The Band

PDA

View Full Version : The Band

Infinite-Reason
04-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Just watched the Last Waltz a little whille ago. Thoughts on The Band? Theyre pretty good, with some good catchy tunes (The Weight, The Night they drove ol dixie down, ophelia).

Russ_Newf
04-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Amazing band. I love them so much.

Yea boner.

quadrophenic_9
04-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah I saw that too. I heard maybe two of their songs in my life and didn't know who they were until I saw the movie this christmas. They're pretty awesome. The movie got a little long seeing as though at the time I didn't know who they were but some of the tracks I would go back and watch if I had the option. Loved the bassist's expressions though. He was kind of spazzy in a funny way.

Dirtydeeds468
04-02-2006, 11:27 PM
They're pretty cool. I listen to 'em once in a while...

Billy Badass
04-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah I saw that too. I heard maybe two of their songs in my life and didn't know who they were until I saw the movie this christmas. They're pretty awesome. The movie got a little long seeing as though at the time I didn't know who they were but some of the tracks I would go back and watch if I had the option. Loved the bassist's expressions though. He was kind of spazzy in a funny way.

Didn't he look like a hobbit with a bass? Thats what I made of his dancing.

Infinite-Reason
04-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Oh man, his "dancing" pretty much made the film for me. 50 bucks he was out of his mind. Well they did have a big room full of cocaine during that concert

TheHeartbreaker
04-03-2006, 09:42 AM
They are awesome.

I really got exposed to them when I watched the Last Waltz, and I've started listening to them more. I've got some of their albums, one of them being a double-disc live album with Bob Dylan when they were his band.

They're really awesome.

Ranger01
04-03-2006, 05:16 PM
They are great. "um ya I turned over a Ciggarett machine and got everyone some ciggaretts" "We were coming from canada so we have these uuh big overcoats, and we would walk into the store with these overcoats, and we would have someone buy bread, the cheapest thing you can buy, and we would be paroosing the aisles stuffing baloney into these coats."
F*cking classic

deadhead313313
04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah, great band. Played with some of the greatest. Danko is a great bass player, and Robbie is a very underrated guitarist.

Ranger01
04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
^ya but from what I hear Robbie was a controll freak. Levon Helm wrote Up on Cripple Creek, The Night They Drove ol' Dixie down, and The Weight. and Robbie took credit for them.

deadhead313313
04-03-2006, 07:28 PM
^ya but from what I hear Robbie was a controll freak. Levon Helm wrote Up on Cripple Creek, The Night They Drove ol' Dixie down, and The Weight. and Robbie took credit for them.
Oh, I didn't say anything about his attitude. He was a prick, I'll say that. Got in big lawsuits and whatnot over song rights and stuff. But is guitar skills, are as I said, imo, very underrated

Cptbeefheart
04-03-2006, 09:21 PM
The Band are one of my favorite bands ever. The Last Waltz is the greatest concert DVD ever, and their rootsy music was a breath of fresh air if you ever wanted to escape hard rock sound of that era.

groll01
04-04-2006, 12:04 AM
i havent really heard much of em....(stupid name thou) anyway what album whould you recomend?

Cptbeefheart
04-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Get Music from Big Pink, and their name isnt stupid. Its ingenious.

Ranger01
04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Ya It was given to them by Bob Dylan, so it is a really good name.

trey-col89
04-04-2006, 08:52 PM
They were already a band before The Band.... they were Bob Dylan's back up band in the 60s and they decided to go off on their own... and their name stuck so they were just... The Band.

Cptbeefheart
04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Ya, they were the Hawks I believe before they were The Band.

klein82887
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
What can I say, Almost all of it's been said. The Band is so great. They were Bob Dylan's band for a while. I have this poster of this concert that I'd die to go to, the Watkin's Glen SUmmer Jam, that was The Band, The Grateful Dead, and The Allman Brothers Band...godly...

Cptbeefheart
04-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Is there by any chance a video of that Summer Jam?

Billy Badass
04-05-2006, 05:59 PM
What can I say, Almost all of it's been said. The Band is so great. They were Bob Dylan's band for a while. I have this poster of this concert that I'd die to go to, the Watkin's Glen SUmmer Jam, that was The Band, The Grateful Dead, and The Allman Brothers Band...godly...

That concert > Woodstock any day of the week.

Cptbeefheart
04-05-2006, 06:02 PM
o, ya. Those three bands were all fantastic live and if they jammed together at some point, that would be better than anything I have ever heard.

trey-col89
04-05-2006, 07:07 PM
All three bands' soundchecks ended up turning into five hour impromtu jams. If thats not the ****in most awesome thing ever, then I don't know what is.

Cptbeefheart
04-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Once again is there video footage of that concert? If there is then I am going to order it right now.

trey-col89
04-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure if there is... I don't think so, I'm pretty sure theres audio clips around though... Just wikipedia Watkins Glen Summer Jam and then click all the links at the bottom of the page and see where it leads you.

Cptbeefheart
04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
ok, i think I'll try that.

klein82887
04-06-2006, 06:54 AM
my thoughts excatley my friend
there are alot of mp3's around of The Band and the Grateful Dead together. There IS a box set of the concert - 6 CDS!! but i can't find it ANYWHERE. the dead and the band also have their own live cd's of it, but i'd rather have the whole set.

^Beefheart, my uncle used to listen to alot of Captain Beefheart.

Cptbeefheart
04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Ah, I love your uncle and you if you followed in his footsteps.

king_harvest88
04-30-2006, 05:29 PM
yay for the band. my fave band ever, and performers of my 2 fave albums ever (1.the band, 2.music from the big pink)
all the members are just some of the best ever on their respective instruments:

levon helm-my fave drummer ever, also an awesome singer.
garth hudson-all hail garth, the god of rock organ.
robbie robertson- my fave songwriter, and a great guitarist to boot.
rick danko-distinctive bass style, truly amazing singer.
richard manuel-great pianist and an awesome singer, also wrote some pretty awesome tunes.

i dunno why i felt i needed to give a member by member analysis, but i did it anyway.

MountainJam
04-30-2006, 08:44 PM
rock of the Ages is their best pre-last waltz live cd. It is so good, and it demonstrates the skill the Band had at vocals,guitar, and even organ. Bob Dylan plays w/ them at the end

TheHeartbreaker
04-30-2006, 09:04 PM
All three bands' soundchecks ended up turning into five hour impromtu jams. If thats not the ****in most awesome thing ever, then I don't know what is.

Wow. Two of my favorite bands plus one band I really like. That show must've been ****ING awesome.

Anyone know if it's on CD or anything?

MountainJam
04-30-2006, 09:57 PM
The Dead soundcheck part is on archive.org I don't know where the Allmans or Band soundcheck is though

klein82887
05-01-2006, 06:58 AM
As I did say before, there is a box set of the concert out there somewhere, its noted on Wikipedia, but I can't find it anywhere.

Cptbeefheart
05-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Is it a DVD box set or a Cd box set? If it is a DVD box set you might want to check DVD Beaver, they might have it.

klein82887
05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
It's a CD box set, sorry.

MountainJam
05-01-2006, 10:50 PM
No there isn't, if there is it doesn't include the Dad. The Grateful Dead refused to collaborate when making live DVDs or CDs unless they had full control over the project. Therefore the Grateful Dead refused to lend their recordings when they didnt get full control over the project, and therefore there is no copy anywhere except the cheap one on archive.org

klein82887
05-02-2006, 09:05 PM
go look it up on www.wikipedia.org, it has it listed as a cd box set