Advantages and Disadvantages of having a 5 piece band

PDA

View Full Version : Advantages and Disadvantages of having a 5 piece band

chrisarrow
03-24-2006, 05:25 AM
Anyone know of disadvantages of having such a big band?
I know that it will allow more choice on songs to play and ideas.
Setout
Drummer
Guitarist
2nd Guitarist
Vocalist
Bassist

Mr. Bubble
03-24-2006, 05:31 AM
well, i dont have much experience, but this is what i think:

1. If you were in it for money, then you would have to split it into smaller amounts, rather than , say, having three members in a band.

2. for some music you might not need nor want that many musicians, and 95% of the time you would have to find some kind of job for the musicians not playing.

they're not very good, but some of the things i could come up with

sadistic_monkey
03-24-2006, 05:40 AM
There are some awesome songs that have one guitarist. Having the same thing being played twice could sound like crap or - if you made another guitar part - it'd have to fit well enough to improve the song.

chrisarrow
03-24-2006, 05:44 AM
The problem would be solved if I could sing or the other guitarist, then there would be no need for a vocalist, and if it's a song with only one guitar doesnt really matter cause the other guitarist could sing and not just be standing there doing nothing

Mr. Bubble
03-24-2006, 05:52 AM
well, it sort of depends on what music you are playing..... not very much..... but if you are into full blown solos all the time or soft music that requires a simple guitar part and vocalists?

rpguitardude
03-24-2006, 05:53 AM
being part of a five-piece band myself I really think its fun
the advantages are:

1. the more the merrier right ?
2. 2 guitarists are better than one
3. when you rent studios or pay for the taxi you can split the bill so it saves you money

there are too disadvantages though

1. sometimes you don't always get along
2. it takes a long time for 2 guitarists too develop familliarity with each other
3. since there are 5 members you split your earnings and you get 20%

Wolfhound
03-24-2006, 06:02 AM
When there are 5 members you don't get 20%.
If you are on the usual contract your manager gets 20% , then you split the 80% 5 ways to get 16% each. Your manager will be paid more than you even though you are the one playing the shows and writing the music.

U2 have 4 members and so the manager and the band get 20% each. Bono complains about this when he's drunk, but no one listens to him.

Mr. Bubble
03-24-2006, 06:03 AM
hehehe....

RainMustFall
03-24-2006, 07:39 AM
I have a 10 piece band, and we made it into the Battle of the Bands...

ouchies
03-24-2006, 08:11 AM
I have a 10 piece band, and we made it into the Battle of the Bands...

how does that work?

Dutch_Apples
03-24-2006, 08:21 AM
If you are that worried about money and a manager, you can always negotiate later. I am in a 6 piece band, but I hold 30% control since I do most manager like duties and book the most gigs. If a 5 piece is best for your style, I say go for it.

skydogzoso1986
03-24-2006, 09:08 AM
well, i'm in that situation too. me and a pianist were looking for a bass player and a drummer, but the bassplayer knew a guy too that could sing, so we got hooked with him too. now, when we will have a drummer, we'll be in a 5 piece band, which is too much imo. 3 or 4 is a much better number. i don't really want to kick out the singer, because he is a friend of our bassist and otherwise we don't really have a singer, because none of us has experience with singing. so the disadvantages are: difficult to get along all the time, difficult to meet, it could be 3 against 2 which is quite bad for the 2, you have to split the earnings,... so not many advantages rest :)

psychodelia
03-24-2006, 04:00 PM
how does that work?

My guess is they have a horn section or a Santana rhythm section. Probably the former. But it's only a guess.

Five piece bands can certainly work fine, especially if all the parts of the band do a fine job. If all the parts are not quite up though, you might want to consider cutting someone. Probably either a guitarist who isn't that good or the lead singer if one of you can sing. At the very least, try to get yourself, the other guitarist and the singer to diversify your musical skills. Learn backing vocals, teach the vocalist a little guitar, maybe the guitarists can learn keyboards... if you are a little more flexible, then you will be better able to get the most out of having five members, instead of having songs where someone's effort is wasted.

r a c e t h e
03-24-2006, 10:43 PM
i have a five piece band too.

guitar/lead vocals
guitar/back vocals
bass
snyth
drums

RainMustFall
03-25-2006, 11:11 AM
how does that work?

Yep, psychodelia, we have a brass section (and a synth). I was upset about having so many people at first, but it's pretty cool, actually.

Baba O'Riley
03-25-2006, 03:03 PM
With the set up you're talking about...

Advantages:
-bigger overall sound
-when one guitarist solos there isn't the sound gap that three (or four) piece bands have
-interesting guitar possibilities (ex. separate rhythm and lead parts, harmonized solos, etc.)
-more possible people to write songs or write songs with
-splitting costs for bills and other expenses will be cheaper

Disadvantages:
-harder to get along
-harder for everyone to be at practice
-hard to find two guitarists that can work well together (but it sounds like that's not a problem for you)
-less money at gigs
The problem would be solved if I could sing or the other guitarist, then there would be no need for a vocalist, and if it's a song with only one guitar doesnt really matter cause the other guitarist could sing and not just be standing there doing nothing

If there was a song with just one guitar part you could both play the same part or whoever was singing could not play.

If none of you can sing then you need to find a singer. Five piece bands can work. There have been many successful five piece bands. Ex. Aerosmith, Judas Priest, etc.

socialtool
03-25-2006, 03:27 PM
If you are playing a song that si a cover with only one guitar part, if one of you is good enough you can add texture to the song, with just some single note back ground.

When I was in a band, we did a cover of Weezer "Say it Ain't So" and rather than do the chords during the verse, which is what the other guitarist was doing, I did some bluesy pentatonic riffs just to add some textrure and a little different mood to the song.

The disadvantage can come in with so many people if one perosn has bad rhythm it can be pretty apparent. REally it's just about making it work, there are advantages and disadvantages of having a band any size. Just make sure everyone is a team player and relatively at the same level of musicianship, because if you have one person who is a lot better than everyone else, it can cause tension, or it's worse if one person is way behind everyone else.