What Do You Think of Thrice?

PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think of Thrice?

myvaliantleap
04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Basically I was just wondering what you guys and gals think of Thrice. I really liked the older stuff. The Artist In the Ambulance was ok, but wasn't my favorite. I really don't like the new album, Vehissu (sp?). I have only listened to it once but it turned me off from the get go. I really did not like how almost every song starts of with piano. That just got old. I do love the Image of the Invisible song though. Well, anyways I was just wondering what you guys thought.

pinion18
04-05-2006, 05:35 PM
I thought Artist in the Ambulance was a great album. I didn't like the two previous efforts at all, because to me they were boring and all sounded the same. Vheissu I have only heard twice and that's because I knew right off the bat they were going in the wrong direction. I wish they would have continued with their style from AITA. Only bad thing I can say is that I really don't like his voice.

the_astronaut
04-05-2006, 05:38 PM
When I saw them live they were ohkay, a bit weak, but then they did come on after Circa Survive.

New stuff is alright.

waldorphPRS41
04-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I personally like the new cd the best. I liked the first two alright, TAITA was not very good IMO minus the title song.

Charlatan_001
04-05-2006, 08:00 PM
They're not bad. Better than MCR and Stutterfly at least.

.:bleednomore:.
04-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Theyre pretty good.
They were sick live live when i saw them
And i pretty much like all of their CDs so thats a plus.

GuitarSymphony
04-05-2006, 08:20 PM
I really dig Thrice. They really try to push their work. I was however dissapointed with Vehessieu or w/e. They're idea of change was not a bad idea, their excution however was lacking. I felt like a lot of the songs sounded to much the same, the guitar just lacked to much for me. I felt like Thrice turned into some Radiohead wannabes. On top of that the lyrics lacked so much compared to their previous stuff. AITA had some amazing lyrics, ever read the lyrics to Abolition of a Man? That's deep stuff.

hXcMacbeth3
04-05-2006, 10:01 PM
thrice is basically my favorite band...i think they are some of the most talented muscians ou there, they havent put out an album i didnt like...although i am in love with artist in the ambulance and vheissu

DeliriumTrigger
04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
I love them. Vheissu is my favourite album, but I do get where GuitarSymphony is coming from when he calls them Radiohead ripoffs. I though TAITA was very weak, though, except for a couple of songs.

FlyingFuc!<
04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
it hurts my brain to understand how people can NOT like thrice. I mean anyone who listens to hardcore or heavier music should be able to appreciate how ahead of the trend they were, perfectly mixing punk and metal since first impressions and identity crisis. Personally my favorite was illusions of safety, every single song is great. and to ppl who say they AITA, yeah it's great, but defnititely give IOS a chance, i mean deadbolt, how much better can it get?

hXcMacbeth3
04-05-2006, 10:37 PM
^ i know exactly what you mean...and for whoever said vheissu's lyrics are lacking or whatever...thats rediculous, i though vheissu had thrice's best lyrics to date

J Lock
04-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Amazing.
Simply amazing.

scousertommy
04-06-2006, 04:34 AM
Thrice are the best band existing under the 'hardcore' label. Their music is light years ahead of every other brand of punk or metal. What's great about Thrice is that they don't rely on any of the commercial gimmickry that other punk/metal bands do. The music is just far more mature and honest.
Breath of fresh air.

dead_kennedy
04-06-2006, 06:11 AM
i love all of Thrice's stuff, identity crisis has to be my favourite record though. i still haven't seen them live yet, are they actually any good? from what i heard from my guitarist (who went to go see them with Coheed, and doesn't really like Thrice), they weren't all that great. may have just had a bad day though, it happens.

Kaney
04-06-2006, 08:32 AM
i have alot of respect for thrice, their old stuff was amazing but so many new bands are copying their style pretty unsuccesfully they decided to try something newer and maturer and it paid off as after a few listens you realise vheissu is their most mature album to date.

the_astronaut
04-06-2006, 09:55 AM
i love all of Thrice's stuff, identity crisis has to be my favourite record though. i still haven't seen them live yet, are they actually any good? from what i heard from my guitarist (who went to go see them with Coheed, and doesn't really like Thrice), they weren't all that great. may have just had a bad day though, it happens.
I saw them with Coheed and they were weak as I said above.

saga_7
04-06-2006, 12:14 PM
im goin to see them in 6 days.. at ToC.. in london ontario.. ther new stuff suuckks

Independent27
04-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Illusion of Safety is my favorite, and it would be even if it just had TAAATD.

