Lynyrd Skynyrd: Greatest Southern Rock Band Still Today

PDA

View Full Version : Lynyrd Skynyrd: Greatest Southern Rock Band Still Today

Guitar344
04-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Ronnie Van Zant- lead vocals, Cassie Gaines, JoJo Billingsley and Leslie Hawkins- background vocals, Artimus Pyle and Bob Burns- drums, Billy Powell- keyboard, Steve Gaines, Ed King, Gary Rossington and Allen Collins- guitar, and Larry Junstrom and Leon Wilkeson- bass. (band members of 1964 to 2001)

This great southern rock band of the 1970's was under the leadership of vocalist and primary song writer Ronnie Van Zant until his death in 1977. Lynyrd Skynyrd was just recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 13, 2006. The members of Lynyrd Skynyrd that were inducted include Ronnie Van Zant, Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Leon Wilkeson, Bob Burns, Billy Powell, Ed King, Artimus Pyle and Steve Gaines.

Skynyrd's triple-lead guitar sound made their songs "Freebird" and "Sweet Home Alabama" American anthems to Southern Classic Rock, as well as many other great songs played by them. Just as Lynyrd Skynyrd's rising point came to a great start, the band members Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines came to a dreadful end in the "Skynyrd Plane Crash of 1977". Three days after the release of Street Survivors on October 20, 1977 Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane crashed carrying the band on tour from Greenville, South Carolina to Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Rock and Roll legends were lost that day but in 1987, Lynyrd Skynyrd reunited for a full-scale tour with crash survivors Gary Rossington, Billy Powell, Leon Wilkeson and Artimus Pyle and former guitarist Ed King who now make up the present-day Lynyrd Skynyd along with Ronnie Van Zant's brother, Johnny Van Zant (vocals), and the other newest band members Ean Evens (bass), Rickey Medlocke (guitar), Michael Cartellone (drums), Dale Kranz Rossington (backup vocals) and Carol Chase (background vocals).

Lynyrd Skynyrd today is still a great band and they deserved their right to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They were the greatest Southern Classic Rock band in my opinion and still are today. Not many bands could have done what they did. Congratulations to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

cefasnacht
04-05-2006, 06:55 PM
i don't feel like reading that, but i agree with the title...but i think bands like Blackfoot, Little Feat, **** like that are just as good, but don't get the credit they deserve because of skynyrd over shadowing the genre!

KingBrendan5149
04-05-2006, 06:58 PM
i don't really know what the point of this is exactly...... but whatever.

Skynyrd is great. i'm going to see them live in August. if they can do a concert that was half way as decent as the rock and roll hall of fame show, i'll be a happy camper.

Guitar344
04-05-2006, 07:08 PM
For some reason i just felt like showing my appreciation towards lynyrd skynyrd. Im a huge fan and they really deserved that induction. you have to read it to get what exactly i mean.

Cptbeefheart
04-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Skynyrd really did deserve to be indiucted. They deserved to be inducted the first time they were on the ballot.

cefasnacht
04-05-2006, 07:28 PM
i agree they should be in the hall...but let's be honest, their performance at the induction wasn't that good! (tho most of that seemed to be the fault of the sound guy for the mixing of it) but i saw them 2 years ago in hershey, pa....and i was dissappointed, i think i'd rather listen to "Another one from the road" than go to another one of their shows, unless the allman bros. are playing their too (which happens with some frequency) then i'd definitely go

Guitar344
04-05-2006, 08:05 PM
i greatly agree with cefasnacht, but i was talking specifically about the classic lynyrd skynyrd back when they were the best in the seventies before the plane crash. the lynyrd skynyrd today is..meh...if it werent for the allman brothers i wouldnt of spent my share of the money to go see them play last year. they allman brothers were great when i went. they blew skynyrd out.

get-born
04-05-2006, 08:44 PM
very nice, we can use that for the band bios, i would make one on zeppelin but, NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

distilledspirit
04-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Great band! It's such a shame about that plane crash man, butthey picked up where the others left off.

TheWhiteAlbum
04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
FREEBIRD. One of my favorite guitar solos ever.

blues_rocker
04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
FREEBIRD. One of my favorite guitar solos ever.

Agreed

Guitar344
04-05-2006, 09:58 PM
very nice, we can use that for the band bios, i would make one on zeppelin but, NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is there any way i can post it on band bio...?
im kinda new here so i dont really know and that is what i was hoping to be able to do

distilledspirit
04-05-2006, 10:07 PM
is there any way i can post it on band bio...?
im kinda new here so i dont really know and that is what i was hoping to be able to do

I think you'll have to think it out a little bit more. It's a good one, but not really enough for the band bios thing.

Guitar344
04-05-2006, 10:11 PM
yeah i would have to agree i didnt put my best effort forward on it.. it only took me like ten minutes. but thanks you have given me an idea...whenver i get the energy to remake it.

ufossuck
04-05-2006, 10:59 PM
ZZ Top is far better than Lynyrd Skynyrd.

telex289
04-05-2006, 11:23 PM
allman brother will always be better.. lynyrd skynyrd has been dead for over 20 years.. boring.

Guitar344
04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
better than the present skynyrd, yes. better than the classic skynyrd back when they ruled, no.

Guitar344
04-06-2006, 10:15 AM
allman brother will always be better.. lynyrd skynyrd has been dead for over 20 years.. boring.
and again, better than the present day skynyrd, yes. better than the classic skynyrd, no.

Wilber
04-06-2006, 01:11 PM
They are Talented, but I'm sorry, Most, no, all of their songs suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gabuydachk
04-06-2006, 04:45 PM
they're good, but I always liked the Allman Bros. better

TheWhiteAlbum
04-06-2006, 07:43 PM
ZZ Top is far better than Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The original and current lynyrd skynyrd could blow away zz top and the allman brothers any day.

TheHeartbreaker
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM

Amen.

The Brothers always have been, and always will be the kings of Southern Rock. Even with all the deaths and line-up changes, the band has been able to create some of the greatest music and musicians in history.

koddawgg
04-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Love the paper man. Good job

PatrickJR
04-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Simple Man is an awsome song!

rx_eb
04-19-2006, 06:11 AM

just because they're not as good at the momment and that makes them boring?

shut the **** up you ****ing retard

haha you're banned already

VoodooChild15
04-19-2006, 11:20 AM
I much prefer the Allman Bros. I find myself skipping around a lot when I listen to Skynyrd, whereas with the Brothers I can listen all the way through.

AICriff008
04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I agree, the Allmans blow Skynyrd out of the water (though I enjoy classic Skynyrd quite a bit), I think that the ABB has a much larger selection of good songs and albums, not to mention some of the most amazing live shows in rock for the past like 30-40 something years. The current LS lineup with Johnny Van Zant just isn't the same. Much more country rock oriented than southern blues rock like they used to be. Not to mention the fact that they've kind of taken the whole "southern pride" thing to the extreme.

On a side note, I read somewhere where Ronnie Van Zant was even quoted as saying that he'd rather Skynyrd just be considered a rock band than a southern band. MCA just pushed the whole "southern confederate" thing with the flag.

Freebird759
07-22-2006, 05:05 PM
(to the thread starter) AMEN!!

skynyrd is the best and always will be no question. i love the allman brothers and all but skynyrd did more in their 4 years recording than the allmans did in all their albums, no dissrespect to duane allman, gregg allman, and dickey betts

VR05
07-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Allmans FTW!!!!!

TheHeartbreaker
07-23-2006, 10:28 PM
The current LS lineup with Johnny Van Zant just isn't the same. Much more country rock oriented than southern blues rock like they used to be. Not to mention the fact that they've kind of taken the whole "southern pride" thing to the extreme.

On a side note, I read somewhere where Ronnie Van Zant was even quoted as saying that he'd rather Skynyrd just be considered a rock band than a southern band. MCA just pushed the whole "southern confederate" thing with the flag.

Yeah, I totally hate the "Southern pride" ****. I mean, I don't mind people who are proud of being from the South, but I hate people who are like, "The South will rise again!", "Damn Yankees!", and stuff like that.

Basically the Southern redneck trash.

VR05
07-23-2006, 10:52 PM
^ Good, Point

I saw Skynyrd live this summer, Johnny is way to into it, he sorta needs to take a chill pill with the whole Southern Pride, they even had a backdrop with the Confederate Flag behind the stage, although I got nothing against it, theyre just taking it to an extreme.

TheHeartbreaker
07-23-2006, 11:01 PM
I saw them with The Allman Brothers Band two years ago, and even though I live in the South now, I'm originally from New York (which has it's share of rednecks too), but Southern rednecks are, to me, much more obnoxious because of the Southern Pride idea.

Johnny wasn't really over obsessive with it, but the crowd was, and the drummer (at the time at least) was aa guy from Ohio.

He waved a Confederate flag around for a few songs, but he wasn't too pushy with it.

jimmypage7
07-24-2006, 01:30 AM
thank you, now i don't have ta say it

TheHeartbreaker
07-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't think that Skynyrd is "boring" - they put on a good show when I saw them, but they definetly aren't the same.

They've become, as we've stated before, more proud of "The South", and they tend to wave Confederate flags around and stuff like that.

Musically they aren't bad, but in comparison to the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, they aren't as good.

If you ever get the chance to see them live, listen to One More From the Road afterwards and you'll hear a difference. :)