Jack White and The Raconteurs

PDA

View Full Version : Jack White and The Raconteurs

mr.jack12
03-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Jack White started a new band called The Raconteurs consisting of Jack Lawrence on bass, Brendan Benson on guitar, Patrick Keeler on drums and Jack White on guitar and vocals. theyre pretty good. id say its progress for jack white. is this the end of the white stripes or what?

dougiecrystals
03-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I've been wanting to see how the music sounds like..

I read an article on the band somewhere, from what I got, it's just a side-project..

Andrewbiles
03-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Yeah, just a side project like Doug said. I don't think they're going to last overly long either, from the sounds of things I've read Bendan is starting to realise that he's being over-shadowed by Jack White and is getting kind of jealous.

Glen_Hansard
03-25-2006, 07:21 AM
I saw one of their songs on MTV2(I think). It was good, I liked it.

Jack will probably go back to Meg soon.

0josh0
03-25-2006, 07:50 AM
i lurveee these guys. its realy good, but i think it soudns way similar to the stripes, well more erawlier stuff. hmmm

Burpin'Worm
03-25-2006, 09:55 AM
I like them. Although I like The White Stripes I wouldn't be bothered if he didn't go back to that, it's Jack White I like more than The White Stripes, Meg doesn't really add anything.

agreth_3rd
03-25-2006, 10:01 AM
I've only watched the 'steady, as she goes' video. pretty good, nothing amazing. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing some more.

Tenacious_dex
03-25-2006, 11:31 AM
www.theraconteurs.com has a couple of songs and the video for Steady a she goes.
I like them, but prefer the White Stripes. And they don't sound similar. I was going to see them in Liverpool but couldn't get transport. :( I doubt they'll stay together for long, but it gives Jack a break from the Stripes, and i think it's just a side project too. But they're still good.
I like Brendan Benson's solo work, and think he will work well with Jack.
Jack Lawrence and Patrick shouldn't be ignored though. Without them there wouldn't be a band. I'm a fan of the Greenhornes too.

Gideon Ravenor
03-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I like them they're quite cool say a song on MTV2

RobbieMac2002
03-25-2006, 12:27 PM
they have an awesome website

agreth_3rd
03-26-2006, 03:57 PM
they have an awesome website
yeah I second that haha

Paint
03-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I like them. Although I like The White Stripes I wouldn't be bothered if he didn't go back to that, it's Jack White I like more than The White Stripes, Meg doesn't really add anything.

she adds the drum beat

bobjewell87
03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
that 'steady as she goes' song = tune

Burpin'Worm
03-27-2006, 12:56 PM
she adds the drum beat
Lol, awkward so-n-so. What I mean is that she isn't an amazing drummer or songwriter or singer. He could probably make another band or get another drummer and you wouldn't be thinking "yeah, but it's not as good as when Meg was drumming, she's what he's missing". I don't think anyway.

mr.jack12
03-27-2006, 10:13 PM
good. hes not leaving.

DoverHockeyPunk
03-27-2006, 10:41 PM
great band

so are the stripes and hes definetely not leaving that

radio_schizo
03-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Lol, awkward so-n-so. What I mean is that she isn't an amazing drummer or songwriter or singer. He could probably make another band or get another drummer and you wouldn't be thinking "yeah, but it's not as good as when Meg was drumming, she's what he's missing". I don't think anyway.
But there's something about her that makes up the White Stripes.
She contributes alot to their quirky nature. I think if they had an amazing drummer then it wouldn't be the same. Her simplistic drumming goes with the simple, raw sound of their music.

p.s. I'm liking what I hear of The Raconteurs ;) Does anyone know when the album is due for release?

n-ocentcriminal
03-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Even though it is a "side project," I am sure he's not in a hurry to get back in the stripes.

Jack_White455
03-29-2006, 07:56 AM
But there's something about her that makes up the White Stripes.
She contributes alot to their quirky nature. I think if they had an amazing drummer then it wouldn't be the same. Her simplistic drumming goes with the simple, raw sound of their music.

p.s. I'm liking what I hear of The Raconteurs ;) Does anyone know when the album is due for release?

I think The Raconteurs are awesome. I love Steady As She Goes, and the video is pretty cool. I agree with what you said about Meg. The album is out May 15 as far as I know of.

