Christian Rock

PDA

View Full Version : Christian Rock

Steelman
04-11-2006, 12:12 AM
I really hadn't the slightest where this one would fit in, but I have a question and please refrain from flaming, I'm just curious. What are some good Christain Rock bands? I heard a song by Starfield which kinda caught my ear, and I was wondering if there are any other Christian Rock bands that might also catch my interest. I'm usually not into such bands, I'm more of a Malmsteen, Guns N' Roses, Blind Melon, Nirvana kind of person, but perhaps that could narrow the suggestions a bit? Thanks very much.

1fine69
04-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Well, I like thrice, killswitch engage, and demon hunter, the first 2 of which no one realizes are in fact christian and the 3 of which no one has heard of, but would like if they did.
Christian music doesnt have to suck, you just have to know what your looking for, and any christian band that plays on mtv and becomes a hit such as switchfoot or reliant k is bound to suck so dont judge the rest by them.

axethrower13
04-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Blindside is kinda of heavy but pretty dang good.

G-Rock
04-11-2006, 12:21 AM
I always liked Five Iron Frenzy for some reason. Really happy kind of music, but still.
Not really rock, but Denver and the Mile High Orchestra are really good. Especially in concert. More of a big-band jazz kind of thing

Gemini
04-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Audio Adrenaline is good, Demon Hunter is a heavier band, but still really good. Thousand Foot Krutch is Christian Rap/Rock, if you're into that. Skillet is a great band. There's pretty much anything to match your tastes, if you look for it.

die_kenny_die
04-11-2006, 12:29 AM
thrice is christian?! whoa... :wtf: i like norma jean, personally, and i think Mae is christian but i don't know for sure. maybe that's not really your taste, but meh.

AWA
04-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Ummm System of a Down, George Harrisons solo stuff, and for good jewish reggae, Matisyahu

die_kenny_die
04-11-2006, 12:31 AM
wha.... system of a down too? whoa!!! :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Gemini
04-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Ummm System of a Down,

:wtf:

And when did I say that quote in your sig? Seems like forever ago...

InSaynePig
04-11-2006, 12:33 AM
^Matisyahu is pretty cool. Killswitch are christian though? And System too? Really? I just don't see it.

roo6339
uh, i dunno how you got that system of a down is christian, but whatever.

try project 86 and blindside. they stick out as far as christian rock goes. could try petra if you want some really happy sounding, yet talented sorta classic/glam rock... hard to explain. you might like them.

Gemini
^Matisyahu is pretty cool. Killswitch are christian though? And System too? Really? I just don't see it.

I think the System thing was a joke...

yawn
04-11-2006, 12:34 AM
I third the Blindside suggestion. They're not great but they're pretty damn good.

InSaynePig
04-11-2006, 12:37 AM
I think the System thing was a joke...
I hope so.

Gemini
04-11-2006, 12:37 AM
I hope so.

Me too, good sir. Me too.

AWA
04-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Well, Gemini, you posted that in a thread where I totally pwned a n00b for posting in the wrong forum. And yes, System of a Down is a christian band. If you read some of their lyrics you'll agree. Also, I saw a picture of the inside of Darons house, and he has Jesus candles and stuff.

Gemini
04-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Some of their lyrics do sound Christian, I'll give you that. But the majority do not. And even if they are Christians, would a Christian band have Parental Advisory labels on their albums? I doubt it.

And thanks for the reminder.

jof1029
04-11-2006, 12:50 AM
i dont think SOAD is a christian band, but hey, i could be wrong. KSE, dont see that one either, but ill have a look at some of the lyrics before i make up my mind. um, skillet is good, not my kind of music though. the only one i really have to add that isnt up already is MxPx. they are one of my favorite bands, and definatly christian rock/punk. the newer stuff isnt as good IMO, but a lot of their stuff is really good and they put on one heck of a live show.

AWA
04-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Some of their lyrics do sound Christian, I'll give you that. But the majority do not. And even if they are Christians, would a Christian band have Parental Advisory labels on their albums? I doubt it.

And thanks for the reminder.

