Which pots for HSS, and wiring diagram?

PDA

View Full Version : Which pots for HSS, and wiring diagram?

tomslespaul
04-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Im gonna be setting my strat up in a HSS format, not sure which value pots to use.. at first I thought 500k for sure, but wont the singles sound really bright with 500k? But the humbucker would sound muddy with 250k I'm guessing? Help!!

Also, need a wiring diagram for regular strat, the humbucker being 4 conductor, so the switch positions would be..

1-bridge
2-inner coil (non screw coil) of bridge and middle
3-middle
4-middle and neck
5-neck

I'm also having only one tone pot instead of the usual 2, and a master volume. If possible, I'd like the diagram to be simple as possible, I dont know what any electronic symbols mean (embarrasing for a guy modding his guitar, I know!)

Ooh one last thing.. my bridge has a wire running from inside of it, is this the ground wire? I ask because this guitar/bridge has piezo saddles, it doesnt look like there used to be any other wires attached to the screws for the springs or anything though so I'm guessing its ground but I thought I'd check to be sure!

This diagram looks pretty good and simple, but I dont understand all the ground bits, I swear my singles only have 1 wire... And should I solder them all into one "point", IE all the ground wires solder together, or what?! sorry I'm a total n00b at this haha http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/wdu_hss5l11_01
Cheers!

JimPlaysGuitar
04-08-2006, 12:40 PM
The standard HSS fat strats have 250k pots, so 250 should be fine, that diagram is what you want, all the ground arrows should be soldered to the back of the volume pot. If you're talking about the wire soldered to the spring claw, it's ground and should also be routed to the back of the volume pot. Check the wire on your singles sometimes it looks like a single wire, but it's like 2 in 1, the ground should be inside it, along with the the insulated hot wire? You also have to remember which one is the middle pickup and which is the neck, if you haven't taken them out, as the middle one is reverse wound. What brand is your humbucker?

tomslespaul
04-08-2006, 01:00 PM
aha thanks for that, I'm still worried about 250k making the humbucker muddy but I guess more people will respond with answers! I havent got a humbucker yet but for the time being, I'll get a cheap SD till I can afford Bareknuckle.. I havent taken the guitar apart yet but yeah I just thought that the cables from the singles would be the 2 conductor type, like my LPs pickup s are.

My guitar doesnt even have a spring claw, 2 springs attached to separate screws in the body.. before taking the guitar apart there was no wire soldered to these springs, just the one running from the bridge, again I'm unsure if this is the ground wire or not though, so as a precaution should I solder another wire to a screw going into the body or something?

JimPlaysGuitar
04-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah, solder a wire to anything making contact with the springs. and take the other end to the grounding point (back of volume pot)

tomslespaul
04-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Nice one, sounds like it should be quite easy. The only thing I've ever done is replace pickups in my LP which was easy, so hopefully this isnt that bad either. Thanks again.

JimPlaysGuitar
04-08-2006, 05:13 PM
You just have to know the color codes of the pickup brand you choose. And which color does what.

tomslespaul
04-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Yeah, shouldnt be too difficult I'm guessing.. one last question, which capacitor is recommended on the tone pot for a strat?

JimPlaysGuitar
04-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Anything between .022 and .047 mfd really, I usually use .022, it's about personal preference really.

tomslespaul
04-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Cool cheers. I'm guessing the lower value .022uf will be best for me as I'm probably gonna use 500k pots, so it will tame the treble gained from 500k, of the singles I'm guessing.

JimPlaysGuitar
04-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Nah, the higher the value, the more treble taken away. So I'd say .047

tomslespaul
04-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Oh right haha well I'll order a few different values to experiment a bit.

JimPlaysGuitar
04-08-2006, 05:36 PM
I was gonna say, at that price, you can experiment.

That_Pink_Queen
04-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Pot's don't make THAT much difference on the sound. Both will work, but probably 250k is better.

tomslespaul
04-08-2006, 07:08 PM
hmm ok I guess I can try 500k first then, not too hard to change stuff around, just a hassle.

tomslespaul
04-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Oh yeah I have another "idea" ... can I just wire it up without the bridge hum on the tone pot, so I can just use the tone to tame the singles if they are too harsh? If so how would I change the wiring on the diagram?

That_Pink_Queen
04-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Don't worry about man, just use 250 k and it will all work out.

Yes that should work, but I'll wait for Jim to draw I diagram, because his are nice, and mine suck.

JimPlaysGuitar
04-08-2006, 11:02 PM
I would if I could, Christian. I know how to use the same tone control for two pickups, only if theres a pole on the switch being used for tones, like on a standard strat. That's being used for the auto coil split in position 4. I think theres a way, but i'm not sure.

That_Pink_Queen
04-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Isn't there?

(Remember, I don't get this 5 way switch stuff:()

tomslespaul
04-09-2006, 09:19 AM
haha ok 250k it is.. I'll try that first, then if I dont like it I guess you'll see me back here hah. Cheers for the help

JimPlaysGuitar
04-09-2006, 11:49 AM
There could well be, but I don't see how you can take the same tone to two pickups, without connecting them, so that when one is on, they're both on. Get what i mean?

tomslespaul
04-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Well actually at the minute my guitars wired up so they all use one tone pot I realised, the 2nd "tone" pot/knob actually controlled the piezo pickup.. so I guess I can just copy whatevers been done here, onto my new pickguard!

JimPlaysGuitar
04-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Aye, you could, but that would mean a "master" tone, also controlling your bridge pickup, which you didn't want.

tomslespaul
04-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah but couldnt I just disconnect the bridge pickup from the tone pot or something? Sorry if this is wrong/stupid haha

JimPlaysGuitar
04-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Not easilly, since a master tone goes into the circuit after the switch, it's gonna pull treble from whatever pickup is selected.

FrenchyFungus
04-09-2006, 02:59 PM
The giuy in the shop gave me 500s when i bought new ones.

EDIT: couldn't he put everything throeugh the switch, then have the two singles go into the tone, and the bridge straight to the volume.

Singles>Switch>Tone>Volume
Bridge>Switch>>>>>>>^

JimPlaysGuitar
04-09-2006, 03:00 PM
The guy in the shop has a small penis.

FrenchyFungus
04-09-2006, 03:21 PM
:haha

JimPlaysGuitar
04-09-2006, 03:24 PM
There is no way of connecting one tone to two pickups, without making a connection between both, resulting in them both being on, whenever one of them is selected.