(Shredders, or whatever)

UnDarkGuitar
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Randy Rhoads, Alexi Laiho, Jeff Haneman

-Jeff
--Guitarist of Uncovering Darkness

PooKoo
04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
no idea. I guess becker, lane, garcia, django, my teacher, my bro evan, vai, marty, cooley, michael hedges, bach, this one classical new waveish dude whos name escapes me, greg howe, many others.

cant place just 3.

AngilasGuy
04-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen, Alexi Laiho, and Michael Romeo

Brendy_03
04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Dave Gilmour, Hendrix, SRV and then Yngwie

i know you said 3 but... so

sixstringz
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Angus Young, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, and Tony Iommi. (couldnt leave it at 3 either)

Master Of Shred
04-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Bireli Lagrene, Guthrie Govan and Django Reinhardt.

Freepower
04-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Muse, The Berzerker, Me.

But currently, Guthrie, Lane and Vai, as goes playing guitar. Still mostly me as regards making music. :)

Reemster
04-07-2006, 11:23 AM
3. Gary Moore, 2. Steve Vai, 1. Marcel Coenen

Godly Moose
04-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Vai, Lane, and Becker.

eXor
04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and Stevie Ray Vaughan (and Slash)

Johnljones7443
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Satch, Vai and Marty.

flamencogod
04-07-2006, 12:19 PM
well metalguitar (I hate the word shred) influences are:

1. paul gilbert
2. steve vai
3. jani liitainen

Axegrinder#9
04-07-2006, 12:51 PM
fairly difficult, but I guess these would be it, in no particular order, and I'm talking purely guitar influences:

1. Yngwie Malmsteen
2. Frank Gambale
3. Satch

pavan
04-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Steve Vai
Shawn Lane
Somerset Maugham

perpetual shred
04-07-2006, 01:40 PM
iron maiden
yngwie malmsteen
paul gilbert / racer x (not mr big)

Capasso
04-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Joe Perry, Slash, Page

apocalypse13
04-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Satch

Rock1986
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Neil Young, David Gilmour and Brian MAy

splice
04-07-2006, 03:46 PM
1.kurt cobain
2.billy joel armstrong
3.jimmy hendricks

but seriously i dk who my influences are yet....im big into rhoads and satch but ive not been playing too awful long

thetearsibleed
04-07-2006, 04:11 PM
1. eddie van fuc*in halen
2. slash
3. randy rhoads

:)

BlackViper
04-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Angus Young
Steve Vai
John Petrucci

slash_620
04-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Joe Satriani is my biggest influence because i know more of his stuff than any other guitar players.

Apart from him, Slash and Page are probably the guitarists i examine and learn from the most.

Beckerism
04-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Becker

Gilbert

Malmsteen

cliff_em_all
04-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Vai, Clapton, Vaughn.

Evil_Empire24-7
04-07-2006, 07:15 PM
1-John McLaughlin
2-Julian Bream
3-Jeff Beck
4-Leo Kottke
5-Michael Hedges
6-Allan Holdsworth
7-Michael Schenker
8-Pat Metheny

metalfan
04-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Paul Gilbert first, then Vai and Petrucci tied, then almost all the others mentinoned

Rikifeld
04-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Slash, Santana, Clapton

NevermorePsalm
04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Most likely I'd say at the mo

1. Lane

2. Govan

3. Rhoads or Dimebag

\m/CoBhC\m/
04-07-2006, 07:45 PM
deff kirk hammett <--------(reason i started playing)
alexi laiho
zakk wylde

how did they all get so amazing????oh **** they all took some kind of classical musicianship classes (cept zakk he took regular lessons)

JkHalen
04-07-2006, 07:59 PM
1-Becker
2-Petrucci
3-EVH

apocalypse13
04-07-2006, 08:01 PM
how did they all get so amazing????
You....

Are serious right?

They're not THAT technically impressive. No objection to your influences. You can be influenced by Kurt Cobain for all I care, but that doesn't change the fact that they would get their souls pwned by A LOT of guitarists on chops.

SGRocker0791
04-07-2006, 08:05 PM
John Petrucci
James Hetfield
Mike Amott

Erc
04-07-2006, 08:18 PM
1. The Oscar Peterson Trio
2. Guthrie Govan
3. Lane

*Flying_Blind*2
04-07-2006, 08:45 PM
- All of Motley Crue
- Johnny Thunders
- Mike Patton

Hey, doesn't have to be all guitarists

malmsteen61
04-07-2006, 10:10 PM
1.yngwie malmsteen
2.steve vai
3.johnny winter,SRV,rhoads,hendrix,john5 (theyre all tied)

SpIkE27Z
04-08-2006, 01:27 AM
You....

Are serious right?

They're not THAT technically impressive. No objection to your influences. You can be influenced by Kurt Cobain for all I care, but that doesn't change the fact that they would get their souls pwned by A LOT of guitarists on chops.
ahhhaa.. write a solo as beautiful as hammet's and see how that goes for you, let me know about that.

and laiho with COB is the most technical music around besides classical

Night_Lights
04-08-2006, 01:48 AM
ahhhaa.. write a solo as beautiful as hammet's and see how that goes for you, let me know about that.

lol kirks pentatonic wankery is far from beautiful. ill admit he has some good ones though, such as on The Struggle Within.

COB is piss easy on guitar! compared to metal bands such as Nile and Necrophagist who are also a bit neoclassically influenced methinks

Erc
04-08-2006, 03:18 AM

Hahaha, geeze that last line is SO sig-worthy.

But mine are already awesome, so someone else can have it.

But geeze dude you are a retard. CoB is definently NOT the most technical music around, its nowhere near. And since when was classical music the "most technical music around."

Hammet doesn't write "beautiful" solos. End of story.

Master Of Shred
04-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Wow hang on guys, some classical is waay more technical than pretty much all shred is (referring to Chopin and Paganini n stuff)

And most definatly all three, Wylde, Hammett and Laiho got their own style, which I respect, they all 3 have a lot of energy in their music and they can all play.

You can't deny that they can play ;)

Jakeylee111
04-08-2006, 08:43 AM
1. Marty Friedman;
2. Yngwie Malmsteen;
3. Alex Skolnick.

BMG_Skulk
04-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Tony MacAlpine...George Lynch...Yngwie Malmsteen

apocalypse13
04-08-2006, 10:48 AM

and laiho with COB is the most technical music around besides classical[/QUOTE] What, just use the same recycled pentatonic licks every song?

and laiho with COB is the most technical music around besides classical That was one of the most foolish remarks I have seen in the shred forum in a while. Like Erc said, listen to Necrophagist, Mohammed would slay Alexi. Not to mention most other shredders.

That said, I like all three. I enjoy their music and won't deny they have some great solos (I play the Master of Puppets solo all the time.) But, they aren't as good technically or theory-wise as you guys are making them out to be. You're just making asses out of yourselves.

Kurdt-Kobain
04-08-2006, 11:53 AM
My only influence is Kurt Cobain...Most people says he can't play guitar for **** but it's not true. He surely wasn't the best guitarist ever but he was probably the best to compose good simple songs. His lyrics where perfect too so RIP KURT COBAIN!