Why the fuck would that make a difference? I have freinds that are christians that have an unbelievable amount of cursing they use.

roo6339
04-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, Gemini, you posted that in a thread where I totally pwned a n00b for posting in the wrong forum. And yes, System of a Down is a christian band. If you read some of their lyrics you'll agree. Also, I saw a picture of the inside of Darons house, and he has Jesus candles and stuff.

what lyrics are Christian? i hear a lot that aren't, a lot that are political, and a lot of nonsense, but i can't hear any lyrics supporting Christianity. and having Jesus candles doesn't make you Christian anymore than putting a buddha in your home makes you a buddhist. it's the actions that count, not what ornaments he has.

not to mention he thanked God, Buddha, Allah and Lucifer in the liner notes for their debut album. even if he has Christian beliefs, that goes against the very first of the 10 commandments, "though shall have no other gods besides me."

IbanezPlayer27
04-11-2006, 01:04 AM
As I Lay Dying is a good Christian Band if you've seen there new video that'll prove there christian.

die_kenny_die
04-11-2006, 01:05 AM
which video?

midnight_toker
04-11-2006, 01:16 AM
you can be considered a christian band and not sing about god and angels and stuff. it is a personal choice, like writing lyrics about it. just cause every other word doesnt say god or jesus or angel this, doesnt mean ur not a christian influenced band.

pokescab
04-11-2006, 01:18 AM
As I Lay Dying are definitely christian. My cousin is into them and from what I've heard, they're mediocre>Reasonbly good.

Bloody Mary
04-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Switchfoot, reliant k and other such bands I count kind of as semi christian music, because they're songs aren't just all about christianity, which is a good thing. But if you were looking for a completely through and through christian band you might look at Jeremy Camp, he has a few awards for his vocals and even though I'm not an avid listener I think he has a cool voice. Also a band called The Afters is supposed to be a rising christian rock band, can't say that I've heard any of their stuff though.
By the way I heard that Coheed had christian songs.

guywithtoaster
04-11-2006, 02:47 AM
do you guys ever find it funny that almost every christian rock band has a song titled "torn" or "broken"

thats just my 2 cents

stratocaster7
04-11-2006, 05:05 AM
There are the light ones, like Relient K, Mae, Switchfoot, FM static, Sanctus Real, Hawk Nelson. (I don't really like them, but I thought I'd mention them for the sake of more choices).
And there are kind of heavier ones, like Living Sacrifice, Emery, Anberlin, Project 86 (or something like that), Skillet, Pillar, Kutless, Falling Up, Underoath etc.

slashnmash
04-11-2006, 05:31 AM
The best christian rock band are YFRIDAY. Some of their lyrics:
For he is,
Holy, holy, holeee
My lord is,
Holy, holy, holye.
Jesus Christ is,

and so on lol

apc--ibanez
04-11-2006, 07:16 AM
system of a down are not christian, have you all not heard "suite pee"

Rambo-Conny
04-11-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned Dream Theater yet. P.O.D are christians too, i think.

1fine69
04-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Yeah, system of a down is definately not christian, but if killswitch is not, at least whoever writes the lyrics is. Haven't you guys read the lyrics to darkness falls, take this oath, or life to lifeless? And the most obvious would be rose of sharon, come on, rose of sharon is another name for jesus and the whole song is about how the guy can't wait to see Him again.

waldorphPRS41
04-11-2006, 04:45 PM
No they aren't. Stop talking. Just because they have stuff with Jesus in there house doesn't mean they are Christians. And I'm sure the Christian and Parental Advisory thing conflict on different levels.

There is a big thread on Christian bands a little farther down on this page, just search it.

AS I LAY DYING!
04-12-2006, 07:37 PM
as i lay dying is an awsome christian band, really heavy.

HarryManback
04-12-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned Dream Theater yet. P.O.D are christians too, i think.
DREAM THEATER IS CHRISTIAN ROCK!?!?!!?!

they are too talented to be christian rock

AS I LAY DYING!
04-13-2006, 03:14 PM
what does talent have to do with being christian?

<the_last>
04-14-2006, 11:09 PM
top ten right here, IMO

1. norma jean
2. underoath
3. emery
4. as i lay dying
5. maylene and the sons of disaster (you got to check these guys out)
6. the chariot
7. mae
8. anberlin
9. demon hunter
10. haste the day

Skillet#1fan
04-15-2006, 11:15 AM
System of a Down is NOT a Christian rock band. Skillet is the best band ever. Thousand Foot Krutch, Kutless, Pillar, Underoath, and Seven Day Slumber rock too.

coady911
04-17-2006, 10:42 AM
no SOAD are deffinatly not christian and neither are Avengened sevenfold
good christian bands are:
Relient k
anberlin
emery
Five iron frenzy
oc supertones
our lady peace
tree 63
slick shoes
demon hunter

coady911
04-17-2006, 10:43 AM
dream theater are christian
plus there are LOTS of talented christian bands
and DUH!!!! POD are

punk_mike_88
04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Anberlin, Relient K, Thousand Foot Krutch, Switchfoot, Underoath

polishmanmike
04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
ummm we can take any band and make it "Christian".....'you will know them by their fruits'

simple

if some1 F's it up thnx budha for the album and then sticks some candles in their house and calls himself a Christian.....i dunno I would suspec a wolf in a sheep's skin as the Word warns us. Y everytime a lyrics says blood or speaks of good things we assume that they must be a Christian band while ignoring 50 F words and guy GD ing it up...time to get serious guys
im not saying ur going to hell for listening for that stuff, but every1 can read the Word, in exodus 12 God told HIS people not to eat of the leavened bread (bread that contains the stuff from the previous bread) and to leave Egypt and if any1 was to eat the leavened bread they were not His people anymore. Read Exodus 12, u cant understand modern New Testament Christianity without understanding the Old Testament....that was a mold.

Yet we have people saying they are Christians, eating still the leavened bread, they junk from their previous life, still chillin in Egypt even tho God told them to leave, no change in their life, what they "eat" listen to watch talk is the same as the world, yet we are to be His Holy people.....repent guys and understand the times,

I love metal music but sometimes my blood boils when i hear that syst of a down is Christian,

pm me if u wanna talk, id love to
in Christ
mike

mb889
04-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Skillet, Underoath, and Thousand Foot Krutch are some of my favorites.

mb889
04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Anberlin's good, too, as well as Switchfoot.

papersun87
04-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Ugh, this thread fails.

1. Skillet
2. Model Engine
3. Switchfoot
4. Project 86
5. Lifehouse
6. Brave Saint Saturn

I am a Christian and constantly frustrated by fellow Christian music makers. Most Christian bands just latch onto whatever secular trend is popular and make that kind of music. There are only really six Christian bands that have their own thing going on and are actually trying to push the genre, and it's those six up there.

Oh, and to the guy who said SOAD was a Christian band? Lawl.

chucknorris
04-26-2007, 08:40 PM
hawk nelson is alright

jrdnmcmahon
05-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Switchfoot
Relient K
Jars Of Clay
Starfield
Skillet
Delirious

Z_cup_boy
05-20-2007, 03:15 PM
underOATH biznatchers!
awesome stuff
and as i lay dying

lolmnt
05-20-2007, 05:25 PM
emery(one of my favorite bands)
underoath(not a fan)
the almost
five iron frenzy
as i lay dying

josh182
05-20-2007, 06:33 PM
hey i dont know if anyone already cleared this up but
System of a down is not a Christian band, however 2 of the members are proclaimed christians and the other two are complete islam but they are not a christian band, maybe members are but not the band plus they swear and all and talk bout violent p0rn lol
im not sure with killswitch but definetly there lyrics sometimes sound it and plenty of other bands have Christian members making there lyrics occasionally or always sound christian, Chevelle, thrice, u2 flyleaf but members are Christians but the band is not signed as a Christian Artist so, o and a bands lyrics dont need to say God or anything in there lyrics to be Christian, if the members say they are christians and they never say something Christian but u can definetly tell the lyrics are, as in
12 stones, some people have been saying that the members are christians but the band isnt bcuz there lyrics dont say God or Jesus or anything, it doesnt matter, ' i hate the way i feel, i know i need You in my life, and i promise to make the sacrifice....im broken i know i need you now...everything i am u have given me, its everything i need and all the truth i need just bring me home.. i can go on but just to give u the point, and

other good bands u might like are RED, 12 stones, Skillet, pillar, maybe Disciple and plenty more
hope i helped someone but i had to say sumthing pce

phobiafreak949
05-20-2007, 09:14 PM
thousand foot krutch and skillet are in my opinion the two most talented christian bands. hawk nelson has some good punk stuff, kutless is good

enalsisiht
05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
mxpx, demon hunter, 12 stones, emery, hawknelson, the almost, anberlin, last tuesday, just to name a few. pm if you want a bunch more.

jdallman
05-21-2007, 05:29 AM
I didn't read all the posts, but in case nobodyhas suggested them, check out Deliverence, Tourniquet, Precious Death, I could keep going....

mart_guitar
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
AS I LAY DYING!!!!!!

www.myspace.com/dreadfulnightsband

wakemxbmx89
05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
i used to think they were to there just spiritual

but some really good bands are norman greenbaum is cool for classic stuff
underoath is my favorite the almost as i lay dying haste the day stryper is kind of an 80s metal style chevelles old stuff is christian

the way you know if its chritian or not is mostly by the label

clincher09
05-22-2007, 07:56 PM
DREAM THEATER IS CHRISTIAN ROCK!?!?!!?!

they are too talented to be christian rock

Now that was a stupid statement right there.

I'd say Project 86 and Demon Hunter. A pretty good combo right there and my favorites. And Project 86 are one of the most original bands out there right now.

Zak 01
05-22-2007, 09:37 PM
YES!!! Brave Saint Saturn!!!! Awesome band, though it's sad they weren't that big. But yeah I dig Third Day...awesome stuff.

snofthndr
05-22-2007, 11:59 PM
man u must look at pod

http://www.myspace.com/payableondeath :) :) :)
there comeing out with another cd so there site is down

i have to say blind side is great
im a pillar
thousand foot krutch
fan

6strung
05-23-2007, 11:11 AM
There's no such thing as christian rock, just like there's no such thing as jewish rock or mormon rock. Rock isn't defined by who sings it or plays it, its what they play. I've said that a million times, please pass it on.

Perpetual Burn
05-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Hillsong!!! We sing "One Way" in church at school sometimes. It's quite pathetic. I'm not christian.

rockboy8000
05-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Switchfoot, Kutless, Day of Fire, Pillar, the Newsboys, Reliant K, Casting Crowns.

MiniMusicMasta
06-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Saw delirious? last nite. amazin. blew the roof off the place. so i am sayin them

aceshigh16
06-12-2007, 10:47 PM
does nobody know about stryper and whitecross!!!!

stryper = Christian hair metal w/ insane solos = Christian motley crue

whitecross = Christian Van Halen!!!

demon hunter is sick too

LDPGuitarist27
07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey, if you like good rap and rock thats clean check out 4th avenue jones. Theyre not necessarily christian but they have some good songs.
If you want my list here it is
newsboys, tobymac, switchfoot, stryper, demon hunter, t-bone, pillar, dc talk, skillet, third day, sanctus real, audio a, hawk nelson, kutless, relient k, thousand foot krutch, 12 stones, casting pearls, P.O.D., day of fire, falling up, kj-52, disciple, Red, group 1 crew, family force 5, paul wright, DJ maj, 4th ave jones...

PeachBerry
07-09-2007, 06:06 PM
|Evenescence!! (i know its spelt wrong btw)

cherry_bomb
07-10-2007, 07:36 PM
I hear everyone saying As I Lay Dying..HELLO what about ZAO <3 :D they have been around doing that thing long before most bands.
& Dead Poetic is nice. hmm Strongarm..
Cant think of any good christian band right now..

the spiker
07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Currently the only Christian music I'll listen to is Creed. Quite frankly that is the only band of their genre too :P

ChristianPnkRkr
09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
some really good christain bands (in there approp. catagories)
PunkRock: Anberlin, Blindside, Emery, HawkNelson, Last Tuesday and MxPx.
Rock: RED, PoD, Skilett, Seventh Day Slumber, Kuttles, Kids in The Way, The Wedding, MuteMath, Underoath, The Almost, RelientK, Switchfoot, and the Send.
Softer Rock: Mae, Sherwood, Leeland, Jeremy Camp(his old stuff is rockier!), Starfield and Forever the Sickest Kids.
Anyway, These are some of my favorite bands, there are alot of other GREAT bands, these are just a few off the top of my head.
Enjoy,
Pnk-RKr

Invisible Girl
09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
check out underoath, pillar, sanctus real, the almost, and p.o.d!

Megalomaniac16
09-22-2007, 05:14 PM
look down the page a little bit, and you'll see a nice thread with hundreds of posts on this very topic.

Megalomaniac16
09-22-2007, 05:16 PM
^^^^ and mute math is not christian rock, the members are christian, but its not a christian band.

and because im sure someone has probably said chevelle, they arent either.

the_hooz
10-04-2007, 02:56 PM
i just wanna say a lot of people have mentioned some good bands...problem is some people don't realize that they don't look things up good enough...flyleaf is a christian rock group...and evanescence is not christian rock...they kind of used to be but they arent the same band they used to be...they lost all of their original members except amy lee. the others just made their own band or joined others.

my fav bands right now are
Relient K, Underoath, The Almost, Hawk Nelson, Switchfoot

some other bands you should check out
Trading Yesterday, AS I LAY DYING, Emery, Killswitch Engage, these are just a few
btw Trading Yesterday is now The Age of Information...the lead singer of the band was originally in Evanescence...his name is David Hodges, writes really good songs

waldorphPRS41
10-05-2007, 02:24 AM
some really good christain bands (in there approp. catagories)
PunkRock: Anberlin, Blindside, Emery, HawkNelson, Last Tuesday and MxPx.

Sorry but none of those bands are Punk rock.

But yeah there is a bigger thread just a little ways down.

guitar_hero543
10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Ummm System of a Down, George Harrisons solo stuff, and for good jewish reggae, Matisyahu

lol buddy system of a down is anything but christian...they played at ozzfest for pete's sake, thats not exactly a christian....concer, in fact its kinda the opposite, not to mention alot of their songs are about hookers..(hypnotize for one: "im just sitting in my car and waiting for my girrlllll") george harrison i wouldnt really call christian, he's got spiritual lyrics but you can be spiritual without being chrisitan, just look at the rest of the beatles, they were all spiritual as everything, people said that paul had a air of spirituality around him, but we all know that they were far from christian

guitar_hero543
10-05-2007, 12:07 PM
^^^^ and mute math is not christian rock, the members are christian, but its not a christian band.

and because im sure someone has probably said chevelle, they arent either.

yeah chevelle is, they've appeared in christian youth magazines in interviews and have called themselves christian before so...yeah they'd be christian, although they had stopped calling themselves a christian band for a while, im pretty sure they're back to being a christian band

guitar_hero543
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Well, I like thrice, killswitch engage, and demon hunter, the first 2 of which no one realizes are in fact christian and the 3 of which no one has heard of, but would like if they did.
Christian music doesnt have to suck, you just have to know what your looking for, and any christian band that plays on mtv and becomes a hit such as switchfoot or reliant k is bound to suck so dont judge the rest by them.

lol dude that doesnt make a shred of sense, its kinda funny actually "and any christian band that plays on mtv and becomes a hit such as switchfoot or reliant k is bound to suck so dont judge the rest by them" hahahahahahaha funny, really funny, uh switchfoots probably the best christian band around bud, they're original and have good songwriting abilities and a good sound, dont diss them, lol you dont exactly know much about rock do you? you just said that a christian band that plays on MTV is bound to suck....it's MTV! buddy!! you have to be pretty dang good to make it MTV, especially if you're a christian band!...and you said if they become a hit they're bound to suck..ahehehehe, thats really funny, since when does a band that makes it to the top suck?..you obviously have pretty well no musical brain if you think that... :rolleyes: wow you're really smart(sarcasm)

waldorphPRS41
10-05-2007, 04:56 PM
lol dude that doesnt make a shred of sense, its kinda funny actually "and any christian band that plays on mtv and becomes a hit such as switchfoot or reliant k is bound to suck so dont judge the rest by them" hahahahahahaha funny, really funny, uh switchfoots probably the best christian band around bud, they're original and have good songwriting abilities and a good sound, dont diss them, lol you dont exactly know much about rock do you? you just said that a christian band that plays on MTV is bound to suck....it's MTV! buddy!! you have to be pretty dang good to make it MTV, especially if you're a christian band!...and you said if they become a hit they're bound to suck..ahehehehe, thats really funny, since when does a band that makes it to the top suck?..you obviously have pretty well no musical brain if you think that... :rolleyes: wow you're really smart(sarcasm)
That's a really ignorant statement. Most of the music on MTV isn't that good or original. There are exceptions but for the most part you have to be pretty dang trendy to make it on MTV.

canesfan2007
10-25-2007, 09:33 PM
I like creed and Killswitch Engage there both pretty good.