Be in a band or give up

PDA

View Full Version : Be in a band or give up

roast
04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
So, my band has disbanded. I have given up guitar, but the drummer and bassist i was in a band with have found a different lead guitarist, and want me to play rythm and sing with them. I feel that if i play with these guys, i have betrayed my friend. Also, with my origional band, we decided we should find a separate singer, but now this new band want to get me to sing, as they think im up to the job. I really dont know if i want to continue playing. Has anyone got advice?

becker009
04-06-2006, 01:35 PM
dont give up guitar! wtf is wrong with you?!
i dont know about the whole joining the new band thing, but just do what you really feel like doing. about betraying your friend, if he is your true friend, then he should understand. that is, if you have the right intentions

roast
04-06-2006, 01:50 PM
I have the right intentions. The problem is, this new band is exactly the style i love, metal, nu-metal and grunge, but when i was with my friend, we played chili peppers and mellow stuff, which was awesome, and it was great playingf with him, but the problem was that i really wanted to be in a metal band. I dont want to give up, but it seems like the right thing to do. My friend had an audition with a band, which im sure he passed, but if he didnt, then i dont want to form a new band. Oh christ, im stuck in a rut....

thesumoftwo
04-06-2006, 02:21 PM
i think your worrying too much, your other band obviously disbanded for a reason, and the other guy obviously isnt too worried about the old band forming new bands seeing as hes gone off to an audition.

If this is the music you love then do it, thats what music and guitar is all about, enjoying yourself.

o and what the hell is a slap guitarist?

ghost_blues
04-06-2006, 02:24 PM
and the other guy obviously isnt too worried about the old band forming new bands seeing as hes gone off to an audition.

i was told to play metal or get kicked out. wtf do you expect me to do?

roast
04-06-2006, 05:12 PM
^^Ghost, i didnt say that. How did the audition go?

ghost_blues
04-06-2006, 05:15 PM
^^Ghost, i didnt say that. How did the audition go?

i didnt even go yet, the other guitarist couldnt make it so we called it off till next week

roast
04-06-2006, 05:18 PM
That sucks. Joanne wanted to start a band with shelly, but joannes lead and now she wants me to play and sing, right after i ****in gave up. Now i havnt a clue what to do.

ghost_blues
04-06-2006, 05:25 PM
That sucks. Joanne wanted to start a band with shelly, but joannes lead and now she wants me to play and sing, right after i ****in gave up. Now i havnt a clue what to do.

sure your well able to sing, i think you should do it

roast
04-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Man, i dont think i can sing at all. I dont have the balls to sing on a stage. Its fine singing at home with a mic and a computer, but singing on a stage....**** me pink, i dont think i can.

MidEvilDeath
04-07-2006, 03:06 AM
give up guitar, thats what im about to do too.

Dan Steinman
04-07-2006, 03:35 AM
bands aren't about loyalty, they're collaborations of artists. joining a band is not betrayal, it's just working with other people. think of it like that and tell that to anyone who feels betrayed. if you really can't sing and don't want to learn, there's not much point in forcing it just cuz a band wants you to. remember, there will always be other musicians. keep looking untill you find the ones you can work with. if you still live at home, wait till you get out of the house, it'll be much easier to find bands/musicians.

roast
04-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Im sure i could have worked with the old line-up, and im sure that i can work with the new one, im just not sure which is better. Ill be honest, i can sing, (at least, i think i can, im not sure....) but i dont think i have the nerves to go on a stage and sing.

mr. cool
04-07-2006, 09:51 PM
how did you feel about playing in front of people the first time? nervous i bet.

singing is the same way but maybe worse cause for a reason i cant quite finger people are more sensitive about their voice then their playing (maybe its cause its part of you). the point is that even if your this nervous now give it a shot atleast ask people if your a good singer (and be presistent cause there are many people who dont want to offend) and ask your band if they say your good enough then well you are and just go for it. besides singers get more poontang.

roast
04-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Hmm, a bit of nookie isnt really what im after....but it cant hurt! ;)

Yep, i was dead nervous, i stared at the floor. Hell, i even hate having to talk to a crowd. I had to say a prayer from the alter at a funeral recently, and i started shaking and my voice went all soggy.....luckily people just thought i was mourning.

red star
04-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I know its hard but if you are going to sing on stage, go balls out! Dont hold back! If you do this, than the crowd will have a great time and they'll love you. They wont think about how your voice sounds if your having a good time with it. Dont give up guitar either. Even if you dont play it in your band anymore you should still play it for songwriting purposes. As for which band to go with, im not so sure

buckethead101
04-12-2006, 10:39 AM
bands aren't about loyalty, they're collaborations of artists. joining a band is not betrayal, it's just working with other people. think of it like that and tell that to anyone who feels betrayed. if you really can't sing and don't want to learn, there's not much point in forcing it just cuz a band wants you to. remember, there will always be other musicians. keep looking untill you find the ones you can work with. if you still live at home, wait till you get out of the house, it'll be much easier to find bands/musicians.

yep that's right. It's all about meeting new people. I'm planning to form an extreme metal band in my place. I'm going to invite some of my headbanging friends to form this band. :headbang:

PaperStSoapCo
04-15-2006, 11:01 PM
dont worry about it and dont give up, do want you want to do. if you dont think music is your thing then do what makes you happy. but ill bet you that music makes you happy. thats why you are on this site! just play... be professional and not a puss-bag. have fun, thats what its all about