Michael Romeo

PDA

View Full Version : Michael Romeo

Evil_Empire24-7
03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Any opinions ?

Matt_Malmsteen
03-27-2006, 03:53 PM
I think he's amazing, although to me he sounds alot like Malmsteen with some of the things he does but regardless he is a very good player... I really like Symphony X so yeah, good guitarist.

SlashHammett
03-27-2006, 03:53 PM
amazing... he reminds me of Peter Kay with long hair for some reason

Scorzerci
03-27-2006, 04:06 PM
I really like him, Love Symphony X and I love watching him play. Everything he plays seems so effortless and smooth.

Smokey Amp
03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Heh heh. It's funny you should mention him. I'm listening to The Divine Wings of Tradegy right now! :D

I think Romeo is a really good guitarist, very melodic, but at the same time can shred his fingers off...I also think his tone is awesome, nice and chunky.

Neon Knight
03-27-2006, 04:09 PM
hes nothing special, hes very talented but fairly boring at times.

Smokey Amp
03-27-2006, 04:10 PM
nothing special, hes very talented but fairly boring at times.

And you said that with an Iron Maiden avatar in your profile...

Neon Knight
03-27-2006, 04:13 PM
And you said that with an Iron Maiden avatar in your profile...

did i compare him to anyone, did I ever say that Dave Murry could kick his ass? No, i said that he sometimes bores me, its called an opinion dumbass, learn to respect it.

I do like some of his stuff though, he just dosent click with me.

scheck006
03-27-2006, 04:18 PM
it seems that whenever someone has a classical influence they're labeled as a malsteen clone. I think romeo is 10x more interesting to listen to than malmsteen.

his solos are epic, the one in accolade ii is one of my all time favs

Resiliance
03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Great flair.

Smokey Amp
03-27-2006, 04:31 PM
did i compare him to anyone, did I ever say that Dave Murry could kick his ass? No, i said that he sometimes bores me, its called an opinion dumbass, learn to respect it.

I do like some of his stuff though, he just dosent click with me.

I didn't mean because he's "better" than Dave Murray. I mean Iron Maiden as a group are boring and repetative, that not an opinion, that's fact. C5 D5 & E5, anyone?

I do like Iron Maiden, but I wont tolerate saying another artist is boring when they listen to one of the mosst repetative bands on the planet. I'd respect your opinion if you weren't a hypocrite.

Igorek
03-27-2006, 04:33 PM
He is awsome, his tapping is so fluent and clean...

Neon Knight
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I didn't mean because he's "better" than Dave Murray. I mean Iron Maiden as a group are boring and repetative, that not an opinion, that's fact. C5 D5 & E5, anyone?

I do like Iron Maiden, but I wont tolerate saying another artist is boring when they listen to one of the mosst repetative bands on the planet. I'd respect your opinion if you weren't a hypocrite.

I cant tell you the last time i listened to Maiden, i got bored of them, I get bored of all artists every once and a while and it takes me a few weeks or months to get back into them.

Notice in my post i said he is fairly boring AT TIMES, I'm not always bored with him, infact he has a few songs that i very much like, I just find alot of his other stuff unintresting.

scheck006
03-27-2006, 05:00 PM
can you guys argue about maiden somewhere else?

PooKoo
03-27-2006, 05:00 PM

arent you the hypocrit if your bitching your opinions at him for having opinions? just let it be. We want peace.

canadianshred
03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Michael Romeo=pwnazage

paddyo
03-27-2006, 05:25 PM
He kicks major Bollox if I may say so. His fluidity is on par with the greats easily.

perpetual shred
03-27-2006, 05:43 PM
hes great!! anyone here heard of rhapsody?

PooKoo
03-27-2006, 05:46 PM
yup, havent really got into em though. Any reccomendations, more on the metal side?

shredfan
03-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Really like the guys style (and by that I don't mean his fashion sense :p: ). Great allround shred/metal player- distinctive sound, great technique, licks, tone you name it. Really looking forward to the next Symphony X album.

canadianshred
03-27-2006, 05:55 PM
yes, that's out this year isn't it!?!

perpetual shred
03-27-2006, 05:58 PM
yup, havent really got into em though. Any reccomendations, more on the metal side?

yeah, rhapsody play alot of bull**** but some of their songs are awesome. luca turelli is awesome. statovarious are pretty good. not very heavy though and there singer can go as high as a kite :eek:

markenator
03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
michael romeo is awesome. i dont think he copies malmsteen but he has the same style as malmsteen and he does a lot more legato runs+tapping than yngwie

PooKoo
03-27-2006, 06:10 PM
yeah, rhapsody play alot of bull**** but some of their songs are awesome. luca turelli is awesome. statovarious are pretty good. not very heavy though and there singer can go as high as a kite :eek:

now stratovarious i like, damn theyve got some good ****.

perpetual shred
03-27-2006, 06:15 PM
jens johanssonn is an awesome keyboardist. i forget the name of their guitarist but he's pretty awesome too.

Robbie n strat
03-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Symphony X are my favourite band, and Michael Romeo my favourite guitarist. Personally, I've never thought that he sounded like Malmsteen. In my opinion, Romeo has his own style. Symphony X are a very melodic band, and also because it's progressive you have parts which you're just not expecting and make you think about music in new ways.

mexican_shred
03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
^ agree.

Altough they may use some of the same modes/scales Romeo IMO uses more variation in the modes and styles and techiques.

Great band. Awsome Musicans.

Freepower
03-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Romeo is teh awesome.

Evil_Empire24-7
03-28-2006, 08:01 AM
^u don't show up very much these days , are u working on an album ?

gtgram14
03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
IMO Romeo is a little underrated, just cause someone on occasion uses the harmonic minor scale doesnt make them a malmsteen clone. I think romeo wipes his ass with Yngwie. Like others have said he is a very melodic soloer but christ that guy's fingers are fast. At times though Symphony X's stuff is pretty DT ish. The singer kinda sounds alike as well. The song Awakenings, In my opinion kicks ass, but it could have easily been on a dream theater album.

Evil_Empire24-7
03-28-2006, 12:53 PM
^Michael Romeo is often compared to John Petrucci but i think that romeo beats petrucci in technical terms

Reemster
03-28-2006, 01:00 PM
IMO Romeo is a little underrated, just cause someone on occasion uses the harmonic minor scale doesnt make them a malmsteen clone. I think romeo wipes his ass with Yngwie. Like others have said he is a very melodic soloer but christ that guy's fingers are fast. At times though Symphony X's stuff is pretty DT ish. The singer kinda sounds alike as well. The song Awakenings, In my opinion kicks ass, but it could have easily been on a dream theater album.

I also think that he's an underrated player, but I don't think that Russel Allen kind of sounds like Labrie. Not at all actually...

Anyway, for those who like SX ( or Romeo's playing), here's the first part of a concert they did in Montreal a few years back. Quality is reasonable, and gets better as the concert progresses. It's a strange file name ( taken from a VCD), and if it doesn't open you just have to open it with WMP yourself ( or whatever it is you use).
If people like it I'll post the second half as well.
Enjoy!

http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0CY6SRZ43FFH5053DCJ3ZYN8TT

shredfan
03-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah, it is kind of annoying when people label anyone who uses the harmonic minor scale a Yngwie rip-off. It's not like he invented the scale and patented it for his use only.

gtgram14
03-28-2006, 05:17 PM
^Michael Romeo is often compared to John Petrucci but i think that romeo beats petrucci in technical terms

Agreed, Though I tend to like petrucci's music more, especially his non DT stuff like suspended animation and all the LTE albums, technically i think romeo's a bit more solid. For an example Petrucci doesnt seem to sweep nearly as much, and when he sweeps live its way sloppier than what he records. Romeo from what ive heard is pretty much flawless, all the time. BTW If anyone has some good live symphony x stuff Id love to know where to get it.

Neon Knight
03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Agreed, Though I tend to like petrucci's music more, especially his non DT stuff like suspended animation and all the LTE albums, technically i think romeo's a bit more solid. For an example Petrucci doesnt seem to sweep nearly as much, and when he sweeps live its way sloppier than what he records. Romeo from what ive heard is pretty much flawless, all the time. BTW If anyone has some good live symphony x stuff Id love to know where to get it.

I think petrucci's sloppyness is due to the "buzz" of being on stage, it happens to me to, i get seriously anxious when playing for people and i end up playing sloppier than i usally play.

I think I am going to look into more of his stuff, I havent really given him (MR) much of a second chance.

Reemster
03-28-2006, 06:45 PM
BTW If anyone has some good live symphony x stuff Id love to know where to get it.

I don't have any live albums of theirs ( original or bootleg) but if you're into live footage I suggest you read my previous post, which is two posts above yours ;)

perpetual shred
03-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I think petrucci's sloppyness is due to the "buzz" of being on stage, it happens to me to, i get seriously anxious when playing for people and i end up playing sloppier than i usally play.

I think I am going to look into more of his stuff, I havent really given him (MR) much of a second chance.

i agree, sometime i just play **** anyway like today ive been playin **** we recorded a version of the wicker man (iron maiden) we wern't at our best :mad:

have a gander if ya like

http://shredmaster.dmusic.com/

mingles
03-28-2006, 06:54 PM
he's just a killer guitarist. Awsome style and technique.

canadianshred
04-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Anyone happen to have his instramental CD??

Jut got it today, got some wicked stuff on it.

apocalypse13
04-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Romeo is teh awesome.
That pretty much sums it up.

Resiliance
04-16-2006, 08:27 PM

Well he is a professional performing musician... He shouldn't have that.

SuburbanCowboy
04-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Romeo is a guitar GOD.

His solo in the song Masquerade is absolutley ass-melting!! It's a bonus track on The Odyssey - Limited Edition CD. As a matter of fact, that entire album is incredible

HammerForce
04-17-2006, 05:28 AM
I'd say Romeo is more technically skilled than Yngwie, I'd say Romeo is probably up there with Rusty Cooley and MAB in terms of technique. I wouldn't say he's an Yngwie rip off either, I'd much rather listen to The Oddyssey than Rising Force anyway.
Romeo does do some absolutely insane tapping licks (I tried to learn Sea of Lies solo the other day and I've not felt like such a noob since I tried to learn Under the Influence after a year of playing :()

Stratwizard
04-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Symphony X is pretty ridiculous, but Micheal Romeo can definately play.

Slayer224
04-17-2006, 05:36 AM
Symphony X and Michael Romeo rule. I really like his style. Sea of Lies owns your soul. Plus hes fat :headbang:

cliff_em_all
04-17-2006, 07:16 AM
..I thought it was Romero?

Slayer224
04-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Nope... :p:

OMG! your in my sig

cliff_em_all
04-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Nope... :p:

OMG! your in my sig

OMG OMG OMG IM IN YOUR SIG!!

But yes it is true, i don't like Herman Li that much *wank wank wank wank floyd rose dippppppp tapping tapping arpeggios tapped arpeggios more tapping go upside down, spin around and shake 20 foot long hair*

Thats all Herman li is to me :p:

Slayer224
04-17-2006, 07:29 AM
:haha

Its true... even though I enjoy Dragonforce songs :p:
I guess that type of stuff appeals to me :sad:

cliff_em_all
04-17-2006, 07:30 AM
:haha

Its true... even though I enjoy Dragonforce songs :P:
I guess that type of stuff appeals to me :sad:

Yeah i kinda like dragonforce but what the hell was through the fire and the flames? but now theyre starting to you know, be all same-y with the solo's, listen to cry of the brave solo and valley of the damned solo and they sound exactly the same.

Slayer224
04-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Yeah... they do get very repetitive. They must be running out of ideas. All their song structure and tempo are basically the same :p: And like you said with the solos.

cliff_em_all
04-17-2006, 07:35 AM
But thats Power Metal really aint it? :p:

Slayer224
04-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Well there are exceptions....

Symphony X and Michael Romeo > Dragonforce and Herman Li

Resiliance
04-17-2006, 08:09 AM
But thats Power Metal really aint it? :p:

No, it ain't.

Dragonforce just sucks.

PooKoo
04-17-2006, 08:12 AM
resi, what power metal bands do you like? I wanna hear you actually say you like something.

Resiliance
04-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Well, Sonata Arctica for one.

PooKoo
04-17-2006, 08:16 AM
:golfclap:

how bout stratovarious?

Resiliance
04-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Bleh... Don't like em' too much, don't dislike em' too much... All their songs are a bit samey.

Another one I like is Masterplan... Only their self-titled debut though. Some Nocturnal Rites is good too.

PooKoo
04-17-2006, 08:19 AM
eh, i suppose i'd agree, but they have some cool solos imo,

Stratwizard
04-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Well, Sonata Arctica for one.

The singer = :puke:

YtseJams20
04-17-2006, 08:30 AM
dragonforce bashing is unnecessary. i love sonata artica, hammerfall... stratovarius, rhapsody etc but all these bands have similarities whereas the only thing that sounds like dragonforce is dragonforce! they're not the only repetative band out there. i mean theyre just a f*ckin band it's not like they killed dimebag or sumsh*t! haha

anyhoo back to michael... when i first saw him i was quite... :eek: but....

theres no but! i love symphony x :p:

Resiliance
04-17-2006, 08:33 AM
The singer = :puke:

Bleh, better than Dragonforce.

Masterplan vocalist >

Slayer224
04-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Power metal > You

Edit: nothing wrong with Sonata Arctica vocals :p:

Master Of Shred
04-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Anyone happen to have his instramental CD??

Jut got it today, got some wicked stuff on it.

Yeah I have it.

Old album though, he's way better these days. He should make another one.

HammerForce
04-17-2006, 09:26 AM
I think Sonata and Dragonforce both kick ass in their own right. Even if Jani Liimatainen is much cleaner (and just generally better) than herman Li.
on topic : does anyone know what guitars Romeo Uses, they look sweet .

Resiliance
04-17-2006, 10:16 AM
ESP MII if I recall correctly...

Master Of Shred
04-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah, he uses Caparison now though.

Reemster
04-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Bleh, better than Dragonforce.

Masterplan vocalist >

Absolutely, Jorn Lande is the man, imo. Anyone have an album called "The Battle" ? Features Lande and Russell Allen. I like it, even though it's a bit "poppy" .
Russell Allen's solo album is also good, and Romeo plays on it as well. Not in the style your used from him though.

SuburbanCowboy
04-17-2006, 02:08 PM
I think Romeo is more tasteful player than Malmsteen because he knows when to play slower. (Like during the first part of the Odyssey, Lady of the Snow, and The Hunter).

I like Malmsteen and all, but I feel that his playing lacks depth because he rarely slows down and keeps an even pace with the rest of the band.

But thats just my opinion of course, and I'm sure plenty of you disagree.

AngilasGuy
04-18-2006, 12:47 AM
I think he's amazing, although to me he sounds alot like Malmsteen with some of the things he does but regardless he is a very good player... I really like Symphony X so yeah, good guitarist.

I actually never really compared Romeo to Malmsteen, to me, they both have very destinct styles.
To me, Romeo sounds very clean, clean like a bell, very round tone. Malmsteen sounds a bit more rough, rugged, but still clean, and dare I say more simplistic than Romeo. They both sort of sound different the way they chose to play scales, Malmsteen goes straight up and down from them a lot of the time, Romeo seems to spice it up a bit.
I dunno if that made sense but I can't really describe it.

I love Romeo, he makes me have hope, seeing another guitarist with chubby fingers makes me feel good :p