Wilco

PDA

View Full Version : Wilco

thepickups
04-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Ok, so I searched for a thread and didn't find any, so here is my one.

Wilco- Chicago based. The members include: Jeff Tweedy, John Stirratt, Glen Kotche, Nels Cline, Pat Sansone and Mikael Jorgensen. They play Rock/Acoustic/Alt/Folk/Country, and might I say, they do it justice.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/thepickups/tweedy.jpg

They are, in my opinion, one of the world?s best bands, in respect to their albums and their live shows. Tweedy himself, is a genius. He's an admitted alcoholic, depressive and migraine sufferer (sp?) and combines a lot of this into his amazing music. Not only are they superb multi-instrumentalists which make extremely distinctive and well constructed music, but the lyrics are also, even by themselves; just stunning. It's poetry for the clever man. Lots of lovely imagery, clever metaphors and really smoothe romantic couplets. Jeff's voice can be rough and ragged at one moment, filled with pure emotion and soul, and then he can switch instantaneously to a soft slur or whisper that can liquify your trembeling body on the spot. It's the kind of voice you never get tired of, yet is always unique.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/thepickups/wwwooot.jpg

Their albums include:

A Ghost is Born
A.M.
Being There
Kicking Television
Summer Teeth
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

And a few more, including the Billy Bragg ones.

I could honestly write a prose of pure praise for this band and it would still not cover how good they are.

If you like good music, and I mean really appreciate good music, then check them out. They aren't unknown, but not main-stream either.

I can honestly just say, wow.

Here?s their myspace:-

http://www.myspace.com/wilco

But please, only check them out if you actually appreciate music fully, they?re the kind of band which only deserve proper respect.

EDIT: If you appreciate Wilco, check out his old band Uncle Tupelo (Quite country/rock ish), Loose Fur (New Band/Side project) and even Son Volt (which includes Jay Farrar).

jallas
04-11-2006, 04:04 PM
tyler made me buy a ghost is born agessss ago
and it's ****ing awesome.
my brother has yankee hotel foxtrot, but i've never really been able to get that much into it tbh.
great band though :)

thepickups
04-11-2006, 04:07 PM
tyler made me buy a ghost is born agessss ago
and it's ****ing awesome.
my brother has yankee hotel foxtrot, but i've never really been able to get that much into it tbh.
great band though

No! Get Summer Teeth!

And also, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot=love. I have the dvd and it's so amazing.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
Ashes Of American Flags
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm The Man Who Loves You

how can't you love it!

Nightfreak
04-11-2006, 04:11 PM
:D I've just been playing some Wilco myself.

Wishful Thinking is brilliant!

thepickups
04-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Wishful Thinking is brilliant!

*Picks up guitar*

Dashboard89
04-11-2006, 04:17 PM
wilco is genius.

You're bio was so brilliantly written. OmGzZzZ

awesome stuff.

frying nemo08
04-11-2006, 04:18 PM
yankee hotel foxtrot is one of my favorite albums ever.

thepickups
04-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Actually, where are the chords for Wishful Thinking?

EDIT: http://12stringblues.com/wilco_aghostisborn_wishfulthinking_tab

got it

Andrewbiles
04-11-2006, 04:43 PM
I've found over time that I really hate them on CDs, but all the live footage I've seen I've enjoyed.

thepickups
04-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Got the DVD?

It's amazing.

Gurgle!Argh!
04-11-2006, 04:52 PM
yeah, i like them lots. i kinda prefer uncle tupelo in a lot of ways though.

slinks
04-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I go in spurts with them. I'll listen to them almost constantly for maybe a week or so, then tuck them away for a while. I think I like Being There the best, though Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is close.

MattDaviesFFAF
04-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I have A Ghost Is Born and Yankee Foxtrot Hotel but I haven't properly listened to them yet.

I will, I swear

Glen_Hansard
04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I have one of their songs, I can't remember what I thought of it...

utsapp89
04-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Kicking Television is one of the better live albums I've listened to in a while.

thepickups
04-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeh, I'd agree. It beat Bright Eyes' Motion Sickness by alot. Even though it was cool.

pumpkins_rule
04-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Someone should put this up as a BOTW, seeing as this guy must have put quite an effort into writing all of that.

mattlock
04-12-2006, 08:16 PM
My girlfriend got me into them. It's definately an acquired taste. They do what they do brilliantly.

Doctor Robert
04-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Out of the three Wilco albums I have, I'd rank them as follows.

1. Summerteeth
2. YFH
3. AGIB

Can anyone tell me what Being There is like?

thepickups
04-13-2006, 08:06 AM
^There's a word that describes it that rhymes with hate and starts with a "g".

