Compromise with genres

PDA

View Full Version : Compromise with genres

mangablade
03-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey, my schools having a talent show come up soon, the auditions are next week.

in technical skills, we'd be good enough i think (i know i would), but thats not the problem

our guitarist wants to audition and probably play a Blink cover for the show. He knows how i feel about pop punk, emo, and the sort. He tells me "we need a catchy song everyone knows". i disagree a bit. i think if he's keen on a catchy song, we can pick from a lot of songs, but i think if we played our own stuff it would be a lot more fun for all of us, and they could be hearing us, not hearing a band copy another band.

so i wouldnt mind a cover, but i'd prefer an original for sure. what options do i have for compromise?

Baba O'Riley
03-24-2006, 11:19 PM
I need to know some more information first. I'm a bit confused here.

Do you have any originals written already?
Do you have any songs (originals or covers) ready to perform?

mangablade
03-25-2006, 12:22 AM
yes to both

i just agreed to learn a blink cover because the band wanted a really easy song to start with.

i have a problem with performing a genre i dislike, but less of a problem just learning the song

Baba O'Riley
03-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Well for starters I wouldn't worry too much about the song choice for an audition because it's just an audition it's not the show. All you need to do is just show that you guys are good enough to play.

Your guitarist is right that having a catchy song that everyone knows is a good idea. But it's really more of a good idea for the actual show because since people will know it you should get good crowd response.

I think that if you haven't played your originals in front of this crowd before I would save them for the show.

I think the most important thing is that whatever song you pick to audition should be strong but not your strongest. If you audition your strongest song then you don't really have anything left for the show.

Now for a compromise I would suggest that you both picked a cover that you both liked, assuming you didn't want to give away any originals but I think timewise that's unrealistic. But you could just pick an original you both like to audition as well.
i have a problem with performing a genre i dislike, but less of a problem just learning the song
Firstly I think it's a mistake to automatically dislike one genre of music. There are good and bad bands in every genre.

I've had to play songs that I hated in my band but I did them well. Proof of how well I did them is that people thought I liked those bands even though I hated them. So how is this accomplished? Be a professional. Just because you don't like a song that doesn't mean you can't play it well. Be a professional and play it great. Remember being a band is about compromising. Sometimes you have to play songs you don't like to keep the other members happy. However, if you guys don't play this Blink song well then what I said doesn't apply and you should scrap it all together.

I hope I helped you.

:cheers:

mangablade
03-26-2006, 02:52 AM
^ yeah for the most part, just i think the auditioned song has to be one of the ones we play,

and he wants to play it for the show.

Gabuydachk
03-26-2006, 12:21 PM
how many in you band? you could vote on it

EZLN libertad
04-03-2006, 12:20 AM
go progressive.
it's the new sound

you can be heavy, light, emo, and metal all in one song

maXterbat0r
04-05-2006, 08:35 PM
well, you can funk up a Blink cover(i'm assuming you're a bassist) because from what i've heard, hoppus isn't the best. or try some flanger-slap-tap-bow-slider stuff but that might make the crowd confused.

psychodelia
04-05-2006, 08:43 PM
I agree with Baba. Be a professional about it. And compromise might help in the future. There will be times when you want a song and other band members might not.

I'm pretty sure you can get the crowd pumped with something other than Blink though, I mean there's lots of more recent hits. Green Day or Weezer for Pop-Punk or Pop-Rock stuff. You guys might want to look into other options if all you need is a "catchy" song.