State Radio

PDA

View Full Version : State Radio

CapoThis
03-22-2006, 10:30 PM
If u havent already listened to them give em a go. State Radio is former Dispatch member Chad Urmstrong's new band. The new album Us Against the Crown is awsome. Just want to know how everyone else feels about them cause i kno i love em.

thegreatindoors
03-25-2006, 12:26 AM
cant find their cd. is it as good as dispatch?

gutterman
11-07-2006, 05:49 PM
State Radio is amazing. I've seen them live about 4 times, about 3 of them were good long trips. They put on the most amazing live show I've seen. A lot of people have arguments over Dispatch and State Radio, who's better, etc. etc. The way I see it, Dispatch carries a lot less political views. State Radio is a lot harder, more rock, but also more reggae. Dispatch touched both those areas, but Chad definitly introduced the Ska/Reggae feel on the Us Against the Crown album. By no means classify the band by the genres I mentioned. It's COMPLETELY WORTH THE LISTEN.

OzarkMDaredevil
03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
State Radio is the epotomy of greatness, badass new album.

I need State Radio tabs that aren't complete barre chords, like the ones from onefowlswoop, 'cause those don't have the "lead guitar" and solos and stuff.

I like Dispatch to, they're pretty awesome to.

Year of the Crow is one of the best albums by anyone ever

jiminizzle
03-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I love state radio. Year of the crow is awesome as is us against the crown.

sydbarrettsaves
03-08-2008, 12:34 AM
i thought we already had a thread on these guys.
anyways i will restate my position.
they are cheesy as hell but decent live.
i'm not sure who i would rather admit to liking
n*sync or state radio.
it's a tough call...

Yiggity Yins
03-11-2008, 02:54 PM
i thought we already had a thread on these guys.
anyways i will restate my position.
they are cheesy as hell but decent live.
i'm not sure who i would rather admit to liking
n*sync or state radio.
it's a tough call...

Sorry but not really. You probably haven't listened to them enough. They don't sing about love or relationship stuff they talk about politics most of the time. They try and take a subject that isn't personal with people and make it personal. They are absolutely excellent musicians, I just saw them a few weeks ago at Lulu's in State College. Chuck Fay is an amazing bassist, Chetro's singing speaks for itself, his guitarwork is brilliant he does a lot of stuff to make it sound like more than a three person band. They all have an amazing sense of rythm but MadDog the drummer is really outstanding, he's really good at creating a climax in the song. Their lyrics are not deep, they could be a little obvious I guess but comparing them to N*Sync is ignorant (who I actually use to listen to a lot when I was younger). They talk about politics but a lot of their lyrics most people (probably including you) would not understand if you didn't go look it up (which is part of their objective with their lyrics, making world issues a personal matter). They were amazing live though, I went early and I was front row and their was so much energy it was ridiculous

uhh_me?
03-11-2008, 04:23 PM
i have avoided listening to them since i feel like they have the same following as guster on college campuses. this gives me the impression that they aren't that good, but for some reason college kids love them.

Yiggity Yins
03-11-2008, 07:10 PM
i have avoided listening to them since i feel like they have the same following as guster on college campuses. this gives me the impression that they aren't that good, but for some reason college kids love them.

Definately true, kinda annoyed by that a bit. It is a little too much of the "college kid" band. They definately aren't the best music I've ever listened to so don't take me as making them out to be gods but they are above average and not all that well known despite how good they are.

sydbarrettsaves
03-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Sorry but not really. You probably haven't listened to them enough. They don't sing about love or relationship stuff they talk about politics most of the time. They try and take a subject that isn't personal with people and make it personal. They are absolutely excellent musicians, I just saw them a few weeks ago at Lulu's in State College. Chuck Fay is an amazing bassist, Chetro's singing speaks for itself, his guitarwork is brilliant he does a lot of stuff to make it sound like more than a three person band. They all have an amazing sense of rythm but MadDog the drummer is really outstanding, he's really good at creating a climax in the song. Their lyrics are not deep, they could be a little obvious I guess but comparing them to N*Sync is ignorant (who I actually use to listen to a lot when I was younger). They talk about politics but a lot of their lyrics most people (probably including you) would not understand if you didn't go look it up (which is part of their objective with their lyrics, making world issues a personal matter). They were amazing live though, I went early and I was front row and their was so much energy it was ridiculous

just cause they go on and on about politics doesn't mean they're not cheesy, that's actually part of the reason why i find them so obnoxious. also, i'm sure nsync shows have ridiculous amounts of energy in the front row too.

passing judgement over a difference of opinion is show of willed ignorance. just because i disagree with your position, doesn't mean you can impugn my intelligence. maybe you could practice some restraint and attempt to have an open mind when objections arise.

UtBDan
03-12-2008, 01:37 PM
new album us against the crown? new album year of the crow.

Us against teh crown was better, but everytime I listen to State radio I feel like its a half-complete dispatch song. Its an emotional let down. Good for what they are, but just... Diet Dispatch to me.

Yiggity Yins
03-12-2008, 03:12 PM
just cause they go on and on about politics doesn't mean they're not cheesy, that's actually part of the reason why i find them so obnoxious. also, i'm sure nsync shows have ridiculous amounts of energy in the front row too.

passing judgement over a difference of opinion is show of willed ignorance. just because i disagree with your position, doesn't mean you can impugn my intelligence. maybe you could practice some restraint and attempt to have an open mind when objections arise.

Lol actually I've been in the second row of an N*Sync concert and no it doesn't have ridiculous amount of energy, absolutely nothing compared to State Radio. A lot of their lyrics are not cheesy because you have to pretty much look them up if you want to understand them and thats what they're trying to do. You probably wouldn't have guessed Camilo was about a soldier who was going to be sent to Iraq then filed to be a conscientious objector but he got denied so he went AWOL then he was put in jail for it. Or how would you know a song called Omar Bay is about a hobo who is a Vietnam vet, he was discharged for refusing to fight who has recently gained enough motivation to try and become a priest. Stop making ignorant comments when you really don't know ****.

sydbarrettsaves
03-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Lol actually I've been in the second row of an N*Sync concert and no it doesn't have ridiculous amount of energy, absolutely nothing compared to State Radio. A lot of their lyrics are not cheesy because you have to pretty much look them up if you want to understand them and thats what they're trying to do. You probably wouldn't have guessed Camilo was about a soldier who was going to be sent to Iraq then filed to be a conscientious objector but he got denied so he went AWOL then he was put in jail for it. Or how would you know a song called Omar Bay is about a hobo who is a Vietnam vet, he was discharged for refusing to fight who has recently gained enough motivation to try and become a priest. Stop making ignorant comments when you really don't know ****.

i don't care what their personal backgrounds entail, because that doesn't change the quality of their music. camilo could fly around the world in a paper bag and it wouldn't help them sound better. they suck, nuff said.

kevink2
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
they're a good band. not anything super spectacular. i thought us against the crown was better than year of the crow, but then again i also think that dispatch is way better than any of their solo work.

_stalemate_
03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I personally love them. Some of their songs are hit or miss but if you love reggae-punk-pop fusion then they're perfect. I saw them open for RX Bandits in summer of 2006 and it was breathtaking watching them, really. They didn't outplay the Bandits of course but I went to see them again on my birthday that October and again that March. I'm seeing them at Bonnaroo and Wakarusa this summer.. I'm stoked :)

Still haven't heard Year Of The Crow, my friend told me it's more laid back and less bouncy than Us Against The Crown..any opinions on it?

kevink2
03-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I personally love them. Some of their songs are hit or miss but if you love reggae-punk-pop fusion then they're perfect. I saw them open for RX Bandits in summer of 2006 and it was breathtaking watching them, really. They didn't outplay the Bandits of course but I went to see them again on my birthday that October and again that March. I'm seeing them at Bonnaroo and Wakarusa this summer.. I'm stoked :)

Still haven't heard Year Of The Crow, my friend told me it's more laid back and less bouncy than Us Against The Crown..any opinions on it?

listen to gang of thieves, that's the first song that got me listening to year of the crow.

Yiggity Yins
03-13-2008, 06:31 PM
i don't care what their personal backgrounds entail, because that doesn't change the quality of their music. camilo could fly around the world in a paper bag and it wouldn't help them sound better. they suck, nuff said.

You haven't said anything to back up any of what you are saying, why are they bad? Give me reasons...you really aren't making any sense, it seems like you are trying to make me angry rather than say that you think this band is bad. You're a joke and you really don't know what you're talking about.

I do think Dispatch is better than State Radio, they both are made up of amazing musicians and Chad is absolutely brilliant but I just like Dispatch's style over State Radio's.