YAY_FOR_PIE
03-29-2006, 10:37 AM
I like them alot. :cheers:

Burpin'Worm
04-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Anybody see them play Steady As She Goes live last night? It was on BBC3 on some show called Guerilla Gig. I'm starting to really like that song.

fronkpies
04-01-2006, 10:40 AM
i missed there gig at the carling academy by 2 days :sad:

yer i like them..cant say ive heard much though.

Bmm386
04-02-2006, 04:48 PM
It's just a side project, if you didn't catch the article a few days ago.

They've got some pretty catchy songs.

rush_r30_2004
04-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Jack White is still with the White Stripes. He should, the racontuers arent going to make it to far. i think they'll put 2 or 3 albums befor they give up.

Mr. Grunge
04-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Oh yeah! I'm excited to hear that, I think it will probably be alot different from white stripes though, But i think it will be just as good. No, I don't think it will be the end of the white stripes, every artist have a spin off band eventually. Its nothing to worry about.

rush_r30_2004
04-03-2006, 06:51 PM
yeah. the racontuers arent going to make it long anyways. i just hope jack white doesnt get burnt out being mainly a one man show for the white stripes.

Geek_Aus
04-06-2006, 08:01 AM
I loved the two songs on the site, but my favourite was definitely Steady As She Goes. I don't reckon The Raconteurs will be together for long; it just doesn't seem to be one of those bands that'll last. I'm so glad Jack isn't leaving the Stripes though.

Mr. Grunge
04-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey I just listened to it and it sounds great. Accually i'm only listening to steady as she goes right now but so far it sounds awsome. I'm waiting for this song to finish, so I can listen to the other song....Alright, starting download on Store bought bones...
So far awsome....sounds really cool, the guitar sounds real nice, Its kind of funky bluesy. Very Nice, I think i'll buy the album once it comes out.

Monkeygone2hvn
04-06-2006, 06:43 PM
im a fan of brendon benson and i love the white stripes i practically grew up listening to their s/t cd...

i've only heard the song steady as she goes and thats an extremely catchy song , i like it but i wait to pass judgment on this band until i can hear more from them...

Danielle202
04-16-2006, 05:50 AM
i think the ra****uers are pretty gud but i dont think jack will stay with them becuz he has more creative control in the white stripes. i like the stripes way better

Abe
04-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Meh, their first song is catchy, but not much more.

joni.one.eye
04-16-2006, 04:40 PM
I read in an interview that he's already got a few songs lined up for the white stripes which he'll get recorded whenever he gets a spare 5 minutes.

Tenacious_dex
04-16-2006, 05:31 PM
^I read that too. I hope the next Stripes album comes out at latest early next year.
I'm getting excited now about the Raconteurs album. It's coming out in a month!

Dom_H
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I've heard a few songs. Not as good as The White Stripes in my opinion, just not as original

Goon
04-18-2006, 08:55 AM
They're like a less interesting version of Eagles of Death Metal for me though I've only heard the 3 singles. I'll still buy the album.

Today I borrowed the new Loretta Lynn album. :D

SonOfOsiris
04-18-2006, 12:05 PM
I love The Raconteurs, does anyone know when their album is coming out in the UK or if its out now?

Burpin'Worm
04-18-2006, 12:32 PM
^May 15th I think.

SonOfOsiris
04-18-2006, 02:58 PM
^May 15th I think.

oHH 5 days after my birthday!

TechnicolorBoy
04-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Jack White started a new band called The Raconteurs consisting of Jack Lawrence on bass, Brendan Benson on guitar, Patrick Keeler on drums and Jack White on guitar and vocals. theyre pretty good. id say its progress for jack white. is this the end of the white stripes or what?

No, it seems to be a side project for Jack. They sound VERY good. Better than the stripes, im afriad to say. Itll be exciting to see how they do.

Burpin'Worm
04-19-2006, 11:10 AM
^I'm still prefering some of The White Stripes songs to what I've heard of The Raconteurs. They do sound good though.

cliff_em_all
04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Even though it is a "side project," I am sure he's not in a hurry to get back in the stripes.

True dat.

I think the racouneters? are quite good and if the tickets are ok priced, i might see em soon.

onlyonehere
04-21-2006, 06:19 AM
No, it seems to be a side project for Jack. They sound VERY good. Better than the stripes, im afriad to say. Itll be exciting to see how they do.

To be fair most things sound better than the White Stripes. The White Stripes are very mediocre and don't deserve half the attention they get.

