Multiple band syndrome.

PDA

View Full Version : Multiple band syndrome.

Freunleven
03-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Has it ever happened to anyone here that, they know a lot of musicians, who all like to play, but can't necessarily get their acts together? So, you end up jamming with a handful of groups, oftentimes crossing paths with the same guys over and over, and never finding the right mix?

I'm actually getting pretty annoyed by everyone's lack of commitment. With the exception of one guy (a bassist), it's almost impossible to keep everyone on track. Here's how my current circle of musicians (and drummers - ha!) breaks down.

Group #1:
Me - Rhythm Guitar
Ben - Lead Guitar/Vocals
Dewey - Bass
Joel - Keyboard
Chris - Drums

Group #2:
Me - The Only Guitar
Dewey - Bass/Vocals
Ben - Drums

Group #3:
Me - Lead Guitar
Justin - Rhythm Guitar/Vocals
Dewey - Bass/Vocals
Chris - Drums

Group #4:
Chris - Guitar/Vocals
Me - Bass
Ben - Drums

Group #5:
Head - Guitar (wants to play lead, doesn't understand scales)
Me - Guitar
[no one] - Bass
Brennan - Drums (owns a real nice Roland electric kit)

Group #6:
Me - Guitar/Bass/Vocals
My PC - Drums/MIDI Synth

Okay, so that last one is just when I'm at home with nothing else to do. But seriously, it's impossible to get any one group to practice with any regularity or consistency. I'm not so much asking for advice here, as I am venting my frustration. Not being able to find people to jam with is a problem, but having enough to choose from and none of them being seriously committed is worse, I think.

:satan:

Rob the Tipton
03-26-2006, 01:50 AM
Not being able to find people to jam with is a problem, but having enough to choose from and none of them being seriously committed is worse, I think.

What you need to do is really find some guys that are serious about being in a band. Having one or two bands is good, but five is a little crazy.

Find some real people who want to actually play and write with you instead of just saying "we have people in our band but we never practice", you need some dudes who are always willing to practice and commit to your ideas and colaborations with others.

Hope that helps you situation.

twittch
03-26-2006, 01:52 AM
pick the best musicians and make 1 group, and talk to them and tell them they need to be committed in order to be successful, that usually works

Baba O'Riley
03-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I think you should do something similar to what twitch said. First I would talk to the best musicians from those bands and see if they are committed. Then if none of them are move on to the lesser musicians in those bands if you see a future with them.

If no one from any of those bands are committed work on finding other musicians. Like Rob the Tipton said, you need to find some serious people. Obviously you're not going to get anywhere by being in five "bands". You need serious people.

mr. cool
03-27-2006, 12:37 AM
your problem may also come from being a lead guitarist in 3 different bands right away splititing the creative potental and even overall potential any given band in 3rds

i would just play the bass in one and then follow the pick and choose use your devoted basses, find a drummer and singer and go to town

using the band in which you play bass for some fun on the side

Ubbe
04-02-2006, 04:58 PM
pick the best musicians and make 1 group, and talk to them and tell them they need to be committed in order to be successful, that usually works

Then he'll have seven bands! Yay! :D
jk

The first time i picked upp a bass, everyone was all like..

Omg join our extremely advanced death metal band!
plx join our band

So, now I'm in lets see.. 4 more or less active bands :p

Freunleven
04-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Not that it's important to anyone else, but I've finally managed to get it down to just two groups (yay!). And, hey, I didn't need to start a new thread to tell ya'll about it!

Group #1:
Guitars - Myself & Ben-jammin
Bass - Big Daddy Zeke
Drums - Sisterpher (acoustic set)

Group #2:
Guitar - Myself & a rotating support cast
Bass - Big Daddy Zeke
Drums - Brennan (electric set)

In group #1, I play mostly rhythm; whereas in group #2, I am the lead player. Most of the time, actually, I'm the only guitarist. Works just fine for me.

In addition to that, I'm helping a coupel other groups that have begun to form from this mess to put together their demos. Busy, busy.

BullonParade
04-19-2006, 03:48 PM
too many bands would be a pain in the arse. im in 2 and even thats causing a slight argument.

imagonaeatu
04-21-2006, 01:25 AM
go with number 6

Nyne
04-21-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm the opposite. I can't find anyone to jam with. (Actually.. I've got 2 guys now)