Someone should put this up as a BOTW, seeing as this guy must have put quite an effort into writing all of that.

Damn right, but if they do, I'll write some more, add pics, add an album review and bulk in out.

Glen_Hansard
04-13-2006, 09:00 AM
^There's a word that describes it that rhymes with hate and starts with a "g".

:eek: gate!?

thepickups
04-13-2006, 10:11 AM
If you want.

It's a gate, as in; it can stay shut if you don't take a listen to it, or it can open you up to marvelous things.

Oui?
Ja?
Yes?

Just going to do an album review of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, put it up later.

Liam Alan
04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
No! Get Summer Teeth!

And also, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot=love. I have the dvd and it's so amazing.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
Ashes Of American Flags
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm The Man Who Loves You

how can't you love it!

Great points, except for Heavy Metal Drummer. God I hate that song. Ashes is brilliant. A side note according to Bob Dylan they own some of Guthrie's unreleased music. I am not sure what song they are. I have never checked up on it. I know your a big Dylan fan (almost as big as me :D) So I figured you would find that interesting. He had a story in his biography of how he walked through a swamp to Guthrie's house just to get the songs but the family wouldn't hand them over. Some how Wilco ended up with them.

thepickups
04-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Great points, except for Heavy Metal Drummer. God I hate that song. Ashes is brilliant. A side note according to Bob Dylan they own some of Guthrie's unreleased music. I am not sure what song they are. I have never checked up on it. I know your a big Dylan fan (almost as big as me ) So I figured you would find that interesting. He had a story in his biography of how he walked through a swamp to Guthrie's house just to get the songs but the family wouldn't hand them over. Some how Wilco ended up with them.

Woah cool. Yeh I have both the Billy Bragg and Wilco albums which use Gutherie's Work. I'm seeing Billy Bragg live soon too!

Check out my dmusic for my cover of american flags and others, it's in my sig.

Got to finish my review now!

PS- I am the biggest Dylan fan!

Liam Alan
04-13-2006, 11:26 AM
PS- I am the biggest Dylan fan!

Sure, just keep telling yourself that. :D

Jk, yeah I liked the effects on the voice and that bend you put in there. Good job.

thepickups
04-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks. Just about to finish off review. 5 mins and it'll be up. Check it out.

pumpkins_rule
04-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Great points, except for Heavy Metal Drummer. God I hate that song. Ashes is brilliant. A side note according to Bob Dylan they own some of Guthrie's unreleased music. I am not sure what song they are. I have never checked up on it. I know your a big Dylan fan (almost as big as me :D) So I figured you would find that interesting. He had a story in his biography of how he walked through a swamp to Guthrie's house just to get the songs but the family wouldn't hand them over. Some how Wilco ended up with them.

How can you hate Heavy Metal Drummer :eek:

KidC
04-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Ive got Being There. It's pretty good.

ohdarn323
04-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Kicking Television was no more exciting than any Wilco bootleg I've heard, and less so than some. I can't decide whether I like Summer Teeth or YHF better. Great band.

thepickups
04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
t t t tyler

check out my album review that's stickied

and my cover in my sig

ibanez901
04-16-2006, 01:35 AM
can someone PM me their albums ...zip em and upload them through yousendit.com thanks.

unplugged110
04-16-2006, 01:44 AM
can someone PM me their albums ...zip em and upload them through yousendit.com thanks.

hey man, i think wilco is a band you should probably plop down 12$ for and take a chance on thier music . i will tell you that you wont be dissapointed.

thepickups
04-16-2006, 06:02 AM
can someone PM me their albums ...zip em and upload them through yousendit.com thanks

don't rip them off, buy their music, don't steal it

Paint
05-25-2006, 09:31 PM
i heard nels clive is on the new cd?

Fugazirancid
03-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is ridiculously good. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart is an amazing song.

I just got "A Ghost is Born," too. Haven't listened to the whole thing, but from what I've heard so far, it's quite swellular.

Tsunoyukami
03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I've never heard anything by them, but on a cd my cousin recorded he had a couple Wilco covers and they sounded like great songs.

I think I shall have to purchase an album and check them out, because from what I hear they seem brilliant.

somewhat_here
03-29-2007, 05:56 PM
i can sing the cure's in between days over wilco's pot kettle black. because i have the funky fresh tongue.

STRAT811
03-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Amazing. One of my favorites.

paintITblack39
03-30-2007, 03:20 PM
I like Wilco. Their guitarist is really really good.

Caustic
03-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is fantastic. I've not heard anything else by them though.

uhh_me?
03-30-2007, 07:32 PM
i like the new album. it is pretty good, not as good as the older stuff though.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
04-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Can someone help me get tabs/music for "Whats the World Got in Store"?

uhh_me?
04-12-2007, 03:37 PM
http://www.gumbopages.com/music/wilco/songs/whats.the.world.got.in.store.txt
there
you are welcome

"Tele" Steve
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I've seen Wilco live three times. Good band, although I wasn't too impressed with A Ghost is Born. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their best album in my opinion.

the_experience
04-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Their new album, "Sky Blue Sky", isn;t out yet is it?

Either way, my old guitar teacher sent me a link to a place where I could download the whole CD a while ago....and I liked it a lot (On and On and On is an awesome song)....I'm gonna go buy it!

WyldeGibsonPlyr
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
^Doesn't hit stores officially until May 15th. I've chosen not to hear any songs until it comes out, for better suspense. ;)

http://www.gumbopages.com/music/wilco/songs/whats.the.world.got.in.store.txt
there
you are welcome

Thanks, bro. :)

uhh_me?
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I've seen Wilco live three times. Good band, although I wasn't too impressed with A Ghost is Born. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their best album in my opinion.
i will have seen them three times come the end of june. they were amazing live the one time i saw them. plus all the boots i have are great. i can only think of one that is mediocre...can anyone guess which one?

Their new album, "Sky Blue Sky", isn;t out yet is it?

Either way, my old guitar teacher sent me a link to a place where I could download the whole CD a while ago....and I liked it a lot (On and On and On is an awesome song)....I'm gonna go buy it!
not out yet, may 15th. they streamed it and it got leaked to the internets. that is what you have. i am going to preorder it so i can get one of the nifty exclusive shirts.

Tsunoyukami
06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Just bought "Yankee Foxtrot Hotel" today, so I'll give it a listen soon. I hope it's as good (or better) than Sky Blue Sky :)

Caustic
06-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh, it is.

I've now heard Sky Blue Sky, Summer Teeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born from these guys.

I think Summer Teeth might be my favourite, but Yankee Hotel Foxtrot > Sky Blue Sky in my opinion.

Kicking Television is excellent too, but I'm yet to own it.

OLP1
06-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Im pretty pissed off, I missed the tickets sale for their show at massey Hall in Toronto and now it sold out, would of really liked to see that

WyldeGibsonPlyr
06-19-2007, 06:01 PM
It sucks, i'll be in Duluth at Bayfront park from Aug 8-13 for the Bayfront Blues Festival. Im leaving on the 13th, and Wilco is playing Bayfront Park on the 14th.

Fuck that. :(

Yertle
06-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Seeing them out of doors in a week. I am soooo excited.

uhh_me?
06-20-2007, 02:02 AM
Seeing them out of doors in a week. I am soooo excited.
the vt show or the noho show? i am going to be at the one in noho
should be great, it was the last time i saw them there

also according to my friend they sounded amazing at bonnaroo...i skipped there set to see the decemberists and feist

somewhat_here
06-20-2007, 02:15 AM
whoa they're coming to winnipeg on aug. 15 but i have no one to go with again. damn my asian friends! not that there's anything wrong with being asian.

STRAT811
06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I really waned to get to the Pines show, but it sold out too soon. I used to live in NoHo. Good place.

uhh_me?
06-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I really waned to get to the Pines show, but it sold out too soon. I used to live in NoHo. Good place.
uh oh
it is sold out
how will i break the news to my brother that i have no ticket for him... :(

Tsunoyukami
07-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Well I must say that I am enjoying both Yankee Foxtrot Hotel and Sky Blue Sky.

I know my cousin did some covers of Wilco songs. What album is Theologians on, because that song was awesome when my cousin did it.

uhh_me?
07-03-2007, 09:31 AM
theologians is on a ghost is born
i love that album so much

kleenx
12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
So far I have:

1. AM
2. Being There (sweet banjo part in What's the World Got in Store)
3. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (my favorite)
4. Sky Blue Sky

I'm so excited about getting to see them in March. They definitely are a great band.

ratsandthefleas
12-21-2007, 10:25 AM
i enjoy wilco. they're decent. yankee hotel foxtrot and sky blue sky are really good. eh. i dunno. they're kinda just 'there' to me, ya know?

WyldeGibsonPlyr
12-21-2007, 06:44 PM
i enjoy wilco. they're decent. yankee hotel foxtrot and sky blue sky are really good. eh. i dunno. they're kinda just 'there' to me, ya know?

