Should I sing?

PDA

View Full Version : Should I sing?

taxman27
04-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Alright, I'm in a band consisting of a guitarist (me), 2 guitarists/bassists (they switch off), and a drummer. We play mostly classic rock with a little modern influence (Chili Peppers mainly). We've already written the music to 2 originals (only one has lyrics) and were building up material so we can eventually start gigging. I talked to one of the guitarists (who is also one of my best friends) recently, and he said that we're not going to find a singer and that anyone who could sing would do it. I am the only one who has a decent voice (although I think the guitarist I talked to could hae a good one with some work), so I would be most likely be thrust into the spot of lead singer. There are two problems with this. First, my voice doesn't have much energy. It's similar to Rick Wright of Pink Floyd in the fact that it's good but I couldn't sing a good rock n roll song with it. Second, I don't have the charisma to be the lead singer, which wouldn't get the audience's attention. I'd be willing to be a Pete Townshend type singer (backing vocals with some leads here and there) but I don't think I'm quite up to snuff enough to be a lead singer. So my question is, do you think I should work a little more and try to take on lead or should we find a singer instead?

merfsullivan
04-12-2006, 09:06 PM
That's the beauty about being a guitarist and a singer. You don't need to be all over the place. In fact you have to stand in the same place. So there really isn't much charisma needed. Just do what you'd normally do as a guitarist without moving away from the mic. You should be all set. You could always get someone to replace you as singer eventually.

taxman27
04-13-2006, 12:27 AM
That's the beauty about being a guitarist and a singer. You don't need to be all over the place. In fact you have to stand in the same place. So there really isn't much charisma needed. Just do what you'd normally do as a guitarist without moving away from the mic. You should be all set. You could always get someone to replace you as singer eventually.

There's 1 out of 2 :p: I think my main problem is that my voice is a little too weak to be that of a lead singer. I have a pretty good backing voice, but my lead voice is pretty ****ty. Should I try and sing lead anyway or should I do backing vox and find a singer?

stringmagician
04-13-2006, 12:36 AM
have everyone in the band sing more often and just see who's comes through as the best. thats what my band did, at first our singer was just the guy that knew all the lyrics, but eventually my voice got better and better because i sang more and the others didn't. I'm now the unofficiall lead singer and everyone's happy about it cause my voice is best now