Sad Blues

PDA

View Full Version : Sad Blues

rory_d119
04-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Whats the Saddest Blues Song you ever heard...

CheckOutSerafin
04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I dont know if you'd count it as blues, but Bob Dylans version of 'Dont think twice its alright' (from the album) is incredibly sad. Its got this kind of mournful 'im gunna leave you' thing going on.

rocknroll blues
04-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I dont know if you'd count it as blues, but Bob Dylans version of 'Dont think twice its alright' (from the album) is incredibly sad. Its got this kind of mournful 'im gunna leave you' thing going on.

I second that. Not really blues, though.

Still probably the saddest song I've ever heard.

sirpsycho85
04-10-2006, 12:40 AM
yeah a lot of dylan, because the lyrics really are miles ahead of anybody that did blues (well actually any music i've heard), and he has an incredibly expressive voice. some robert johnson stuff as well.

redwing_suck
04-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Have You Ever Loved A Woman? - Derek and Dominos

Most pain EVER in one song, not to mention that whole album.

Playdoh14
04-10-2006, 01:28 AM
a Dylan tune, but not Dont Think Twice It's Alright...

IMO its If You See Her Say Hello

dr_john
04-10-2006, 07:45 AM
'life by the drop' by stevie ray vaughan.

it's not so much the lyrics (which are little difficult to make out at times) but more so the emotion in his voice.

rocknroll blues
04-10-2006, 10:17 AM

How could I have forgotten?

Jesus, such a good answer. Damn you and your remembering really good songs, redwing_suck!

SuburbanCowboy
04-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Blue Jean Blues - ZZ Top

Not so much because of the lyrics, but I just love the way Gibbons makes the guitar scream in pain. One string bend from that song can say more than any lyric every written IMO...

Steve Cropper
04-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Jumpin' at Shadows

AxeAbuser#2
04-10-2006, 05:31 PM
clapton - running on faith

Cptbeefheart
04-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Lenny by Stevie Ray Vaugahn is pretty sad.

ledhed68
04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Dirty Pool-SRV

StratRat13
04-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Have you Ever Loved A Woman- Freddie Kings Version
Life By The Drop/Life Without You- SRV
Alot of Robert Johnson's stuff is sad.

mr_hankey
04-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Have you Ever Loved A Woman- Freddie Kings Version
Life By The Drop/Life Without You- SRV
Alot of Robert Johnson's stuff is sad.

Definately Life Without You by SRV.

mr_chinnery
04-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Tin Pan Alley. I don't understand how anyone can say Lenny is sad. Maybe it's just me. Life without you is sad, (about his guitar tech that died I think), until you hear the live version on instep, which is one man just so happy to be alive. Listening to that song when I'm down never fails to cheer me up.

pistols
04-17-2006, 12:03 AM
On the nirvana box set, kurts solo recording of where did you sleep last night is really sad. I think if he had finished it off with the yelling like he did live it would have been better.

Mostly its the tune, but also the pain in his voice, its amazing.

Never heard the leadbelly version though.

Melodelic
04-17-2006, 01:22 AM
yeah i'd have to say Life Without You is sad, that was the song that i was playing in my car on the way to my friends funeral =(

SuburbanCowboy
04-17-2006, 01:15 PM
On the nirvana box set, kurts solo recording of where did you sleep last night is really sad. I think if he had finished it off with the yelling like he did live it would have been better.

Mostly its the tune, but also the pain in his voice, its amazing.

Never heard the leadbelly version though.

:rolleyes: rrriiiiiight....

mr_chinnery
04-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Tin Pan Alley. I don't understand how anyone can say Lenny is sad. Maybe it's just me. Life without you is sad, (about his guitar tech that died I think), until you hear the live version on instep, which is one man just so happy to be alive. Listening to that song when I'm down never fails to cheer me up.

Stop talking balls mr chinnery, it's clearly either Floating Bridge by EC or Nobody loves but me my mother by B.B. King.

:D

redwing_suck
04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
I second mr_chinnery on saying that "Life Without You" is NOT sad. It's a remembrance song. That live version is incredible!

I stick to my guns: Have You Ever Loved A Woman?

PooKoo
04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
The live version is one of the greatest things ive ever heard.

And yeah, life by the drop or basically anything from derek and the dominoes works.

The Who #1
01-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Eric Claptons "Tears In Heaven" not really blues but good song

captain_jack
01-11-2009, 08:56 PM
There's a song called "Trouble In Mind." I have no idea who it's by, I learned it from a couple older blues players. It's incredibly sad, imo.
Also, I second Blue Jean Blues and Tin Pan Alley.

slidething31
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Please Call Home by the Allman Brothers

fireoptic
01-12-2009, 12:23 AM

YES! Especially on the Live at the Fillmore 1970 album. Key To The Highway is a very sad song too.

microtech
01-12-2009, 02:38 AM
wow, this thread is way off. a lot of delta stuff is sad

"Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" by Skip James, "A Man and the Blues" by Buddy Guy and Elmore James' version of "The Sky is Crying" come to mind, but I could sit here and list 50 more that are more sad than the stuff you guys are naming.

JilaX^
01-12-2009, 02:40 AM

If you think that has pain, go check out the Freddie King album...

Also Fleetwood Mac - Jumping At Shadows.

This version in Particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6zg05CxYg

Ancient Jello
01-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Gary Moore's version of 'Need Your Love So Badly' from the Blues for Greeny album. If I want a good ball, that's the one I listen to. Gets me every time.

wholelottabon
01-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Gary Moore's version of 'Need Your Love So Badly' from the Blues for Greeny album. If I want a good ball, that's the one I listen to. Gets me every time.
what about peters origial?
does that do anthing for you, cause ive always considered his playing much more emotional

Ancient Jello
01-12-2009, 04:57 AM
I have just listened to each twice and both are really great. I think I'm emotionally attached to Moore's version because when I broke up with my boyfriend last year I played it over and over (which made sure I was miserable for much longer!). So when I play it now, it brings back memories of that time and makes me sad all over again.

And now have listened to the song four times in a row I really do have the blues! :(

JilaX^
01-12-2009, 05:08 AM
I have just listened to each twice and both are really great. I think I'm emotionally attached to Moore's version because when I broke up with my boyfriend last year I played it over and over (which made sure I was miserable for much longer!). So when I play it now, it brings back memories of that time and makes me sad all over again.

And now have listened to the song four times in a row I really do have the blues! :(

Ah.
When the songs have personal emotion invlved they're always a tad more bittersweet.
Been there, done that with a loot of songs. Five Long Years in particular. (I always get the shakes when playing it.)

Ancient Jello
01-12-2009, 05:11 AM
I just finished listening to Green's Albatross and now Black Magic Woman ... wow, when your feeling emotional this is just such powerful stuff - not depressing, just takes you right into yourself and taps the basic and raw feelings.

I haven't listened to Moore's album 'Old New Ballads Blues' until tonight and the track 'No Reason to Cry' hits some sad spots too.

j_hunter_hkr
01-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Worried Dream by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. By the time the solo has ended if you're not in tears you officially have no soul.

chea_man
01-12-2009, 08:43 AM
strange fruit- billie holiday. listen to it, and listen to the words closely. she sings about fruit on a tree, but it represents lynchings. it nearly makes me cry.

and of course blind lemon jeffersons "one kind favor"

JilaX^
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Oh I just remembered another one.

Blues For The Homeless - Ronnie Earl.

<33333333

bluecondition
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
'as the years go passing by' always gets me for its hopeless desperation, i especially like the santana version which has a slightly off key organ which gives it a strange other-worldly vibe.

ze monsta
01-12-2009, 04:11 PM
The saddest, most moving song in Blues is IMO Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was The Night Cold was the ground

matt92l
01-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Nobody loves me but my mother-BB King? more depressing though...

miniknielsen
01-12-2009, 07:46 PM
B.B.'s The thrill is gone... and i loved another woman by fleetwood mac, i think it has a really sad feel to it...

ze monsta
01-13-2009, 03:21 PM
It Hurts Me So - John Lee Hooker - Doesn't sound very sad, but I love that song.
Blues For Abraham Lincoln - John Lee Hooker - not so much sad, but that is from the heart.
Death Room Blues - Blind Willie McTell - my favourite bluesman ever, his most moving song.
Love In Vain - Robert Johnson - tells a great story
Jinx Blues - Son House - This man was the blues
Grinnin in Your Face - Son House
Downhearted Blues - Son House
The Soul of a Man - Blind Willie Johnson

RubberSoul54321
01-13-2009, 07:42 PM
The Death of J B Lenoir - John Mayall: "When I heard the news, night came early in my day." Fantastic line, blew me away when I first heard it.

Ancient Jello
01-13-2009, 08:05 PM
When I see threads like this I realise just HOW much blues music I still have to find and listen to for the first time.

ze monsta
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
^That's a good thing. I need to check out more electric slide stuff, like Earl Hooker, Hound Dog Taylor, Slim Harpo. I'm digging that style right now. Although I don't listen to as much blues as I used to. I used to be an acoustic blues elitist lol, but I'm really into art rock, Alternative and garage rock. :)

Rock Pig
01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm thinking, Gary Moore. Probably Still Got the Blues or Parrisienne Walkways.

RubberSoul54321
01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Son House - Death Letter. Bit obvious but there you go.