PooKoo
04-08-2006, 11:56 AM
leave before i piss on you, **** you man, go the **** away.

BBradyo
04-08-2006, 12:02 PM
John Frusciante
Flea (Michael Balzary)
Slash

apocalypse13
04-08-2006, 12:10 PM
^^^:haha :haha :haha

:haha :haha :haha

..............................:haha:haha:haha:haha

It's not a good idea to mention Cobain around these parts. Someone around here is gonna see that and rip you apart.

webaldo
04-08-2006, 12:44 PM
angus young, steve kidweiler, jimi hendrix

Izz
04-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Izzy
Slash
Dave Lepard

SpIkE27Z
04-08-2006, 12:59 PM
and laiho with COB is the most technical music around besides classical What, just use the same recycled pentatonic licks every song?

That was one of the most foolish remarks I have seen in the shred forum in a while. Like Erc said, listen to Necrophagist, Mohammed would slay Alexi. Not to mention most other shredders.

That said, I like all three. I enjoy their music and won't deny they have some great solos (I play the Master of Puppets solo all the time.) But, they aren't as good technically or theory-wise as you guys are making them out to be. You're just making asses out of yourselves.
I don't even know who that band is, but cob as a whole band is insanely technical. they're ALL amazing musically. they have 2 incredible genius guitarists, and a keyboard player who keeps up just as fast.

dude that last paragraph is retarded, that's what people are don't understand. how to use theory to make simpler amazing music. would you rather listen to fast arpeggios running all over, or listen to a Hammet solo? IMO, there's a part none of you understand. seriously, anyone could go into a tab/midi program and put in something to sound ridiculously fast and hence *technical* but it really wouldn't be

and believe me, I've been on the other side. for a while I decided if you didnt have shredder speed constantly in your music, you weren't talented worth being famous

now I think Kirk Hammet is underrated. he's made more amazing stuff than most guitarists. COB (I wont mention the other band, i dunno them, the one you said) has a ton of technicality in there music. metallica is a different kind of technicallity. seriously, do you say any bands like that make stuff as amazing as fade to black (no, not just the friggen intro solo all noobs are obsessed with, but the entire song)

i don't want to argue, but I thought like you once too. Thinking that technicallity is the only way to be..well, technical. ok that sounded retarded, but hopefully you can see what I mean by that after reading my post up untill here.

here, a more exaggerated example. pink floyd vs MAB

think about it.

oh and also, before you think I'm trying to turn you into some light simple lover, I'm totally not. I HUGELY love shred.

and also, I deffinetally know technical. I play violin (and a lot more than just your school orchestra...I'm in the youth symphony)

so, think about it.

Erc
04-08-2006, 01:26 PM
^ Kid you don't get it. is insanely simple and straight forward.. Its funny, go on www.youtube.com

Search Dream Theater, watch a video like Erotomania or The Glass Prison or anything really.

Oh btw this is Necrophagist playing live. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5601843099003202523&q=Necrophagist&pl=true

It originally was started as a solo project, Muhhamad played every insturment in their first CD (i forget the name), by the 2nd CD Epitaph they had a full-time band.

would you rather listen to fast arpeggios running all over, or listen to a Hammet solo? IMO, there's a part none of you understand. seriously

I LOVED that general statement. None of us understand anything about music even though you just tread into the this forum and thread out of nowhere and make asumptions. Oh btw I would rather listen to almost anything then Hammet.

Shawn Lane (and andy timmons)improv (Theres some fast arpeggioes in there!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEY64m4Y1J8&search=Shawn%20Lane%20andy%20timmons

Here is Kirk Hammet improv
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8916578642569432354&q=Kirk+Hammett&pl=true

Shawn Lane playing fast arps over hammet anyday

Oh and you totally don't get the idea of what technical is. Technical isn't what sounds "good." Technicality is just something thats difficult to play. No one said any bands were good because of technicality.

Master Of Shred
04-08-2006, 01:43 PM
No one said any bands were good because of technicality.

Really? :rolleyes:

psychodelia
04-08-2006, 01:46 PM
For shred influences, it'd be Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, and probably Becker.

I know Randy Rhoads wasn't the fastest guy out there but he did influence me a lot.

Master Of Shred
04-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Woah that sucks, the faster someone can play the better musician/guitarist he is, you know ;)

Resiliance
04-08-2006, 01:57 PM
It's funny how Kirk Hammett fans lack the brain capacity to realise his name is written with a double t.

SpIkE27Z
04-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Erc, you just have no idea at all, do you?

I understand ****ing technicallity, you ****ing retarded asshole. I know my ****, playing violin in a symphony doesn't teach my technicallity? listen bitch, classical is more durrTEECHHHCNICAL!11 than any of your likings

and I don't give a flying **** about the improv. Hammet can sit down and write AMAZING solos.

you guys are just missing the point on this whole technicallity issue.

go write a ****ing hammet solo. seriously. GO. TRY IT.

I LOVE SHRED. IM NOT SAYING HAMMET IS THE BEST SHREDDER. HE'S STILL AMAZING, IN DIFFERENT WAYS THAN ANY OF YOU EVER UNDERSTAND

and no, I'm deffinetelly not just a metallicazomgzor fanboy, at the slightest. for any band, at that.

canadianshred
04-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I understand ****ing technicallity, you ****ing retarded asshole. I know my ****, playing violin in a symphony doesn't teach my technicallity? listen bitch, classical is more durrTEECHHHCNICAL!11 than any of your likings

He likes jazz and thats just as or more technical than classical

:haha
He spelt Hammett wrong again

blues_rocker
04-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Clapton, Satch, Eric Johnson and SRV.

malmsteen61
04-08-2006, 04:25 PM

how can we write a hammett solo we arent kirk if i wrote a solo it would be considered a darren solo and personally i wouldnt want to try to immitate hammett hes not as good as everyone gives him credit for

haha you spelt hammett wrong :no:

CodySG
04-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Alexi Laiho
Michael Angelo Baito
Steve Vai

Baroque_and_Rol
04-08-2006, 04:37 PM
My only influence is Kurt Cobain...Most people says he can't play guitar for **** but it's not true. He surely wasn't the best guitarist ever but he was probably the best to compose good simple songs. His lyrics where perfect too so RIP KURT COBAIN!
We don't take too kindly to your type round har :no:

apocalypse13
04-08-2006, 04:43 PM
What, just use the same recycled pentatonic licks every song?OK you can FUCK YOURSELF because you're quoting your own DUMBASS remark and saying I SAID IT??? Go to hell.