And to whoever, asked, they're great live.

myvaliantleap
04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Well when I saw Thrice live they were amazing. They were at Warped last year (yea, yea, bring on the flames) and I absolutely loved them. I pushed through the crowd for a good 15 minutes only to find out that MCR was starting late and almost died when 1,00,000 teeny boppers started pogoing around me. Needless to say I left and came back to see Thrice. Again, they were amazing. They were one of the best bands I saw there and they played alot of their older stuff off of The Illusion of Safety.

hXcMacbeth3
04-06-2006, 05:23 PM
thrice is amazing live

ieatcellphones
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
One of my favorites EVER. Last time I saw them live was right after TAITA had been released. That was an amazing show.

I can rock Vheissu at certain moment, where their other albums I can put in at anytime and find something that feels right. Teppei is my god.

VALESK
04-07-2006, 03:10 PM
great band deadbolt.

gunsn'pjs
04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
i just saw them at taste of chaos and i loved them. i love most of there stuff. it took me a few listens to appreciate the new cd. it was only because i was anticipating the sound would sound like heavier thrice stuff. but when i really sat down and listened to it i relized how great they are as musicians. i would say they r one of the more talented bands around today.

Jetty
04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
thrice pwns.

arist in the ambulance album pwns.

basically they'll pwn you.

i love em.

Unbending_Soul
04-27-2006, 09:27 PM
i like all of their stuff that i've heard. their new stuff is good but it's not like them at all. i still like it tho just Artist is their best cd hopefully they'll go back to the heavy stuff but once again this is an EMO band they aren't hardcore or i dont consider them to be but theyre still one of the best out there now

reasonforchange
04-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Thrice are the best band existing under the 'hardcore' label. Their music is light years ahead of every other brand of punk or metal....

I wouldnt go that far. Thrice are moreso screamo even then hardcore, and to call them the best thing ever to exist in the hardcore genre is just absurd.

AbsentiA
04-27-2006, 11:52 PM
this is an EMO band

You are kidding right? I hardly think they would consider themselves emo.

These guys are absolutely amazing. And if any of you actually bothered to watch "If we could only see us now" then you would have heard them talk about how they aren't into making the same album twice, so quit asking them to do so. Quite frankly, I think they are some of the best songwriters of our time, and possibly for years to come no matter what they happen to be doing musically at the time. You can actually hear them maturing from album to album. It really is a wonderful thing.

shai_savant
04-28-2006, 12:54 AM
better than every other band in their genre

Small Distracti
04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
They seem like a pretty balanced mix of both hardcore and emo to me.
Either way, I enjoy them everyonce and awhile.

Smoothie
04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
They suck live, they have no stage presence whatsoever.

J Lock
04-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Who did you see them with?

mer_der_noms
04-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Eh..I like Artist in The Ambulance...Vheissu was decent..pretty decent band...couldn't stand listening to thme all the time though.

FireRage
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Personnaly, I LOVE thrice. I think they have a lot of great stuff, but yeah, Vhisnu wasn't the greatest. I'm a much bigger fan of Artist in teh ambulence. I still love the new stuff, but Artist is much better.

Mind you, Image of the invisible kicks @$$. Great video, too.

TommyWIg
05-06-2006, 05:17 PM
great band, illusion of safety is my fav.

RUIN717
05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
both them and coheed and cambria suck

LedZeppelin
05-31-2006, 10:46 PM
I've heard a few Thrice tracks and they sound pretty average and not as talented as people are making them out to be, but can anybody recommend a few standout songs?

fps_doug
05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
I think they suck.

SilentSpectacle
06-01-2006, 12:19 AM
I've heard a few Thrice tracks and they sound pretty average and not as talented as people are making them out to be, but can anybody recommend a few standout songs?

Harder ones: Deadbolt, Paper Tigers
Softer ones: Artist In The Ambulance, Stare At The Sun

At least those are my favorites.

kryptonite22
06-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I love Thrice.

I said something in the other Thrice thread about them being great across every album, despite changing sounds. I think that's why I like them, they can do pretty much any sound. Vheissu has to be my favourite though, and this from someone who's been listening to Thrice for a good few years now.

I saw them live in 2003, but it was at Reading Festival, so I don't think it's really the same as a club or 'proper' gig. They were alright, but weren't helped by the tiny, uninterested crowd and looked lost on the big stage (something I actually find comforting because I prefer smaller venues). I met them and they were nice blokes.

