What speed

PDA

View Full Version : What speed

radiantmoon
04-05-2006, 11:52 PM
\ok shred is the art of playing extremely fast right?well what speed defines when you are shredding? in bpm? :confused:

TheUltimateSin
04-05-2006, 11:54 PM
No. There's more to it than playing really fast. I can't wait for Resi to see this.....Or apoc...or PooKoo..or Beckerism.....along with the rest of the regs...

This will be settled soo enough :)

radiantmoon
04-05-2006, 11:58 PM
No. There's more to it than playing really fast. I can't wait for Resi to see this.....Or apoc...or PooKoo..or Beckerism.....along with the rest of the regs...

This will be settled soo enough :)

I seriously cant wait either because I really dont have a clue about shred, im a blues player. Im just getting into people like vai and gilbert and wanted some clarity. So your saying its not about playing fast. So I could play at 20 bpm and I could be shredding?

killfrog
04-06-2006, 12:01 AM
shreding is not a specific speed. sure its sometimes playing fast but there is no speed qualification to be able to shred. and you dont just get up and learn it. you pracitce like normal and soon you will be able to play like that naturaly.

TheUltimateSin
04-06-2006, 12:04 AM
I seriously cant wait either because I really dont have a clue about shred, im a blues player. Im just getting into people like vai and gilbert and wanted some clarity. So your saying its not about playing fast. So I could play at 20 bpm and I could be shredding?

No, I'm saying there is more to it than just playing fast. But, being more educated in the field than I, one of the regs will be able to explain it far better than I could.

Beckerism
04-06-2006, 12:04 AM

If you can play some blues, you most likely can shred.

radiantmoon
04-06-2006, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=Beckerism]If you can play some blues, you most likely can shred.[/QUOT

how do you figure. the blues i play is mostly quite slow. so is shred playing fast melodicaly??

flesh fries
04-06-2006, 12:29 AM
i think he got blues mixed up with jazz....i do it all the time haha

Beckerism
04-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Perhaps. :p: But what I really mean is, any genre that isn't pop-punk incorporates some form of shred. Shred is just technique. Anything can be shred. 5nps can be shred. Ah, I suck at explaining these things.

perpetual shred
04-06-2006, 05:56 AM
shred is when the notes sound like they're bleeding into each other (but they're not its just the sheer speed) and everything becomes a mess of technical proficiancy over the other genres. its like "showshwshwishiwhim whissh ...waaahgahgah" if you catch ma drift?

Stratwizard
04-06-2006, 06:39 AM
IMO it's not that much about speed, but complexity and techniques.

Matt_Malmsteen
04-06-2006, 06:52 AM
I figure shred is more about technique than speed.
But also I see it as being able to shred is being able to play well without the boundaries of speed and things that would usually make you struggle with playing....if that makes any sense.

Erc
04-06-2006, 07:36 AM
As previous members stated, shred is just technique, or playing "difficult" or "technical" musical phrases.

Being a shredder means you're technically proficient on your insturment. What BPM does it start? Hell if I know, but didn't the forum decide awhile back it was somewhere at 8nps ^_^

Resiliance
04-06-2006, 07:39 AM
I suppose the best way to describe it is some degree of virtuosity on an instrument... Doesnīt have to be speed.

So in effect being a shredder means you arenīt prohitibted by technical bounderies.

Diamond Dave
04-06-2006, 09:22 AM
I suppose the best way to describe it is some degree of virtuosity on an instrument... Doesnīt have to be speed.

So in effect being a shredder means you arenīt prohitibted by technical bounderies.

nice explanation

blues_rocker
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shred_guitar

So basically shred is focusing on technical proficiency.

Master Of Shred
04-06-2006, 10:05 AM
shred = instrumental rock/metal guitarists/keyboarders, who basically take technique to "another level" as far as rock guitarists go.

That's it imo, McLaughlin/De Lucia/Lagrene all no shredders if you ask me.

So this isn't shred if you ask me:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1706222139992068852&q=rosenberg+trio&pl=true

fleabass
04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
\ok shred is the art of playing extremely fast right?well what speed defines when you are shredding? in bpm?

this thread has been done a milliion times before, your an idiot

cliff_em_all
04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
shred = instrumental rock/metal guitarists/keyboarders, who basically take technique to "another level" as far as rock guitarists go.

