What Now?

PDA

View Full Version : What Now?

Dutch_Apples
03-23-2006, 03:03 AM
My band has now been together for about 4 months and in that time we have played with the "biggest" bands in our rural area, have just completed an unreleased demo (releasing it in about 3 weeks), and have been featured on public access & radio. My question is "what now?"

I have brought up the idea of moving to a larger community, but some band members were against it for personal reasons. Our drummer called about 20 different venues outside of our area for summer gig dates a few days ago; but most were not approachable or would not accept "bands from our area." We plan to send more press kits out once we have the demo ready for duplication. But what can we do in the meantime? We have 3 gigs lined up and all of them are in April. Not many other bands in our area are playing any more gigs than we are since the bar scene is "cover only" (We have debated this) and the nearest cities are 3-4 hours away which could mean a financial strain when it comes to serious touring this summer.

What should we do in the meantime? We have a marketing plan for the demo. but I'm unsure if we should rely soley on that.

opf
03-23-2006, 05:44 AM
The only thing that I can really think of for you to do is to take over the spot of "biggest" band in your area. Because playing with them may be good it would be better if you were the ones headlining or the ones with all the fans.

d_man2k
03-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Change your band name. It's cheesy.

Inertiaaa
03-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Change your band name. It's cheesy.

Amen to that.

Freunleven
03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Play some of the "cover only" bars, but slip an original tune or two into the setlist. If the audience likes it, maybe use two or three originals in the set next show.

Just don't overdo it and irritate the management.

:satan:

Dutch_Apples
03-24-2006, 12:00 AM
I won't lie, I hate the band name too. Our singer came up with it and I told him I didn't like it when it first came up. Some people think we are a christian band!

I'm going try some of the advice given though.

Mr.Smith
03-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Try to promote your band.Try to go on the radio/public access and promote your new single to people who watch.When you're not on the radio and if that station takes requests call in and request.The more people that hear your song the more people that will talk about your band.Eventually new fans will come and you'll have to go to a bigger venue,they'll realise your popularity over there and book you there.

Hope it helps, :D