Flipper

PDA

View Full Version : Flipper

angusfenderbend
04-13-2006, 06:55 AM
It's one to not have a lot of musical talent and have a drive to make a good record anyway so you can get your message out. But its another thing completely to make no effort to learn your instruments and then make terrible music with no message. Ive only heard a few songs from these guys but there were terrible musically. Is there anything i should know before i judge em like that or are they just horrible?

mmm... ice
04-13-2006, 07:24 AM
I think they are a great band it's a shame what happened to the singer. HaHaHa is my favourite song from them and also their cover of Nirvana's "Scentless apprentice"(sp?)

johnnynemo
04-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but the guys from Flipper were on alot of drugs, especially Will Shatter (RIP).
They liked the downers, and it shows in the music.

They also were pretty arty guys and were into making dissonant music, which they excelled at when they were the band Negative Trend.
I love the song "HaHaHa", but can't listen to most of their other stuff.

Most of the songs are too slow and dirgy, just like grunge.
In fact, when grunge happened in the early 90s, I remember saying to a friend of mine "Oh, great, now we're gonna have 10,000 bands that sound like Flipper".

As a matter of fact, I remember reading that The Melvins and Nirvana mentioned being heavily influenced by Flipper, so if you hate grunge, blame Flipper.

Mach_Baron
04-13-2006, 10:08 PM
ted is one of the most talented guitarists in punk history. if you've ever actually been to a flipper show to visually see what he's doing, you'd know what i mean. the man is all over the neck, and really pulling out some fantastic things on his guitar. it's just that he sends it all through a wall of noise and fuzz and distortion.
i remember Jade Puget from AFI saying to me that Ted was "ungodly" in his guitar prowess.

ss311
04-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Ungodly in his guitar prowess is a great way to put it

Mach_Baron
04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
it's a shame that Rick Rubin/Def American has screwed Flipper so royally.
ironic in the fact that Rubin got his start in the "music biz" playing in a Flipper tibute band.
sure wish he'd get off his butt and something with the masters that he now owns instead of just letting those recording collect dust.

Nefro
04-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Flipper is a pretty cool band.

waterproofpie
04-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Flipper is a pretty cool band.

haterz be damned

the glue man
04-26-2006, 07:47 PM
It's a true story, just ask Bruce Loose.

misfitsdisciple
04-26-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but the guys from Flipper were on alot of drugs, especially Will Shatter (RIP).
They liked the downers, and it shows in the music.

They also were pretty arty guys and were into making dissonant music, which they excelled at when they were the band Negative Trend.
I love the song "HaHaHa", but can't listen to most of their other stuff.

Most of the songs are too slow and dirgy, just like grunge.
In fact, when grunge happened in the early 90s, I remember saying to a friend of mine "Oh, great, now we're gonna have 10,000 bands that sound like Flipper".

As a matter of fact, I remember reading that The Melvins and Nirvana mentioned being heavily influenced by Flipper, so if you hate grunge, blame Flipper.

i ****ing hate artsy ****s. flipper sucks and so does folk, and vegans, i HATE vegans. go milk the ****ing cows, it makes them feel good, and eggs from chickens, are NATURAL!!

whyvern
04-26-2006, 09:59 PM
i ****ing hate artsy ****s. flipper sucks and so does folk, and vegans, i HATE vegans. go milk the ****ing cows, it makes them feel good, and eggs from chickens, are NATURAL!!

too bad it's 2006 and not 1977... oh well.

waterproofpie
04-26-2006, 10:25 PM

don't hate on vegans.
they're not taking any meat away from you so...let 'em go.

But being an art school drop out is another story...

angusfenderbend
04-27-2006, 05:21 PM
yeah but refusing to eat meat is just wasting whats already been killed. So be a friend to the cow and use it for something(ie eating or a nice jacket) so that it didnt die for no reason. Theres no way youll stop people from killing animals for food so dont make thier death pointless.

LoudnSnotty138
04-27-2006, 10:12 PM

Oh shut up. just because folk artists sing about something other than killing people and eating brains it doesnt make them bad. Just because you dont have the ability comprehend "arty" music because your used to listening to the misfits doesnt mean you have to hate them.

whats wrong with being vegan?

misfitsdisciple
04-27-2006, 10:16 PM
whats wrong with being vegan is that it deprives you of a certain nutrient which you cant get except from meat, so therefore you must take a pill which has the nutrient MADE from the meat in it, therefore you are hypocritical and i hope you die. and vegans just piss me off because they are even more elitist than most people i know, it bothers me. and why the **** would someone not drink milk, or eat eggs. Milk comes from a cow naturally and it actually feels good for the cow (ie: the cow WONT die). and eggs, well eggs are laid no matter if you eat them or not. im ok with vegetarians, just not vegans.

edit: oh yeah, and most of the songs i listen to arent about killing people or eating brains. (ie: wasted, jealous again, group sex, etc.)

edit2: i comprehend it, and hate it too! just because i listen to the misfits now and again doesnt mean im some dumb **** who doesnt know anything.

