Songs for a band with little experience

PDA

View Full Version : Songs for a band with little experience

Dardarian
03-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone who took the time to read this, ;)

A little while ago me and a couple of friends decided to form a band, just for fun. We've got 2 guitarists, a bassguitarist, and a drummer. We're into rock, punk, indie and metal music. Could anyone recommend us some songs that are fun to play and not too difficult? To give you an impression of our level: Last time we played Amazed by Offspring, wich went pretty good. Thanks in advance!

P.S: Preferably songs that use standard tuning. We don't own multiple guitars and it's a b*tch to retune inbetween songs.

P.P.S Sorry if this has been asked before, search didn't give me any good results.

kill 'em pretty
03-24-2006, 01:04 PM
green day?

our band rules
03-24-2006, 01:04 PM
paranoid by black sabbth
house of the rising sun
highway to hell by ac/dc

there are loads

wingedgopher
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
early clash

NewWaves
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
To get a clean record if you guys make it anywhere.... Don't sound like another boy band with a guitar. Other than that... ROCK ON!

Also with the tuning thing use a capo.... I've read a lot about using multiple tunnings with just using a capo real quick. Also if your in a break while preforming and stuff just tune up quick there or buy those tuners that sit on the headstock and tune the strings for you.

BiggestToolFan
03-24-2006, 01:10 PM
knocking on heavans door
any nirvana song
sugar were going down "easy as hell"

kerrang
03-24-2006, 01:10 PM
anything by the ramones. easy, easy stuff

SilentDeftone
03-24-2006, 02:29 PM
*moved*

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300914

-SD :dance:

STPGuitar311
03-25-2006, 03:40 AM
Tuning isn't that hard, and depending on the length of your set, you're probably going to need to retune anyway at some point.

Mr. Bubble
03-25-2006, 03:48 AM
When I made my Band, the first songs we started playing were:

1. Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
2. Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day

We also started mucking around with our own 12-bar blues song.... and then a bit more green day, now we just jam a bit and make our own songs.

Dardarian
03-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks for al the replies so far. About the tuning thing: retuning back to the standard tuning when the strings go slightly out of tune after a few songs isn't a problem, but if we tune from standard tuning to drop D halfway during a set the string detunes in a few seconds 'cause it's used to being an E. Mostly when I see bands perform they just switch guitars when they need a diffrent tuning.

Mattieoak
03-25-2006, 08:27 AM
depends on how the guitar is too, me and the other guitarist in my band switch between Standard and Drop d all the times through sets and it still stays there.

You've gotta watch room temperature as well and also tuning a guitar backstage and then when its infront of bright lights that are hot, your tuning with go tits up. Tune up on stage, leave your guitar there then fine tune when your about to play, id always invest in a decent tuner anyway like a Boss Tu-2, never any problems with a boss. then you can check inbetween songs. what strings do you use and what gauge are they??

NewWaves
03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Also, spend some time and strecth your strings. Every time I use to do the Van Halen extreme drop down and kick up it would go out of tune in an instant. I learned how to stretch the strings and it happens about every 50th time i do any bends or use the bar. You could also practice before you go on stage. Just sit somewhere and tune your bass E down to D real quick and start playing for a little then quick tune it back up. Think of it more as bein in the core and ur drilling, panic yourself that way when you get up on stage it comes natural.

Dardarian
03-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the advice. At the moment this band is just for fun and we're not good enough to be performing any time soon. But who knows what the future will bring! :)

STPGuitar311
03-26-2006, 01:59 AM
Mostly when I see bands perform they just switch guitars when they need a diffrent tuning.

That's because most bands have tons of guitars and techs to tune their stuff for them.

Dardarian
03-26-2006, 09:07 AM
That's because most bands have tons of guitars and techs to tune their stuff for them.

Yeah that's my point exactly :cool:

Jimbo999
03-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Green Day
Blink 182
Nirvana
Chili Peppers
Velvet Revolver
The Darkness

Go for it
Jimbo

roast
03-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Green Day:American Idiot
Green Day:Holiday
Nirvana:Smells like teen spirit

Just 4 chord songs with 1 string solos will do.

Gabuydachk
03-30-2006, 06:35 PM
play a jam song like Iron Man take turns soloing

smitherson
03-30-2006, 09:16 PM
American Idiot - Green Day
Longview(depending on how good your bassist is)- Green Day
Any Ramones song
Smells Like Teen Spirit

Sid Watts
04-01-2006, 12:12 AM
It's not even funny how easy Green Day songs are...

dain84
04-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi everyone who took the time to read this, ;)

A little while ago me and a couple of friends decided to form a band, just for fun. We've got 2 guitarists, a bassguitarist, and a drummer. We're into rock, punk, indie and metal music. Could anyone recommend us some songs that are fun to play and not too difficult? To give you an impression of our level: Last time we played Amazed by Offspring, wich went pretty good. Thanks in advance!

You played Amazed? That's awesome! I love how Dexter sounds like Kurt Cobain in the slow "yeah-uh" parts.

dain84
04-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Can't Repeat- The Offspring

ridiculously easy song to play (easiest offspring song by far), and it still kicks ass.

devilrash
04-01-2006, 10:52 PM
killing in the name of by rage against the machine
any greenday is easy
paranoid by black sabath
iron man by black sabath
anything by black sabath is pretty easy

JamieB
04-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Fox by Millencolin is easy to play, and also an awesome song.

Like someone said, almost anything by Green Day is easy as.

I've never actually heard Amazed, so I dunno exactly how easy you're talking *shrug*

But like I said, Fox is easy and an awesome song, so go listen :D and play :D

GuitarFlabby
04-03-2006, 05:29 AM
blur - song 2
cream - sunshine of your love

green day is easy too

thesumoftwo
04-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Thanks for al the replies so far. About the tuning thing: retuning back to the standard tuning when the strings go slightly out of tune after a few songs isn't a problem, but if we tune from standard tuning to drop D halfway during a set the string detunes in a few seconds 'cause it's used to being an E. Mostly when I see bands perform they just switch guitars when they need a diffrent tuning.

A bit late i know but the way my band do it is we tune the E-string while listening to the D at the same time and use the octave. Alternatively, jsut buy a cheap stage floor pedal tuner.

anyway, if your looking for easy songs, look at a lot of Nirvana and Greenday and maybe even Simple Plan, its a nice easy way to start.

PowPowPower
04-04-2006, 03:27 AM
green day?

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

PowPowPower
04-04-2006, 03:29 AM
unless is spose the better old school greenday, but if your not good enough then dont play in something so soon