completed or not?

PDA

View Full Version : completed or not?

rathmusbass
03-25-2006, 04:44 AM
alright, so the guys all got together yesterday ( all three of us ) and we finally had the time to " finish " Death of a Virtuoso.

I say " finish " for a few reasons. we have 5 parts, 3 have a lot of variation, in the song.

we were playing it for a friend but we never actually finished it before, and the order of the song so far went

part A - Part B - Part C - Part D - Part E - Part B - Part E - Part D

but when we were playing it we all somehow decided together that we were gonna add Part C at the end, so the order went

part A - Part B - Part C - Part D - Part E - Part B - Part E - Part D - Part C

and the last note with the final cymbal hit sounded just right so we all just stopped, and our friend ( who was also timing us ) said it was cool, and we got it to about 4 minutes 30 seconds.

The thing is, the ending sounded so good the way we just naturally did it that we could either leave it, or we could totally change the vibe and continue without it sounding or feeling akward ( ive been jamming the song at home and recording it with added parts and without added parts, either way it sounds good ) so do you guys think we should just let the " Virtuoso " R.I.P. or should we awaken him for a few more moments and see if we can build it up even more?

=-p =-)

wangmaster
03-25-2006, 05:00 AM
what sort of band is it: metal (sounds it), rock, punk?!

KENZI
03-25-2006, 01:30 PM
from the way you put it you should just leave it alone from modification and continue to play it for the 4 mins 30 way.

Freunleven
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Just go with what feels best.

Is there any chance that you could post both versions for us to listen to, so we could make a better analysis?

:satan:

Baba O'Riley
03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
^:cheers:

The only other thing I have to say is that people generally don't like really long songs. You need to find the right length where it's still good but it hasn't been dragged on for too long.

I'm also under the impression that this is an instrumental song. If so then you'll need to especially careful that it keeps people's interest.

rathmusbass
03-26-2006, 04:21 AM
eh ty all for the advice, and no it isnt instrumental.. we kept it at 4:12 ( no solo or vocals yet ), and i would have you guys hear it but we are not hosting our stuff online until we can get a better mic for recording. i took your advice though and we are using the new groove for a rock/metal song later on.

also the parts are as follows
part A - Hardcore
Part B - Metalcore
Part C - Nu-Metalish
Part D - Thrash Metal
Part E -Thrash Metal

and the lyrics we wrote are a bit of a mix from slayer-ish type thrash and just gorey death metal stuff.

and the next song we are gonna work on already has 4 riffs that we decided to recycle. It is gonna start out clean and chilled, a bit dark, and it will slowly progress into something heavy, kind of like an opeth-ish feel without the opeth sound.

again, ty vm for the opinions and stuff, it really allowed things to flow very smoothly.