22-2006, 10:18 PM
give your drummer a swift kick to knock some sense into him. You don't need to mic drums in a high school cafeteria. If he insists to be micd, and you can't find a replacement drummer, then mic your amp with his pa.

mrFood
03-22-2006, 10:19 PM
WHAT a moron. Try your best to discourage those damn amps---if your 'cafetorium' is anything like the one at my school, it shouldn't be a problem.

TheElusiveSheep
03-22-2006, 10:20 PM
o.o i wasn't aware of this??!!! ( im playing with him )

SiLvEr_StRiNgZ
03-22-2006, 10:21 PM
yes sheep, i think we should try and talk some sense into him

dedossangrantes
03-22-2006, 10:21 PM
you shouldn´t compete, just enough to fill the room, otherwise with excesive power you will sound awfull.
you should use the drums without amplification for a small auditorium, ask people who already played there. Or just change your drummer, seems he want to show off.

Vomitorator
03-22-2006, 10:23 PM
YOU CANT COMPETE WITH 750 WATTS! Its impossible.

all i know is when my dad played in bands his bassist took his pa system when the band broke up. my dad sawed his p bass in two and put it back in the cas and sent it to the bottom of his pool with a cynder block. I suggest you take a simmilar approach!

TELL HIM TO READ THIS THREAD!!!!!!! HEY IDIOT WHOS READING THIS... YOU ARE RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psychodelia
03-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Unless your caf's acoustics are terrible, your drummer should be heard fine. Whenever my band or the jazz band plays in our school's auditorium we never mic the drums, it just isn't necessary.

Is there some way to play in the room ahead of time to figure this out... shouldn't there be a rehearsal or something?

SiLvEr_StRiNgZ
03-22-2006, 10:27 PM
we've played in the room for a christmas concert and everyone said the sound of the drums and guitar were splendid. so yea i KNOW that mics are unnessessary but the drummer doesnt

Vomitorator
03-22-2006, 10:35 PM
ii'm gunna kick him in the throat

psychodelia
03-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah I know you knew lol... well I dunno, your drummer seems a little dense. You'll have to convince him one way or another.

SiLvEr_StRiNgZ
03-22-2006, 10:47 PM
lol yeah i think he knows its pointless, he probably just wants to look like a bigshot with 2 massive speakers hooked into a mixer(honestly, i could see this show ending up with the schools circuit breaker cutting off all the power cause of energy hes gonna consume. but oohhhh well once he sees that it was a big mistake to mic an instrument thats naturally loud he will give me the credit for being right. thanks for the advice!

cokesodanotdrug
03-23-2006, 01:44 AM
that's overkill and a half. If he wants to be heard over the 30w practice amp, that's how to do it. that's also a good way to NOT win a talent show, true talent involves the drummer being able to play louder or softer on his own without the use of amp. He obviously desplays no talent this way *or intelligence*

Your friendly UG drummer,
Cokesodanotdrug

Dutch_Apples
03-23-2006, 02:16 AM
For that many people, the only thing he should mic if needed is the kick drum and snare. Maybe a hit-hat. 750 Watts is WAY too much for anyone for that many people.

TheElusiveSheep
03-23-2006, 04:12 PM
..*sigh*

Dan Steinman
03-24-2006, 06:01 AM
You have got to be freaking kidding me. The drummer in the 30-piece basketball pep band at my high school, playing in front of a full crowd, was still loud as hell. I had to push my 30 watt amp to compete with him unmiked.

cokesodanotdrug
03-24-2006, 08:03 AM
You have got to be freaking kidding me. The drummer in the 30-piece basketball pep band at my high school, playing in front of a full crowd, was still loud as hell. I had to push my 30 watt amp to compete with him unmiked.
Thus proving threadstarter has a dumb drummer :D

ouchies
03-24-2006, 08:08 AM
lol he sounds like he wants to show off.

You should show him this thread

SiLvEr_StRiNgZ
03-24-2006, 04:13 PM
lol im gonna print screen and stuff the paper in the dudes locker....but its too late cause the show is tonight. *bangs head on desk*

EDIT: luckily i rented a 40 watt tube wich should help me out a little more

roast
03-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Good luck man, kick the **** out of him, i feel your anger bro....

leaping badger
03-24-2006, 04:47 PM
i feel sorry for the audience if the drummer goes ahead with it :/

cokesodanotdrug
03-24-2006, 07:32 PM
i feel sorry for the audience if the drummer goes ahead with it :/
they won't hear your empathy

Scourge441
03-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Why the hell is the threadstarter playing a show with a 30W practice amp? He'd be lucky to be heard over the drummer anyway, whether or not the drummer is micing his drums.

splice
03-25-2006, 12:16 AM
hahahahahaha

its sorta like a spinal tap thing

RainMustFall
03-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I wonder how it went.

SiLvEr_StRiNgZ
03-25-2006, 02:02 PM
I wonder how it went.

he never turned up the speaker therefore his volume was only slightly higher and we were able to find an equal balance in volumes. i think it was pretty awesome overall. sucks for him cause he wasted money on renting things he didnt need

di4gram
03-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Tell him to do a push-up once in awhile and he won't need a bunch of fancy **** to get his sound loud.

It's my opinion that a good musician should be able to play without a power source, with the exception of bass guitarists (for obvious reasons) and electric guitarists (though they should be able to play acoustic just as easily). Obviously once you get to any sort of audience size over 10 or 20 people, this is no longer possible, but if you're sitting in my living room with an acoustic guitar and a drumset, you should be able to make magic happen.