Shred in Unlikely places

PDA

View Full Version : Shred in Unlikely places

PooKoo
04-05-2006, 09:38 PM
K i was bored and just wondering, where is the oddest place youve ever heard some loverly shreddin?

I mean, as in, it can be a place where you heard a shred song (i.e. For the love of god playing in your supermarket :p: ), it can be a song you did not expect to have shredding in at all (Bad pop music with pg on guitar maybe?), or a concert/band/person at guitar center you did not expect to be shreddin, whatever, be creative.

Anyways, bad 80s music videos and B.B. king for me.
I was watching vh1 classic, and lots of old 80s dance tunes had some bitching crazy guitar work in it, and somewhat tasteful too. Also the outtro solo to Twilight zone by golden earring, dunno if its guitar or keyboard, but ive copped a few licks from it.

Also, when i saw bb king with bobby blue bland, bobbys guitarist warmed up with some sweet fast jazz licks, and a fair bit of sweep picking, and not just typical arps. Not really shred, but we all like jazz here, so it was pretty cool, considering he was so clean.

Also, random odd punk bands, especially japanese ones, tend to throw shred into their songs, or at least maidenesque harmonies.

apocalypse13
04-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Someone I don't know wore a Vai shirt to my school several times last year if that means anything.

But I don't think he goes to our school anymore.

gaspasser88
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't want to say "emo," but I will anyway...

Some gay emo band was playing at my school's talent show, and right at the peak of their song's homosexuality, the guitarist started shredding.

Also, not really shred (at all), but Kerry King was in some Sum 41 video.

telex289
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
The Power Rangers Theme!

PunxRckr
04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
I was with this girl and she was always wearing **** like "underoath" and "Fall out boy" and then she had some crazy shred song with a good song.

OtisB Driftwood
04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
the song from pulp fiction by dick dale

PooKoo
04-05-2006, 10:15 PM
well dick dale is teh ****tttt

JkHalen
04-05-2006, 10:16 PM
um...I saw C.C. Deville playing guitar on "Surreal Life" on VH1 about 15 minutes ago and he ain't that bad...I was actually quite impressed :)

Reemster
04-06-2006, 03:39 AM
(i.e. For the love of god playing in your supermarket :p: ).

Believe it or not, this actually happened. :D I work ( part-time, I'm still in school) as a manager in a supermarket, and I found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the songs on the radio. Pop music is one thing, but hearing the same songs three times in four hours made me bring some cd's and play them there. For the love of God was one of the songs.
I also played some Symphony X ( Inferno) there once, but that didn't work out that well with the customers... (" Welcome to the Anarchy.." Very appropriate lyrics :D ) So back to pop music it was :p:

Talking about the radio: one other cool thing was that I heard a Sun Caged song on a radio station, accompanied with a Marcel Coenen interview. Cool stuff. :)

mr_clapton
04-06-2006, 03:41 AM
uh we were watching an alcohol video in pe class and satch came on and nobody knew who it was but i was sitting there similing to myself pitying those weak fools

perpetual shred
04-06-2006, 05:35 AM
i heard far beyond the sun in a pub

Stratwizard
04-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Well, I heard Steve Vai saying "Hello, this Steve Vai and you're listening to Radio Helsinki" on radio a while ago. I was pretty freaked out!

Resiliance
04-06-2006, 06:56 AM
When I worked at a theme park and suddenly Colorado Bulldog came blasting through the theme park speakers.

flamencogod
04-06-2006, 12:55 PM
bobejaanland?

that would be awsome!

I wash dishes in a restaurant and me and my brother always bring our own music so that would be vai/satch/dragonforce/helloween/sonata arctica

\m/heavy metal kitchen\m/

pavan
04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I heard Cliffs of Dover in a mall recently

blues_rocker
04-06-2006, 03:11 PM
For a project we had to make a video, and when we were making it I didn't realise how loud my music was in the background, so through the whole thing you could hear Cliffs of Dover in the background. It was actually pretty funny because most people were listening to the music more than they were paying attention to the project :p:

psychodelia
04-06-2006, 03:18 PM
That song "Get Down Tonight" or whatever by KC and the Sunshine Band has a clean guitar at the beginning that was a little faster than I expected.

stiff-upper-lip
04-06-2006, 04:08 PM
in some Cafe Del Mar song, Entre Dos Aguas. jsut downloaded their best of and to my knowledge and from past listenings theyv been all trance and dance, but this track is some spanish guitar stuff, had some pretty phat ass picking in!!!

apocalypse13
04-06-2006, 04:22 PM
hehe I heard a commercial for the Yngwie concert I went to on a local station.

