04-13-2006, 06:46 PM
alright here's what i already have of him:

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
After the Goldrush
Harvest
On The Beach
Zuma
Come's a Time
Live Rust (it's on my computer but i don't have the actual cd yet)
Freedom (don't have it yet, but i orded it online, i should get it tomorrow)

so anyway, what else should i get by him? i'm definitely going to get Tonight's the Night and Rust Never Sleeps but is there anytning else?

and is his new album Prarie Wind any good?

johnnystarr
04-13-2006, 06:50 PM
just if u want somthing cheap get the greatest hits there all like 6.99

Spin21
04-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey man,

You have a great start going with your catalog so far, and in my opinion, Neil hasn't put out a "bad" album in his career.

I would really reccommend his greatest hits album as its a great collection of all era's of Neil including some CSNY combinations. Harvest Moon is incredible, as well is Decade, Silver and Gold, and ragged glory.

In my opinion Prarie Wind is also Neil at his finest, thought it is a bit different from some of his older stuff; very introspective and melodic..an excellent excellent album.

Hope this helps

AICriff008
04-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Tonight's The Night is one of his best albums, so I would definately look into that.

As huge as a Young fan as I am, I have to somehwat disagree with Spin21 about the no bad albums thing. Some of his albums he put out in the 80's, such as Hawks And Doves, Life, and Reactor are actually pretty bad.

Prairie Wind is a pretty amazing record, very emotional and heartfelt, and great if your into his country-rock stuff like in Harvest, or Harvest Moon (another great album - check it out!)

Ragged Glory and Sleeps With Angels are two very good records with Crazy Horse, as well as his 2001 concept album Greendale. Even without counting the story behind the album, it's got some great music.

American Stars N' Bars is an album I believe is underappreciated, and might be a good one for you to look into, especially since it includes one of his more famous songs, Like A Hurricane.

If your into experimenting a little, theres always Everybody's Rockin' (rockabilly/early rock album), This Note's For You (blues/R&B album), Are You Passionate (cool, soft album with Booker T & The MG's), Mirrorball (grungy rock with Pearl Jam), and for the very daring, Trans (weird techno album where he uses a vocoder to "disguise" his voice...pretty funky stuff).

:cool:

P.S. If your really into him, I'd recommend you look into some of his stuff with CSNY and Buffalo Springfield. Some of his best songs in those days, and his few (two I think, off the top of my head) contributions to CSNY's Deja Vu were pretty mind-blowing tracks.

KingBrendan5149
04-13-2006, 07:56 PM
^ yeah, i have CSN's self titled debut and Four Way Street on my computer and they're great.

gtrfrk123
04-13-2006, 08:00 PM
If you want good songs by him, i recomend "Hey Hey, My My", "Rockin in the freeworld",
"Heart of gold" and "Ohio"

BrainDamage
04-13-2006, 08:02 PM
KingBrendan, (besides the ones you mentioned,) I have Rust Never Sleeps, Prarie Wind, Silver and Gold, Harvest Moon, Unplugged, Sleeps With Angels, and Ragged Glory if you are interested in some trades ;)

AICriff008, you seem like you know your Neil...I was looking into getting Greendale, and maybe even Mirror Ball and This Note's For You. I've heard some good things about Greendale, but what about the other two?

EDIT: just thought I'd add this...I picked up Ragged Glory last week, after hearing some great things about the album, and what I heard was right. Ragged Glory is an awesome Neil Young w/Crazy Horse album.

KingBrendan5149
04-13-2006, 08:04 PM
^ sweet. :D are you on AIM right now?

AICriff008
04-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Mirror Ball is pretty good, its actually kind of got that classic 90's era Crazy Horse sound, but of course with Pearl Jam instead. Has some cool solos, but most of it is some pretty heavy chord-work with Young's vocals over top. Sometimes the super-loud guitars drown out Neil's voice, but it isnt that bad. Also has two cool little like 1-minute pump organ tracks that provide good contrast to the rest of the album.

This Note's For you is good, but if your looking for a really classic-blues sound, then this may not really be your thing. In my opinion its a little more R&B oriented, with the horns and stuff. Definately not a bad record, though if your going in that direction I think Are You Passionate is better musically, though a little less on the blues side and more...not really sure how to describe it, but kind of mellow stuff where Neil is quoted to have "tried to play his guitar like a saxophone" - and made it work and sound really cool. It also includes one of his best 90's Crazy-Horse tracks stuck right in the middle, Going Home.

The Greendale double disc with the Live at St. Vicar DVD is definately worth the money, as you get the entire album in both crazy-horse rock and acoustic versions. The interplay between Neil and the crowd during St. Vicar is quite entertainign as well.

