Yes

PDA

View Full Version : Yes

mountaindew88
04-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I've just been starting to get into Yes recently and I've mainly been listening to my dad's old records (Fragile, Yes, The Yes Album, and Yessongs). It kind of started off like, "Hey, kid, you like Rush? You'll love this!" Anyway, discuss.

blues_rocker
04-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Great band, Steve Howe is an amazing guitarist, I love his acoustic work. Roundabout is my favorite Yes song, I love the intro. That song got me into Yes. Yeah, Chris Squire is an amazing bassist as well, the whole band is amazing. Yes = Awesome prog rock band.

fenderfreak101
04-02-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm glad to see two threads on my all time favorite guitarists on here.

Alvin Lee and Steve Howe are the most underrated guitarists of all time. Yes is made up of some of the best musicians in history, especially Squire, Howe and Their keyboardist (i always forget his name)

BrainDamage
04-02-2006, 03:24 PM
^^they've had plenty, but Rick Wakeman and Patrick Moraz (Sound Chaser, anyone? ;) ) were the two big ones.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about Yes. Fucking. Awesome. :) Yeah, that's all I have to say.

fenderfreak101
04-02-2006, 03:55 PM
^^they've had plenty, but Rick Wakeman and Patrick Moraz (Sound Chaser, anyone? ;) ) were the two big ones.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about Yes. Fucking. Awesome. :) Yeah, that's all I have to say.

Ahh Rick Wakeman, thats his name.

And where have you been lately? I haven't seen you post in like a month.

distilledspirit
04-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Finally, some real Yes attention. I love those guys, I saw them twice last year and they rocked at their 35th anniv. They still play good, scratch that, better than they played in their prime. Best albums to get are The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Yessongs, Going for the One, Wonderous Stories albums.

Bmm386
04-02-2006, 04:38 PM
theyre a great band.

fenderfreak101
04-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Finally, some real Yes attention. I love those guys, I saw them twice last year and they rocked at their 35th anniv. They still play good, scratch that, better than they played in their prime. Best albums to get are The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Yessongs, Going for the One, Wonderous Stories albums.

did Howe play Mood For A Day??

My dad saw them like 4 times and said it was incredible.

TheHeartbreaker
04-02-2006, 05:16 PM

Alvin Lee and Steve Howe are the most underrated guitarists of all time. Yes is made up of some of the best musicians in history, especially Squire, Howe and Their keyboardist (i always forget his name)

Alvin Lee's a beast, as is Steve Howe. :cheers: <-- That's right son.

Anyways, Yes has become one of my favorite bands, because of their talent and ability to keep me amazed and listening to a song that lasts for more than 20 minutes.

My favorite album right now is Close to the Edge, but their other work is awesome too.

I wish I can see them live sometime.

Anyways, what do you guys think what've happened if Page, Squire, and White got somewhere with XYZ? Would've been an amazing band, possibly, but basically they suffered the same thing as Blind Faith, except they didn't even release an album, lol.

BrainDamage
04-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Ahh Rick Wakeman, thats his name.

And where have you been lately? I haven't seen you post in like a month. I'm on JV Baseball and we have practices until 7 every day, so the only time I can get on a computer is on the weekends (well, Sundays...we have games and/or practices on Saturday).

Finally, some real Yes attention. I love those guys, I saw them twice last year and they rocked at their 35th anniv. They still play good, scratch that, better than they played in their prime. Best albums to get are The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Yessongs, Going for the One, Wonderous Stories albums. Wonderous Stories? Anyway, did they play South Side of the Sky when you saw them? If they did, it must have been a real treat to hear that...back in the 70s it was rarely played.

And is there any kind of news on a Yes tour or album? I only got big on Yes in the past year, so I completely missed out on the 35th Anniversary tour. I would love to see this band live.

distilledspirit
04-03-2006, 10:42 AM

To-shay brother. They made Rock n' Roll into something we'd never expect. Let's keep this thread alive:

What's your favorite song from Yes?

Mine is Starship Trooper

EDIT: To the guy above me, I wasn't too sure of the album name, so I just put the song name

TheHeartbreaker
04-03-2006, 11:06 AM
My favorite song is...

I don't know exactly, but I've got a few:

Siberian Khatru
Close to the Edge
Starship Trooper
Yours Is No Disgrace
I've Seen All Good People
The Gates of Delirium

Those are some of my more personal favorites, but anything by them is great.

Also, anyone else love "Yes" album covers?

distilledspirit
04-03-2006, 06:47 PM
^Yeah man they're awesome, i like stuff similar to the Yessongs album and Fragile.

Substitute
04-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Round About and Heart Of The Sunrise.
Also, does anyone know if Chris Squire(bassist) is dead?

BrainDamage
04-03-2006, 08:53 PM
^^last I checked he was still alive...

To-shay brother. They made Rock n' Roll into something we'd never expect. Let's keep this thread alive:

What's your favorite song from Yes?