TheUltimateSin
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
K i was bored and just wondering, where is the oddest place youve ever heard some loverly shreddin?

I mean, as in, it can be a place where you heard a shred song (i.e. For the love of god playing in your supermarket :p: ).

While it wasn't at a supermarket, I heard that song playing at an auto repair shop I walked by while I was out walking around the town. I stopped and leaned against the entryway just listening until the song was over. The guys working kept looking over at me and giving me weird looks.

AngilasGuy
04-06-2006, 06:12 PM
The Power Rangers Theme!

Haha hell yea I learned that song.

Gabuydachk
04-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Pulse of the Maggots - Slipknot
Stricken - Disturbed

any nu-metal that has some form of "faster" playing

PooKoo
04-06-2006, 07:43 PM
ok ill throw in another that everyone should know about, vinnie moores old pepsi commercial.

apocalypse13
04-06-2006, 09:36 PM
What about that commercial with Brad Paisley and Kermit the Frog?

Brad Paisley is much better than you guys think.

Axegrinder#9
04-07-2006, 12:54 PM
can't beat this: in Joel Schumacher's movie adaptation of "Phantom of the Opera", during the title track towards the climax of the movie - I suddenly heard some dated cheesy shred licks. I was like "Wtf?!"

Master Of Shred
04-07-2006, 12:58 PM
can't beat this: in Joel Schumacher's movie adaptation of "Phantom of the Opera", during the title track towards the climax of the movie - I suddenly heard some dated cheesy shred licks. I was like "Wtf?!"

Phantom of the Opera? You mean Andrew Lloyd Webber? In that case it isn't that weird ;)

Webber is imo 1 of the 2 best composers of last century (next to Oldfield), check out his rock opera movie "Jesus Christ Superstar"

Great great music, great vocals as well :)

The lyrics are written by Tim Rice in JesusCS, who also wrote a few other classics like Lion King and stuff like that :)

I highly recommend this movie, check it out guys :D

PooKoo
04-07-2006, 01:20 PM
ack i cant stand the lion king.

Master Of Shred
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
:eek: :eek:

I :heart: Lion King

Jesus Christ Superstar is rock, nothing like Lion King, but LK is pretty amazing as well if you ask me :)

Hakuna Matata owns :D

PooKoo
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
nah i like the music, im just anti disney (cept toy story, i <3 toy story).

Not exactly religious but if the musics good ill check it out.

Master Of Shred
04-07-2006, 02:30 PM
well I don't even know if the storyline is "correct", they have probably followed parts of it, but changed it as well.

I don't have a religion neither, but that doesn't really matter, even if you don't know anything about religion you'll still understand this movie, mainly because they won't go in detail much, only how Judas "betrayed" Jesus.

Music is good? The film=music.

I pointed out that it was a rock opera didn't I? In case you don't know, in opera's every word in sang/sung/sing or however the grammer works with that :p:

apocalypse13
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Well, I haven't seen the film, but I've heard the song Gesthemane (I Only Want to Say.) It's pretty fockin sweet, one of the best vocal tracks I've heard. (It's Ian Gillan)

psychodelia
04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Brad Paisley is much better than you guys think.

If he's the guy who was featured in Guitar Techniques, then he's pretty good yeah.

saxaxe
04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Eric Sardinas did a beer commercial. And not quite shred, but on MTV, during a special about Aaron Carter, Windowpane by Opeth was in the background

Freepower
04-07-2006, 05:32 PM
For some bizarre period of my life, "More than Words" kept coming on in shops audio systems, and i lost a lot of friends after i killed them for not knowing who Nuno was.

saxaxe
04-07-2006, 05:34 PM
^ :haha

apocalypse13
04-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Eric Sardinas did a beer commercial. And not quite shred, but on MTV, during a special about Aaron Carter, Windowpane by Opeth was in the background
roflcopters

Opeth + Aaron Carter?? :haha :haha :haha

ridder
04-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I wasn't expecting that mad solo in beat it by good ole mj...

NevermorePsalm
04-07-2006, 08:22 PM
ehh...maybe the best it's gotten is like The All American Rejects. It was mos def not shred, but the little guitar solos were much better than expected. Ill freak out now and then when Mr. Big comes on with the old love song. (the bass is so freakin awesome in that song if you listen hard enough...well, atleast compared to most other stuff on the radio)

saxaxe
04-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I wasn't expecting that mad solo in beat it by good ole mj...
Its EVH.