KingBrendan5149
04-13-2006, 08:14 PM
^ geezzz.....you really are the Neil Young guru. :p:

AICriff008
04-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Haha, well if you want to learn more about Mr. Young, check out his biography Shakey...thats actually where I got a majority of my knowledge from. :)

BrainDamage
04-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks AlCriff, last question...about Neil's debut album. I love The Loner, but that's really the only song I've heard from it (Live Rust :D ). Good album? not good?

do you have AIM/AOL and are you willing to trade?

AICriff008
04-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Neil Young is actually one of the few albums I don't personally have, but I've heard it a few times, and to me it doesn't really have that raw "Neil Young sound" to it. So yeah, I'm pro'lly not the greatest authority on it haha.

But...

From what I've heard, the album is a little less...rough than his other things (as in more produced and all), and he uses a lot of overdubbing and the like (which Neil refrained from using later on). Personally, I prefer "The Loner" from Live Rust, and "The Old Laughing Lady" from Unplugged rather than the debut versions.

*shrug*

BrainDamage
04-13-2006, 08:38 PM
^^alrighty, maybe if I find it used/cheap I'll pick it up.

My next buys are Greendale, Tonight's The Night, Weld, and possibly Mirror Ball.

AlCriff, read the small/white print in my other post :)

AICriff008
04-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Haha, actually I think you sent me an Allman Brothers show a few months back. But yeah, sure thing.

AIM is the same as my username: AICriff008

:)

BrainDamage
04-13-2006, 08:41 PM
^^aha, you are right :cool: when you are on, we must trade :p:

KingBrendan5149
04-13-2006, 09:36 PM
just out of curiosity, AICriff008 what's your favorite Neil Young album?

AICriff008
04-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Wow thats a hard question...but I'd have to go with...On The Beach. I just love the mellow, moody feel of it, especially on the title track and on Motion Pictures. :)

KingBrendan5149
04-14-2006, 09:07 AM
^ yeah that's a good one.

my 2 favorites are probably Zuma and Everybody Knows....Great stuff.

Rhinosaur Bones
04-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Freedom has some really good tracks on it, but then others are somewhat mediocre, particularly the coma-inducing second song. Unplugged is a must-have, most definitly, even though most of the tracks are available elsewhere, it's a very passionate live performance. Rust Never Sleeps is really good, even though you already said you were going to get it. At first I was underwhelmed by it, but it's definitly grown on me.

AICriff008
04-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Huh, I actually really like the second track [of Freedom], Crime In The City...
Each to their own I guess. But yeah, another amazing album...

Oh yeah, and Unplugged has a cool acoustic version of Mr. Soul form Neil's Buffalo Springfield days as well. :cool:

Rhinosaur Bones
04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I just thought the lyrics to Crime in the City were sort of forced, like he was just shaping them to fit the rhyming scheme. Plus it's so repetitive.

KingBrendan5149
04-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Freedom finally came today. It's Great. :)

HelpImARock
04-14-2006, 04:27 PM
I think he has an album called Rust Never Sleeps, you could check out.

And buy some Buffalo Springfield album's, he was in them.

get-born
04-14-2006, 04:40 PM
get his new lbum, praire wind, then tell me how it is...

KingBrendan5149
04-15-2006, 12:19 AM
^ some people have already commented about it on the first page.

KingBrendan5149
04-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Prairie Wind is a pretty amazing record, very emotional and heartfelt, and great if your into his country-rock stuff like in Harvest, or Harvest Moon (another great album - check it out!)

BrainDamage sent me Prairie Wind the other day and you're right, it is an amazing record. i think i may even like it more than Harvest to be honest. i definitely need to pick up the actual album of that. He sent Ragged Glory and Unplugged too but i haven't had a chance to listen to them yet but i probably will today.

AICriff008
04-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I definately think it's better than harvest. To me it's a far more emotional and personal record. Plus it doesnt suffer from those...um, questionable orchestra tracks. My personal favorites off the album are The Painter, No Wonder and This Old Guitar. Unbelievable, especially considering what he was going through at the time.

Rhinosaur Bones
04-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Aww man, I loved the orchestral parts in Harvest.

AICriff008
04-16-2006, 01:40 AM
Eh, I thought that like on "A Man Needs a Maid" it just...the really dramatic orchestration doesn't seem to fit with the lyrics. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Rhinosaur Bones
04-16-2006, 02:19 AM
I guess it was the mood that Young was trying to potray though. Maybe he was feeling gloomy at the time.

Hauf
04-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, I am a huge Rustie.