Mine is Starship Trooper

EDIT: To the guy above me, I wasn't too sure of the album name, so I just put the song name heh, Wonderous Stories is on Going for the One :p: . Great album though :cool:

Favorite Yes songs? I love Sound Chaser and We Have Heaven/South Side of the Sky (there is something about We Have Heaven that is so addicting...and SSOTS is just plain awesome in itself). Another one of my favorites is Yours Is No Disgrace. Then there is what is probably one of my all-time favorite moments in music- the Starship Trooper outro.

The Shadow
04-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty much officially obsessed with Yes these days.

Every member of that band is amazing. Squire, Wakeman and Howe are all ridiculously good on their respective instruments, Jon Anderson has such an awesome and wide-ranging voice, and Bill Bruford is such an inventive drummer.

Together, they've made some brilliant, challenging and unique music. One of the few bands I know who can play a 20 minute song that doesn't get repetitive and dull, but stays fresh and outstanding.

Close to the Edge, The Yes Album and Fragile are their 3 best albums, probably in that order.

My favourite song would probably be Close to the Edge, though I'm also leaning slightly towards I've Seen All Good People. But all the songs on those 3 albums are awesome.

Yes deserve more credit these days, I'm literally the only person I know who listens to them. A sad state of affairs, I think you'll agree.

Melodelic
04-05-2006, 12:10 AM
i'm going to see steve howe in 9 days!

distilledspirit
04-05-2006, 09:30 PM
^What tour is that? Is there a site from which I can see if he's coming to Philadelphia??

Gabuydachk
04-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Howe is great

Melodelic
04-06-2006, 06:04 PM
^What tour is that? Is there a site from which I can see if he's coming to Philadelphia??

http://ritualdetroit.com/artist_detail.html?artist_id=4397

:cool:

distilledspirit
04-06-2006, 06:37 PM
^^Hey thanks dude, lol it's in 2 days......that's gonna be hard to get to.

Iruleeverything
04-07-2006, 12:35 AM
I love yes, although I'm not that big of a fan of their newer stuff, Fragile and Close to Edge are my fav. Albums by them. Steve Howe is a ****ing god at guitar. I love the clap and mood for a day. :cheers:

BrainDamage
04-07-2006, 11:02 PM
I love the clap and mood for a day. :cheers: ever try and play either of those? :wtf:

kep189
04-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Great musicians in Yes, Squire is a madman on the bass. My two favorites are Starship Trooper and Roundabout.

psychodelia
04-30-2006, 12:22 AM
I saw the headline today, something like "Steve Howe Dead" and I freaked. Turns out this Steve Howe was a baseball reliever from the 80s. Phew.

distilledspirit
04-30-2006, 08:44 AM
ever try and play either of those? :wtf:

Two of the hardest pieces EVER. Steve Howe is so technical. His style is way better than shred imo.

TheHeartbreaker
04-30-2006, 09:33 AM
I saw the headline today, something like "Steve Howe Dead" and I freaked. Turns out this Steve Howe was a baseball reliever from the 80s. Phew.

Yeah, the guy from the Dodges?

I saw that too, but thankfully in the Sports section, so I didn't freak.

Anyways, I'm currently putting on a couple more Yes albums on my iPod - Tormato and Going for the One.

I've listened to them both before, and even though I'm not so into Yes' more "structured", shorter songs, I think these albums are both great.

What about you guys?

NineInchNails_0
04-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Wrong forum. They are progressive rock.

Good band though. If you like them, check out King Crimson.

TheHeartbreaker
04-30-2006, 09:47 AM
^^Well, even though they are "progessive rock", we keep them in here, so don't worry about this being in the wrong forum.

distilledspirit
04-30-2006, 10:03 AM

It's Yes dude they are classic rock! They pioneered Prog rock

TheHeartbreaker
04-30-2006, 10:30 AM

Going on with that, King Crimson's considered Prog Rock, yet they're welcome here; just as Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc. are.

Basically, if they're Prog Rock and they released an album during 1984 or before, we usaully see them as Classic Rock.

BrainDamage
04-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Two of the hardest pieces EVER. Steve Howe is so technical. His style is way better than shred imo. I've actually become pretty good at Mood for a Day. I'm not even going to attempt Clap though :p:

Heartbreaker, I like Going for the One a lot.

distilledspirit
04-30-2006, 05:37 PM
^^Yeah I got Mood down somewhat. I've got a Yes book with the tab for Clap it's hard but simple in a way.

TheHeartbreaker
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
^^After I go through my Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen tab books, I'm thinking of getting a Yes tab book.

I can just imagine some of their longer stuff being like, 50 pages, lol.

Iruleeverything
04-30-2006, 09:55 PM
ever try and play either of those? :wtf:

I can play mood for a day :p: , its not actually that hard, of course I can't play it as well as steve howe, I tried to play the clap too :wtf:

self-made_page
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Steve Howe came to my town a couple weeks ago, but it was a 21+ show.

