Opening With A Cover

PDA

View Full Version : Opening With A Cover

Embryodead
03-23-2006, 12:07 AM
My band will be playing our first show april 3rd, the lead guitarist and myself have played well over a dozen shows together and we've never opened with a cover. We're using an Iced Earth Instrumental right into one of our originals. I'm just curious if this is a good or bad idea, the two songs mesh perfectly so it's hard to describe.

our set list would look like this:

Iced Earth- 1776
Original
Megadeth - A Tout Le Monde
Original
Megadeth - Dread And The Fugitive Mind
Original

The reason for the megadeth covers is because our lead guitarist/vocalist always gets the "you look like dave" compliment at all of our previous shows.

Will_Minus
03-23-2006, 12:13 AM
My band will be playing our first show april 3rd, the lead guitarist and myself have played well over a dozen shows together and we've never opened with a cover. We're using an Iced Earth Instrumental right into one of our originals. I'm just curious if this is a good or bad idea, the two songs mesh perfectly so it's hard to describe.

our set list would look like this:

Iced Earth- 1776
Original
Megadeth - A Tout Le Monde
Original
Megadeth - Dread And The Fugitive Mind
Original

The reason for the megadeth covers is because our lead guitarist/vocalist always gets the "you look like dave" compliment at all of our previous shows.

Compliment?

Personally, I wouldn't play two covers by the same group. On the other hand, it IS Megadeth... Quite the prediciment...

Embryodead
03-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Compliment?

Personally, I wouldn't play two covers by the same group. On the other hand, it IS Megadeth... Quite the prediciment...

the only reason for this is because we had another original but we feel that if we rush the song to completion it will not be up to snuff with the rest of our songs.

www.myspace.com/fourcemajeure

Baba O'Riley
03-25-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong about opening with a cover. On the one hand it can help you a lot if people recognize it. But since this is an instrumental I doubt that will be the case. I personally think you should only play covers that are well known. I also agree with Will_Mingus that two covers by the same band are too much for one show. However, obviously both of those suggestions are a little late in the game for this gig. Maybe they can help you in the future.

I think that instead of worrying about if it's a cover or original, worry about how well you guys play it. Ideally you want to close the show with your strongest song and start with your second strongest song. You need to grab the audience right from the start and you need a strong song to do that.

Gabuydachk
03-26-2006, 10:18 PM
you guys sound good

anyway, there's nothing wrong about opening with a cover as long as it's well done