Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-Wilco-Review [Album of the Month Hint]

PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-Wilco-Review [Album of the Month Hint]

thepickups
04-13-2006, 11:38 AM
This took me ages. I feel like my eyes are being boiled in HCL, i've been looking at the screen that long.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/thepickups/untitled.jpg

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart- Undoubtedly one of the strongest songs on the album. It starts off with Wilco?s trademark (especially and essentially founded in this album) which is that drone and blur of fractured noise and drum beats. Then out from this ironically well constructed mess; comes Jeff?s voice as he mumbles- ?I am an American Aquarium Drinker?. What an intro.

With lyrics like these,

Let's forget about the tongue-tied lightning
Let's undress just like cross-eyed strangers
This is not a joke so please stop smiling
What was I thinking when I said it didn't hurt

How can one not enjoy this beauty of a song and introduction to what will soon become an epic of an album? All these lyrics melt into each other towards the finish, as yet again, this noise (that tweedy describes as ?where the track should be?) comes into action.

Kamera- Starting with a provocative beat, catchy lyrics and some stiff strumming, this track grows on the listener with ease from the first drum snatch. The lyrics here seem to be constructed with quite a lot of enjambment, which matches and compliments the music very skillfully. It seems to be written about his career, entwining various metaphors with close attention to the Camera. Maybe there to stimulate the idea of press and media.

Radio Cure- Opening with a hazy drum beat and Jeff?s uneasy voice, this seems like the first apparently obvious; sad song. Not that the others aren?t, it?s just that this one opens with a sound and touch of melancholy. It leads itself into a built up structure throughout, which ends with such a superb few lines of distorted and vague hope, by which he repeats;

?Oh, distance has no way of making love understandable?.

War On War- This begins with an optimistic strumming pattern of two conjoining guitars and a blend of background noises similar to Snug?s, Ed Harcourt?s old band. I think the meaning of the song is pretty clear, even by the title. I just like the way the lyrics evolve, take for instance the was he sounds so evening with the listener,

?You have to die
You have to die
You have to learn how to die
if you want to want to be alive, okay??

As if, you?re going to die, live with it.

Jesus, Etc.- What a title. It makes me smirk. To the song, ok; for starts, look at the lyrics and just read how well they flow even without the music to back them up. The subtle rhymes and clever structure just works wonders. As for the meanings behind the words, they?re just great. For instance, look how he makes such a simple idea clever;

?Our love
Out of
Our love is all we have
Our love
Our love is all of God's money?

I don?t think there?s much point in expanding upon this song. The meaning is great. The music is great. Caphice?

Ashes Of American Flags- First off, a little bit of self advertisement is due, so; check out my cover here: - http://adouzenaday.dmusic.com/ Ok, to the song. This is probably my favorite on the album. It starts off with a guitar riff making its way through the jangle of some distant bells. Then from in between this clamor of beauty comes Jeff singing, ?The cash machine is blue and green?. The lyrics seem pretty contemporary to me with a mix of wit and observations of a wise young man. The rhyming scheme is clever and subtle, as per usual with Tweedy?s work. His voice matches it very well, with it being soft and smoother than usual, with just a tint of a smoker?s throat in there somewhere. HE sounds quite desperate and the lyrics obviously state this,

?I'm down on my hands and knees
every time a doorbell rings
I shake like a toothache
when I hear myself sing

All my lies are only wishes
I know I would die if I could come back new?

This song could well be linked to his depression. It has a lot of disheartening words and metaphors and he sings it in his regretful kind of tone.

It ends as if his voice and music has succumbed to the general noise of the world. You have to listen to understand. Believe me.

Heavy Metal Drummer- A really upbeat song. I actually know the proper meaning to this and not just some mis-constructed interpretation I have come to. It is based upon the general view point of him as a child. He used to go to this club where bands would play, called ?The Landing?, with his ?ex friend, Jay Farrar. They?d watch all these ?heavy metal? posers dancing and rocking to what they thought was the best music ever, as Jeff and Jay would sit at the top; just laughing at them. It?s basically nostalgia setting in and how he wishes that he could go back and just have a laugh.

I'm The Man Who Loves You- Probably the best opening of any song, with just a simple slide between two frets. Then in comes the trebled up guitar with an amazingly awkward leading bend of strings, with no apparent co-ordination between the beat and the guitar. This continues throughout and leaves you with a smile at how much of a happy go lucky this song turns out as. The meaning is evident, and the music is just brilliant.

Pot Kettle Black- Another nice opening, guitars, drums, and some organ sounding machine. It then evens itself out to a quiet mix of instruments as he sings. Then as he finishes each verse, back comes the mix of instruments. And so on. A great, up-beat song.

Poor Places- Another strong song to add to the collection. Quite a poignant song, with just some background reverb to compliment Jeff?s voice. It?s as if he?s standing up for his band here and giving his all by himself. As it moves on, his band contribute to his lone voice and everything assembles another cool song, with a ?different? ending than you?d expect, but still suits the album?s feel. All I can say is- ?Yannkeee Huuteelll Fuxxtruuut?.

Reservations- Last song. Concludes the album superbly. Lovely lyrics, lovely melody, lovely everything. A very sweet ending to an outstanding album. With lyrics such as:-

?I know this isn't what you were wanting me to say
How can I get closer and be further away
From the truth that proves it's beautiful to lie?

Just beautiful.

I?m sorry for any typo?s, I?ll recheck it later sometime.

By GBM

HendrixEdge
04-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Definitely an album that I have to spend a little time with; after my continual dancing and baggy pretensions come to an end.

Decent read. :p:

Young guns go for it Glen, they go for it.

thepickups
04-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks, took ages!

busby_bass
04-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Wooot Someone else is doing AOTW's, I got bored of doing them for the indie forum :p:

Good read man, I'll check the album out, make sure you do another one :p:

EDIT :Just noticed that wasn't an AOTW, wel you should do one then :p:

:wtf:

thepickups
04-13-2006, 03:25 PM
EDIT :Just noticed that wasn't an AOTW, wel you should do one then

It better be stickied. Took me ages.

Edit:

it's stickied

thanks

Andrewbiles
04-13-2006, 05:14 PM
^ It was stickied about two hours before you posted that :haha

pumpkins_rule
04-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Killer album. Everyone could use some Wilco.

unplugged110
04-13-2006, 08:51 PM
The best album of the 21st century so far! (maybe). Wilco is also one hell of a live act...

ohdarn323
04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Kotche is a great musician. I love this album.

#1 synth
04-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Well, another album to put on my list of albums to buy, I love the other album i have from them (cant remember name) and i'm sure this one wont dissapoint. Great review by the way Glenn :)

cliff_em_all
04-19-2006, 12:24 PM
i love wilco, i am trying to break your heart is my favortie song for the lyrics

Floydian03
04-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Wilco rock. Thanks for the insight on the songs. It took me 2 listens to YHF before I got hooked. And this CD got me looking for indie stuff instead of mainstream junk. Hey Wilco probably saved me from emo! :D

moonshadowmajik
04-24-2006, 11:51 AM
If there is a God, he definately helped Wilco out real good here, this CD makes my pants get very dizzy, so to speak, in a good way

balltounge
04-28-2006, 03:26 AM
The albums allright, hardly anything worth jizzing over.

thepickups
05-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I jizz in your face for having an opinion that isn't the same as mine, you narrow-minded being.

;)

balltounge
05-23-2006, 11:44 AM
ew, Salty.

thepickups
05-23-2006, 11:45 AM
*yum

starsnostars
05-27-2006, 03:31 AM
i love chicago, and i love that album cover. but no matter how hard i try, i do not like that album.

joshsirjoshules
05-27-2006, 01:35 PM
This album is pure genius, no matter what anyone says. It's a shame, they got kicked off their record label for making the best album of their career.

thepickups
05-27-2006, 02:22 PM
This album is pure genius, no matter what anyone says. It's a shame, they got kicked off their record label for making the best album of their career.

They were kicked off a label on Warner but then signed by another label, which coincidently were owned by Warner. So really, they sold them to themselves, or bought them from themselves.

It's all on the DVD.

radiofight202
05-31-2006, 12:51 AM
i love this cd. it's been in my car stereo for 5 straight weeks.

I hope they stop by san diego sometime soon

thepickups
05-31-2006, 12:06 PM
yeh I'm trying to find out when they're touring uk.

ps-if your car gets stolen this week, don't look at me...

ando3300
05-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I love this album. It is very very very good. Summerteeth comes close, but A Ghost Is Born does not.

joshsirjoshules
05-31-2006, 11:22 PM
I love this album. It is very very very good. Summerteeth comes close, but A Ghost Is Born does not.

A Ghost Is Born is more experimental, America's answer to Radiohead basically. It's a brilliant album, I hold all Wilco albums equal.

j0nmcc
06-06-2006, 06:46 PM
kk, hope you dont mind...ive unstuck this.

if someone wants to write a new one...feel free.