SRV Texas Flood

PDA

View Full Version : SRV Texas Flood

Ranger01
04-11-2006, 10:39 PM
(I am also posting this on the Musician Talk forum, because nobody ever seems to be on here so I am posting this there too.)

Im currently trying to learn SRV Texas Flood (my first non Floyd style soloing) and I feel really lost. So do ay of you guys have tips on playing it (or really any blues stuff for that matter). thanks. (I never really bothered to learn scales either just Floyd Solos)
Edit: Im using my Telecaster (standard non Bigsby model) because my strat is out of commission (for a long while I sense) so tips that are Telecaster related help, but Ill take anything.

The Master Plan
04-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Take it slow then once you get the feel for it play it faster.

Ranger01
04-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Ya I got that part already :peace:. but its more than that, I just cant seem to "Get it" so to speak. The style of playing just feels foreign. (if you get what I mean)

The Master Plan
04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Yea I know what you mean same with me I liked SRV stuff like 5 months ago and tried to play it but I just couldn't get it, well it was because I had practiced Hendrix's technique for like a few years. Yet now I get his style, what helped me is watching him live on dvd. If you have a dvd of him I suggest watching how his hands move.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
04-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Forget books, just practice your heart out and play from where it counts. Its all about how you feel it, not how you play it.

(I could show you some stuff too. What part of Minnesota are you located at?).

Ranger01
04-12-2006, 12:22 AM
I am located in Richfield

SlipSlidinSlim
04-12-2006, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHCx8Nbqea8&search=stevie%20ray%20vaughan

watch that, when he plays rude mood you can kind of get a sense of his style of playing.

zep123
04-13-2006, 09:57 PM
not on topic but that's my favorite srv song

The Master Plan
04-13-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm workin on playing that song so I can sing it and play it so I can record it and put it up, but It'll probably take me some time before I do. And back on topic play with heart and soul thats all you need.

Highet
04-15-2006, 07:22 AM
Stevie's actually a lot more funkier than he sounds. But anyway, it's all very rhythmic so he'll play everything in time so that his voice can have a small break to sing. There's a LOT of bending involved you have to relax and get back to the roots of guitar playing, play it slow and "cool." Just solo in the blues scale slowly with bends but very it so it sounds unique.

Hope that helped a little.

B.B
04-15-2006, 03:19 PM
i recommend - Live at the El Mocambo DVD

also, by the album Texas flood, listen to it alot. take a track like Pride and Joy and play

along. Solo over the top of the track. do this alot. i found after doing this you just start to

get into his style. he uses alot of double stopping.

also perhaps try learning the solo to "cold shot" - again good for his style

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/artists_lounge/hall_of_legends/stevie_ray.htm

hope that helped

ChrisDG21
12-14-2008, 12:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U

0:53 - 1:03 if anyone gots the tabs to that riff give me a link to it or a video that shows how it's done!!!

The Master Plan
12-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Wow this thread is ancient...

ze monsta
12-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Why the **** did you bump this???

And to answer your question - Learn to play Hendrix songs and you'll do it just fine.

The Master Plan
12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Why the **** did you bump this???

And to answer your question - Learn to play Hendrix songs and you'll do it just fine.
Yeah I have no idea why this 08'r bumped this, but now I wanna know how good the OP has gotten.

j_hunter_hkr
12-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Anyone still wanting to know, Anthony Stauffer's lessons will help :)

http://www.steviesnacks.com/

Andrewbiles
12-14-2008, 06:47 PM
:haha That's persistence because I swear I deleted the same post yesterday that bumped this two year old thread...

Chris, please use the other SRV thread or ask in the Tab Talk forum.