Performing onstage

PDA

View Full Version : Performing onstage

Jimbo999
03-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I have my school show soon infront of 1'500 people and 50 teachers. I'm really nervous. It's my first gig ever and I'd like some advice on what to do onstage. I'm the only guitarist. So has anyone got any tips on what tricks I can do onstage, how I get everyones attention and stuff. I also have quite a few nerves so I'd also like to know how to combat stage fright.
Thanks for all the help. Jimbo.

Preszombie
03-26-2006, 04:23 PM
always stand on the front of the stage.

ArcherTheVMan
03-26-2006, 04:24 PM
seen as its your first gig just keep focused on getting the job done. after a few gigs when your more used to it then start putting tricks in. its better you doing it right and good without moving much, rather than trying to look cool n ****ing it up.

sjones
03-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I think I can help you here.
First of all, don't worry about any stupid tricks. Just go up there and nail your song. That, my friend, is more important than any kind of tricks or stupid moves you can pull off. You'll get attention by kicking ass on your instrument. Don't be worried about your "stage presence". Don't go up there and flail around off beat as if you were having a seizure like stupid emo kids do. If you want real stage presence, look at Slash or Jimmy Page, or hell, even Synyster Gates, just go up there and nail your part, and be confident about it. Remember this, when you're onstage, YOU'RE THE FARKING MAN!!! Screw everyone else around. You're the star. Be confident about what you're playing, make it look easy, and go up on stage with the attitude that you're ready to kick some ass.

danilo19
03-26-2006, 04:37 PM
my best advice is to watch some guitar players you like stage performance. When players like DIme, Rhoads, Wylde, or Vai play they dont do outrageous **** other than play. THey just slightly move. I reccomend watching Randy Rhoads with Ozzy in their afterhours performance.

heres some videos

http://youtube.com/watch?v=etBqNC2K0Xs&search=randy%20rhoads
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hmY2JinuutA&search=dimebag

Randy doesnt do anything crazy. Dime is what you could be like after your used to being on stage.

imagonaeatu
03-26-2006, 04:37 PM
confidence and nailing your songs is better than any stupid stage antics

GuitarN00b
03-26-2006, 04:38 PM
I think I can help you here.
First of all, don't worry about any stupid tricks. Just go up there and nail your song. That, my friend, is more important than any kind of tricks or stupid moves you can pull off. You'll get attention by kicking ass on your instrument. Don't be worried about your "stage presence". Don't go up there and flail around off beat as if you were having a seizure like stupid emo kids do. If you want real stage presence, look at Slash or Jimmy Page, or hell, even Synyster Gates, just go up there and nail your part, and be confident about it. Remember this, when you're onstage, YOU'RE THE FARKING MAN!!! Screw everyone else around. You're the star. Be confident about what you're playing, make it look easy, and go up on stage with the attitude that you're ready to kick some ass.

that being said, don't grow roots on one part of the stage and go all rigor mortis -

although the singer should be the most flamboyant and command most of the attention, when ppl look over at you, they should see you getting into the music and grooving a bit

no tricks, but don't go for the statue thing - especially if the rest of the band is moving - you'll appear even more still

just try to relax, move a bit (whatever would be natural)

the_man101
03-26-2006, 04:38 PM
you willl get nervous at first, but when yall are in front of the audiance, and start playing it will go away imeadatly, just dont worry about it, and calm, confidense, and relax, just make sure you kno how to play your part from front to back with no problem, and dont worry about impressing any one, just look like your really into it, dont just stand their like you are scared $hitless, but dont be running around all crazy, and that stuff, jut look like your into it alot, and just be confidense

imdwalrus
03-26-2006, 09:59 PM
If you're woried about being nervous, just picture the audience naked. I swear it works. But don't get too into it, otherwise you might be getting a little stiffy when you picture the girls without clothes.

no i'm just kidding.

Gabuydachk
03-26-2006, 10:00 PM
well I guess playing on stage is as much an art as plying music in general

you have to interact with the crowd
this can be done without words, too
for example, say you're shredding like crazy, you can stop on the root or something raise your picking hand in the air
you could make faces while soloing blues
also for shredding, staring people down works well

the audience is key

mr. cool
03-27-2006, 12:33 AM
this being your first gig you can use the nervousness to your advantage as far as improving your stage presence and here is how:

now when people get nervous they tend to move side to side a bit or do a kinda jazz box ( ever seen a shy person give a speech) and while for public speaking thats bad, for playing it just makes it look like your naturally grooving to the beat. so just go up there and dont think about needing to move or not move to much just play and your jitters will kick in and you will shift around without even knowing.

some people will also freeze up or (like myself) start to shake when they get stage fright and that can really **** up your playing so when you go out there

1)dont think about how many people are out there

2) dont think about anybody you know (unless your the kind of person who finds commfort in that, in which case feel more than free to focus on them a bit)

3)dont look at any chicks (you'll feel extra nervous like your trying to play a good piece and get a prom date all at once and you just dont need that)

4) most importantly (and this bit improves your stage presence greatly) look over the crowd. instead of shying away and watching your instrument and looking unsure find like something on the wall like a clock and just focus on that clock your looking up and not getting nervous by looking at the people. if you feel like actually building a little confidence start to glance down at the crowd a bit but never fully look at them or you will certainly break point #3. i like to sweep my vision from left to right and back then up to the clock again.

hopefully that helps you

SlashHammett
03-27-2006, 12:35 PM
chewgum , smoke , drink .

LedZepDudette
03-27-2006, 01:03 PM
If there's anyone you particularly need to impress, for example if it was a battle of the bands or a competition, make eye contact. You interact more with audience. Obviously only do this during a part you can play without looking at your hands :D Good luck!

Jimbo999
03-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Cheers guys. All this advice is really helpful. I'll put it all into practise (maybe not the drinking and smoking, but u no). Thanks for all the help.
Jimbo

Trezticle
03-28-2006, 02:57 AM
practise with the lights out till the song perfect then you can do it without looking at your hands, i guess then you can do some cool **** on stage

Silent_Scream1
03-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Dont accidentaly step or pull out your cable it's FvUCKIN embarrasing i swear

GoodLUck :cheers:

Jimbo999
03-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice thats flooding in. One day I could be as famous as Jimi Hendrix thanks to all your help. You never know but i doubt it cheers.
Jimbo