:mad:

EDIT: Mood for a Day is relatively easy, when compared with other Yes songs, it just takes a lot of remembering which bass notes go with which high notes. It sounds beautiful though. Clap, however, is near impossible for me, mainly because it's so fast.

Anyone seen the "Sketches in the Sun" video? It's on YouTube, maybe other sites. The song's from either a Steve Howe solo album or from another band he formed (the album's called GTR). Fantastic song, if my acoustic had a cutaway I'd jump on learning it.

BrainDamage
05-01-2006, 08:23 PM
EDIT: Mood for a Day is relatively easy, when compared with other Yes songs, it just takes a lot of remembering which bass notes go with which high notes. It sounds beautiful though. Clap, however, is near impossible for me, mainly because it's so fast. it is relatively easy, except for the two fast 16th note runs. I have to clean it up also, I play it somewhat sloppy when trying to get it up to speed.

EDIT: and you are absolutely correct on saying it sounds beautiful.

Clap, on the other hand...not even gonna go there :p:

distilledspirit
05-02-2006, 05:05 PM
^^Yeah no one can touch Steve on that piece.

PatrickJR
05-02-2006, 08:18 PM
YES!. That's the name of the band. Listen to the keyboard Solo on Round About. ( School Of rock ) YESSSS

TheHeartbreaker
05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Actually, it's "Roundabout" - one word, not two.

distilledspirit
05-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Roundabout is good but it's so cliche of people to mention it. No one ever says anything about songs like Ritual, Mind Drive, Perpetual Change, Heart of the Sunrise. UG NEEDS MORE HARDCORE YESFANS!

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2006, 06:22 PM
We ARE (for the most part) "HARDCORE YESFANS!".

distilledspirit
05-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Lol yeah wanna start a club???

self-made_page
05-03-2006, 06:31 PM
No one ever says anything about songs like Ritual, Mind Drive, Perpetual Change, Heart of the Sunrise.

Or Into the Lens or Don't Kill the Whale! wooo Yes.

distilledspirit
05-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Or Into the Lens or Don't Kill the Whale! wooo Yes.

Dude! Don't Kill the Whale is one of the greatest songs ever!

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Lol yeah wanna start a club???

Sure.

distilledspirit
05-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Ok how do we do this? Never started one before.

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Uh, just put something in your sig, like what I've got.

We just need a cool name... I'll let you have the honors of choosing.

distilledspirit
05-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Hmm I'll think of something, you can have input.

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2006, 06:58 PM
How about... "The Yes Club"?

distilledspirit
05-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Or, "The YesClub". We'll do that

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Sweet!

psychodelia
05-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Phooey. I figured it might be ironic, like "No, the official Yes club".

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2006, 07:48 PM
^^Lol.

That'd have been great.

Anyways, on to Yes talk... what's everyone's favorite Yes album cover?

Mine's Relayer.

self-made_page
05-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Tormato.

It's like a tomato tornado, get it?

e: also The Ladder

distilledspirit
05-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Union is pretty great I love that type of artwork, it's my desktop backround.

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2006, 08:28 PM
^^Union album = kickass.

It reminds me in some ways of the Relayer cover, considering they both depict fictional worlds similar to something we'd see in Middle Earth.

distilledspirit
05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Haha nice description.

EDIT: I just decided to upload Union onto my iTunes and the name of the artist cam up as Clarence Brown. Anyone know what the hell is going on here?

distilledspirit
05-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Double posting to bring this thead back...

Anybody wanna name the Yes albums that you own and cherish with your offspring?

Mine Are: Well, all of them even the 80's and 90's without half the band. They still rock.

rplb
05-31-2006, 06:55 PM
sry dont have any albums yet but from the many songs ive heard there great.

distilledspirit
05-31-2006, 08:02 PM
If you want a good album get The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Egde.

TheHeartbreaker
05-31-2006, 08:39 PM
The Yes albums I have on CD are...

Close to the Edge
Drama
Fragile
Going for the One
Tales from Topographic Oceans
The Yes Album
Time and a Word
Tormato
Yes

Everything else of theirs I own on Vinyl, which is pretty much the rest of their stuff.

BrainDamage
05-31-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't have my external hard drive hooked up, so I'm gonna do this from memory:

Yes
Time and a Word
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Relayer
Tales
Yes Album
Going for the One
Tormato
Drama
Yessongs
Keys to Ascension 1 and 2
Live at the House of Blues
The Ladder
90215 (maybe...I think I have this one sitting in my CD rack somewhere)
Big Generator

and a lot of bootlegs.

TheHeartbreaker
05-31-2006, 08:54 PM
^^Lol. I saw your bootleg list of Yes. It's impressive. :cheers:

BrainDamage
05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
^^:cheers:

my list is in my sig if anyone wants to check it out :)