ADVICE NEEDED: Starting A Band

PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE NEEDED: Starting A Band

abnormel
04-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Ok people. Can someone please give me some steps on starting a band? Like on how to recruit members and stuff, thanks for the help (my last band ditched me because my voice wobbles when I get nervous at concerts and I my fingers slip off the strings)

SomeEvilDude
04-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Firstly, pick up on what your last band ditched you for, and practise overcoming those problems.

As for starting a band, just put adverts in newspapers and shop windows etc. for musicians. Remember to include about three bands/artist that have influenced you, what musicians you're looking for, and rough outline of what genre you may be interested in playing. Do not, under any circumstances put an advert out with a list of influences like a recipe list, and with a definte genre to play. I cannot emphasize this enough; with adverts, put a few bands and artists that have influenced you, and very vague reference to what genre you're interested in playing. Possibly an age-range so you can find musicians in a similar age group to yourself. Then obviously leave a contact of some sort, be it e-mail address, phone number or whatever.

If someone gets in touch with you and is interested, find out a few bands they like and what music they're interested in playing, but try and get them to be a bit more specific genre-wise. If you're still interested, organize a jam session with them at some point. Play a few covers, or just improvise stuff, it doesn't matter. Just try and jam with them.

If you click, you're interested in the same/similar music and you're both equally dedicated or at least have similar musical goals, then voila. You've found a band member(s). If not, repeat the whole process again.

thesumoftwo
04-05-2006, 11:41 AM
also

take a look round your school, see if theres any other musicians you know but havent played with, its can also sometimes be a good solution.

abnormel
04-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I know what the last band kicked me out for, Im an OK guitarist but I absolutely suck at solos. Also, I was singing too and my voice f***s up at gigs cause you can hear my nerves.
So as long as I dont sing and dont play try to solo next time I should be good :P

Bulletbass man
04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=SomeEvilDude] Possibly an age-range so you can find musicians in a similar age group to yourself. QUOTE]

Definitely want that nothing is worse than rocking with 50 year old bassist and a 9 year old drummer.

RainMustFall
04-05-2006, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=SomeEvilDude] Possibly an age-range so you can find musicians in a similar age group to yourself. QUOTE]

Definitely want that nothing is worse than rocking with 50 year old bassist and a 9 year old drummer.

Then again, look at Bad Religion circa "The Gray Race"...

FenderStrat21
04-06-2006, 11:47 AM
dont let your friends in just because theyre your friend if they suck, tell them

also make sure your band members are fast learners, i didnt once and the kid sucked!

Dan Steinman
04-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Do not, under any circumstances put an advert out with a list of influences like a recipe list, and with a definte genre to play.
God I hate people who do that. Losers. I dont' care about every freaking band you've ever listened to! This comes off as anal and controlling, no one wants to jam with that kind of bandleader.

dont let your friends in just because theyre your friend if they suck, tell them

also make sure your band members are fast learners, i didnt once and the kid sucked!
Amen to this. The point of a band is to find musicians that you can work with, it's not the freaking sisterhood of the travelling pants. Fast learning is essential, too. Before you offer to start a band with someone, teach them a song. If they can't pick it up fast, GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THEM, cuz they will drive you crazy in the band and waste your time. I know the type, they just want to play the same damn songs they already know over and over again, they're not even curious about new ones, and they sure as hell don't get what's going on musically. If a new guy can hear something, learn it, understand it, and especially make his own variation of it or solo over it, he's worth his weight in elixer strings. (cuz... they're really expensive...get it? :D)