I don't even know who that band is, but cob as a whole band is insanely technical. they're ALL amazing musically. they have 2 incredible genius guitarists, and a keyboard player who keeps up just as fast. Did I say COB weren't good? NO! I said I LIKED THEM. Are YOU making ELITIST assumptions? YES!

dude that last paragraph is retarded, that's what people are don't understand. how to use theory to make simpler amazing music. would you rather listen to fast arpeggios running all over, or listen to a Hammet solo? IMO, there's a part none of you understand. seriously, anyone could go into a tab/midi program and put in something to sound ridiculously fast and hence *technical* but it really wouldn't be So Kirk can probably improvise better than Greg Howe (someone who probably doesn't play much faster than Hammett most times) then can't he? :rolleyes:

and believe me, I've been on the other side. for a while I decided if you didnt have shredder speed constantly in your music, you weren't talented worth being famous Ok can you point me in the direction of the post where I said this? Because I don't remember that, I like A LOT of bands who aren't incredibly talented.

now I think Kirk Hammet is underrated. he's made more amazing stuff than most guitarists. COB (I wont mention the other band, i dunno them, the one you said) has a ton of technicality in there music. metallica is a different kind of technicallity.
I enjoy Hammett's music, AS I'VE SAID NUMEROUS TIMES! I guess you just choose not to read those parts of my posts.

seriously, do you say any bands like that make stuff as amazing as fade to black (no, not just the friggen intro solo all noobs are obsessed with, but the entire song)Does anyone else see the extreme irony in this statement? :rolleyes:

i don't want to argue, but I thought like you once too. Thinking that technicallity is the only way to be..well, technical. ok that sounded retarded, but hopefully you can see what I mean by that after reading my post up untill here.I see what you mean, it's just bullshit. I never said anything of the sort. Certainly there are bands that are more technical than others, but that doesn't make them better. (Here we have the same opinion, but you're probably too much of an asshat to see that)

here, a more exaggerated example. pink floyd vs MAB
think about it.
I can't stand Michael Angelo, looks like you're moronic plan backfired.

oh and also, before you think I'm trying to turn you into some light simple lover, I'm totally not. I HUGELY love shred.

and also, I deffinetally know technical. I play violin (and a lot more than just your school orchestra...I'm in the youth symphony)

so, think about it.Good for you. Keep it up. Seriously. :)
Too bad you don't bring that level of intelligence out in everything else you say...;)

malmsteen61
04-08-2006, 04:58 PM
^ BURN
i agree SpIkE27Z is a asshat

Skippy_McNutty
04-08-2006, 05:02 PM
1. Dime 2. Wylde 3. Vai

Resiliance
04-08-2006, 05:20 PM
^Ehm...

Firstly, technical depends on your own skills, so there is no objective scale of technicality. Also ... Chopin: not exactly guitar. Paganini: same.

Ahem... Decided to delete your post MOS? :p:

Erc
04-08-2006, 08:38 PM

and I don't give a flying **** about the improv. Hammet can sit down and write AMAZING solos.

I LOVE SHRED. IM NOT SAYING HAMMET IS THE BEST SHREDDER. HE'S STILL AMAZING, IN DIFFERENT WAYS THAN ANY OF YOU EVER UNDERSTAND

and no, I'm deffinetelly not just a metallicazomgzor fanboy, at the slightest. for any band, at that.

Aww, did I offend you?

Oh thats wonderful that you played violin too btw because I was classically trained in it also, along with piano. I played for 5 years and in every "recital" or "competition" sort of thing I got "excellent" rated playing. You are trying to have a competition on whats "more technical" with me. That's stupid. I win it anyways.

I disagree with this statement.
I know my ****,

You don't know your ****.

So is Hammett is amazing in a way we can't understand can we? Thats interesting... I just us shredders/fusion junkies just can't understand boring minor pent/natural minor wah pedal wank.

Oh, as a side-note, I listen to quite a bit of classical music (as I was brought up listening to a lot of that, and folk...but I don't like much fo

apocalypse13
04-08-2006, 08:54 PM
^agreed.

I guess we might have trouble writing ONE Hammett solo. But once we wrote one, we could just take all the patterns from it and use it in every other song. Then we'd have it covered.

;)

AWA
04-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Pixies
Smashing Pumpkins
Pink Floyd

DistortionDemon
04-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Does anyone realize Hammett doesn't even write the solos?

Hetfield writes almost EVERYTHING for Metallica. (Of course not the drum beats, but yeah...)

EDIT: Oh, Vai / Mars (Mick... kinda strange, yeah, but he made me want to play guitar so yeah) / and of course, DeMartini.

numbfig09
04-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Jason Becker, Randy Rhoads, Steve Vai

tombo32
04-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Paul Gilbert - helps me to make my petatonic stuff sound not-half-bad.
Eddie Van Halen - got me into tapping and using the Floyd Rose
Satch - got me into shredding
My teacher - Helping me to work on my chops and motivating me to play. And also giving me songs to transcribe.

And I somehow have a classical streak in me :confused:

Godly Moose
04-09-2006, 12:48 AM
OK you can FUCK YOURSELF because you're quoting your own DUMBASS remark and saying I SAID IT??? Go to hell.

Did I say COB weren't good? NO! I said I LIKED THEM. Are YOU making ELITIST assumptions? YES!

So Kirk can probably improvise better than Greg Howe (someone who probably doesn't play much faster than Hammett most times) then can't he? :rolleyes:

Ok can you point me in the direction of the post where I said this? Because I don't remember that, I like A LOT of bands who aren't incredibly talented.
I enjoy Hammett's music, AS I'VE SAID NUMEROUS TIMES! I guess you just choose not to read those parts of my posts.

Does anyone else see the extreme irony in this statement? :rolleyes:

I see what you mean, it's just bullshit. I never said anything of the sort. Certainly there are bands that are more technical than others, but that doesn't make them better. (Here we have the same opinion, but you're probably too much of an asshat to see that)

I can't stand Michael Angelo, looks like you're moronic plan backfired.

Good for you. Keep it up. Seriously. :)
Too bad you don't bring that level of intelligence out in everything else you say...;)

How the **** did you get away with a ****???

apocalypse13
04-09-2006, 12:56 AM
like this:

fuck

he he he...

NevermorePsalm
04-09-2006, 01:13 AM

Ok, your an asshat. Hammett (notice the T) can sit down and WRITE amazing solos? No, he can't. He can wank ****ty solos. I can do that, so I guess I can write a hammett solo. He's a good guitarist, I like his songs, but he's not amazing at all. Amazing is the extreme technicality found in Shawn's playing, all done in improv. Extreme technicality is Jazz, not Classical. I'm very fond of classical, I take classical lessons, as do I take Jazz lessons. Jazz is harder, you can suck my dick. Seriously, if you can't understand that the solo in Esperanto is better than a Metallica solo, your a faggot. Go learn the wonderful slippery thing, Mr. Classical Violinist.

RustyGold
04-09-2006, 01:21 AM
1. Malmsteen
2. Johnny La Marr
3. Johnny Greenwood

Almost forgot...Paganini ofcourse! I guess I like the "darkness" in his pieces, hard to explain...that's why I love neoclassical shred. :D

mr_clapton
04-09-2006, 02:22 AM
1. Hendrix
2. Vai
3. Guthrie

hehe been a while since a big flaming thread like this has happened :laugh:

kirkisking
04-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Petrucci, Loomis, Moore.

Master Of Shred
04-09-2006, 04:31 AM
He likes jazz and thats just as or more technical than classical

Not really...

pavan
04-09-2006, 04:37 AM
MOS seems to enjoy putting his feet in his mouth these days.
We get it man. You are a budding jazzhole.

Master Of Shred
04-09-2006, 04:43 AM
^Ehm...

Firstly, technical depends on your own skills, so there is no objective scale of technicality. Also ... Chopin: not exactly guitar. Paganini: same.