I have 52 of his albums ( about 20 of which have yet to be released) but thats beside the point. I also ahve about 8 DVD's. lol

Neils music is all very good.

Here are a few of my recommendations. The genres arn't very accurate as to the music in the albums but just to give you sort of idea of whats on the albums.

Folk:
Harvest
Harvest Moon
Silver and Gold

Rock:
Road Rock, live at Red Rocks. (features All Along the Watchtower)
Neil Young
Are you Passionate?
Sleeps with Angels (kind of a weird album but its good)

Rhinosaur Bones
04-19-2006, 01:42 AM
^ How can you have 20 albums which aren't released?

Andrewbiles
04-19-2006, 06:22 AM
:haha Probably means unreleased songs and bootlegs that aren't ever planned to be released but are easily downloadable off the internet.

Angus76
04-19-2006, 10:01 AM
After the Goldrush is my favorite along with Rockin' in the freeworld

BrainDamage
04-20-2006, 08:16 PM
:haha Probably means unreleased songs and bootlegs that aren't ever planned to be released but are easily downloadable off the internet. actually, Neil has had a bunch of unreleased albums. The one that comes to the top of my head was put aside in favor of Tonight's the Night back in the 70s. I think he's going to be releasing some of this stuff in the near future.

AICriff008
04-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Time Fades Away was an unreleased live album in the TtN and OtB era.
Plus he recorded an album called Homegrown that was never released, but most of it's songs were distributed and re-recorded for various other albums he did, like Hawks And Doves.

BrainDamage
04-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Time Fades Away was an unreleased live album in the TtN and OtB era. I actually have that on vinyl. I need to convert that into a CD somehow...(I know you can do it, but I don't have the necessary materials).

AICriff008
04-21-2006, 01:48 AM
I heard that the album on vinyl goes for quite a lot nowadays.
If you manage to get it converted btw, make sure and give me a call. ;)

Rhinosaur Bones
04-21-2006, 03:26 AM
I think there are places where you can pay to have vinyl converted to MP3 or CD.

BrainDamage
04-21-2006, 09:18 PM
^^yeah, but I'm looking into buying something that will do it...my dad has a ton of vinyl sitting around that he wants to get rid of (in other words, get them on CD).

I heard that the album on vinyl goes for quite a lot nowadays.
If you manage to get it converted btw, make sure and give me a call. ;) will do :)

slinks
04-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Get Mirrorball, it's Neil Young and Pearl Jam together and is a great album. Also get Unplugged.

KingBrendan5149
04-23-2006, 01:33 AM
i just realized that my dad had the Broken Arrow CD. so it's techniqually mine now since he never listens to them.

does anybody have it? and thoughts on it?

BrainDamage
04-23-2006, 02:12 PM
^^I don't have it, but as soon as you sign on AIM I will ;)

Rock1986
04-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Okay, I just got Prairie Wind today, and am I going crazy or does this old guitar sound a lot like Harvest Moon?

jimiange
04-23-2006, 09:05 PM
There are two 4 Way Street cds out, be sure to get the one with the bonus tracks which include a 9 minute melody of Neil doing The Loner, Cinnamon Girl & Down By The River.
its worth every nickel just for that.

And I suggest the CSN box set. Not much CSNY on there, but a several alt takes of tunes that make it worth the money as well.

I think I have every legally released Neil album/cd including a cool Italian 4 cd set called Rock n Roll Cowboy. This cd was available in stores about 10 years ago. It features live bootleg songs dating back to The Buffalo Springfield and through 1995. so you might be able to find it on Ebay.

I also sugget all three Buffalo Springfield releases. Most of Neils songs are sung by the great Richie Furay.

jimiange
04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Okay, I just got Prairie Wind today, and am I going crazy or does this old guitar sound a lot like Harvest Moon?

Many tout this as one of his best, but I disagree. I don't think it is as good as Silver & Gold from 2000 which I say is one of his better records in the acoustic mode.

jimiange
04-23-2006, 09:09 PM
i just realized that my dad had the Broken Arrow CD. so it's techniqually mine now since he never listens to them.

does anybody have it? and thoughts on it?

I am a HUGE Neil fan, but this one bores me.

BrainDamage
04-23-2006, 09:22 PM
There are two 4 Way Street cds out, be sure to get the one with the bonus tracks which include a 9 minute melody of Neil doing The Loner, Cinnamon Girl & Down By The River.
its worth every nickel just for that. That's the one I have...what a great medley that is :cool:

KingBrendan5149
04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
its worth every nickel just for that.

yeah i have that on my computer and i like it a lot.

liesofautumn
04-25-2006, 06:27 PM
My fave is either After The Goldrush or Rust Never Sleeps. I also loove the song Southern Man