Everyone listen to me play guitar!

PDA

View Full Version : Everyone listen to me play guitar!

Tom Martin
04-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Ok, so here it is, what you've all been waiting for (or not). It's a clip of me playing guitar.

This is not to be taken seriously, its me wanking away on my fretboard like theres no tomorrow. There is no melody, there is no structure, its me undoing what it took Satriani 20 years to build.

Freepower once challenged me to a slop-shred-off, here is my responce.

There are a couple of places where its not so clean, some open strings ringing out yada yada. Sue me. Oh, and the tone is awful, I'm playing through someone's crappy amp with crappy leads and recording using Audacity. End of excuses.

Click here to hear me play guitar! (http://tommmo.dmusic.com)

Enjoy! :D

EDIT: I forgot to warn you, don't click the link where it says "For The Love Of God (live)"... its the worst recording ever, the tone is terrible, the playing is sloppy etc (it was done about 2 years ago, give me a break).

curtis loew
04-07-2006, 06:07 PM
for the love of god sounds good. the other one sounds stupid. it sounds like a bunch of random notes

StreetHawk
04-07-2006, 06:12 PM
^^ that's exactly what he said. wankage.

i actually loved For the Love of God; the beginning at least; i like how you used the wah from the beginning.

apocalypse13
04-07-2006, 06:23 PM
well, no offense man but this'll probably be closed. It should be in the Ug's Attempted shredders thread or the Original Recordings Forum.

Tom Martin
04-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I disagree... the attempted shredders of UG is a video thread, and you may have noticed this is but a humble mp3. Also, I wouldn't exactly say this is a recording that would go down well in the OR forum, its a shred thing. And its not exactly 100% serious either.

apocalypse13
04-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I've put Mp3's in the Attempted Shredders thread and got plenty of response. I plan to put one up maybe later tonight.

Anyway, it's overall pretty clean, and pretty quick. Around 10-12 nps it sounds like, and great technique. You've got some pretty good chops, how long have you been playng?
Oh and very good legato btw.

Freepower
04-07-2006, 06:51 PM
That wasnt half as sloppy or fast as mine, biatch. :p:

Awesomely sloppy! The open strings used to end each phrase are genius. Not as cool as the tone, but almost.

cliff_em_all
04-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Hey, tom, can i have some info on BIMM please man?.

Anyway, i gotta post some wankage soon.

apocalypse13
04-07-2006, 07:02 PM
That wasnt half as sloppy or fast as mine, biatch. :p:

Awesomely sloppy! The open strings used to end each phrase are genius. Not as cool as the tone, but almost.
My sarcasm meter is in the red right now.

Tom Martin
04-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Ah yea... the BIMM thing. I got a PM from Freepower ages ago asking me about BIMM. I then spent about 20 minutes writing a really long reply about all the aspects of it here, and for some reason it crashed when I tried to send it. No worries I thought, so wrote it all out again, and again, UG crashed and wouldn't let me send it. I havn't been able to send any PM's for ages, so thats why I havn't got back to you guys about it! It's nothing personal ;) I'm in a good mind to create a thread about it tomorrow, I'll see what I can do.

As for the clip, yea I know it isn't as sloppy as it could be. The tone kinda makes up for it though :D And good call on the 10-12 nps, you are probably right, I can get my alt picked string skipping up to about 15 nps, so casually wanking like that its probably about 12. My alt-picking chops are pretty good, however as the clip shows, my sweep picking is terrible and my legato likewise. Just consider yourselves lucky I didn't put any tapping into it, that woulda been fun. *Note to self: for next slop-fest put in tapping phrase* I've been playing for nearly 9 years now.

So tomorrow I'm going to come up with an even sloppier clip, and a thread about BIMM. For tonight, I'm off to bed.

Freepower
04-07-2006, 07:11 PM
:headbang: Thanks. :headbang:

(more thanks)

apocalypse13
04-07-2006, 07:17 PM
shiate...

I don't think it was that bad. Your legato is excellent compared to mine.

cliff_em_all
04-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks tom! hey freepower, when you planning to go?

Freepower
04-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Coupla years away. Start of the academic year after next. Yerself?

