amp size for upcoming gig....HELP!

PDA

View Full Version : amp size for upcoming gig....HELP!

Benjammin610
03-30-2006, 01:21 AM
I recently started a band with three other guys, and we're playing a battle of the bands at school in less than two weeks...we've got the songs down, but we have a problem with equipment...Me and the rhythm guitarist both have 35 watt amps, but we're playing in a pretty huge gym(2 levels high)....will the 35's work, or are we going to have to find a way to get something bigger? We really have no money to rent anything.

shanerdoo
03-30-2006, 01:27 AM
does your school have a PA system??

Dan Steinman
03-30-2006, 01:48 AM
if there's an ASB or some organization that puts on events, they probably have a PA. ask them. otherwise, ask another one of the competing bands if you can share their equipment. come to think of it, it would be pretty unreasonable of your school to put this thing on without a PA system, so check if they have one.

Benjammin610
03-30-2006, 02:21 AM
come to think of it, im pretty sure the school does have a PA...thanks guys

Jimbo999
03-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Im doing my school show in a month and I'm using a 50 watt marshall and the bassist is using 30 watts and the drums aren't being amplified. The 50 watt marshall blends in well on mid volume so a 35watt amp would probably work on full volume. If you have an overdrive pedal use it to make your sound sharper so u can be heard above it all.
Jimbo

RainMustFall
04-03-2006, 07:45 PM
What are they, Fender/Marshall amps, or cheaper? My friend has a 30w Marshall, and he's able to do the smaller gigs fine, with drums and lead guitar. It depends, but you might need more firepower.

psychodelia
04-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I am using the P.A. until I get enough money for bigger amps. Or I mic my practice amp and run it through the P.A., depending on the supplies.

roast
04-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Mic the amp through PA, some people might disagree, but a Marshalls tone compared to a guitar put straight thru a PA is much better, belive me.

thesumoftwo
04-04-2006, 12:54 PM
the new marshalls have a special output on them which allows you to run a cable out of them and into the PA and keep the tone and all other aspects of the sound. Pretty clever and useful if you prefer the sound through your marshall and only feel happy playing through it.

jamiecallaghan
04-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah, just mic the lead guitar amp with the PA system. If you can.

Slurgi
04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Im doing my school show in a month and I'm using a 50 watt marshall and the bassist is using 30 watts and the drums aren't being amplified. The 50 watt marshall blends in well on mid volume so a 35watt amp would probably work on full volume. If you have an overdrive pedal use it to make your sound sharper so u can be heard above it all.
Jimbo

Usually bass amps seem to put out less volumes per watt. You may want to strongly consider getting more amperage through that bass amp or you might not really have much in the way of bass. I don't know this for sure though, it really varies from model to model.

:cheers:

Transpire
04-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Mic up your amp or use a pedal through the P.A

-Transpire-