Master Of Shred
04-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Well, I haven't seen the film, but I've heard the song Gesthemane (I Only Want to Say.) It's pretty fockin sweet, one of the best vocal tracks I've heard. (It's Ian Gillan)

:no:

I Only Want To Say is one of the worst songs, well it tells a lot, but the vocals are a bit meh.

And I was talking about the '73 version with Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson, not that new rippoff :no:

Jakeylee111
04-08-2006, 08:17 AM
For some bizarre period of my life, "More than Words" kept coming on in shops audio systems, and i lost a lot of friends after i killed them for not knowing who Nuno was.

Shame its the worst Extreme song ever. Be better if it was something like Play With Me or Its a Monster.

I wish good music was actually played in shops instead of that hip-hop or pop. :(
It would be brilliant to hear something like Symphony X being played.

ridder
04-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Its EVH.

Yea i did realise that, but the fact that its in an mj song is the unexpected part...

Godly Moose
04-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I once heard Blackstar at a childcare center. No joke.

bobtrack
04-08-2006, 10:30 PM
I was going to work (concession at a big arena) and it was a Hilary Duff concert. As I'm walking to my concession I hear a familar song I turn around and her guitar player is playing Eruption.

Beckerism
04-08-2006, 10:45 PM
I was going to work (concession at a big arena) and it was a Hilary Duff concert. As I'm walking to my concession I hear a familar song I turn around and her guitar player is playing Eruption.

No wonder he was hired to play for Hilary Duff. He can play the hardest guitar solo in the world.

Godly Moose
04-08-2006, 10:58 PM
No wonder he was hired to play for Hilary Duff. He can play the hardest guitar solo in the world.

Your sarcasm scares me. :haha

Beckerism
04-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Your sarcasm scares me. :haha
:p:

numbfig09
04-09-2006, 12:00 AM
ehh...maybe the best it's gotten is like The All American Rejects. It was mos def not shred, but the little guitar solos were much better than expected. Ill freak out now and then when Mr. Big comes on with the old love song. (the bass is so freakin awesome in that song if you listen hard enough...well, atleast compared to most other stuff on the radio)

its Billy Sheehan....of course the bass is good

he plays with Vai alot now

Scorzerci
04-09-2006, 07:29 AM
http://espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe.html
if you scroll down a bit and look at the left you'll see hillary duff's guitarist!

pavan
04-09-2006, 07:33 AM

dude, andy timmons played for olivia newton john. greg howe played for some boy band - i think 'n'sync. Satriani and Lane themselves played in many pop bands in their time.

Resiliance
04-09-2006, 08:34 AM
^Greg Howe toured with N*Sync and has toured with Michael Jackson for over 10 years.

pavan
04-09-2006, 08:54 AM
^ These rich kids never get it, do they?

Resiliance
04-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Aye :(

Beckerism
04-09-2006, 10:30 AM
WTF? Greg Howe did? :haha

apocalypse13
04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
yeah. lol

slashnmash
04-09-2006, 02:30 PM
A group of us were at a friends house chilling out, then someone changed the channel to the hits and ther was Zakk wylde playing a guitar solo. However it lasted about 20 seconds and was part of ozzys new song.

mustardman
04-09-2006, 06:25 PM
satch boogie is in problem child 2 in the food fight scene.

VaiSatchLaiho
04-09-2006, 08:49 PM
While I was at a piano recital, one of the guys went up there and played Master of Puppets (yes, that's right) instead of what he was supposed to play. I guess it's not exactly shred, but it was still kind of funny to see the look on the judges faces.

Witch-king
04-09-2006, 08:56 PM
satch boogie is in problem child 2 in the food fight scene.

That's a good example.

TimmyPage06
04-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Thing is.. all those crappy players for pop princesses. Or shall I say, people who play for crappy pop princesses are usually rather good. They are hired as session musicians. Look at John 5, consider for a moment the kinds of bands hes famous for... Hes sessioned for K.D. Lang and whatnot because his country licks are amazing.

Andy Timmons is a great guitarist, and has really played around alot as a session player. If you looked hard enough you could find plenty of modern musicians who hes sessioned for..

That's my dream, to be a session player..

PooKoo
04-10-2006, 05:55 PM
wow you went onto about 20 different tangents and ended somewhere completely irrevelent.

However, it was fun to read andtry and make sense of.

slashnmash
04-13-2006, 12:42 PM
While I was at a piano recital, one of the guys went up there and played Master of Puppets (yes, that's right) instead of what he was supposed to play. I guess it's not exactly shred, but it was still kind of funny to see the look on the judges faces.

on piano :eek: or guitar

apocalypse13
04-16-2006, 11:40 AM
:no:

I Only Want To Say is one of the worst songs, well it tells a lot, but the vocals are a bit meh.