NevermorePsalm
04-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Im going (hopefully) to BIMM also. But not for...like 5 years

Beckerism
04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Are you guys listening to the same FTLOG that I am? I thought it sounded like crap. It was too choppy, and did not flow together at all.

Andrewbiles
04-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I'll leave it up if you want it up here, but like someone suggested, there have been posts of mp3s in the UG video thread thing and it'd just save a ton of these threads appearing.

Master Of Shred
04-08-2006, 03:39 AM
Yeah okay attempt at FTLOG, lots of timing errors, I like the way how you use your wah at 1:22, mixing was pretty bad as well, backing track should be a bit louder :)

And for your other clip, uh quite sloppy like you already mentioned lol, pretty cheap o licks as well :(

gapster
04-08-2006, 09:05 AM
geez...your alternate picking is not perfectly synchronised between the right and left hand...practise . as for your 3 strings sweep its ok i guess.i think you are making alot of unwated string noises too .so ... nah not good

Tom Martin
04-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Are you guys listening to the same FTLOG that I am? I thought it sounded like crap. It was too choppy, and did not flow together at all.

Haha, finally someone who agrees with me. I think its awful, but like I said, it was done over 2 years ago.

Yeah okay attempt at FTLOG, lots of timing errors, I like the way how you use your wah at 1:22, mixing was pretty bad as well, backing track should be a bit louder :)

And for your other clip, uh quite sloppy like you already mentioned lol, pretty cheap o licks as well :(

The reason for the timing errors is because of your last point, the backing track should have been louder. When I played it on stage I couldn't hear the backing track at all really, so its a miracle that any of it is in time as I could only hear it when I wasn't playing.

And MoS, there arn't supposed to be any licks really, I was trying my hardest not to do any :D

geez...your alternate picking is not perfectly synchronised between the right and left hand...practise . as for your 3 strings sweep its ok i guess.i think you are making alot of unwated string noises too .so ... nah not good

Hmmm, there might be times when I'm out slightly, but I can assure you my alt picking is pretty well coordinated. Half the time in this I'm not going for triplets or sixteenth notes or anything, I'm literally just blitzing away so its not surprising I make mistakes. You've made some fair points, but to be honest this isn't a clip to show how good (or not as the case may be) I am at guitar, its a bit of fun. Its supposed to be sloppy :p:

Thanks for the replies! :D

Beckerism
04-08-2006, 10:08 AM
I see where you're coming from. Any chance of you posting an updated one so we can see your progress? :cheers:

Tom Martin
04-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Yea, I was thinking about getting another track down. I do warn you, if I do the tone will be awful because I can't DI, all I can do is go straight from the slave out on my amp into my laptop, meaning if I want a distorted tone, I need to do it pre-recording. Which sounds awful.

I'll let you guys decide, I'll narrow it down to three tracks to choose from, do you want to hear me play:

1) For The Love Of God (a better version)
2) Surfing With The Alien
3) Tender Surrender

Those are the only 3 I've got decent backing tracks for at the moment. Whatcha fancy?

apocalypse13
04-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Personally I'd like to hear someone cover Tender Surrender.

Tom Martin
04-09-2006, 03:08 PM
You just had to pick the hardest one didn't you. Goddamnit!
I don't know when I'm gonna be able to get you guys the info on BIMM and any further recordings, I don't really have the time today or tomorrow and after that I'm going home. So just bug me some time, send me a couple of PM's and I'll get it up as soon as possible.

I apologise for my slackyness.

apocalypse13
04-09-2006, 03:47 PM
You just had to pick the hardest one didn't you. Goddamnit!

:p:

Freepower
04-09-2006, 05:49 PM
What about an original? :(

apocalypse13
04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Originals >>>> Covers

But original wasn't an option, though it would be interesting.

Resiliance
04-09-2006, 06:46 PM
And let's be honest, at least if he does a cover we know we'll be getting something we recognise and is good, whereas an original would most likely not be very good.

(no offense, just saying what everyone's thinking)

I'd prefer an original too though ;)

Godly Moose
04-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Yea, I was thinking about getting another track down. I do warn you, if I do the tone will be awful because I can't DI, all I can do is go straight from the slave out on my amp into my laptop, meaning if I want a distorted tone, I need to do it pre-recording. Which sounds awful.

I'll let you guys decide, I'll narrow it down to three tracks to choose from, do you want to hear me play:

1) For The Love Of God (a better version)
2) Surfing With The Alien
3) Tender Surrender

Those are the only 3 I've got decent backing tracks for at the moment. Whatcha fancy?

I demand Tender Surrender.

Tom Martin
04-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I could get you guys an original I guess...

One of you guys make me up a backing track, anything really, and I'll see what I can do over it. Give me a few days and I should have something.
Hows that sound?

apocalypse13
04-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Oi!

Like fun!

Freepower
04-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Sounds interesting...

Reemster
04-10-2006, 06:56 AM
I could get you guys an original I guess...

One of you guys make me up a backing track, anything really, and I'll see what I can do over it. Give me a few days and I should have something.
Hows that sound?

Here's a backing track I've been practising ( improvizing) over for the past few days. It's a very mellow A Minor backing track, and I think it possible to come up with a nice improvisation. I don't know whether or not it's from an existing song ( if anyone recognizes it after d/l let me know) but nevertheless it's a decent backing track I think.

Find it here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/17639017/Slow_Am.mp3.html

Tom Martin
04-10-2006, 08:06 AM
How the hell do I download that? I hate those types of website where they try and whore you to buy their premium accounts... can anyone tell me where the goddamn 'Free Download' link is?

Sounds interesting...
I don't know why but when I read that I couldn't help but imagine some Irish guy stroking his chin with the twighlight zone music playing... Spoooooky.

EDIT: I think I've figured this site out, I think its making me wait 40 minutes before I can download it. oH No3s! I obviously must pay for their premium package because I'm such a tool I can't wait that long.

Resiliance
04-10-2006, 08:27 AM
40 seconds, more like...

Reemster
04-10-2006, 08:27 AM
So did you figure it out? Click the link, then choose "Free" at the bottom of the page. Then you have to wait a few secs, and a new page will appear. There you have to enter the coloured letters ( and/or numbers, that depends), and after that you're ready for download. If it still doesn't work ( which would surprise me) I'll send it to you by email. ;)

Tom Martin
04-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Yea, its not working. When I click the 'free' button it comes up with another page, and all it says is:

You have requested the file Slow_Am.mp3 (6314 KB). This file has been downloaded 3 times already.
IMPORTANT: Download-accelerators are only supported with a PREMIUM-Account!

You have downloaded 64688 KB. Want to download more?
Get your own Premium-account now! Instant download-access! (Or wait 15 minutes)
That last bit started up at 45 mins and has gone down, hence why I was thinking what I was.
Underneath that it just says more about the stupid premium packages (and yes I did click 'free' I've checked all that out)
No other windows pop up, and its got nothing to do with pop-up blockers because I've checked that... Am I just being chronically dumb here?

Resiliance
04-10-2006, 08:46 AM
^You've downloaded too much from the site already... It has a daily download cap or something like that.

Reemster
04-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm uploading it to Yousendit right now, hope you haven't downloaded too much from that site too ;)

Edit: here's the link:

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2HOTOC08YTYPZ2BFHA1H57Z1IS

Tom Martin
04-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Thats what I thought... but I havn't even been to the site before, let alone hit a download cap. Hence the confusion.

Oh well.

EDIT: Ok, so it finally took me to the next step, I chose the mirror to download it from and put in the letters it asked me to... then it comes up with this:

Download-session invalid. Please click here.

Possible reasons:

Download-session expired. Direct-links last a few minutes for free users and a few days for premium-users.
You requested this download-session from a different IP than yours. If you use AOL, try a different browser.

This site just plain doesn't like me.
Downloaded first time from YouSendIt... thanks!

Reemster
04-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Check my previous post for the link on Yousendit ;)

Tom Martin
04-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Check out my previous post for the comment in return saying I'm already downloading from yousendit ;)

Quick point Reemster, I don't take kindly to being treated like an idiot.

Stratwizard
04-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Here's a backing track I've been practising ( improvizing) over for the past few days. It's a very mellow A Minor backing track, and I think it possible to come up with a nice improvisation. I don't know whether or not it's from an existing song ( if anyone recognizes it after d/l let me know) but nevertheless it's a decent backing track I think.