Ahem... Decided to delete your post MOS? :p:

Huh I didn't deleted it :confused:

Anyways, we where talking about classical and jazz in gerenal right? I was just giving a few examples, jazz might be a bit more complex as far as theory goes, but I can't think of any jazz virtuoso who can keep up with the greatest classical virtuosos as far as technique goes, and not speed. That's including Peterson and Lagrene.

Ok, your an asshat. Hammett (notice the T) can sit down and WRITE amazing solos? No, he can't. He can wank ****ty solos. I can do that, so I guess I can write a hammett solo. He's a good guitarist, I like his songs, but he's not amazing at all. Amazing is the extreme technicality found in Shawn's playing, all done in improv. Extreme technicality is Jazz, not Classical. I'm very fond of classical, I take classical lessons, as do I take Jazz lessons. Jazz is harder, you can suck my dick. Seriously, if you can't understand that the solo in Esperanto is better than a Metallica solo, your a faggot. Go learn the wonderful slippery thing, Mr. Classical Violinist.

First of all, I do like to hear you outplay Hammett then, I have heard a lot of peoples recordings on these forums and no one was anywhere near Hammett. (excluding a few ;) )

Yeah technique=amazing :rolleyes:

Seriously, you need to chill down, technique is most definatly NOT amazing if you ask me, and classical is more technical than jazz is, btw.

And what the hell has WST got to do with this? Lets hear you play it then :o

pavan
04-09-2006, 06:25 AM
and yet MOS goes on........

Master Of Shred
04-09-2006, 06:29 AM

That's just because I'm getting a bit annoyed by all the idiots in here, the number of idiots has pretty much doubled since april 2005.

TwistedLogic
04-09-2006, 07:17 AM
My influences are:
Ritchie Blackmore
Tony Iommi (mostly for sound / tone; listen to war pigs off Reunion tour and the last supper DVD. that is raw power)
David Gilmour
With honourable mention to Steve Vai, who I have been really getting into recently.

Harmonius
04-09-2006, 07:29 AM
In terms of shred
- Yngwie Malmsteen
- Jason Becker
- Marty Friedman

Resiliance
04-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Well MOS, to be fair, improvising hard lines in jazz is a thousand times more technical (to me) than just being a human xerox machine and doing what you've practiced a 1000 times before... Even if it is technical.

buckethead101
04-09-2006, 08:59 AM
hetfield, petrucci, korn

I need some groove of Korn, the machinegun-like riffage of Hetfield and virtuosity of Petrucci.

That's all I want.

apocalypse13
04-09-2006, 09:12 AM

That's just because I'm getting a bit annoyed by all the idiots in here, the number of idiots has pretty much doubled since april 2005.
So, "ZOMG I PLAY VIOIN I KNOW TECHNICAL I AM RIGHT LOL" isn't being moronic?

Master Of Shred
04-09-2006, 09:58 AM
^When did I said that he wasn't an idiot? :p:

Well MOS, to be fair, improvising hard lines in jazz is a thousand times more technical (to me) than just being a human xerox machine and doing what you've practiced a 1000 times before... Even if it is technical.

Of course, that takes skill, but it's rather theory and how to add in your in your playing, and it's more "overall musician" skill. If you ask me.

And I love your "human xerox machine" statements :haha

/new msn name :haha

PooKoo
04-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Huh I didn't deleted it :confused:

Anyways, we where talking about classical and jazz in gerenal right? I was just giving a few examples, jazz might be a bit more complex as far as theory goes, but I can't think of any jazz virtuoso who can keep up with the greatest classical virtuosos as far as technique goes, and not speed. That's including Peterson and Lagrene.

First of all, I do like to hear you outplay Hammett then, I have heard a lot of peoples recordings on these forums and no one was anywhere near Hammett. (excluding a few ;) )

Yeah technique=amazing :rolleyes:

Seriously, you need to chill down, technique is most definatly NOT amazing if you ask me, and classical is more technical than jazz is, btw.

And what the hell has WST got to do with this? Lets hear you play it then :o

can i outplay hammet? :p: i want bragging rights

Master Of Shred
04-09-2006, 10:24 AM
You already know what I'm going to say... :p:

Resiliance
04-09-2006, 11:09 AM
And I love your "human xerox machine" statements :haha

/new msn name :haha

Why is it funny?

Freepower
04-09-2006, 06:16 PM
The limits of technicallity are the limits of the greatest (known) players on the instrument. Paganini, Lane, Liszt, whatever. The genre is really irrelevant.

And resi, what about jazz lines? Its still all practiced fundamentals combining - very rarely have i ever seen someone play something with a new physical movement in it...

PooKoo
04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
yo fp, sorry to get off topic but what is the original recordings group? (id pm you but that requires clicking on things)

Resiliance
04-09-2006, 06:38 PM
The limits of technicallity are the limits of the greatest (known) players on the instrument. Paganini, Lane, Liszt, whatever. The genre is really irrelevant.

And resi, what about jazz lines? Its still all practiced fundamentals combining - very rarely have i ever seen someone play something with a new physical movement in it...

Yeah but it's not in an order you've practiced them. Heck, it's not even a sequence of notes in a certain order you've practiced. The execution of them has to be much more fluent in order to just be able to do it on the spot.

Freepower
04-09-2006, 06:38 PM
More "used to be" - a group in which all members simply promise to crit all other members work. Simple as. :) Mostly done through friendship, and i really should remove that because im not in R+R very much at all nowadays.

EDIT: ^ yes.

PooKoo
04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
eh, it actually sounds like a good idea.

kingal
04-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Petrucci, Malmsteen and Michael Romeo.

hmmm.... they're all shredders, that surely can't be good

Stratwizard
04-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Steve Vai

Greg Howe

John Petrucci

Stratwizard
04-10-2006, 09:48 AM
can i outplay hammet? :p: i want bragging rights

No, you can't.

TwistedLogic
04-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I forgot to mention Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden. I was watching the dvd Iron Maiden: The Early Years last night and was reminded of how awesome Smith is and how much my music and style is influenced by Maiden. Smith has a very effortless style about his playing, very similar to Blackmore in that sense.

narmi
04-10-2006, 11:40 AM
James Hetfield, Mikael Akerfeldt, John Petrucci

guywithaguitar1
04-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Frank Zappa
Steve Morse
Dimebag

Matt_Malmsteen
04-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I started off with all three Iron Maiden guys, Kirk Hammett and erm..Brian May.
Nowadays I'm more influenced by Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman and Joe Satriani, but the first three I said made me pick the guitar up really.

And that guy who said that he can shred because he can play violin is a ****stick, I can play violin but I can barely shred at all...twateye.

PooKoo
04-10-2006, 04:56 PM
No, you can't.

i know that, but id still rather listen to my music then his.

splice
04-10-2006, 06:42 PM
yeah i started playing guitar bc of the riff in "hells bells"

Rox0r713
04-11-2006, 04:26 AM
1. Yngwie J. Malmsteen
2. Dimebag Darrell
3. Kirk Hammett

ukdudeinuk
04-11-2006, 05:23 AM
Paul Gilbert
Marty Friedman
Dimebag Darrell

Im not sure other than those three.....

sylent
04-11-2006, 09:00 PM
steve vai
jimi hendrix
slash

SickMetal
04-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Chuck Schuldiner, John Petrucci, Nile

Not that I'm as good as any of 'em :p: , Naturally.

apocalypse13
04-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Nile pwns to the power of 6173467394697136479.