The Raconteurs sound much much better.

Geek_Aus
04-23-2006, 09:51 AM
^
Not true. The white stripes are far more original then the raconteurs. From what i read somewhere, apparently Jack said that the stripes are taking a break and he's putting all his effort into the raconterus, and it's not just a side project. But the stripes aren't over, thank god.

punkyallahphont
04-25-2006, 02:31 PM
The Raconteurs, i havnt heard music like that in years! now thats propper rock!

onlyonehere
04-25-2006, 03:40 PM
^
Not true. The white stripes are far more original then the raconteurs. From what i read somewhere, apparently Jack said that the stripes are taking a break and he's putting all his effort into the raconterus, and it's not just a side project. But the stripes aren't over, thank god.

Well it is in my opinion :rolleyes:

the Stripes don't do anything original. Elephant was the most overhyped album ever. Awful

dominusdominus
04-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Well it is in my opinion :rolleyes:

the Stripes don't do anything original. Elephant was the most overhyped album ever. Awful

thats true it was overplayed aswel! loved it at first now i cant bare it

Tony_26
04-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Pretty cool. I like "steady as she goes"

Geek_Aus
05-08-2006, 09:23 AM
thats true it was overplayed aswel! loved it at first now i cant bare it

Well you can't blame the stripes for the radio overplaying their songs. I personally think you're right....but all the same that's no reason not to like the album.

WhiteStripesIII
05-08-2006, 04:53 PM

No, Its not the end of the white stripes. He planning another album for them next year.

WhiteStripesIII
05-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Jack White Is God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burpin'Worm
05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
That'd explain the incest.

Geek_Aus
05-23-2006, 05:55 AM
That'd explain the incest.

They're not related.

I just need some money, so then i can buy the album.

But then I've got a whole heap of other albums I want too.

Hmmmmmmmmm......................decisions, decisions.

Mainstream hasn't go ahold of them yet, have they?
My god I hope they don't mainstream them.
I guess it's only a matter of time.

Tenacious_dex
05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
^The album got to number 2 in the British charts. And I've heard them played on the radio a few times.

joni.one.eye
05-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Mainstream hasn't go ahold of them yet, have they?
My god I hope they don't mainstream them.
I guess it's only a matter of time.

God wouldn't that just be the worst thing ever. :rolleyes:
I mean imagine living in a world where such a great band gets some recognition and popularity.

Geek_Aus
05-24-2006, 02:29 AM
^I didn't mean it like that.
If they're mainstream, all the teenyboppers and such will be into them, and the radios will overplay their songs, and it'll be annoying as s**t, which i don't want to happen. Of course they deserve recognition. A band can have recognition and popularity without being mainstream.

Goon
05-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Together is a way great song.
Definitely my favourite on the album.

The Raconteurs album is probably my favourite this year so far!

edit: I would think this thread belongs in Modern rock... :confused:

pommegrenade
05-24-2006, 05:42 AM
ok, so he dumped meg white or is she the drummer still?

Burpin'Worm
05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
^She's not in The Raconteurs, the drummer from the Greenhornes, Patrick Keeler, is I think. Meg'll still play in The White Stripes though.

They're not related.
Yeah I know.

Tenacious_dex
05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah Patrick Keeler plays drums.

Together is a great song. And so is Broken Boy Soldiers. My two favourite off the album.

pommegrenade
05-26-2006, 05:12 AM
thats dogg

socs
05-27-2006, 02:27 PM
The whole album is pretty cool... Although if you're not a Jack White fan, this isn't going to make you one. It's very similar to the White Stripes, just not quite as stripped down musically.

As far as the Stripes go... that'll just be something he does whenever he feels like it. The White Stripes are pretty much a Jack White solo project that enlists the help of his ex-wife/sister/lover/friend/whatever they pretend to be at the time. He has stated in interviews that the Stripes won't be around forever because there's only so much you can do with 2 people.

Room On Fire
05-27-2006, 06:38 PM
jack white has said it billion times, the raconteurs are not a side project.

read the article in spin, he seems kinda pissed that people keep referring to it as a side project

Wilber
05-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I've got $20 and i'm gonna blow it on a CD. is the Raconteurs new album awesome and worth buying, or is the review on here just a few peoples opinions?

Geek_Aus
05-28-2006, 05:29 AM
I think it's going to be hard for them, because they're probably going to be forever labelled 'Jack White's new band.'

MEmmett
05-30-2006, 01:48 PM
In my opinion, The Raconteurs are mediocre at best. Its all this same kind of retro-rock blur that passes by pretty soon.

The White Stripes were a nice novelty, mainly because of the ever changing media influenced Jack/Meg relationship.

radiofight202
05-31-2006, 12:55 AM
looking forward to seeing them in july

cagnius
05-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Fantastic band with a solid album.

Their live performances were slightly average seeing as both Brendan and Jack are pretty poor vocally live. Still a great record though.

volta949
06-01-2006, 03:26 PM
I saw the video and bought the album almost immediatly, and I can say its amazing stuff. Together is easily the best song on the album.

galateastilston
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I think both Brendan Benson and Jack white were making better music pre-raconteurs. Brendan Benson I can say with more certainty, as I was never really into the white stripes.

Godzilla1969
06-02-2006, 07:03 PM
I think they're pretty good. I got their CD about two weeks ago and it's pretty impressive.

Geek_Aus
06-16-2006, 09:12 AM
I got their album yesterday. I like it, but I like the stripes more. My fave songs would have to be Broken Boy Soldier, Steady as she goes and Blue Veins.

Who sings on Broken Boy Soldier? I'm not quite sure if it's jack or brendan. Anyone know? I'm pretty sure it's jack, but i read somewhere that the songs that jack sings are only steady as she goes and blue veins.

Tenacious_dex
06-16-2006, 11:46 AM
^I'm pretty sure it's Jack. He sings on more songs than Steady as she goes, and Blue veins: I think he sings Level, and Broken Boy Soldiers, so that's four overall. And he's joint lead on Together too.
I think the songs that Jack sings are better then Benson's songs.

airlinemusic
06-16-2006, 08:53 PM
So I am checking out UG.

Do not have cd yet, the band is way above the rock norm.

Zukev
06-16-2006, 09:18 PM
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Geek_Aus
06-18-2006, 05:28 AM
^I'm pretty sure it's Jack. He sings on more songs than Steady as she goes, and Blue veins: I think he sings Level, and Broken Boy Soldiers, so that's four overall. And he's joint lead on Together too.
I think the songs that Jack sings are better then Benson's songs.

Yeah, I just realised how stupid my post was, cos right afterwards I listening to the album and Level came on, and I was like wait a minute. agreed, i like the jack songs more.

GeetarsAreRock
06-18-2006, 05:38 AM
The song "Broken Boy Soldier" is incredible. It makes 60s psychedelia sound new and fresh.

Tenacious_dex
06-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, the one song of theirs I've heard makes me really wish it was more than a side project.

IT IS NOT A SIDE PROJECT! :peace:

Goon
06-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Great album, but one would think with so much creative energy that the album would be coming close to double in lenght then what it is.

I'm prolly just complaining cos I can't get enough of this band's music though, ha!

Tenacious_dex
06-21-2006, 03:18 PM
^I was hoping for something longer too. Lets hope the next album is, to make up for this one.

http://uk.esperanto.mtvi.com/player.jhtml?id=5580
Live performance and interview with the band. They look good live, I wanna see them! In fact, who has seen them and how good did you think they were?

airlinemusic
09-14-2006, 10:18 PM
no tabs yet on many sites

I came back to UG for tab
on Hold on Tight by Jeff Lynne by the ELO (http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/efgh/elo/holdontight.htm)

Lucky I got the lyrics it on a uk site, guess that will get shut down now.

Yeah I was watching My Name Is Earl and Hold On Tight came on ....

Just played RAC and WS today.
Good on a rainy day.

soad_malakian
09-17-2006, 01:09 AM
I have the album and it is pretty good....

Caustic
09-17-2006, 08:27 AM
The album is okay. But my god, Jack White is absolutely awful live.

soundgarden19
05-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I bought the new album after hearing Solute your Solutions on the radio, and in my opinion it's the best album of the year, and Jack White is one of the best guitarists I've heard in a while.

bradulator
05-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Good album although there are a few songs that aren't up to par.

MoonWise
05-03-2008, 05:37 AM
id say its progress for jack white. is this the end of the white stripes or what?
Well, it IS something to do FOR A CHANGE, indeedy... but TWS are not finished, and that's great. not only because they're great, but also cuz Racs are worse.

ze monsta
05-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Way to bump a thread...There's a thread about them in Modern Rock if you are interested. :)