Find it here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/17639017/Slow_Am.mp3.html

Uhh... the snare sound is really annoying. Good track anyhow. Where did you get it?

Reemster
04-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Quick point Reemster, I don't take kindly to being treated like an idiot.

:confused: You feel I treated you like an idiot? Please explain to me why... :confused:

And Stratwizard: I got this track from my teacher. He made a cd with about 22 backing tracks to practise my improvisation over.

Freepower
04-10-2006, 09:22 AM
^ he edited to say that he was dling from yousendit. Course, you had the temerity to answer before he edited... :p:

Reemster
04-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Ah, was that it... :p: Sorry, Tom! ;)

Stratwizard
04-10-2006, 09:33 AM
:confused: You feel I treated you like an idiot? Please explain to me why... :confused:

And Stratwizard: I got this track from my teacher. He made a cd with about 22 backing tracks to practise my improvisation over.

Wow, nice quality... Care to upload few of them?

Reemster
04-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Wow, nice quality... Care to upload few of them?

Sure, I'll make a selection and upload them to Yousendit later today. I'll post the link here.
Btw, I have to rephrase myself: that disc my teacher gave me consists of both known and unknown ( to me) songs: he didn't compose them himself. Not on this disc at least, I have a few backing tracks of his too.

Tom Martin
04-10-2006, 10:04 AM
If it still doesn't work ( which would surprise me) I'll send it to you by email. ;)
I'm uploading it to Yousendit right now, hope you haven't downloaded too much from that site too ;)
Check my previous post for the link on Yousendit ;)

Thats why I think you were being a smartass.

The bt is pretty good, I'll get back to you guys about it.

Reemster
04-10-2006, 10:16 AM
I hadn't seen your edited post, hence my third post in your list. As for the other two: I would have sent it to you by email if the d/l wouldn't work out for you. I thought it was pretty much obvious that I only wanted you to get that backing track ( Heck, why would I otherwise upload it twice?).

And if you would browse through all the posts I ever made here, it would be pretty obvious that I'm nothing like the smartass you thought I was.

But I guess it's all good now. Enjoy the backing track :peace:

Wolfstorm
04-10-2006, 10:17 AM
nice clipage dude :)

Reemster
04-10-2006, 04:39 PM
The cd with the backing tracks on it that I was talking about seems to be lost in my huge pile of cd's... I'll look for it a little longer and eventually upload it.
In the meantime I have a few backing tracks for you which I have on my computer. I selected 12 of them, and they are songs from Satriani, Dream Theater, Eric Johnson, MAB, Marcel Coenen and Gary Moore. The quality varies among them, but I think they're still decent.

Here's the link:

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31GGZP9QKBIV83FV05WJK3TSAD

Tom Martin
04-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Don't worry dude, I knew it wasn't intentional or malicious, just saying. Maybe its just the use of the ;) smiley, makes it look like you're taking the piss the whole time.

I've gone home now for a couple of weeks, so I've got no access to an electric guitar. When I get back I'll set straight to work on getting something up for you guys. This thread will most likely have died by then, so if it does I'll just whack up another one.

Take it easy, speak to you guys in a couple of weeks.

Erich yeung
04-12-2006, 09:24 PM
what do you use with rar files? cuz it wont work

Reemster
04-16-2006, 01:29 PM
I wasn't really sure where to put this, but it seems in place here. I recorded 2.5 minutes of own material, which eventually ( hopefully) will turn into a complete song in a while. I hope you guys can tell me what you think of the feel of the song. You're also welcome to crit my playing, but it's what you think of the material itself that I'm really curious about.

There are 5 guitar layers to improve the overall sound, and except for the drums I recorded every instrument myself. Every layer was recorded in one take ( incl the solo) because I just wanted to hear what it sounds like altogether, rather than focussing on a smoothly mixed and recorded song.
I have only been using Audacity for three days, so that might explain some imperfections in the recording here and there :) ( Except for small mistakes from me of course)

:cheers: in advance :)

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1HBULYVNSVV781MSPE2W8QWA5T

Resiliance
04-16-2006, 02:57 PM
what do you use with rar files? cuz it wont work

http://www.rarlab.com

Will check out your thing later Reemster.

cliff_em_all
04-16-2006, 05:35 PM
I demand Tender Surrender.

:haha DEMAND!