OzarkMDaredevil
03-17-2008, 06:50 PM
First of all, stop using N Sync and State Radio in the same sentence, N Sync is a pieceof**** and State Radio is badass.

second of all, stop posting the picture of Chuck(I think that's his name) with a huge ****.......That's just gay.

Finally, if you don't like State Radio, then get your dumbnonpiliticalunderstandingass off this thread. No need to be a piece of **** and insult peoples music..........How 'bout I listen to you play, than call you gay and say you suck.....

Bunch a' dicks.

Yiggity Yins
03-17-2008, 09:23 PM
First of all, stop using N Sync and State Radio in the same sentence, N Sync is a pieceof**** and State Radio is badass.

second of all, stop posting the picture of Chuck(I think that's his name) with a huge ****.......That's just gay.

Finally, if you don't like State Radio, then get your dumbnonpiliticalunderstandingass off this thread. No need to be a piece of **** and insult peoples music..........How 'bout I listen to you play, than call you gay and say you suck.....

Bunch a' dicks.

Don't worry about it the kid wasn't actually saying anything that made sense
Lets actually talk about state radio if anyone wants to talk about them.

My favorite songs right now are probably Barn Storming, Omar Bay, and(or) the Diner Song. I love the Diner Song live its so great.

sydbarrettsaves
03-18-2008, 02:18 AM
it's obvious to me that you have no sense of diplomacy or even a vague understanding of what it means to agree to disagree. you think you're so enlightened because you listen to your little protest songs, but what you fail to see is your own lack of self-awareness and the hypocrisy that ensues. anyone can read the paper, watch the news, or decipher political innuendo, but it takes a wise individual to discuss conflicting points of view without attacking or demeaning their opposition. if you're so against the war, why do you display the "if you're not with us you're against us" ethics? you're exactly what you detest, and unfortunately you'll never fully grasp this concept because you're too self-righteous and hostile to appreciate any form of elucidation.

Andrewbiles
03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Grow up you lot. It was just an opinion, in the same way you dislike NSync, sydbarrettsaves dislikes State Radio. Enough, move on, removed that picture.

Yiggity Yins
03-18-2008, 09:52 PM
it's obvious to me that you have no sense of diplomacy or even a vague understanding of what it means to agree to disagree. you think you're so enlightened because you listen to your little protest songs, but what you fail to see is your own lack of self-awareness and the hypocrisy that ensues. anyone can read the paper, watch the news, or decipher political innuendo, but it takes a wise individual to discuss conflicting points of view without attacking or demeaning their opposition. if you're so against the war, why do you display the "if you're not with us you're against us" ethics? you're exactly what you detest, and unfortunately you'll never fully grasp this concept because you're too self-righteous and hostile to appreciate any form of elucidation.

No you are completely misunderstanding me, it's that you don't back up ANYTHING you've said...How are they bad song writers? If you are gonna say they suck please give examples. And secondly, yah everyone can read the newspapers but if you seriously think the members of State Radio haven't invested A LOT of time into reading, learning, and understanding politics and world issues then you are ignorant and you don't know what you're talking about. They do not have the "if you're not with us you're against us" policy. They preach peace and love in their songs and they try and bring attention to problems (by sometimes telling stories of just a few who are examples of a bigger picture ex: Omar Bay, Camilo or they focus on the bigger picture ex: Fall of the American Empire, Sudan) that need to be solved if we want to get closer to achieving peace and love.

And I'm not trying to go with the "if you're not with us you're against us" policy, I just want you to back up your opinion...which you have yet to do.

it's obvious to me that you have no sense of diplomacy or even a vague understanding of what it means to agree to disagree

Did you think of that when you posted that picture?

Yiggity Yins
03-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Grow up you lot. It was just an opinion, in the same way you dislike NSync, sydbarrettsaves dislikes State Radio. Enough, move on, removed that picture.

And I never said I disliked NSync, I used to love them but they aren't very deep. They were a pop boy band so seriously comparing them to State Radio seriously doesn't make a lot of sense. Not to mention they focus of completely different topics than State Radio

The fact that you said NSync has as much energy as State Radio just shows that you're willing to make a judgement when you don't know something. I don't know all what else you've done that before but when you don't know something then don't say it and act like you do. Maybe when you said State Radio's lyrics are horrible you were doing the same thing...idk I do have a good knowledge of State Radio's lyrics and it kinda seems that way...you don't know what you're talking about but you still say something to make it seem like you do.