And I was talking about the '73 version with Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson, not that new rippoff :no:
Oi!

I just found his post, I looked for it when I saw your uploads in the upload thread. It's the only song I've heard...

And I haven't seen either movie...

psychodelia
04-16-2006, 11:45 AM

I've always thought metal would be fun to play on the piano.

apocalypse13
04-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Piano is fun...

Harmonic Minor scales on piano kick more ass than tacos.

tombo32
06-06-2006, 08:30 AM
A couple of weeks ago I was watching some Italian song contest. I didnt understand any of it, I just watched it because I was board.

So anyway, there was this girl singing a ballad with two middle-aged guys. So I'm thinking "Yeah its arverage" & "I could sing in Italian better than that", then one of the guys gets up and grabs an Ibanez Jem and starts rockin' out. Then at the end he started shredding.

The Jem was awsome. It looked like the 10th anniversary Jem:
http://www.guitarmaniacs.de/html/users/schroeder69/jem10.JPG

But it had the triangular symbol that is on the UV777:
http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/images/Inventory/Guitars/Other%20Electric/Ibanez_UV777_eye.jpg

http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/images/Inventory/Guitars/Other%20Electric/Ibanez_UV777.jpg

P.S sorry for bumping such an old thread, I just though the Italian guy with the Jem was interesting...

wasp2020
06-10-2006, 05:56 PM
The Strokes - Vision of Division

It's not exactly super-impressive, it's really a lot of legato with pedal notes (sorry, that was horribly explained), but still, I wasn't expecting it.

Izz
06-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Shred in schools seems to be kind of an unlikely place?

tombo32
06-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Shred in schools seems to be kind of an unlikely place?

Pffft. Not my school.

One of my teachers even organised a school G3 band.

chase09
06-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Pffft. Not my school.

That would be...fucking awesome! :headbang:

splice
06-10-2006, 10:59 PM
tombo were u in it?

tombo32
06-11-2006, 10:01 AM
tombo were u in it?

No :(

But maybe next year...

splice
06-11-2006, 02:01 PM
my algebra teacher put on some joe satriani during a test once...

hes freakin awesome though.....im buying his fender fat strat from him for 100 bucks

PunxRckr
06-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Another oen from me. I playued at a carnival and the deal was that we had to play more popular songs at the start and our stuff at the end. So we played a few Avenged Sevenfold songs. but This is at a Carnival. Then we told all of the kids that we were going to play the Charlie Brown Theme Song. My Drummer had a piano and played it. but then i came in with my guitar and added a few licks to it. Some kid started crying and my Teacher's kids ran away. Not at how bad it was but the fact that we completely metalled up a kids' tune. I was proud of it though.

Abby123456
06-13-2006, 04:58 PM
We was in school, and watch a video about some crazy children who were hypo cause theyy had the wrong diet or something, and Suicide Messiah came on, pretty unexpected really

~1954~
06-14-2006, 06:34 AM
I once heard some Satch on TV as backing music for an ad for Toilet cleaner or something...

ferretman
06-14-2006, 07:40 AM
I know it isn't really shred but that solo in Final Countdown by Europe really took me by surprise. (I had never heard of Europe before and did not know they even had a decent guitarist in the band). Plus it is one of the cheesiest, poppiest songs ever.
And the solo by EVH in Michael Jacksons Beat It.

Scorzerci
06-14-2006, 11:56 AM
^ Beat it is the most kickass pop song ever created!

capt_dammit
06-16-2006, 02:37 PM
i heard some satch on the radio about 2 weeks ago. thats about it...

Reemster
06-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Pffft. Not my school.

Remind me to apply for a job there... :cool:

Although it's not quite shred: I accompanied my friends to a discotheque a few weeks ago, and the DJ suddenly played a dance version of Smoke on the water from Deep Purple. Now you must be thinking: sacrilege! - heresy! - and things alike, but to be honest, after the amount of noise I had endured up to that point it was actually a welcome remix ;)

Resiliance
06-16-2006, 03:47 PM
^Someone with a life :wtf:

Stratwizard
06-16-2006, 03:59 PM
^Life? You talking about guitar and Shred Forum?

Reemster
06-16-2006, 04:13 PM
^Someone with a life :wtf:

Oh sorry, what gave me away? " Friends", or " discotheque" maybe? Or was it the "job" part? Maybe I'm more of a guitar player in disguise; the Vanilla Ice comparison was easily made, you know... :p:
Anyway, don't worry if you're wondering about my loyalty to the guitar and the SF: I play the guitar more and visit the SF more with each passing day ;)