Jimmy Page Bridge Pickup

PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page Bridge Pickup

ClaptonFan13
03-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Okay I'm looking at a '61 reissue SG and want to know what Bridge Humbucker Jimmy Page used for most of his recordings, I know he used a les paul, but I want an SG. I want to get that Heartbreaker Sound. Did he use 57's or what???

MoBscene
03-29-2006, 10:37 PM
he uses a 57' les pual

MoBscene
03-29-2006, 10:39 PM
and a tele in some early stuff

ClaptonFan13
03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
I thought he used a '59 les Paul

but did he use '57s in his guitar??

iain4444
03-29-2006, 10:46 PM
check out mikesguitarsite or something almost exactly like that. It covers jimmy's setup in fairly extreme detail. Good luck!

heres the link

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/led_zeppelin/

iain4444
03-29-2006, 10:58 PM
claptonfan: uh...about you sig I don't really think you came up with that saying...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton its on there, people have been saying that for at least 35 years, but I'm not apposed to being in a cool club, as long as i'm something important sounding such as "junior vice president"

mods: for the love of god don't eat me for double posting :(

Holy Katana
03-29-2006, 11:01 PM
He uses stock pickups. People just didn't change pickups back then.

EDIT: To the threadstarter, Gibson just had one kind of humbucker back then. The '57 is supposed to sound like that pickup, although I can name at least three that sound more like it.

ClaptonFan13
03-29-2006, 11:05 PM
I know, they vandalized things in England with that saying, painted it all over things so i got the history down, i was just messing around..but you are the vp of the cool club

iain4444
03-29-2006, 11:07 PM
holy katana: would you name them then please? I just ordered Gibson 57' PAF's, and if I find out they aren't great I'll...have lost some money...lame

claptonfan: sweet, but I can't put it in my sig, you know, due to assassination related paranoia

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
03-29-2006, 11:24 PM
1st of all - Page did not use a 57 LP.

If I was trying to get the Page tone, the 1st thing I WOULD'NT do is get an SG.

How much money do you have?

Cheers,
CD

Holy Katana
03-29-2006, 11:24 PM
holy katana: would you name them then please? I just ordered Gibson 57' PAF's, and if I find out they aren't great I'll...have lost some money...lame

claptonfan: sweet, but I can't put it in my sig, you know, for assassination related paranoia

There's the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Model, the Seymour Duncan '59, the DiMarzio Air Classic, the DiMarzio PAF, the DiMarzio PAF Classic... There's a lot more. The funny thing is that they're all cheaper than Gibson's $100 a pop pickups, yet they sound so much better.

keeponrockin
03-29-2006, 11:29 PM
In heartbreaker i believe he used a Tele.

iain4444
03-29-2006, 11:29 PM
:( well, at least I'm getting a deal on mine. Stupid brand names.

anyways threadstarter: A large part of that tone came from the amp as well ('59 SLP, again- see that site), and also much of your tone comes from your fingers, and _how_ you play the guitar. Having the same/close equiptment helps...but that alone will never get you there.

utsapp89
03-29-2006, 11:32 PM
He actually used small low wattage tube amps like Supros for studio recordings.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
03-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't even bother changing pickups.

Let's remember the main ingredients to Page's tone: Les Paul with a cranked Marshall.

I'd be putting the money towards an amp, but thats just me.

Cheers,
CD

Mui
03-29-2006, 11:53 PM
A Burstbucker/'57 Classic at the neck and 500T at the bridge (I believe). If you want to go even further, he had a Push/Pull pots added to isolate the bridge pup.

Holy Katana
03-30-2006, 12:13 AM
A Burstbucker/'57 Classic at the neck and 500T at the bridge (I believe). If you want to go even further, he had a Push/Pull pots added to isolate the bridge pup.

It was to split the pickups. He also has an out-of-phase switch.

And, like I said, the pickups are stock, but Jimmy took the cover off of the bridge one. Gibson didn't make those pickups until recently.

Mui
03-30-2006, 12:21 AM
It was to split the pickups. He also has an out-of-phase switch.

And, like I said, the pickups are stock, but Jimmy took the cover off of the bridge one. Gibson didn't make those pickups until recently.

I know, but apparently those particular pickups were able re-create Page's sound without having to be 100% accurate to what Page actually did, say the removing of the cover, bridge height, saddle position, or whatever he did to change his sound excluding amp settings.

Sure it wouldn't be EXACT, but it would be pretty damn close.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
03-30-2006, 12:59 AM
What I've heard around the Les Paul circle is: Page's bridge pickup went. When it did he had a custom wound replacement put in the bridge position. The woman who did the pickup work for him went on to work with Seymour Duncan and created the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Jimmy Page pickup.

Sometimes I think that the living guitar greats just pretend to have forgotten details of their setup so they can have a laugh at all of our arguments over it.

Cheers,
CD

Edit: Reviews here (http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data2/Seymour_Duncan/Custom-Shop-Jimmy-Page-01.html)

pommegrenade
03-30-2006, 01:13 AM
burstbucker pickups

Roc8995
03-30-2006, 01:20 AM
What I've heard around the Les Paul circle is: Page's bridge pickup went. When it did he had a custom wound replacement put in the bridge position. The woman who did the pickup work for him went on to work with Seymour Duncan and created the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Jimmy Page pickup.

Sometimes I think that the living guitar greats just pretend to have forgotten details of their setup so they can have a laugh at all of our arguments over it.

Cheers,
CD

Edit: Reviews here (http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data2/Seymour_Duncan/Custom-Shop-Jimmy-Page-01.html)

Right on. In case anyone cares, you can get the same pickups Jimmy uses. The lady ZoSo.Led.Zep. mentioned is MJ and she still works at SD. You can special order the Jimmy Page custom pickups, handmade by MJ, from Seymour for $300 a set.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
03-30-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks for that Roc8995.

Cheers,
CD

DeSean
03-30-2006, 05:20 AM
He used a tele on Heartbreaker. The bridge pickup on his LP was a standard pickup, but the case fell of from all the abuse with a violin bow.

utsapp89
03-30-2006, 11:20 AM
I don't see how a humbucker case would fall of from hitting the strings too hard with a violin bow. It's not like he actually made much contact with the actual pickup, and even then, how would it destroy the solder on the BOTTOM of the pickup that holds the cover on?

Gabel
03-30-2006, 04:01 PM
^Laso the one he used for Violin Bow was Les Paul #2. It was a 59 Les Paul and that Les Paul still ahd cover on the bridge! He had bought it from Joe Walsh and installed push/pull pots and a switch to put pickups out of phase and also had sopecial bridge (so he could use the bow) and an elliptical neck. He always used #2 for violin bow stuff and it always had the bidge cover...

#1 Was also a 59. It had standard pickups. He had isntalled push/ pull pots and the out of phase switch. He removed the bridge pickup cover. It had his special elliptical neck.

He also had a 58 Tlecaster wich was a gift from Jeff Beck. It had a dragon painted on it. It was used on led Zeppelin 1 and Stairway To Heaven solo.

The SG was only used live.

Amps consisted of a Supro 112 amp wich he had a Vox ToneBlender Fuzz (for distortion). The Tele went direclty to the amp. It was only used with the Tele in the studio. On Zeppelin 2 he switched to a Masrhall wich he repcaled the tubes with KT- 88's (to boost output) and he got out 200 watts from it.

For Jimmy Page tone a Les Paul will be alot better. For pickups something similar to 59 Les Paul pcikup will e what you need. Gibson's Burstbukcer's are based on them, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates are made after the ones from Billy Gibbons 59 Les Paul and will also be good. Also Bareknuckle makes a pickup cakked the Black Dog. I belive it will be close to Jimmy Page's sound.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
03-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Gabel,

I have pictures of Page using the bow on a Les Paul which doesn't have the bridge pickup cover on.

Please read posts by myself and Roc8995 concerning the bridge pickup. The cover was off because it was replaced.

Cheers,
CD

sHieZaN
03-30-2006, 10:26 PM
you dont HAVE to get a les paul to get jimmy's tone
i have a american deluxe fat strat plugged into a marshall tsl 60
and i get about 80% of his tone
i just need to put some burstbuckers in my strat and there it'll be as
close as you'd ever need it.

Gabel
03-31-2006, 05:26 AM
Gabel,

I have pictures of Page using the bow on a Les Paul which doesn't have the bridge pickup cover on.

Please read posts by myself and Roc8995 concerning the bridge pickup. The cover was off because it was replaced.

Cheers,
CD

Well i have seen most pictures of him using the one with cover on the bridge, but absolutly he has used it without.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
03-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Most of the pictures I have seen of him using the bow are from the period where he seemed to use a Les Paul with the bridge cover on - I'm assuming this was #2. This can be seen in the dvd 'The Song Remains The Same'.

In most of the pictures that I have of Page using the Les Paul without the cover on the bridge and the bow he also has the beard, so I'm assuming that he started to favour #2 later in his career.

Cheers,
CD

Gabel
04-05-2006, 02:02 PM
^That is true. He used #2 during the bow stuff in The Sing remains the same. He bought it from Joe Walsh and still uses it.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
04-05-2006, 06:39 PM
The only 'burst he used on the dvd had a covered bridge pickup. I'm assuming it was #2 the whole time.

Cheers,
CD