Jack Johnson

PDA

View Full Version : Jack Johnson

Zamboni
04-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I realize there are many genres this guy could fit into, but I think he's a bit Indie/Folk-ish, so I'm gonna ask people's opinions on him.

I just bought On And On, and I absolutely love it. I don't think there's a bad song on it.

Opinions?

Andrewbiles
04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
He's good, but in small doses. I've always found that when listening to one of his albums its just like you've heard it all before so I get tired of them quickly, there's always some stand out tracks that are really good though.

Carlson-online
04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
hes a good artist to chill out to tho!

Zamboni
04-07-2006, 12:25 PM
hes a good artist to chill out to tho!
Yeah my thoughts exactly.

So chills man.

But I see what Andrew is saying, some songs do sound rather similar.

Cptbeefheart
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Some of his songs sound similar? All of his songs sound similar. Not saying i dont like him, i listen to him when I need to chill out. He is kinda like AC/DC, all of his songs may sound the same and have the same format, but they are still good.

j0nmcc
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
I think Jack Johnson is awesome. He's a great guy. Okay, yeah...sometimes his songs can be a bit repetitive but I think he is a great lyrcisit. It's ALL good. :)

Abe
04-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I dig Jack Johnson. It's impossible to work hard when a Jack Johnson CD is on - FACT!

I really liked some of the older songs, but I don't know the names, I really liked on thats probably called Bubbletoes I think, and the track after it.

But yeah, there's some good songs on the new one too.

silentsteeples
04-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Awesome.

KingBrendan5149
04-07-2006, 04:16 PM
ummm...... i guess i'll be the first to say that i really can't stand this guy. his music to me, is repetitve, boring and makes me want to take a nap.

busby_bass
04-07-2006, 07:12 PM
ummm...... i guess i'll be the first to say that i really can't stand this guy. his music to me, is repetitve, boring and makes me want to take a nap.

It's chill out music, to be taken in small doses as Andrew said.

I don't think it can stand up to repeated listening when your trying to get hyped up, it's the kinda music you lie back on your yacht listening to Pina Colada in hand.

Thinking about doing one of his albums for AOTW to get rid of The Tourist sitting there, any suggestions as to which is his best work ?

sponj
04-07-2006, 08:07 PM
dull

Cptbeefheart
04-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I personally think In Between Dreams is his best work.

Paint
04-08-2006, 08:10 AM
jack johnson is sweet.

if you guys like him check out the John Butler Trio...only JBT is sweeter and 'hip' and more indie flavored

bobjewell87
04-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I dig Jack Johnson. It's impossible to work hard when a Jack Johnson CD is on - FACT!

actually unfact! someone had it on in the kitchen at uni once and i got half an essay done.

i liked sitting waiting wishing, none of his others really appeal to me that much though. It's nice background music though

Abe
04-08-2006, 09:35 AM
actually unfact! someone had it on in the kitchen at uni once and i got half an essay done.

i liked sitting waiting wishing, none of his others really appeal to me that much though. It's nice background music though

My theory, defeated? :(

Ah well, it's a FACT that I can't work hard when it's on. :D Anyway, well done for doing half an essay to Jack Johnson, didn't think it could be done.

utsapp89
04-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I like the soundtracks he does more than the regular albums. There's some Jack on there, but only a few tracks, and the rest of the artists have that same laid back feel. Gives it more variety. I could listen to Thicker than Water all day.

Lukeisonfire
04-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Love him! Mud football and bannana pancakes good mellow acoustic songs. I like mellow stuff like that.

schitz
04-08-2006, 10:28 PM
The best thing about his stuff is I can take my clunker acoustic to the beach and play some of his songs. He's actually a shockingly talented artist, considering he's kind of a pop star. I have to take a break from time to time because my hand cramps up from all those barre chords. I don't see how he plays an hour long set of those songs every night.

leaping badger
04-09-2006, 05:20 AM
I like how laid back the songs are, but i imagine a lot of them are very similar

cangura
04-15-2006, 09:00 PM
I like his music. It's nice to chill out to. Nothing serious. My friends went to his gig and thought he was brilliant. I wanna see him live too!

Zamboni
04-15-2006, 10:50 PM
I have to take a break from time to time because my hand cramps up from all those barre chords. I don't see how he plays an hour long set of those songs every night.
No jokes, eh? Some of those progressions hurt after a while. And the slaps take a certain amount of coordination to play and sing to.

boxcarblink41
04-16-2006, 01:10 AM
^Yeah he's got the groove thing going on. I adore him. He music is simply fantastic. I don't think his songs all sound the same, it's just the audience becomes wearyof that slapping thing. It really isn't any different to a band using palm mutes. And I think he has one of the best voices in music today. It isn't that techincal and he doesn't have the a large range, but there's something about it that just makes you go wow.

pommegrenade
04-16-2006, 01:57 AM
Jack Johnson And Pete Murray Should Work On A Song Together I Reckon

boxcarblink41
04-16-2006, 07:11 AM
^They both use a Cole Clark Fat Lady. Like me.

pommegrenade
04-16-2006, 08:32 AM
yeh rock on Fat Lady!! Sweet cole clark guitars, so smooth so classy and so cool