No, I don't know. All I know is that Wilco are the greatest band on the planet and if you don't know that feeling your missing out.

See them live, you won't regret it.

dividedsky
12-26-2007, 12:35 PM
I really like Wilco, especially with the addition of Nels Cline. Sky Blue Sky is good, and the pure songwriting on Summerteeth is great throughout the album. A refreshing listen.

joshsirjoshules
12-26-2007, 05:03 PM
No, I don't know. All I know is that Wilco are the greatest band on the planet and if you don't know that feeling your missing out.

See them live, you won't regret it.

Arcade Fire and Wilco are definitely duking it out for my favorite band of all time. Wilco is definitely that band that I can love unconditionally.

bah humbug
12-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Arcade Fire are absolutely fantastic and full of potential. i think their best work is ahead of them.
but anyway, wilco rule. I actually got Yankee Hotel Foxtrot the other day for a dollar at this used store but it was on my itunes for like year ha ha

trey-col89
12-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I really want to get into Wilco, and I have Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Sky Blue Sky, but none of it has really grabbed me. I enjoy some of their songs, am indifferent towards others, and just plain dislike others. I'd like to think I have a somewhat decent taste in music. I hear such great things about them from everybody, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about, can anyone suggest some good shit to listen to by them?

Tsunoyukami
12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
I just bought A.M. today. It was on for $7.99 at Future Shop, which is the lowest I've ever seen it priced and I had to buy it. I'm just starting to listen to it now and I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

My favourite Wilco album that I own is Sky Blue Sky. I also own Yankee Foxtrot Hotel and A Ghost is Born (as well as the newly purchased A.M.. What album would you recommend I get next?

uhh_me?
12-30-2007, 10:30 PM
I really want to get into Wilco, and I have Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Sky Blue Sky, but none of it has really grabbed me. I enjoy some of their songs, am indifferent towards others, and just plain dislike others. I'd like to think I have a somewhat decent taste in music. I hear such great things about them from everybody, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about, can anyone suggest some good shit to listen to by them?
I just bought A.M. today. It was on for $7.99 at Future Shop, which is the lowest I've ever seen it priced and I had to buy it. I'm just starting to listen to it now and I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

My favourite Wilco album that I own is Sky Blue Sky. I also own Yankee Foxtrot Hotel and A Ghost is Born (as well as the newly purchased A.M.. What album would you recommend I get next?
the answer to both questions is Being There.

kleenx
01-03-2008, 03:28 AM
the answer to both questions is Being There.

Agreed. That was the CD that got me into them.

FreedomFighter
01-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Wilco are quite possibly one of the greatest American bands ever.
Sky Blue Sky is such an underrated album. Can't they accept that, when your making such dense music, that sometimes you need to crawl back to the bare basics to get a true pure melodic sound?
I got into them buy randomly buying Kicking Television and promptly got all my friends into them as well. =]

musicman0000
02-18-2008, 12:55 AM
hey arent we forgeting a great album...
Sky Blue Sky is a great one as well
i love impossible germany

Tsunoyukami
02-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I still haven't purchased Being There, but I will one day when I have money to do so. However, I will pop on A Ghost is Born shortly - right after I finish my english homework (which I have refused to do until this point).

Pardoned
02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
id have to say there best album for me is A.M... every song on there is awesome, closely followed by Being There!

and yeah Son Volt is just as, if not more awesome than Wilco... if anyones interested you have to look into "Trace" and "Straightaways" brilliant albums...

#1 synth
02-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Love wilco.

Unban the_pickups please... I miss him dearly, he was one of the best writers on the boards.

pumpkins_rule
02-23-2008, 02:55 AM
I haven't listened to Wilco in ages. We play Sky Blue Sky at work sometimes, and I'm not really feeling it. However, YHF and Summerteeth are great albums.

killsPEACHES
02-24-2008, 12:43 AM
I just saw Wilco last night in a high school auditorium in Cleveland. AMAZING.

Side note: they have like 4555503 guitars. each of their guitar players had a different guitar for each song just about.

SugarRush66
02-24-2008, 05:05 AM
I was lucky enough to see Wilco as part of a mini-festival in Glasgow last summer, twas amazing. I had to leave early though cause it was a two hour journey home and I'd been :puke: all that morning :(

And I've only got (well, my mum only has) Ghost Is Born, but I love most of that album. At Least That's What You Said is one of the most beautiful and cathartic songs I know of :heart:

Tsunoyukami
08-14-2009, 06:38 PM
How does everyone like Wilco (the album). I need to listen to it a few more times before I can properly formulate an opinion, but it seems to have some promise.