Start singing in a band?

PDA

View Full Version : Start singing in a band?

skydogzoso1986
04-03-2006, 08:34 AM
How should i handle this? im planning on starting a three piece band with a drummer, bassist and a guitarplayer/singer which will be me. I don't have any experience with singing so can i just begin singing in the mic in front of my band? do you think this will help? or can they be discouraged because of my voice perhaps? i'd like to sing but i'm a bit embarassed for the reactions. how do you think people like jimi hendrix started singing? Because he used to be shy about his voice too. Thanks for the help and sorry if this is a stupid thread!

joshsirjoshules
04-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Here's my advice: Find a singer that you like that's close to your range and try to emulate them. Singing isn't just something you do, you have to work at it. It's perfectly normal to be embarrassed but if they really want to have this band, they'll stay, and you'll get over the embarrassment. Just start singing songs you know around the house, this will help you develop your voice.

skydogzoso1986
04-03-2006, 09:10 AM
okay thanks. i've tried to get a singer that sound the way i want, but it never works because of the genre and people. i'll just try to work on my voice then, thanks!

Dirk Gently
04-03-2006, 09:39 AM
It's worth it to get a book on the proper mechanics of singing. Using proper techniques will protect you from vocal chord problems, let you retain consistency, and get your voice sounding the best it can. Also, record yourself singing and playing. See if you're hitting the notes. A lot of people who don't sing regularly are flat (sometimes extremely) while they play. I have that problem unless I use proper projection.

Bulletbass man
04-03-2006, 12:12 PM
I admit when i first started singing i sucked. I could only sing at about a whispers volume anygood. It takes a lot of practice. Now i often can pull off a practice with out a mic that is if there isn't a drummer.

Slurgi
04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Your main worry should be about hitting the right pitches first and foremost. There's a lot of famous musical artists (Hendrix is a good example) that actually have, in my opinion, terrible vocal timbre.

skydogzoso1986
04-03-2006, 01:15 PM
i don't know, i think hendrix had a good voice. my worry is mainly if i'd sound good. and if i don't, if the band would leave me or not. it's just that i want to accomplish something, like making songs etc. i want to give it a shot by singing, but i don't quite know when i'm ready for that, that's my biggest worry

CheckOutSerafin
04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
There's a lot of famous musical artists (Hendrix is a good example) that actually have, in my opinion, terrible vocal timbre.

:eek: :eek:

Jimis voice is beautiful!!! He is one of my favorate singers!

SilentDeftone
04-03-2006, 04:46 PM
*moved*

-SD :dance:

imdwalrus
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Summing it all up, just practice singing, and not only practice, but practice RIGHT. I myself am lucky enough to have a decent voice. I come from a singing family. But I still don't like singing lead in my band. I sing harmony a lot, though, and occasionally sing lead.

13579ed
04-04-2006, 09:45 PM
The most important thing I think about singing is staying in pitch and hitting your notes, you could probably work on pitch by play the notes in the melody your trying to sing and try to sing the same note.

stringmagician
04-05-2006, 12:08 AM
the beautifuk thing about rock is that you can have a truly ruddy voice and still sound great, pitch and notes are the only important thing

just sing along with every cd you have, great practice

skydogzoso1986
04-05-2006, 06:30 AM
okay, thanks for the advice. but then there's still the problem of practicing, since i live at home, i can't really sing loud, so i have to be able to sing at high volume. any tips?

r a c e t h e
04-05-2006, 08:06 AM
i sing lead in my band. just go for it. your band shouldnt laugh at you, and if they do there out of line. your the lead singer cause no one else had the balls to do it. so just think of that when you sing. other than just practice, practice. im usaully always singing so i get my practice without actually sitting down and saying"okay im going to practice singing now" but just work hard at it and it will come to you. hope this helps

skydogzoso1986
04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
thanks racethe, this is a good help for me. indeed no one else has the balls so it's kind of my job to take the sing part. i'll just do the best i can, otherwise they can ditch me :p

Slurgi
04-05-2006, 01:04 PM
:eek: :eek:

Jimis voice is beautiful!!! He is one of my favorate singers!

...Really? He has almost no range, with that range being quite low, and his voice is scratchy. Love his music, not really his voice so much.

Anyway, that's case in point. Just make sure you can hit the right pitches, and don't hold anything back!

skydogzoso1986
04-05-2006, 02:08 PM
yeah i think hendrix' voice is not very good, but it can touch people, just like dylan's music. that's quite difficult to do, i think

Peaceful Rocker
04-05-2006, 02:14 PM
You have to learn your vocal range, and don't write songs that you can't sing. That's what Hendrix did, hell thats what almost everyone does. I always write songs specifically to fit my voice so it will sound good

Bulletbass man
04-05-2006, 04:03 PM
The thing about Rock isn't that you need to have great vocal chords to have a great voice.

andersoncouncil
04-09-2006, 06:36 PM
What about volume?