first gig (i guess)

PDA

View Full Version : first gig (i guess)

gdm09
04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
ok, this band im getting together is playing the song "you're beautiful" by james blunt at our school talent show. you have me playing an easy chord progression, this awesome piano playing girl playing the piano, a girl drummer, and possibly another guitarist. i have a couple of questions. we dont really have a drum tab or anything for the song, but when you listen to it, you can tell its easy. how should we figure out the drum tab? should we just make one up, or find a better drummer to help figure it out and teach our drummer or what? also, the show is in about 6 or 7 weeks. will we have enough time to practice? and finally, i might be singing it. does anyone have any tips for stage fright? (this is the first time ive ever played my guitar in a large group, plus this is the first time ive ever sang in front of a large group) thanks! :cool:

ass
04-06-2006, 05:27 PM
listen to the song and get a drummer to play a similar beat, all it needs is just a steady beat all the way through like most songs

Ive done this song for performance class at college we had 2 guitars, bass, drums and vocals and it worked well

rockgodtobe
04-06-2006, 05:32 PM
I'd just make one up if i was you, no-one will really tell the difference.
And just be confident with your singing and guitaring. Often, smaller groups of people you know, are harder to play to than big groups of people, so just dont worry.
6 or 7 weeks is plenty of time to practice, as long as eveyones fairly confident with their own parts.
If your worried about stage fright, one of the best things you can do is busking, or just playing your guitar in the street, or just anywhere in public, ( just nowhere too busy).
Im sure it'll all go fine n' dandy, good luck with it.

gdm09
04-06-2006, 06:31 PM
thanks rockgodtobe, and "ass", how did your bass go? can you tab it for me, or is it just the bass note of the guitar chords?

psychodelia
04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Your drummer should be able to figure out the beats, it's good practice. Most drummers I know listen to recordings to get their beats, and if they can't exactly nail it they can do something similar.

As for stage fright with singing get used to singing into a mic if you haven't already. Last year was the first time I sung into a mic and I initially wasn't happy with the sound of my voice. It can sometimes take a little getting used to.

Know your vocal part cold, and don't forget breath support. Also, you probably won't be able to see the audience too clearly, so it's not always that hard to forget about them (unless they're loud).

z4twenny
04-07-2006, 06:22 PM
yup just practice it alot and get everything down to a 'science' also try practicing in front of friends and family and stuff like that to get used to other people watching and listening and slowly invite more people over til yer jam space is packed body to body and everyones getting down w/ yer tunes....

Dan Steinman
04-09-2006, 08:59 PM
yup just practice it alot and get everything down to a 'science' also try practicing in front of friends and family and stuff like that to get used to other people watching and listening and slowly invite more people over til yer jam space is packed body to body and everyones getting down w/ yer tunes....
This is definitely a good way to get started performing, especially getting some songs down SOLID so you won't screw up or have confusion among the band members. That can get ugly.

Guitar_Dude777
04-19-2006, 07:44 AM
are you ****in kidding me? I'm doing that song tonight too!!!

~~cemetary~~
04-21-2006, 06:29 PM
DON'T LOOK AT THE CROWD
they taught us this in dance...look past them or at a spot in the back of the room.
figure out what your doing and practise until your confident enough you don't need sheet music (duh)
if anyone in the group wears glasses or contacts, don't wear them on stage
and remeber,
they came to see you
no one cares if you stagger a line(unless it sounds like your ****ting up a pinecone)

rockminister
04-23-2006, 12:17 AM
play your own stuff

Dan Steinman
04-23-2006, 04:20 AM
if anyone in the group wears glasses or contacts, don't wear them on stage
ok, that makes no sense whatsoever. what, are you to afraid to even see the audience? don't be afraid of the freaking audience. you're supposed to connect with them, duh. maybe for a first performance to combat stage fright, but you can't just ignore the crowd. perhaps you mean the stage lights glare on them? well, they don't to any noticeable extent. look at eric clapton, he wears em onstage.

~~cemetary~~
04-23-2006, 01:04 PM
ok, that makes no sense whatsoever. what, are you to afraid to even see the audience? don't be afraid of the freaking audience. you're supposed to connect with them, duh. maybe for a first performance to combat stage fright, but you can't just ignore the crowd. perhaps you mean the stage lights glare on them? well, they don't to any noticeable extent. look at eric clapton, he wears em onstage.

not like that! you can still connect with them but if you're worried about getting scareed on stage then don't wear them. unless you're blinder than hell, of course.