Zamboni
06-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Thrice is my favorite band of all time.

Every album is a new experience, and builds upon the foundations laid by the latter album.

Always evolving, always impressing, and they are almost CD quality live.

(Plus, Dustin's lyrics are probably the best out there in modern music.)

hXcMacbeth3
06-01-2006, 02:19 PM

what spectacle said, and red sky is a great song, music box is good, to avenge and awake the dead is another great one

mysexybass
06-01-2006, 05:01 PM
I like silhouette, myself.

I only discovered thrice at ToC in april, but they're prety much my favourite band now. I only know songs from their two newest albums, but I'm going to look up the others.

tpen892004
06-01-2006, 07:03 PM
thrice have to be one of favourite bands, i love everything they do, all their albums i can listen form start to finish...their live stuff is awesome. dustin voice, teppei guitar work, eddie bass playing and riley drum work all amazing.

identiy crisis= amazing
illusion of saftey= life
artist in the ambulance= sex
vhiessu= epic

RedDeath9
09-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Amazing

I love the 3:21 mark in For Miles, so epic.

Gomorrah
09-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Oddly enough, I got into Thrice after Vheissu came out. Every thing before that seemed to be kind of boring post hardcore (judging on what I heard back in like 7th-8th grade). Vheissu seemed to be miles ahead of their past releases. Maybe I should listen again.

tpen892004
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
cant wait to hear their new stuff

technicolour
09-23-2006, 02:08 PM
I listen to em once and awhile, they're pretty much the only... ..melodic hardcore/post hardcore? I listen to.

RedDeath9
09-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah the new album is supposed to be a double album, divided into 4 sections. It's pretty sweet. It'd be awesome if they kinda went back to their old stuff, but still kept the mellow stuff.

martyr
09-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Vheissu seemed to be miles ahead of their past releases.

definitely. i mean, 'artist in the ambulance', 'illusion of safety', maybe even 'identity crisis' are solid release, but nothing comes close to the brilliance of vheissu. honestly, i don't even consider the album core really, it's probably one of my top 10 albums which is right beside the mars volta, radiohead, tool, muse, and some indie stuff. lyrically it's amazing, the imagery and concepts that are sung of just make me want to listen to it again because it's so east to relate to in such a chaotic time in humanity's history.

it also seems to be the album they were always sort of trying to make. after dustin realized that he didn't need to scream all the time to express his lyricism, he seems more comfortable with playing music. i mean they said themselves in the linear notes that the album's the first they could really go to the grave and be completely happy with, and i personally, am happy with the change.

ThisPerishedMin
09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Oddly enough, I got into Thrice after Vheissu came out. Every thing before that seemed to be kind of boring post hardcore (judging on what I heard back in like 7th-8th grade). Vheissu seemed to be miles ahead of their past releases. Maybe I should listen again.

i agree completely. that and martyrs whole post above. i actually have alot of trouble enjoying the other ablums, but vheissu is juts something so on its own, so unlike everything else musically. its made of pure win and gold. bottom line.

thatoneguy99999
09-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Their previous releases were great stuff. I was hooked with The Illusion Of Safety. They have always made good music, but Vheissu is art. It has to be one of the best CD's around. It is pretty experimental from where they are coming from. It is a really epic sounding CD. They can go soft and melodic at times, yet still get really heavy in a instant. I think "The Earth Will Shake" captures the whole essence of the new album.

Gomorrah
09-25-2006, 08:39 PM
definitely. i mean, 'artist in the ambulance', 'illusion of safety', maybe even 'identity crisis' are solid release, but nothing comes close to the brilliance of vheissu. honestly, i don't even consider the album core really, it's probably one of my top 10 albums which is right beside the mars volta, radiohead, tool, muse, and some indie stuff. lyrically it's amazing, the imagery and concepts that are sung of just make me want to listen to it again because it's so east to relate to in such a chaotic time in humanity's history.

it also seems to be the album they were always sort of trying to make. after dustin realized that he didn't need to scream all the time to express his lyricism, he seems more comfortable with playing music. i mean they said themselves in the linear notes that the album's the first they could really go to the grave and be completely happy with, and i personally, am happy with the change.

um plz come back here more often mang I enjoyed reading your posts.

hXcMacbeth3
09-25-2006, 08:41 PM
word