I LURVE them...

Karl Sanders is an absolute GENIUS.

Evil_Empire24-7
04-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Kirk hammett sucks balls

Rox0r713
04-12-2006, 04:52 AM
^So did Jimi Hendrix, but he still influenced a lot of people.

slash_620
04-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Kirk hammett sucks balls

Why does everyone hate Kirk Hammet? :confused:

HammerForce
04-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Jason Becker,Rusty Cooley and Michael Romeo
]
I think Kirk Hammet is so hated because, even though he's a good player, so many people consider him to be far far better than he actually is. He is quite sloppy, nowhere near as fast as anyone makes him out to be, and he tends to overuse pentatonics :D (not saying i could do much better though :()

Rox0r713
04-12-2006, 08:06 AM
^That's probably true. He is really good... Just not quite up to the hype, I guess. He still influenced me, and I still consider him great regardless. He has proven himself, so, blah.

NineInchNails_0
04-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Mark Knopfler.

splice
04-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Kirk hammett sucks balls

double meaning there.....

SickMetal
04-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Nile pwns to the power of 6173467394697136479.

I LURVE them...

Karl Sanders is an absolute GENIUS.
Damn right! :p: And Dallas Toller-Wade is just as good, if not better, Karl just has most of the tunes. \m/

Gabuydachk
04-13-2006, 07:40 PM
no clue

apocalypse13
04-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Damn right! :p: And Dallas Toller-Wade is just as good, if not better, Karl just has most of the tunes. \m/
I wish I knew egyptian stuff half as good as them. It's sooooo cool. You can't beat it.

Tech-Death + Pwnage Egyptian Scales

SickMetal
04-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Hell yeah.

On the Nile forum though, Karl Sanders posted the scales that Nile play in some bulletin. I don't post there, but apparently he does, should be worth checking out. I think it's nilechat.net. Someday I'll get around to learning all of them :p:

Here it is:

"The Double Harmonic Minor, the diminished, 5th mode Harmonic Minor, Phrygian, The Byzantine, The Snake Charmer, Hirojoshi, Kumoi, Hungarian Minor all see lots of action."

apocalypse13
04-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Sweet I'll check it out.

ph3n0m
04-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Hmm... Vai, Satch, Cooley.

distilledspirit
04-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Yngwie, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads

satorik
04-18-2006, 11:57 PM
synester gates of avenged sevenfold kills the guitar other two r probly Randy Rhoads and Slash

Guitar_junkie
04-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Randy Rhoads, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith, and Tony Iommi. i got 4 sry

DiscipleOfEddie
04-22-2006, 02:32 PM
EVH, SRV, and Dimebag

bucky_2300
04-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Rhoads, Slash, Vai, Satriani, EVH, John Sykes.

Those are the people I've actually broken down licks from and analysed some of their techniques and elements of style.

HammerForce
04-22-2006, 04:20 PM
synester gates of avenged sevenfold kills the guitar
You would be right about that ......

bucky_2300
04-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Eww...an A7X fan. Honestly, what the crap is it these days with all the "new wave of metal" bands? They pretty much all suck. With most of them, they're either straight emo or some stupid "-core" genre. The way I see it, they've gotten halfway to where they should be - lead guitarists, check. Locking trems, check. Halfway-decent guitar solos, check. But they all have this weird thing with EMG pickups, huge amounts of distortion, and screamy vocals. Plus emo flops, or black nail polish in the case of Alexi Laiho. Yes Alexi, we know you can rip off a Bmin7b5 arpeggio at 240 BPM. But that doesn't stop you from being in a crappy band and ripping off Vai's whammy tricks.

I consider it my duty as a guitarist to form a band and set these whiny emo/metal/hard/emometal/hardemo/hardmetal-core buggers straight.

I'm done being opinionated now...

apocalypse13
04-22-2006, 07:20 PM
^Word.

If you're gonna try and be a heavy, ass kickin band, for God's sake DO IT!

COB's pretty good though IMO, hella better than A7X. Bands like them, Nevermore, Arch Enemy, etc should set the standards for modern metal.

Freepower
04-23-2006, 08:51 AM
And these guys, you shred obsessed elitists... :p: (http://www.theberzerker.com/FilmClips/Reality.mov)

Stratwizard
04-23-2006, 09:13 AM
^Berzerker. That video is teh pwnage. I love those guys!

Stratwizard
04-23-2006, 09:15 AM
^Word.

If you're gonna try and be a heavy, ass kickin band, for God's sake DO IT!

COB's pretty good though IMO, hella better than A7X. Bands like them, Nevermore, Arch Enemy, etc should set the standards for modern metal.

Well, COB is still considered as death (?) metal and A7X is that homoXcore, so it's pretty obvious that COB are helluva a lot better.

Freepower
04-23-2006, 12:29 PM
^Berzerker. That video is teh pwnage. I love those guys!

Third album is awesome. Some songs suck but others... other songs have some of the most destructive riff-drum combos i've ever heard. Just ignore the song titles...

And the masks are gone. :(

PooKoo
04-23-2006, 12:32 PM
eh not my thing.

Monkey36
04-23-2006, 01:44 PM
John Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, and Steve Vai

Stratwizard
04-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Third album is awesome. Some songs suck but others... other songs have some of the most destructive riff-drum combos i've ever heard. Just ignore the song titles...

Yes, finally. I mean, they look enough evil already without them. The album's amaziing! :D

trollblod
04-23-2006, 02:57 PM

Is it up to par with dissimulate?
I've only heard all about you, and it sucked :(

Freepower
04-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Yes, finally. I mean, they look enough evil already without them.

That's not the point! The point was the seperation from humanity... that and the fact the focus of the album was (speaking plainly here, from what i can gather) a nasty break-up...well, i had i my doubts. But still. The masks are rotting, what can you do?

And its certainly on par with Dissimulate, all about you is the most amazingly **** tune they've ever done, i have to skip it. Luckily, its a one off.

Seriously though, that song's about as heavy as an emo band's first single - and the title fits too. When you have double kick drums with samples that outgun the death star, your guitarist is happy at 330bpm, and your visage turns adamantium to water...well, if it sounds like pop you're doing something wrong.

Still, World of Tomorrow, Farewell, Afterlife, As the World Waits...definately up there with the best. Be warned though, the sound has changed a little, it doesnt sound like Reality, Deform, the classics. Still The Berzerker though. :)

Stratwizard, was it you i turned onto the berzerker or did you already know em? Someone i know i turned onto the berzerker for the first time...

apocalypse13
04-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, COB is still considered as death (?) metal and A7X is that homoXcore, so it's pretty obvious that COB are helluva a lot better.yeah fo sho.

But to the "?," they're usually considered Melodic Death Metal.

Death Metal's more like Nile, Morbid Angel, etc.

Stratwizard
04-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Stratwizard, was it you i turned onto the berzerker or did you already know em? Someone i know i turned onto the berzerker for the first time...