That's it imo, McLaughlin/De Lucia/Lagrene all no shredders if you ask me.

So this isn't shred if you ask me:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1706222139992068852&q=rosenberg+trio&pl=true

:O that vid awesome.

shredfan
04-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Everyone seems to have a different definition of shred, so there isn't one definitive answer to what's classed as shred or not.

But for me shredding is just fast and generally technical playing. It has to be clean and controlled- not just tensing up and vibrating your arm as fast as possible, playing poorly synchronised, simple, one string patterns There's no specific tempo where shred starts (64th notes at 60bpm would definitely be fast enough for shred).

I don't like to classify guitarists as 'shredders' because the speed your playing at doesn't really change your genre.

Paul Gilbert and Allan Holdsworth can both shred, but classifying them both simply as shredders is a pretty inadequate description IMO.

apocalypse13
04-06-2006, 04:34 PM

Well most shredders have significantly more skill than guitarists from other genres. Most can also play at face melting speeds. But there certainly is a line. For example:

MAB = Fast, not technically difficult, just very fast passages
Greg Howe = Kick your ass theory and improv, combined with ridiculous amounts of technical skill.

Greg Howe would pwn him all over the place, despite the fact that he wouldn't play fast all THAT much. But they're both "shredders."

SlashHammett
04-06-2006, 05:29 PM
wtf??? MAB not technical?? have u heard any songs other than No Boundaries?

apocalypse13
04-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Yes, he's not THAT technical. Most of his stuff is really simple to play slow. He just plays it really fast.

Fast and technical are two COMPLETELY different things.

Gabuydachk
04-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I look at shred as a style, not a genre
there's shred in fusion, metal, rock, etc.
it's about technical profiency

JimmyStradlin33
04-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeh i agree with that because you get guys like Satriani Vai who are probably described as rock and guys like Shawn Lane who are fusion etc so it's more a term to define the style rather than the genre. On the subject of shredding in the blues, the closest thing i know to that is Stevie Ray vaughn which can get pretty quick only nowhere near as quick as Michael Angelo type thing.

pavan
04-06-2006, 06:27 PM
why is it so so so important to define shred and what speed is shred and so on?
if you like something, fine.

Master Of Shred
04-07-2006, 01:46 AM
wtf??? MAB not technical?? have u heard any songs other than No Boundaries?

He doesn't play really hard licks you know, sweeps/3 nps licks. Only quite fast, haha

flamencogod
04-07-2006, 12:25 PM
shred to me is fast playing on a guitar...

to me it is nothing more than that. I hate the label shred anyway. I'd rather be remember for writing just one good song than being remember for playing 20 nps...

perpetual shred
04-07-2006, 01:50 PM
to shred the guitar imo is to play very fast, to play shred as a genre is alot more about techniques ect. you know what im gettin at...

Sprice
04-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Since i am also a blues/shred player i think of blues as being more technical like playing the blues in different modes rather then just using the blues scale goin up and down it i mean sure Vai and Satch and Gilbert and all those other guys use the blues scale because basically thats they first scale everyone learned how to solo with (well for me it was) that or the minor pentetonic which is basically a blues scale without the notes that make it a blues scale....sooo sure playing fast is one thing then we get into legato playing and sweeping and arpegios and modes and pitch axis theory(which by the way is a great thing to learn) and blah blah blah so everyone thinks of shred differently thats why is so hard to classify shred as a grenre sure we know what it sounds like is that because its supposed to sound like that...well yes and no i think of shred as being just very creative with your playing no strings attached and thats what you have to think when it comes to playing "shred" basically playing with no strings attached but with a creative mind so it just doesn't sound like your playing a chromatic scale up to the 12 fret and back down sure you can do that but you still have to pay attention to what key your in so in other words "shred is what you make it to be"

Hot Pants
04-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Shred is a noun, the genre of course. It does not imply fast playing.

However shred can be a verb, i.e "to shred".

