Being the least proficient in the band...

PDA

View Full Version : Being the least proficient in the band...

Caressing Death
03-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Here's my story: I've joined (we started would be more correct) a band with some guys I know.
I always got on with them but now we're getting closer. They're extremely easy to get along with and all like the same music (my music goes much broader and I have genres I prefer but I'm happy with what we're doing), metal.
These guys are great at their instruments...
The bassist previously played guitar for a couple of years and is now in the top two bassists in my area.
The other guitarst has been playing the guitar for years now but only became passionate about it two years ago but is still kickass, especially with riffs.
The drummer is the best drummer in my area and can hit those double-kick pedals faster than anyone I've seen before.
Our goal is to do some covers but mainly originals. Our main influence is Slayer and we play a couple of their songs, Raining Blood and Seasons In The Abyss and we'll be learning more.
The problem is that I can't play them properly...
On Raining Blood, I always feel I'm not galloping fast enough and I do the chromatics too slow.
On Seasons In The Abyss, I can't get the main riff to sound like it does.
I'm a pretty good player for the time I've been playing (9 months) but I just can't get them right. The fastest things I can play are just me improvising... The best covers I can do are probably Stairway, the first lick from Under The Influence except using the Locrian instead if that counts but I'm at the level of about the Master Of Puppets solo or maybe Godzilla by BOC.
I don't know what to do to help me learn these songs... I have 'til friday week but it's going to be hard to improve.
I also need to right more kickass metal riffs... I gotta be coming up with them all the time (think Iommi) so that I can stay at the top of my game and just overall, be more creative...
Ok, now that you've read that, is there any advice you can help me to
1. Build dexterity in my picking hand
2. Become much more creative
3. Ready for a band
4. Help me be able to master a song rather than just learn it
Thank you for your time.

If anybody else wants to post questions or something related to becoming a more proficient band member then fire ahead.

Cheers!

jof1029
03-23-2006, 04:43 PM
instead of stuggleing to master a song at speed, slow it down. master it slower than normal, then bring it up to speed after you know it. it is hard to learn songs at speed and master them. if you build up the muscle memeory first, then incorporate the speed, you will improve faster. also, play with a metronome to get your timing. if something is sounding off, then play with a metronome because the problem may not be your playing of the notes, but your timing.

Baba O'Riley
03-23-2006, 06:46 PM
On Seasons In The Abyss, I can't get the main riff to sound like it does.
But is that because you don't have the right notes or is it just a speed problem?

I don't know what to do to help me learn these songs... I have 'til friday week but it's going to be hard to improve.

I'm a bit confused here. Which songs? The two Slayer ones? Why do you need to learn them by Friday? Band members say so?

I also need to right more kickass metal riffs... I gotta be coming up with them all the time (think Iommi) so that I can stay at the top of my game and just overall, be more creative...
I don't think you "need" to write them. As long as one member of the band is writing you're fine. But wanting to write and writing are both good things.

Ok, now that you've read that, is there any advice you can help me to
1. Build dexterity in my picking hand
Do lots of alternate picking and string skipping exercises. Here (http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/alternate.html) are some.
2. Become much more creative
Listen to as much music as you can. Listen to all styles. Keep learning as much as you can too. Such as new chords. Experiment with things. Ex. alternate tunings, using a capo, etc.
4. Help me be able to master a song rather than just learn it
Like jof1029 said, slow it down first then play it up to speed.

My opinion:
First of all RELAX! It sounds like you're stressed out and you've put a lot of pressure on yourself. Don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you're doing well. :)

So what should you do?

I think you should focus on increasing your technical skill first. It seems to me that lack of technical skill is your biggest problem right now. You're having trouble playing those songs and you need to correct them. The rest of songs you guys are going to play are probably going to be around the same level of difficulty (or harder) so it's a good idea to get them under your belt. Keep learning songs, practice picking exercises and practice your scales. When you're confident with your skill then move on to riff writing.

Quintessence153
03-23-2006, 08:25 PM
When you work on songs, work on them in pieces, a few measures at a time. This helps you memorize the song better and lays a foundation for muscle memory to build on.