David Gilmour at Radio City.. Best Concert EVER!!

PDA

View Full Version : David Gilmour at Radio City.. Best Concert EVER!!

SuburbanCowboy
04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Went to see Gilmour at Radio City last night and WOW. He started the show by playing the entire songlist of On an Island. He had to play it out of order though, since Crosby and Nash were joining him on stage for On an Island (the song) but they showed up late. When Gilmour played his solos, Nash would sway around stage looking drunk or something. He even put his head really close to Gilmour's guitar at one point and stared at it. Weird. He played every song perfectly, but the songs were so relaxing that I was getting really tired. People constantly shouted "PINK FLOOOOYD!!" during most of the Island songs, which I thought was really rude. They woke me up with Take a Breath. It's my least favorite song on the album, but they f*ckin ROCKED out when they played it. After On an Island, he took a short break.

The next two hours were absolute magic. He played Shine On (with an amazing sax performance by Dick Parry), Wearing the Inside Out, Time/Reprise, Breathe, a couple Syd Barret songs, Echoes, High Hopes, Wish You Were Here, and he closed with an amazing performance of Comfortably Numb. I may be forgetting a few..

Echoes was INCREDIBLE. They played the entire song, including an extended keyboard/guitar duel by Gilmour and Wright. The lighting effects were great throughout the show, but during this song it put me into a trance state... it was that amazing.

Everyone told me a few months ago, when I first made a post about the Gilmour tour, that no one would be smoking pot in Radio City. They couldnt have been more wrong. People were lighting up EVERYWHERE and the staff didnt seem to care. Of course my stupid ass didnt bring anything :(

Overall this is the best concert I have ever been to. I've been a Floyd/Gilmour fan for years, but now I'm convinced that Dave is the best. Every song sounded great and his solos were sublime. If this concert comes to DVD you owe it to yourselves to check it out (this show wasnt filmed, but I bet one of them will be).

There was one point in the show, during High Hopes, when loud feedback crept in and made everyone squirm in their seats. But they got it under control quickly. That's the ONLY bad thing I can think so say about this show. Sorry if this seems like a pointless rambling statement thread, but I'm just excited and I wanted to let everyone know what happened at the show. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Smokey Amp
04-05-2006, 12:02 PM
David Gilmour is also one of my favourite musicians. I'd have loved to have been there.

Diabolic Clown
04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Sounds amazing, Im really looking forward to SOYCD and Echoes.. only 5 more days. :)

KingBrendan5149
04-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Went to see Gilmour at Radio City last night and WOW. He started the show by playing the entire songlist of On an Island. He had to play it out of order though, since Crosby and Nash were joining him on stage for On an Island (the song) but they showed up late. When Gilmour played his solos, Nash would sway around stage looking drunk or something. He even put his head really close to Gilmour's guitar at one point and stared at it. Weird. He played every song perfectly, but the songs were so relaxing that I was getting really tired. People constantly shouted "PINK FLOOOOYD!!" during most of the Island songs, which I thought was really rude. They woke me up with Take a Breath. It's my least favorite song on the album, but they f*ckin ROCKED out when they played it. After On an Island, he took a short break.

The next two hours were absolute magic. He played Shine On (with an amazing sax performance by Dick Parry), Wearing the Inside Out, Time/Reprise, Breathe, a couple Syd Barret songs, Echoes, High Hopes, Wish You Were Here, and he closed with an amazing performance of Comfortably Numb. I may be forgetting a few..

Echoes was INCREDIBLE. They played the entire song, including an extended keyboard/guitar duel by Gilmour and Wright. The lighting effects were great throughout the show, but during this song it put me into a trance state... it was that amazing.

Everyone told me a few months ago, when I first made a post about the Gilmour tour, that no one would be smoking pot in Radio City. They couldnt have been more wrong. People were lighting up EVERYWHERE and the staff didnt seem to care. Of course my stupid ass didnt bring anything :(

Overall this is the best concert I have ever been to. I've been a Floyd/Gilmour fan for years, but now I'm convinced that Dave is the best. Every song sounded great and his solos were sublime. If this concert comes to DVD you owe it to yourselves to check it out (this show wasnt filmed, but I bet one of them will be).