Umm... I've listened them for quite a while. Nice contrast to the more symphonic/melodic black metal. Damn, I wanna go to their gig!!

yeah fo sho.

But to the "?," they're usually considered Melodic Death Metal.

Death Metal's more like Nile, Morbid Angel, etc.

COB's most recent album is far from melo-death. It sounds more like thrash with some industrial elements.

TheI7ark
04-24-2006, 09:17 AM
1. Paul Gilbert
2. Buckethead
3. Shawn Lane

Freepower
04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Umm... I've listened them for quite a while. Nice contrast to the more symphonic/melodic black metal. Damn, I wanna go to their gig!!

I know someone, who knows someone who went to a glasgow gig on their last tour. Came back alive, but then, he's a hard bastard and 6 foot plus. :p:

Metalology
04-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Steve Vai, Michael Romeo and David Gilmour.

Stratwizard
04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I know someone, who knows someone who went to a glasgow gig on their last tour. Came back alive, but then, he's a hard bastard and 6 foot plus. :p:

Yes. Reads in Berzerker's website about the gigs: "This is not a musical event." :p:

ukdudeinuk
04-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Wow, I think Ill pass on any Berzerker concerts then, out of fear of being mauled. Hahaha..being a skinny 5'6 kid isnt very smart in that situation. Berzerker are amazing, although I cant listen to them for very long for some reason I tire quickly of it, its amazing nonetheless.

gtgram14
04-24-2006, 04:55 PM
For influences, Id say Petrucci, Gilmour, Hendrix. I thought hendrix was like the best guitar player ever until I heard a hendrix cover by yngwie, bought Rising Force and realized that I was an idiot. I still think Jimi has some serious mojo though. Gilmour's dynamics and slow melodic playing are just creamy, and I love Petrucci's melodic solos and compositions. As for the Kirk Hammett issue, alot of his solos sound like arranged noise, and compared to the really great players, his technique is crap... P.S. That guy from necrophagist is pretty nuts ...sick video, I had never heard any of their stuff.

apocalypse13
04-24-2006, 05:18 PM
^Muhammed is fukin awesome.

Ktulu Master
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I think my three main influences are Petrucci, Yngwie and James Murphy.

Very Honourable mentions go to: Chuck Schuldiner (RIP), Kirk Hammet, Dimebag (RIP), Dave Mustaine and Steve Vai.

Honourable metions go to: Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Alex Lifeson and Bill Steer

death to emo
04-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Dimebag Darrel, Randy Rhoads, and Kirk Hammet

Yeah

HammerForce
04-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Hmm I'd be quite interested to see the Berzerker- I'm only 5'10 but I'm 16 stone 7 and I was an International rugby player...I think I'd be able to survive.
Freepower, sorry if this is a noobish question but does their actually solo at 330 bpm?

Freepower
04-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Freepower, sorry if this is a noobish question but does their actually solo at 330 bpm?

Pah, SOLOING at 330bpm is for pussies. They play insane riffage through songs at 330. :headbang:

HammerForce
04-25-2006, 05:58 AM
^Fair enough I haven't heard very much of them, I just think the idea of seeing a band so heavy would be quite cool.

Freepower
04-25-2006, 06:22 AM
^Fair enough I haven't heard very much of them, I just think the idea of seeing a band so heavy would be quite cool.

Then listen to them, they rock. :)

HammerForce
04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
I'll give it a shot, if I can get hold of any, Limewire doesn't work on my Uni network, I think I can get torrents to but I'm not too sure about which ports are open....

Stratwizard
04-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Pah, SOLOING at 330bpm is for pussies. They play insane riffage through songs at 330. :headbang:

And all downstrokes.

Freepower
04-25-2006, 11:44 AM
And all downstrokes.

To be fair, massacre's 140. Course, its not exactly single string downstrokes. Bloody hard, you ever tried it?

Have you the dvd? Must-see!

trollblod
04-25-2006, 12:51 PM
^I got the dvd, the Makeing of the self-titled documentary is worth the money alone

man :p:, Sam (Bass) falls asleep alot in that dvd

Freepower
04-25-2006, 05:33 PM
And there's SOOOOOOOO much porn in the studio its unbelievable.

Its impossible to imagine that they didnt put more than blood, sweat and tears into that album. ;)

Sweetbabyjezuz
04-25-2006, 11:36 PM
1) Joe Satriani
2) Michael Romeo
3) James Hetfield (For Rhythem Parts hehe)

Stratwizard
04-26-2006, 06:19 AM
:haha This has turned into a Berzerker discussion thread!

Mike_Philippov
04-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Its hard to narrow it down to 3 but I know that my number one musical influence is Vinnie Moore. Also Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman

Mike.

Godly Moose
04-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Wait what was the topic again? lol

Stilo
05-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai and Synyster Gates.

gimme_fuel_89
05-02-2006, 03:16 AM
1. Mikael Akerfeldt/Peter Lindgren
2. John Petrucci
3. Kirk Hammett/James Hetfield

Why does everyone hate Kirk Hammet?

Yeah, bloody oath. He deserves way more respect than he gets around here.

EDIT: Also, why would you put MAB in your top 3 influences? High nps/technical ability should be one of the LAST things you consider. MAB is fast, and that's it.

PooKoo
05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Mab is excellent.

trollblod
05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
In no particular order
Mikael Åkerfeldt
Devin Townsend
Mike patton.
These three are the main influences on my musical output, Now for shredders (again in no particular order)

Muhammed Sucimez
John Petrucci
Ron Thal

Resiliance
05-02-2006, 11:48 AM
1. Mikael Akerfeldt/Peter Lindgren
2. John Petrucci
3. Kirk Hammett/James Hetfield

Yeah, bloody oath. He deserves way more respect than he gets around here.

EDIT: Also, why would you put MAB in your top 3 influences? High nps/technical ability should be one of the LAST things you consider. MAB is fast, and that's it.

Noone hates Kirk Hammett... Just most of his fans.

And dude, shut up about MAB... He's more than fast, just because you can't see it doesn't mean he isn't.

MetalDreds09
05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
1) Eddie Van Halen
2) Yngwie Johann Malmsteen
3)Luca Turilli

MorbidAngel333
05-02-2006, 09:41 PM
1. Zakk Wylde
2. Dave Mustaine
3. Alex Skolnick

voxdude26
05-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eddie Van Halen, Mark Tremonti.

stiff-upper-lip
05-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Satch
Angus Young
Santana

gimme_fuel_89
05-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Noone hates Kirk Hammett... Just most of his fans.

Lol, true. That makes it even worse........

And dude, shut up about MAB... He's more than fast, just because you can't see it doesn't mean he isn't.

I highly disagree. I can see that Shawn Lane is more than just fast.

Resiliance
05-03-2006, 07:25 AM
^Well you obviously don't know/care that he has a degree in jazz composition and each year at NAMM he plays some shweet jazzy stuff...

metal_man12
05-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I highly disagree. I can see that Shawn Lane is more than just fast.

can you? or are you just basing this off of what most of the people in this forum say...
also funny how everyone ignores the slower melodies mab has, like the theme for prog, or planet gemini.

fendermalmsteen
05-03-2006, 07:51 PM
ZZ Top
Joe Stariani
Jimmy Page

PooKoo
05-03-2006, 09:27 PM
can you? or are you just basing this off of what most of the people in this forum say...
also funny how everyone ignores the slower melodies mab has, like the theme for prog, or planet gemini.

dont talk without knowing. Many of us love mab, or at least i do.

apocalypse13
05-03-2006, 09:30 PM
I think he can be a wanker when he wants to be, but I've heard some pretty sweet stuff by him though.

metal_man12
05-03-2006, 09:30 PM

im not saying most people in the shred forum are biased, im just implying that the person i quoted might be...

gimme_fuel_89
05-03-2006, 10:22 PM

No, I actually have heard Shawn Lane play. I've also heard MAB play, and what I've heard (while not everything) is pure wankery.

Godly Moose
05-03-2006, 11:30 PM

I know, people need to listen to more then one song by MAB.

Stratwizard
05-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Don't judge MAB after listening just No Boundaries.

I Do For You is an amazing song, just like Planet Gemini.

PooKoo
05-04-2006, 06:53 AM
im not saying most people in the shred forum are biased, im just implying that the person i quoted might be...

i know, dont worry.

wil
05-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Hmm I'd be quite interested to see the Berzerker- I'm only 5'10 but I'm 16 stone 7 and I was an International rugby player...I think I'd be able to survive.

Im 6'2 and i weigh about 16 stone and i wouldnt go to one of those concerts...

My uni network wont let me use limewire or torrents which is a real bastard because the connection speed is unbelievable...

Id say my 3 influences are-
Gilbert
Vai
Hendrix

When im playing a rock solo, i cant help falling back into all the Gilbert stuff ive learned, when im doing amient stuff i ALWAYS end up doing some sort of Vai thing--think, I know Youre Here, Feathers, Boston Rain melody, tender surrender--and when im doin chords, i always end up doing Hendrix style slides, double stops etc--Castles Made of Sand, Little Wing, Angel, Wind Cries Mary etc...

Theres also quite a lot of SRV and Eric Johnson when i feel bluesy.

Freepower
05-04-2006, 01:48 PM

He's awesome, i almost cant see why people DONT like him, he's got it all, really...

Including a sense of metal-related humour.

apocalypse13
05-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Im 6'2 and i weigh about 16 stone and i wouldnt go to one of those concerts...
16 stone? :confused:

I'd go and I'm not that big. About 6'1 and 130 pounds. It can't be that bad. Just stay moving and maybe get on top of the crowd. As long as you stay moving and don't swing at someone, I think you'd be fine.

trollblod
05-04-2006, 02:51 PM
^ I'm 180cm tall and weigh 80 kg, and I got anahilated at a cannibal corpse show! :eek:
I would go to that show regardless, because it's teh berzerkah

bonchie1
05-04-2006, 02:52 PM
i know i'm asking to be flamed but the 3 guys who really got me interested in guitar are:

1. hendrix
2. stevie ray vaughn

and...yes yes i know...3. slash

the guy is nowhere near the best guitarist by any means but his stuff just got me going and made me wanta play guitar. of course now my eyes are open to so much more.

come on i know theres someone else with the slash skeleton in his closet

Stratwizard
05-04-2006, 02:55 PM
i know i'm asking to be flamed but the 3 guys who really got me interested in guitar are:

1. hendrix
2. stevie ray vaughn

and...yes yes i know...3. slash

the guy is nowhere near the best guitarist by any means but his stuff just got me going and made me wanta play guitar. of course now my eyes are open to so much more.

come on i know theres someone else with the slash skeleton in his closet

Why would someone flame you? Just because someone might not like them, they're still your influences.

Besides, Slash is brilliant. ;)

apocalypse13
05-04-2006, 03:06 PM
People get flamed for being ignorant asshats and saying that Slash is the best guitarist on the history of earth and if someone doesn't think so too, they're an ignorant moron. If you like him, that's fine.

wil
05-04-2006, 05:05 PM
16 stone? :confused:

I'd go and I'm not that big. About 6'1 and 130 pounds. It can't be that bad. Just stay moving and maybe get on top of the crowd. As long as you stay moving and don't swing at someone, I think you'd be fine.

i dont really think i look it--thats a pretty gay messaround photo but its the only recent one i have :( --but what i mean is, i know a lot of stuff about those type of concerts is hype, but i go to a concert to listen, not to be kicked/bled/puked upon--i dont have much of a temper so if some prick starts banging into me or bouncing off me id be liable to smack him one, then probably get killed by a bunch of psychos...THAT'S why i wouldnt go to one of those concerts.

Scorzerci
05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I've been in a "zombiecore(www.sendmoreparamedics.com)" pit and I was like 165 cm at the time and 55-60 kilos and I didn't have any problems at all, but I doubt they are anywhere near as heavy as the berzerker and it was just an opening act so nobody was really that interested in their music.

KurtCobain9898
05-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Kurt Cobain , Slash and Mick (SLipknot)

bonchie1
05-04-2006, 07:19 PM
People get flamed for being ignorant asshats and saying that Slash is the best guitarist on the history of earth and if someone doesn't think so too, they're an ignorant moron. If you like him, that's fine.

ahh i see. i've been a lurker for along time and i got the impression everyone hated him on this forum.

i don't think hes a top guitarist but he is a brilliant riff writer and i love his soloing even if it is raw and untechnically polished sometimes.

HedBanger24/7
05-05-2006, 12:49 AM
There are too many influences (big and small). But my top three at the moment would be Randy Rhoads, Dimebag Darrell, and Alexi Laiho.

Nirvana_rocks73
05-05-2006, 12:56 AM
I have sooo many... but I'll post the ones I love the most.

John Frusciante, Flea and John Paul Jones.

~Frussie

AmazinAzian014
05-05-2006, 02:17 AM
1. Slash
2. Joe Perry
3. George Lynch

gtgram14
05-05-2006, 04:38 PM
i don't think hes a top guitarist but he is a brilliant riff writer and i love his soloing even if it is raw and untechnically polished sometimes.

agreed

Pumpkin Pirates
05-06-2006, 01:04 AM
1.kurt cobain
2.billy joel armstrong
3.jimmy hendricks

but seriously i dk who my influences are yet....im big into rhoads and satch but ive not been playing too awful long

Well thats obvious, saying Kurt Cobain and Billy Joe are "good" guitarists is kind of lame; cobain is a great song writer, but i can learn mostly every Nirvana song in like 22 seconds. And, it's spelled Jimi Hendrix =)

For Me,
Jimmy Page, Randy Rhoads, and Stevie Ray Vaughan

PooKoo
05-06-2006, 01:32 AM
dude are you daft or what? its a JOOOOKEEEE

daaaamn. and im sick of people saying cobain was a great songwriter. HE was ****.
end of story. Not cause hes a bad guitar player, but cause his songs honestly were terrible, with terrible lyrics, no melody, and just terrible.