LoudnSnotty138
04-27-2006, 10:29 PM
whats wrong with being vegan is that it deprives you of a certain nutrient which you cant get except from meat, so therefore you must take a pill which has the nutrient MADE from the meat in it, therefore you are hypocritical and i hope you die. and vegans just piss me off because they are even more elitist than most people i know, it bothers me. and why the **** would someone not drink milk, or eat eggs. Milk comes from a cow naturally and it actually feels good for the cow (ie: the cow WONT die). and eggs, well eggs are laid no matter if you eat them or not. im ok with vegetarians, just not vegans.

edit: oh yeah, and most of the songs i listen to arent about killing people or eating brains. (ie: wasted, jealous again, group sex, etc.)

edit2: i comprehend it, and hate it too! just because i listen to the misfits now and again doesnt mean im some dumb **** who doesnt know anything.

Ok one im not a vegan, two a guy i know is vegan and he doesnt take any meat pills. three the cows arent gently milked they have things somewhat like a vacuum on their teets and it sucks them dry.

and judging by the songs you listed you still kind of stick to one type of music and dont broaden your horizons (although i do enjoy black flag greatly,and the circle jerks).

opivy21
04-27-2006, 10:40 PM
My cousin is vegan, and she doesn't ever talk about it. She doesn't take pills (to my knowledge), and she never bothers other people about what she eats or what they eat. So from the one vegan I know, they are not elitist or hyprocritical.

And as far as eating eggs, I can sort of understand where they (vegans) are coming from. The chickens are bread just for their eggs and are kept in small cages. Also, if people didn't eat the eggs, then they would grow up to be chickens. So I can see the logic.

UrethraSwabber
04-30-2006, 09:40 PM
dear misfit disciple...

**** YOU!!!!!!!!! Flipper is amazing, end of story. Like someone said earlier, Ted is amazing on guitar. Listen to "sex bomb" or "way of the world". Or suck on some ****. Your choice.

UrethraSwabber
04-30-2006, 09:41 PM
p.s. the misfits are gay

yuMayumA
08-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Sick burn.

gopherthegreat
08-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Sick bump.

axeslash
08-11-2008, 12:14 AM
The chickens are bread just for their eggs and are kept in small cages.
:D

yuMayumA
08-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Chickens are bread axe.

axeslash
08-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Really? My mistake.

yuMayumA
08-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Its no big deal really.

Manos15
08-11-2008, 12:39 AM
I remember that Mach_Baron guy, he was cool. Same with LoudnSnotty.

Iluvpowerchords
08-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Mach Baron was John Stabb.

misfitsdisciple
08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Sick bump.

dredging up a 2 year old thread? :-(

there is already another flipper thread.

opivy21
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
:D
I meant what I said.

gopherthegreat
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
dredging up a 2 year old thread? :-(

there is already another flipper thread.
He bumped it. I was refering to his bump.

AtlantaHardcore
08-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Does anyone have any info on Flipper's new album?

AtlantaHardcore
09-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Update: Monday, September 29, 2008
According to Amazon.com, the following Flipper titles will be rereleased on November 18, 2008:
- Album - Generic Flipper (1980)
- Gone Fishin' (1984)
- Public Flipper Limited [Live 1980 - 1985] (1986)
- Sex Bomb Baby (1988)

AtlantaHardcore
09-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Update: Monday, September 29, 2008
According to Amazon.com, the following Flipper titles will be rereleased on November 18, 2008:

- Album - Generic Flipper (1980)
- Gone Fishin' (1984)
- Public Flipper Limited [Live 1980 - 1985] (1986)
- Sex Bomb Baby (1988)

All of these CDs are $17.98 new through Amazon.

rasveer
09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
my friend got a flipper cd from the local libray :D

HiImKindaNewAnd
09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
my friend got a flipper cd from the local libray :D
:eek: I must see this library you speak of.

mike2
09-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Mach Baron was John Stabb.

yeah, i wonder how he is doing, after getting beaten...wasn't that him?