There was one point in the show, during High Hopes, when loud feedback crept in and made everyone squirm in their seats. But they got it under control quickly. That's the ONLY bad thing I can think so say about this show. Sorry if this seems like a pointless rambling statement thread, but I'm just excited and I wanted to let everyone know what happened at the show. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

lucky bastard...... :peace:

Burpin'Worm
04-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm turning green. I'd've loved to have seen that, as Brendan said, you lucky bastard.

TimiHendrix33
04-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Luh:key....

wilty00
04-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Sounds like an awesome time.. glad to hear you had fun :cheers:

BrainDamage
04-07-2006, 10:51 PM
fuck you. I did all I could to get to one of Gilmour's shows, and ended up with nothing. Now I'm going to download the audio from both the 4/4/06 and 4/5/06 and be even more pissed that I missed the shows.

On a lighter note :p: , glad to hear you had a good time. It must have been undescribable hearing Shine On and Echoes played live. Where were your seats?

:cheers:

EDIT: oh, and FYI, Gilmour recorded one of the RAH shows for a possible DVD release.

groll01
04-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Shocks....pegs.......LUCKY!!!!

dtstuff9
04-09-2006, 05:22 PM
good to know, im going to the concert tonight in toronto

BrainDamage
04-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Alright, I'm listening to the 4-4-05 bootleg right now. Now I despise you even more :)

and Suburban, the setlist was:

Set One:
01 Castellorizon
02 This Heaven
03 Smile
04 Red Sky at Night
05 Take a Breath
06 Then I Close My Eyes
07 On An Island*
08 The Blue*
09 A Pocketful of Stones
10 Where We Start

Set Two:
11 Shine on You Crazy Diamond*
12 Wearing the Inside Out
13 Dominoes
14 Fat Old Sun
15 Breathe
16 Time
17 Breathe (Reprise)
18 High Hopes
19 Echoes

Encores:
20 Wish You Were Here
21 Find the Cost of Freedom#
22 Comfortably Numb

*with David Crosby and Graham Nash vocals
#Crosby, Nash & Gilmour a cappella

SuburbanCowboy
04-10-2006, 12:07 PM
fuck you. I did all I could to get to one of Gilmour's shows, and ended up with nothing. Now I'm going to download the audio from both the 4/4/06 and 4/5/06 and be even more pissed that I missed the shows.

On a lighter note :p: , glad to hear you had a good time. It must have been undescribable hearing Shine On and Echoes played live. Where were your seats?

:cheers:

EDIT: oh, and FYI, Gilmour recorded one of the RAH shows for a possible DVD release.

My seats were up on the third tier. It was as far back as you can get from the stage, but we could still see pretty well. Radio City isnt really that big of a place.

Yeah, thanks for the setlist. I forgot about the Crosby/Nash/Gilmour a capella performace at the end. It was the only time that Nash actually stood still on stage :p:

Ranger01
04-15-2006, 01:54 AM
what sort of merch were they selling there (I love to collect concert merch)

FreddieMercury
04-15-2006, 08:34 AM
gilmour will be on jay leno next week im sure

SuburbanCowboy
04-16-2006, 12:35 PM
what sort of merch were they selling there (I love to collect concert merch)

Nothing too fancy. T-shirts for the standard $40, which plenty of suckers bought and wore for the rest of the night. And also they were selling special programs, which looked like a Gilmour history/scrapbook type thing. I cant be too sure, cuz I didnt buy one.. I just caught peeks at everyone else's.

Oh and Beers were $9, Margaritas were $12 :(

Diabolic Clown
04-16-2006, 04:24 PM
gilmour will be on jay leno next week im sure

Yep, Thursday April 20th.

Sherman901
04-16-2006, 07:25 PM

I saw him in Chicago and it was absolutely amazing. He didn't play any Barrett songs, are you perhaps thinking of Wot's uh.. the deal? or Fat Old Sun? Neither of those are Barrett songs but they aren't very well known. I agree about Take A Breath. I don't like that song on the album but in concert it blew me away. It was the best time of my life and I'll never forget it.

Metalology
04-17-2006, 03:53 PM
lucky bastard...... :peace:

Agreed. I hope Roger Waters tours North America seeing that he's doing the entire Dark Side of the Moon as a set.