Stratwizard
05-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Yeah, well... With songs like that I don't wonder Kurt ended up killing himself.

call1800ksmyazz
05-06-2006, 08:23 AM
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. My friend
3. Eddie Van Halen

Slayer224
05-06-2006, 08:26 AM
1. Michael Romeo
2. Michael Angelo Batio
3. Kirk Hammett (he inspired me to start guitar)

mrmo
05-06-2006, 08:56 AM
AAAHH.... its really hard to just pick three! but since i have to:

1.Van Halen(he got me into more shred-like music)
2.Paul Gilbert(what can I say? Just AMAZING)
3.Yngwie Malmsteen(So F***ing clean, and my main influence in noe-classical)

Skrewdriver
05-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Jason Becker, Jason Becker and the Karate Kid.

Scorzerci
05-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, well... With songs like that I don't wonder Kurt ended up killing himself.

Amy_Lee
05-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Evanescence, A7X, Guns n Roses...far too many of them.

MorbidAngel333
05-06-2006, 04:57 PM
dude are you daft or what? its a JOOOOKEEEE

daaaamn. and im sick of people saying cobain was a great songwriter. HE was ****.
end of story. Not cause hes a bad guitar player, but cause his songs honestly were terrible, with terrible lyrics, no melody, and just terrible.

hey his guitar playing sucked but he was an excellent writer.
at least you like Pulp Fiction....

Scorzerci
05-06-2006, 06:40 PM

:haha you're funny!

hydriplex
05-06-2006, 06:49 PM
i play guitar, but i'm the singer for our band, so i'll list singing influences

maynard james keenan, corey taylor, and the original singer for soil

alabamajustin
05-07-2006, 01:29 PM
randy rhodes . angus young ..eddie van halen...... these guys rock

PooKoo
05-07-2006, 01:30 PM
hey his guitar playing sucked but he was an excellent writer.
at least you like Pulp Fiction....

nah dont worry dude i wont argue, arguing with opinions is like war, its stupid and gets nothing done.

so no worries.

Holy Joe
05-10-2006, 08:14 PM
3. Jerry Cantrell- Alice in Chains
2. Kurt Cobain- Nirvana
1.Angus Young- the all greatful never dying AC/DC[U]

Erc
05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
nah dont worry dude i wont argue, arguing with opinions is like war, its stupid and gets nothing done.

I could not disagree more with that statement.

PooKoo
05-10-2006, 09:09 PM
I could not disagree more with that statement.

if yer anti war i wont **** with you, if thats what you're saying.

And im sorry if that was at all offensive or whatever, in any case, all i want is peace :p:

but yeah, im too happy right now and i dont like arguing anyways.

or are you talking about arguing with opinions?

apocalypse13
05-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Damn hippie....

:p:

I'm not very anti war...

At all....

Vital remains
05-11-2006, 06:00 PM
michael ammot
Vai
jason becker

it went from inspirational guitar players to the war. thats a big step

ToBeAGooner
05-12-2006, 07:45 PM
3. Pat Metheny
2. Frank Zappa
1. Trey Anastasio

PooKoo
05-12-2006, 08:50 PM
^anastasio is sadly underrated.

Doubleday
05-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Really my only three influences are Eddie Van Halen, John Frusciante, and Mark Tremonti. All of them are great guitarists, but in different ways.

Jakeleigh1986
05-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Aldo Nova, Richie Sambora and Michael Schenker !!!!

VaiSatchLaiho
05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Alexi Laiho
Allan Holdsworth
Joe Satriani

joshjhasarrived
05-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Steve Vai
Ted Nugent
Joe Satriani

i_am_metalhead
05-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Adrian Smith, James Hetfield (yes the rhythm player of the band lol), and Tony Iommi

waylay00
05-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains (very good melodic sense), Vai, and my hometown's very own Shawn Lane

SpIkE27Z
05-20-2006, 01:53 AM
mine's changed.
1. Laiho.
2. Laiho.
3. Laiho.

Abby123456
05-20-2006, 01:35 PM
1)Tony Iommi
2)Zakk Wylde
3)Nuno Bettencourt

...God I wish we could have more than three! As we cant I'll give a mention to Vai, Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Randy Rhoads and Satch.

DirgeForTheSun
05-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Mikael Akerfeldt
Alex Lifeson
John Petrucci

rockergurl09
05-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Satch, Yngwie Malmsteen, Eddie Van Halen, John petrucci, kirk hammet, I know it's 5 but who cares

Izz
05-26-2006, 04:08 PM
mine's changed.
1. Laiho.
2. Laiho.
3. Laiho.

I feel sorry for you, Laiho is great, but maybe listen to something else than CoB?...

Mine are:
Izzy/Slash - as one unit...
Dave Lepard - guitarist of Crashdiet
Randy Rhoads

HammettHead
05-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Dave Mustaine, Kirk Hammett, Tony Iommi <--- The reasons I picked up the guitar.

Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai <--- The reasons I keep playing.

im_hungry
05-28-2006, 02:15 PM
1.alexi laiho
2.michael angelo
3.slash(reason i started):)

and others like malmsteen ect,

SpIkE27Z
05-28-2006, 03:12 PM
I feel sorry for you, Laiho is great, but maybe listen to something else than CoB?...

Mine are:
Izzy/Slash - as one unit...
Dave Lepard - guitarist of Crashdiet
Randy Rhoads
I do, but nowadays Laiho is by far the biggest influence in my playing.

hammet, malmsteen, others..

Jamie Sherwood
05-28-2006, 03:24 PM
brian may
jimmy page
trey anastasio

(also Dave Matthews)

ManiacLeo
05-28-2006, 03:28 PM
1. John Sykes
2. Michael Schenker
3. Yngwie Malmsteen

theusedsk8er
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
1.kurt cobain
2.billy joel armstrong
3.jimmy hendricks

WTF!?!!??!?! Jimmy Hendricks? every guitarist must be able to spell that..

its Jimi Hendrix :-P

anyway

1) Steve Vai
2) Randy Rhoads
3) Jimi Hendrix

-BobboHead-
05-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Alex Lifeson
Slash
John Petrucci

Garden_Gnome89
06-11-2006, 12:25 AM
1. Dave Mustaine
2. Dimebag
3. Vai

rocket queen
07-27-2006, 06:53 AM
salsh, joe perry, jimmy page, angus young

kirkisking
07-27-2006, 08:47 AM
The top 3 influences on my playing style are probably Marty Friedman, John Petrucci, and Buckethead.

Innovative shredders ftw!

im_hungry
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
yngwie , michael amott ,jason becker

mr_tremelo
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM
1. Metallcia
2. Steve Vai
3. Randy Rhoads

krymson
07-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Hetfield, Iommi, That guy from Diamond Head(lol)

SatrianiFreak
07-28-2006, 07:23 AM
1. Joe Satriani
2. Paul Gilbert
3. Steve Vai

Tadely
07-28-2006, 08:32 PM
1 Jimi Hendrix
2 Billie Joe Armstrong
3 This Guy I knew who played guitar (personal)

maidenrulz19
07-29-2006, 10:58 AM
1.Eddie Van Halen
2.Randy Rhoads
3.Slash

Tom Martin
07-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Mike Einziger
Matt Bellamy
Alex Cook

pantera_20
07-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Dimebag, Jimmy Page, Brad Paisley, and Chet Atkins.

Couldn't cut it to three either.

DiGiTaLiS
07-29-2006, 04:04 PM
jason becker
dimebag darrell
steve vai