People can sometimes misunderstand when people are asking about shredding the verb. they think they are talking about the noun. However it is not offensive to talk about the verb shredding as fast playing, because thats what it is :D

That question is rather like asking, "How large is a tree" or "How long is a wang".

Its hard to answer because there is no definitive point at which you are shredding.

RustyGold
04-09-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't know but what I do is play something at 100 bps...initially. Once I get that down, then I speed up.

mr_clapton
04-09-2006, 02:02 AM
^ x2 did he just compare shred to the size of someones wang?

i somehow find that a little funny and ironic

gapster
04-09-2006, 04:44 AM
shred to me is fast playing on a guitar...

to me it is nothing more than that. I hate the label shred anyway. I'd rather be remember for writing just one good song than being remember for playing 20 nps...

lolz.does fame really matters?

Master Of Shred
04-09-2006, 04:48 AM
I missed the "fame" point in his post....

NevermorePsalm
04-09-2006, 02:39 PM
you know, writing something everyone likes, but that really doesnt imply fame. I think shredding is and always will be taking your instrument to another level, not constricted by the boundaries of what is socially expected in your intruments musical field.

apocalypse13
04-09-2006, 03:48 PM
*cough*resi'ssig*cough*

ILoveHarmonics
04-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Since i am also a blues/shred player i think of blues as being more technical like playing the blues in different modes rather then just using the blues scale goin up and down it i mean sure Vai and Satch and Gilbert and all those other guys use the blues scale because basically thats they first scale everyone learned how to solo with (well for me it was) that or the minor pentetonic which is basically a blues scale without the notes that make it a blues scale....sooo sure playing fast is one thing then we get into legato playing and sweeping and arpegios and modes and pitch axis theory(which by the way is a great thing to learn) and blah blah blah so everyone thinks of shred differently thats why is so hard to classify shred as a grenre sure we know what it sounds like is that because its supposed to sound like that...well yes and no i think of shred as being just very creative with your playing no strings attached and thats what you have to think when it comes to playing "shred" basically playing with no strings attached but with a creative mind so it just doesn't sound like your playing a chromatic scale up to the 12 fret and back down sure you can do that but you still have to pay attention to what key your in so in other words "shred is what you make it to be"

That's the longest sentence I read today.

slash_620
04-19-2006, 01:15 PM
why is it so so so important to define shred and what speed is shred and so on?
if you like something, fine.

Aye, reminds me of somehting i learnt in English class.

We were studying MacBeth, and my teacher said that there are scholars at famous universities that get together at conventions to argue wether MacBeth was a tradgey or a *something i can't remember*. End.of.story. Wasn't as exciting as i thought it was...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/what_genre_of_article_is_this.html

A very good article on the purpose of genres.

xxdarrenxx
04-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Shred is supposed to be technically fast no standard kirk hammet wankage but most of the time over the top

it's just like if a band rocks (blues can rock although it's not rock evan jazz kan rock you know)

the same with shred if you listen you know when it's shred and when it's not(when you listen shred).

It's also been used as using alot of notes on the most possible places on the neck
(Or in Michal angelo batio's way 1 of his 4 necks)

xxdarrenxx
04-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh yeah you also have bad and good shred so basically everything played super fast is considered shred if'it's clean played or not.

Caressing Death
04-22-2006, 07:31 AM
I always believed Shred to be a genre rather than a technique. Shred isn't based around speed but speed is contained in shred. Shred has a mixture of elements that make it. these include:
1. Melody (being the most important but the one that isn't utilised as much)
2. Accuracy (although this probably shouldn't be in here 'cause it's taken for granted)
3. Speed (nothing to say about this)
4. Techniques (every shredder has their own mixture of techniques. Paul Gilbert has a mixture of alternate picking, string skipping and can use a pentatonic scale to its full shred potential, etc...)
5. Sub Genre (shred is a genre but like rock, metal, etc... it has other sub genres in it. These include Neoclassical shred, Shred Metal, Jazz Fusion shred, etc...

I'm sure I could think of more things if I tried but here's a general idea of what I believe shred to be.

Resiliance
04-22-2006, 07:50 AM
:golfclap: