whats the difference between active and passive ?

PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference between active and passive ?

pathendry88
03-29-2006, 06:22 AM
im getting a new bass soon i was looking at getting a warwick corvette and says it has active pickups :confused: wats the difference beetween active and passive ?

bassbitch
03-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Passive pickups came first. Basically, they have controls for bass and treble but only allow you to turn these frequencies down, ie, cutting the sound out. You'll hear this sound on all the old Beatles albums.

Active pickups use a pre-amp and usually run off a 9v battery. They allow you to cut and boost these frequencies. You can shape your sound more. They also give less noise than passive pickups.

Hope this helps.

BB
x

Weybl Himself
03-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Actives have a built in preamp, usually run off a 9v battery but I've seen some guitars modified to run off phantom power. The pre-amp gives you the ability to shape the tone pretty finely at the guitar arther than the amp, where as passives just give you tone and volume as options, actives can offer bass, treble, mid control. Also, due to the powered pre-amp the output tends to be a fair bit higher, so be careful when you plug it in.

pathendry88
03-29-2006, 07:25 AM
how long does the battery life last ?

Weybl Himself
03-29-2006, 07:31 AM
All depends on how much you play.

MiniBassist
03-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Sorry but just a quick question is it active pickups or an active circuit? If its an active circuit then it is as BB and weybl described, however if its active pickups they give you no greater tonal control than passive pickups they simply have a punchier sound.

An active circuit gives you the eq control on the bass active pickups do not. The pre-amp in the pickups is simply to boost the output of the pickups because the signal is very weak without it. Active pickups generally use one 9V battery but active circuits use anywhere from one 9V to three 9V's that i've seen although some may use even more.

:cheers:

Mini

pathendry88
03-29-2006, 04:43 PM
it says it has passive pick ups but a 2 band pre amp

tubadude
03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
how long does the battery life last ?

it depends, but ive had the same battery in my bass for about a year or so. but i am due for a new one. just dont keep the bass plug in when you arent playing it.

rathmusbass
03-31-2006, 02:57 AM
hey, would having a pre-amp mean i wouldnt have to replace my passive pick ups in my current bass with actives ( and from what i hear thats a lot of work lol )

SocKo?
03-31-2006, 03:03 AM
passive pickups also tend to be wired more heavily than active. u can hav an active preamp and passive pick ups, or both active, or both passive. i dont think ive seen any other combinations. dont think ive seen active pick ups and passive preamp, that wasnt custom done, it doesnt really do much.

its alot of work to add custom pick ups because u'll hav to make a hole for the battery.

Bassilo
03-31-2006, 04:15 AM
Active gays despise women, and wanna appear all macho-like
Passive gays are a whole lot more feminine, and could be either a "boy" or a "girl" of the gayly gay relationship.

Edit: oh... y'all was talking about pickups.

MastaBassist10
03-31-2006, 04:37 AM
how long does the battery life last ?A good year or two, provided you don't leave your bass/guitar plugged in constantly.

shut_up_you_***
03-31-2006, 05:47 AM
it says it has passive pick ups but a 2 band pre amp

The Warwick Corvette comes in passive, passive pickups with active pre-amp and active pickups with preamp.

The website is not very useful to find out the finer details of these, so a while ago I contacted Warwick about how can you tell between these.

Passive pickups have "MEC" in silver written on them. Active has it written in gold. You can tell if has a pre-amp if you can pull out the volume knob (it acts as a active/passive switch).

What I like about the all active Warwick Corvette, is that you can turn the active preamp off, giving you a more woody sound.

btw... are you looking at the Standard Corvette or one of the others. I heard the Double Buck onlyu comes in passive pickup with preamp configuration.

pathendry88
03-31-2006, 06:28 AM
i was looking at the double buck 1

shut_up_you_***
03-31-2006, 07:18 AM
i was looking at the double buck 1

In that case, just ignore what I just said. :cool: