My band died...what next?

PDA

View Full Version : My band died...what next?

rspirate
03-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Well, I was in a band last summer. We sucked (our talent and "chemistry" was good, but the other guitarist who also was the singer was an overcontrolling piece of work. He wrote all of the songs, including all of the guitar parts, and wouldn't turn his volume down when we told him that he should so that we didn't hurt our ears permanantley. When we jammed it was cool, but all of our songs were based on simple powerchord parts, sucky lyrics and singing, and WAY to much distortion/volume + a horrible tone). Then he quite. But that was right about when school started so, rather than binding together, the rest of the band sort of fell apart.

So here's the deal. I might or might not have a bassist and drummer who are willing to play in a band with me. Either way, I want to know if I should look for another guitarist, or go the Zeppelin route and stick to one guitar. I think I am a fairly good player for how long I've played (2 years), but I don't think I'm great, or anywhere close to it. I have attempted several times to make songs, and while I have come up with some riffs, I can't really ever make a complete song. I have, and still am, learning/ed music theory. I got a book on learning rock keyboard (I used to play classical piano, so its coming along okay). I play in Jazz Band at school. I play at church every week. So I get a lot of experiance playing with people on a weekly basis, but never have to write my own stuff. For that reason I am planning on playing several covers first if I get a band together.

But I am really starting to doubt if I ever will get this band I'm dreaming of. So, if I can't get the old members back together, where should I search for new people? The hardest to find for me are vocalists, keyboardist (have yet to find one...), and bassist.

Sorry for the extreme length. My band was my life. We sometimes would meet 5 days in one week. I really miss having a band.

Refixer
03-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Put up some posters around town, get some ads in your local guitar store (well my store at least lets us do that)

Mike_rocka_boy
03-26-2006, 12:19 AM
yeah what refixer said, where I learn guitar, theres a notice board where people just put up notices about wanting/needing a band/band member. Just stick at it, bands break apart. Just set the bar higher and higher each time your band breaks up. And as for the songs, the songs aren't gonna write themselves. Even if you do suck you gotta get in there and just have a go. Most times your first song won't be any good and you'll bin it, but it took me about 4 songs to get better and better and write a song that the band actually liked. My first one was a peice of ****.
So yeah just get in there and try your best. No ones gonna see your mistakes at this level, so don't be emmbarrased about anything.

Rock agnst Bush
03-26-2006, 12:20 AM
ummm... look for ppl at school.. and put up posters at school on the chalk boards in yer classes. my teachers let me do that for advertising a gig that my band had comin up.

A Lost Soul
yea that ****in sucks
don't try and force a band though.. that never works, you want to have people you can work with
I hope things go well though

GreenXX
you can always go to the forums and ask around there in the Classifieds or w/e thats what i did to find a singer.

danilo19
I think doing covers with people helps you work together. You get to see how each other plays, learns, and reacts. I f you have the bassist and drummer try to get with them ASAP. You could maybe ask the bassist if he/she can sing or you can try your self. Also, the poster idea will probably work for a keyboardist but it wont help for a singer unless a person that sees that sign knows someone but you could try. I would also see if you could put signs around your school.

Ranger01
03-26-2006, 12:23 AM
damn man too bad you arnt 2 hours south. or youd have a keyboardist and a Vocalist/ guitarist. But anyway try that try your schools paper/ announcements, try the local paper. also try posting ads just randomly around town. (Trying to think Duluth) the Maritime Museum, clubs, other local hangouts.

Freunleven
03-26-2006, 01:19 AM
You could also put together a demo of your own playing. Download some backing tracks, or even do a simple mix of synth drums and your guitar. Hand the demo out to . . . . well, everyone. You're bound to find a band in need of a good guitar player eventually.

:satan:

rspirate
03-26-2006, 10:01 AM
wow! thanks for all the responses! I'm hesitant to post ads around town just because I'm not that confident of my own ability/skill. If you read my entire post (way too long, I understand if you didn't) then you would have seen that I don't consider myself to be a great guitarist, or even a good one.

I can play the damn thing, and know some theory (pentatonic scale, major/minor scales, modes of major [in progress of learning], blues scale [pentatonic + flat 5], lots of chords [I don't use open forms much. I know major, minor, m7,M7, dominant 7, 9ths and 13ths. I got most of these from a chord chart for Jazz band, or figured them out on my own using bar chords], and I know basic techniques like slides, bends, hammer ons/pullofs, and harmonics [I can do the ones with the thumb sticking out sometimes but not consistantly]. I don't know things like tapping, shredding, and all the harder techniques out there)

Baba O'Riley
03-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Either way, I want to know if I should look for another guitarist, or go the Zeppelin route and stick to one guitar. I think I am a fairly good player for how long I've played (2 years), but I don't think I'm great, or anywhere close to it.
If you're interested in playing with another guitarist and you get along well with one go for it. On the other hand you say you're good and seem to have a fair amount of playing experience so you would probably be fine on your own too. Basically it comes down to confidence and what you personally want in a band.
I have attempted several times to make songs, and while I have come up with some riffs, I can't really ever make a complete song.
That's totally fine. For starters songwriting is tough. You just need to find someone who can write songs with you. Keep in mind the riff is often half the song. Think about AC/DC (I looked in your profile) their songs are all based around the guitar riff.
I have, and still am, learning/ed music theory. I got a book on learning rock keyboard (I used to play classical piano, so its coming along okay).
That's good. Most rock players know very little or no theory.
But I am really starting to doubt if I ever will get this band I'm dreaming of. So, if I can't get the old members back together, where should I search for new people? The hardest to find for me are vocalists, keyboardist (have yet to find one...), and bassist.
Don't get discouraged. Look around your school, put ads in your local music store and maybe put something in the classified of a guitar magazine. I will say though keyboardists are generally very hard to find.
I don't know things like tapping, shredding, and all the harder techniques out there)
That's alright you're playing rock music (that's what I gathered from your profile). It's not essential to know things like tapping or sweep picking for rock.

TimmyHendriix
03-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Im kinda haveing the same problem i think my band is kinda splitting apart and i cant find any good musicians in my school. I might put up some signs for auditions.

Dan Steinman
03-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Good for you, man, I can tell you are a really serious musician and you're committed to improving your abilities by learning theory. Don't be afraid to advertise, it is very hard to find musicians as serious as you (I sure wish I could find some!). You are inexperienced, but keep up the good work, and if you can get the rest of your band back, try out being a single guitarist, it forces you to improve your technique.

r a c e t h e
04-02-2006, 02:42 PM
dude man just go for it. never give up your dream.

jamiecallaghan
04-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, if your band was ''your life'', as you so touchingly put it, you should just go out and do all you can to get the best motherf***in band you can. Seriously, determination and commitment is just as important as musical ability.

Peaceful Rocker
04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I've still only been in one serious band, ever since we broke up i've just been loading up for material... now that I have a good few hours of original material im trying to get a band together and add instruments to it.. thats just the route I took, I still jam with people regularly.. but honestly if it isn't looking like you guys are going to be able to get along wonderfully and you both are looking for the same thing in your music don't start a band with just anybody.. make sure it will work

gtrfrk123
04-10-2006, 09:04 PM
If there are any bass guitar or keyboard sites as populaur as this or something like that go on those forums. That is how I found a drummer.